• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania Lords of Shadow 2 - |OT| - Dead and Loving It!

I AM in some euphoric high. That's why I'm posting my official review two days from now. But that hype was caused by the fight I was anticipating the most delivering all I wanted from it, excuse me, but I think I can allow myself to have a raging fanboy moment once in a while. I deserve it you know. And for the record, as I was with expetactions lowered I think I enjoyed the game more. I expected mediocrity all around, and, surprise, that didn't happen. The game is another slowburn just like the first one but one with faar less fat. It's not TLOU ffs, it's the Lords of Shadow sequel, the improved LoS sequel. That's more than enough for me. This is like AC2-->Brotherhood.

I'm about to face the last boss. Wish me luck.

How long is your playtime? You seemed to just destroy it it seems. The first game, even replaying it takes me about 15 hours or sol

Sidzed2

The game's release in Australia has been delayed to 6 March 2014. A whole week.

This ALWAYS happens with Konami games down under. It's ludicrous.

Ahasverus

Oh man. They weren't joking about the final boss being -gameplay spoilers-
DMC like
. it is. And it's kicking my ass. Badly.
How long is your playtime? You seemed to just destroy it it seems. The first game, even replaying it takes me about 15 hours or sol
Yeah I destroyed it. I skipped the cutscenes of about the first 4 hours of the game as I knew them already, and I had watched walkthrougs so I breezed through beginning. I didn't explore that much (which is evident by my lack of magic/health gauges, they are pretty low, which is terrible lol) because as a die hard fan I just need to know where the story is going, but I took some time every now and then. total Playtime is 13:25 aprox as of now. The stats say I have 46% completed though lol.

What? Why, that sucks.

Oh man. They weren't joking about the final boss being -gameplay spoilers-
DMC like
. it is. And it's kicking my ass. Badly.

Yeah I destroyed it. I skipped the cutscenes of about the first 4 hours of the game as I knew them already, and I had watched walkthrougs so I breezed through beginning. I didn't explore that much (which is evident by my lack of magic/health gauges, they are pretty low, which is terrible lol) because as a die hard fan I just need to know where the story is going, but I took some time every now and then. total Playtime is 13:25 aprox as of now. The stats say I have 46% completed though lol.

What? Why, that sucks.

13:25 at the last boss with little exploration and only 46% completed? The length sounds fucking awesome.

And when you say
DMC like
, you mean
DMC 1-4, not DmC,
right?

DMC 3,
like final
DMC 3,
boss.

I fixed the spoiler tags on my first post so you might want to edit my quote. My bad.

And holy fuck, that's awesome. I loved that fight.

Edit: Another question. Health and magic upgrades aren't the only things to find this time, right? God I hope not.

Oh

Ahhhhh ok then! :D Good to know.

Ahasverus

So, game over.
Ok people, I don't know.. what to say. The final boss is awesome, awesome awesome. I dunno, I'm kinda in shock, I.. just can't believe it's over. You know me, you know how many years I've been following this, you know.. I feel kinda empty. But happy, the game delivered, that's enough for me.
Edit: Another question. Health and magic upgrades aren't the only things to find this time, right? God I hope not.
There are other things that are seemingly a big chunk of the game.
They are called Kleidos nails, you need some to access the Kleidos mirror which is the, I dunno, kinda "Batman-like" challenge room mode. You're given a fight, some objectives, some of the fights have things added like a companion, things like that. The nails are lots, it seems that the final set of challenges unlock boss rush? I'm not sure. I think I won't be able to find them all even if I wanted to.

ezekial45

Banned
So, game over.
Ok people, I don't know.. what to say. The final boss is awesome, awesome awesome. I dunno, I'm kinda in shock, I.. just can't believe it's over. You know me, you know how many years I've been following this, you know.. I feel kinda empty. But happy, the game delivered, that's enough for me.

How would you rate it?

So, game over.

There are other things that are seemingly a big chunk of the game.
They are called Kleidos nails, you need some to access the Kleidos mirror which is the, I dunno, kinad "Batman-like" challenge room mode. You're given a fight, some objectives, some of the fights have things added like a compánion things like that. The nails are lots, it seems that the final set f challenges unlokcs boss rush? I'm not sure.

Oh, I see. That's a bit disappointing. I was hoping for optional combat oriented upgrades like Lament of Innocence. Oh well. Everything else sounds fantastic though. Besides apparently Agreus.

Ahasverus

Oh, I see. That's a bit disappointing. I was hoping for optional combat oriented upgrades like Lament of Innocence. Oh well. Everything else sounds fantastic though. Besides apparently Agreus.
Those are given during normal gameplay, don't worry, there are enough power ups.

How would you rate it?
With a number? It would be the most sincere 8.5 I could ever give. Improved in most aspects compared to the first, and trading some for others. It's great, just a little, a little bit short of grandness (and with grandness I mean All time classic status. This is surely one of the finest actions games of this/past gen. Top 5.). The main culprits? Agreus, because it's cheap, and the last stealth section and the following.. thing, which are cheaper (You can go through the stealth puzzles -that's what they really are- in less than 2 minues, all of them if you know what to do, only the last one feels more about luck) and some of the locales which to be honest are dissapointing knowing the things MS pulled off in the first game AND this one. Luckily the game moves at a very fast pace so you don't really stay in one single place for long.
Combat mechanics are very good, the camera is polished to hell and back (It seems they reaally wanted to adress that) the metroidvania formula feels well implemented and the exploration rewarded, the bosses are amazing (except for Agreus, again) the platfforming much better than the first one, the powers make you feel like Dracula proper, fire balls and all, the story was good and, how can I say it.. suprising? You will come to appreciate it by the end. Only the ending, the very ending feels like it owes one or two more lines. Still, when the final music notes hit. you can't help but feel elevated.

Came in expecting the worst, came out more than satisfied. Dare I say it, more than excited.

Fuck you, Edge.

Those are given during normal gameplay, don't worry, there are enough power ups.

With a number? It would be the most sincere 8.5 I could ever give. Improved in most aspects compared to the first, and trading some for others. It's great, just a little, a little bit short of grandness. The main culprits? Agreus, because it's cheap, and the last stealth section and the following.. thing, which are cheaper (You can go through the stealth puzzles -that's what they really are- in less than 2 minues, all of them if you know what to do, only the last one feels more about luck) and some of the locales which to be honest are dissapointing knowing the things MS pulled off in the first game AND this one. Luckily the game moves at a very fast pace so you don't really stay in one single place for long.
Combat mechanics are very good, the camera is polished to hell and back (It seems they reaally wanted to adress that) the metroidvania formula feels well implemented and the exploration rewarded, the bosses are amazing (except for Agreus, again) the platfforming much better than the first one, the powers make you feel like Dracula proper, fire balls and all, the story was good and, how can I say it.. suprising? You will come to appreciate it by the end. Only the ending, the very ending feels like it owes one or two more lines. Still, when the final music notes hit. you can't help but feel elevated.

Came in expecting the worst, came out more than satisfied. Dare I say it, more than excited.

Fuck you, Edge.

Right right, I wasn't worried about the amount of power ups. I was just hoping there'd be optional ones for people who go off the beaten path and/or backtrack compulsively.

Any way, I was going to buy the game the instant I could regardless of what anyone (GAFfer, reviewer, or hell, even a dev) said, but everything you've said just makes me want it even more. I need it to be Tuesday goddamnit.

Ahasverus

Any classic themes in the soundtrack?
The music is too low on the mix (I had to tone down effects to about half the slider) but I spotted a few. I don't know how to post them without spoilering some cool parts of the game however. Funnily enough, there are some LoS and MoF remakes, also playing in special aprts.

Foffy

Banned
I have a question about the plot, and this is from something I heard on the Castlevania dungeon, but I'd rather ask here as I'm a far more frequent person on GAF. This can be 100% bullshit, or I misread but...
What is Dracula? I am not sure if I glanced poorly some time ago, but weren't some users on CVD arguing that Dracula is actually only the blood of the castle? I do know some dude said the LoS canon could fit into the old canon (which was contested due to the mech shit) so I wondered if that blood thing could have been the reason.

Ahasverus

I have a question about the plot, and this is from something I heard on the Castlevania dungeon, but I'd rather ask here as I'm a far more frequent person on GAF. This can be 100% bullshit, or I misread but...
What is Dracula? I am not sure if I glanced poorly some time ago, but weren't some users on CVD arguing that Dracula is actually only the blood of the castle? I do know some dude said the LoS canon could fit into the old canon (which was contested due to the mech shit) so I wondered if that blood thing could have been the reason.
A miresable little pile of secrets? lol I don't get your question.

Foffy

Banned
A miresable little pile of secrets? lol I don't get your question.

I'll try and rephrase.
Is Dracula simply a powerful vampire by simply being a vampire due to Laura and obtaining power by killing the Forgotten One, or is there more that makes him a player of 'fate'? I know the blood of Castlevania plays a role in the game, as it turns many of Dracula's minions against him, and I was wondering what all that was about. Before more people had the game, there were supposed spoilers that "Dracula" was like, some power in the blood or some sort of jazz that used Gabriel as a vessel of sorts. Is there any sort of implication of this, or is this just a strange idea?

Dark-VIII

With a number? It would be the most sincere 8.5 I could ever give. Improved in most aspects compared to the first, and trading some for others. It's great, just a little, a little bit short of grandness (and with grandness I mean All time classic status. This is surely one of the finest actions games of this/past gen. Top 5.). The main culprits? Agreus, because it's cheap, and the last stealth section and the following.. thing, which are cheaper (You can go through the stealth puzzles -that's what they really are- in less than 2 minues, all of them if you know what to do, only the last one feels more about luck) and some of the locales which to be honest are dissapointing knowing the things MS pulled off in the first game AND this one. Luckily the game moves at a very fast pace so you don't really stay in one single place for long.

Fuck you, Edge.

Thanks, this make me excited again

Ahasverus

Foffy: You are confused, my friend.
Dracula himself was not an accident. His arrival was prophetized and the brotherhood knew exactly what he would become, the thing is, he didn't have a fate after killing Satan but then he got one... I won't spoiler it here as it is the big revelation. About the castle blood, that is another big spoiler, it's not worth to say it here and now. Perhaps at release date. Rest assured, it's cool.
And you were wrong about the lack of classic tunes ;)

Foffy

Banned
You are confused, my friend.
Dracula himself was not an accident. His arrival was prophetized and the brotherhood knew exactly what he would become, the thing is, he didn't have a fate after killing Satan but then he got one... I won't spoiler it here as it is the big revelation. About the castle blood, that is another big spoiler, it's not worth to say it here and now. Perhaps at release date. Rest assured, it's cool.
And you were wrong about the lack of classic tunes ;)

Bah, you can't even let it out, just a bit? I am so used to having Castlevania games spoiled for me! Back in the day, I knew everything about Portrait of Ruin 4 months before the game came out...but that's maybe why I hate that game. Hahah.

If I am wrong about classic tunes, then they were not ripped from the demo OST. I am basing my information of the music off of that.

Ahasverus

Have_at_you_3. Will only say that. Actually, it is the answer to most of your questions
Do you unlock the highest difficulty by playing on normal, or is the highest difficulty unlocked from the get-go?
You unlock it by finishing it on any difficulty. There is NG+ option too for that difficulty

I'm curious; you say LoS2 is an 8.5 but what would you rate LoS1? I just want to get an idea of where you stand. Personally, I consider it about a 7 or 7.5.

ZeroX03

Banned

Game release has also been delayed in New Zealand until the 6th. The Dracula's Tomb edition has been removed from Mighty Ape too...

Glad I pre-ordered from the US PSN instead. So, so glad. 24 hours to go!

Ahasverus

I'm curious; you say LoS2 is an 8.5 but what would you rate LoS1? I just want to get an idea of where you stand. Personally, I consider it about a 7 or 7.5.
Objectively around 7,5-8. You know I'm a fanboy so my personal scores are a unit higher for both.
Are there Titan boss fights?
No. Only the demo one. One of the. Fights is pseudo titan (but nor quite) and other is reminescent of other but it's not a fight per se. That said all bosses except around 4 are massive. And there are a lot of bosses.

Ok guys, it's 3am here and I'm very tired. See you tomorrow and hope I had been of help. Cheers everyone.

Naito

I've never been a Castlevania myself but I have to say that the lore and the look of this Lord of Shadow 2 definitely got me interested and... pre-ordered, damn all of you :(

I tried the demo and, well, it seems I suck at the combat: never been able to parry and always dodged.

Got it!

b68d.jpg

To hell with regional restrictions - I just used VPN to get the game for 40$ from GMG, now I wait for them to send out their codes and hope that I'll be able to redeem it without any problems. Do you people think I should use US VPN again when I try to redeem my key on Steam, or should I try just redeeming it the normal way? I didn't see anything on GMG page regarding regional restrictions or list of countries where I can redeem my key.

Just got my key from GMG (the one that I bought using VPN) and redeemed it on Steam without any problems. Preloading now, can't wait for tomorrow!

lyonhardt

Well fuck. I was hoping to binge through it this coming weekend before uni begins. Looks like I probably won't play it til July-ish now.

b0uncyfr0

Well fuck. I was hoping to binge through it this coming weekend before uni begins. Looks like I probably won't play it til July-ish now.

Dont buy it on Aus steam store!

i) Use a vpn on your browser (Is this actually necessary? Someone more knowledgable can confirm)
ii) Get a key from any other steam key reseller (G2A,CJS,WHATEVER)
iii) Use VPN on steam to preload and unlock in 2 days since im guessing AUS will be the last region to get it.
iv) Profit?

I have no intention of waiting a whole week if the reviews say its that good!!

Just got my key from GMG (the one that I bought using VPN) and redeemed it on Steam without any problems. Preloading now, can't wait for tomorrow!

I can confirm that. Just bought from gmg for $40.5 using the code mentioned in this thread.

The key redeemed as "Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2" without using a VPN. There was no NA/ROW/EU tag on it.

I was hesitant buying that way cause of all the unnecessary region-lock bullshit and i didn't want to have another Dead Island in my hands; that game had like 5 different region locks and having bought that from amazon i had a friend help me redeem the code. Glad that this didn't turn out the same way.

Also thank you Beeblebrox for being brave enough to go in 1st !

Top Bottom