• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania Lords of Shadow 2 - |OT| - Dead and Loving It!

Ahasverus

Yeah, actually.

There are no chapters anymore afaik, but are there still Zobek like monologues?
Nope. No monologues, only short ones whenever you load a save or reload a checkpoint by Gabriel giving some context on what you are doing. pretty neat.

Wounded

Not really. The game has a recap at the beginning so you're good to go. The LoS series is a standalone trilogy. There is a video on IGN on the front page that recaps the story as well if you want to watch that.

Thanks, I think I'll read the 3DS game synopsis. Really looking forward to getting my hands on the game now.

I can confirm that. Why wasn't that played more prominently in marketing? It' great, I'm greatly surprised. Newsflash: Game of the forever :p I'm halfway through I think.. Had to make a pause to eat. In short this is Lords of Shadow on esteroids with Symphony of the Night thrown in good measure. Any questions?
Thank god i doubted the first reviews and kept the pre order(wasn't really going to cancel, but the hype did diminish though). Now the hype is even bigger than before. Cant wait for the launch on steam.

Sanctuary

I can confirm that. Why wasn't that played more prominently in marketing? It' great, I'm greatly surprised. Newsflash: Game of the forever :p I'm halfway through I think.. Had to make a pause to eat. In short this is Lords of Shadow on esteroids with Symphony of the Night thrown in good measure. Any questions?

I haven't played it yet (PC, so obviously), but David Cox did say in the earlier interviews that they were going back towards the more Metroidvania style, although he tried to downplay it somewhat to make it seem like they were not simply giving in to all of the non stop bitching about how the first game wasn't just a 3D rehash of everything from SoTN on.

Without spoiling anything, does Robert Carlyle do a better job with the character this time? He's one of my favorite actors, but he was extremely dry with Gabriel in the first game.

Ahasverus

^ Yeah he's a much better Dracula. Love his sarcasm ("And they didn't fear the Mighty Zobek?) facial expression is muuuuch better now that helps a lot.

I really want To smoke whatever edge was smoking. This game has the best western combat. Yes better than DmC (and lols all over gow). Serously I don't get it. Oh I'm about to face Agreus so wish me luck.

I...I like that Carmilla avatar! Don't judge me.
I do too! :X
Thanks, I think I'll read the 3DS game synopsis. Really looking forward to getting my hands on the game now.
I would HIGHLY suggest watching the cut scenes on YouTube. There's one that's about an hour long, its taken from the HD ports so it looks fantastic. I read the synopsis and then found the video, I think with MoF playing a pretty important part in the LoS games, combined with the fact that you get introduced to some major players in that game makes the video DEFINITELY worth watching. Reading can only do so much, and in this case its definitely not the best way to experience MoF if you're not going to actually play the game. So again, watch it! Trust me, you won't regret it!
edit: Here it is. 53:06 of pure HD goodness.

Two questions to those of you who have played it. How long is it compared to LoS1's 12 chapters?

And I'm seeing a lot of people that have gotten it early for the PS3. Anyone gotten it early for the 360? Because I know Sony gives zero fucks about playing games before street date, and I know MS has a habit of banning people for playing games early. So anyone on the 360?

Ahasverus

Yeah I'm not foolish enough to connect My xbox of course.

I'm 9 hour in and I feel I'm halfway. I think, playing linearly could be 3-4 hours shorter than the first game.

In other news, Agreus is bullshit -_- I could only do it following that youtube walkthrough step by step.

Miguel81

I'm on chapter VIII of the original, and so far it's a 9/10. The PC version is definitive as fuck. Will I like the sequel? I'm really tempted to get it now.

Sanctuary

^ Yeah he's a much better Dracula. Love his sarcasm ("And they didn't fear the Mighty Zobek?) facial expression is muuuuch better now that helps a lot.

I really want To smoke whatever edge was smoking. This game has the best western combat. Yes better than DmC (and lols all over gow). Serously I don't get it. Oh I'm about to face Agreus so wish me luck.

Hmm. I'm going to save judgement about it "loling" over GoW. The dodge still has no i-frames, which makes the defensive options grossly inferior to most other modern action games. As far as the demo was concerned, to me the offensive aspect of the combat felt better because it felt more like GoW.

Also, have you been playing with the QTE off? I shut them off during my second demo run and it felt much better. But at the same time, it removes some of the "skill" (lol) aspect of the game. When I had a friend play the demo, he fucking died trying to stay on the initial Transformer wall smashes, because he failed like five QTE in a row. Which I thought was impossible.

Miguel81

I played about an hour of the first LoS game on PC and didn't much care for it. I enjoyed the NES games though.

I consider this a modern take on the original linear Castlevania games. It even has Veros fuckin' Woods. You should keep playing as it gets much better as you progress.

I consider this a modern take on the original linear Castlevania games. It even has Veros fuckin' Woods. You should keep playing as it gets much better as you progress.

This. The original is a slow burn at first, but once you get past the first few chapters, it amps up and is really good.

Sanctuary

To each their own. I love the puzzles.

So do I, but not in an action/adventure game where it kills the pacing. Zelda type games are unique in that puzzles have always been a core element to the dungeon design. It never really was in the Castlevania's I played (all of them up until SoTN, including the shitty N64 games). If the puzzles were actually implemented so that they feel like they have a true reason to be there, then it doesn't bother me. But there were too many puzzles in the first game that just felt like something existing outside of the main game.

I mean honestly, who plays *cough* Ninja Gaiden, God of War, Devil May Cry, Bayonetta, MGR:R etc for the puzzles?

Ahasverus

I'm on chapter VIII of the original, and so far it's a 9/10. The PC version is definitive as fuck. Will I like the sequel? I'm really tempted to get it now.
You will die of happiness with the second.

And yes I'm playing with qte's off. The only way to be honest. And the defense issues dissapear with the mist form. (Which you don't have in the demo, subweapons aren't present either)

And I want a chupacabra doll. Like yesterday.

After watching an early walkthrough of the game -- I'm declaring this game a next-gen title graphically.. Holy shit it looks amazing! The look is reminiscent of Deep Down. The lighting is superb and all the textures have that photo-real look to it. Combat looks very similar to DmC.

-M

Miguel81

After watching an early walkthrough of the game -- I'm declaring this game a next-gen title graphically.. Holy shit it looks amazing! The look is reminiscent of Deep Down. The lighting is superb and all the textures have that photo-real look to it. Combat looks very similar to DmC.

-M

The PC version definitely is. I wonder if they'll port it to PS4/XBONE.

-M

Which version is being shown? The PC version?

Edge was smoking reality if they mentioned DmC's combat..it was not great, not too mention that's a low bar to begin with

Miguel81

You will die of happiness with the second.

And yes I'm playing with qte's off. The only way to be honest. And the defense issues dissapear with the mist form. (Which you don't have in the demo, subweapons aren't present either)

And I want a chupacabra doll. Like yesterday.

Cool. The chupacabras are awesomely dickish in the game. Really wish MS would get on with the MoF Steam port, as I want to play that before I tackle 2.

You want it to fail so hard. But it won't.

What does he have against the game?

Momentary

Banned
This thread pushed me over the edge and I snatched the game up. Too bad I can't play it until I'm done on the range out here on Friday. I should get my wife to bring my laptop out here.

When does the PC version unlock?

If you bought through steam, it should be ready for preload, if you bought through GMG, they haven't distributed keys yet. Hopefully they will before the 25th so I can preload before then.

Edit: GMG keys won't be available until release date: LINK I also see now you were asking about unlocking, not preloading. Derp.

Ahasverus

Clocking 12:34 hrs non stop. About to make the fight I've been looking forward the most. It's so sad, yet satisfying. All these years of anticipation. Man this series has been an important part of my life and I just realised that.

But for now, YOU will fall against me, old friend!

Clocking 12:34 hrs non stop. About to make the fight I've been looking forward the most. It's so sad, yet satisfying. All these years of anticipation. Man this series has been an important part of my life and I just realised that.

But for now, YOU will fall against me, old friend!

Zobek?

Not Zobek.
DEATH
Holy fuck. This is the stuff dreams are made of :O

Sounds glorious. One thing I noticed from watching the early playthrough on youtube. Finishers don't give you health back, which seems odd since most of them involve Dracula drinking the enemy's blood. They do restore a decent chunk of health if you have Void active, so you can beat down with the whip, pop Void, and heal a bit. Not sure if it worked that way with Light Magic in LoS1.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Sounds glorious. One thing I noticed from watching the early playthrough on youtube. Finishers don't give you health back, which seems odd since most of them involve Dracula drinking the enemy's blood. They do restore a decent chunk of health if you have Void active, so you can beat down with the whip, pop Void, and heal a bit. Not sure if it worked that way with Light Magic in LoS1.

I could be wrong but I think the finishers fuel the weapons themselves.

Ahasverus

Man, maan. This game, this fucking game man.. I want to play the last fight over and over and over and over.. it delivered, IT FUCKING DELIVERED holy mother of god.

GAMEPLAY SPOILERS CONCERNING MY LAST FIGHT (Not the last one of the game)
Now THAT is how you make a DEATH bossfight, worthy of the classic games, hard as nails, flying sychtes, a mounstrous fast Death that kilss you easily.. Man, maaan, you bastards Mercury, you fucking bastards, how could you deliver my expectations, it was impossible. It helped that it came after the moment of the game. Won't spoil it here of course, but let's say the peak is latent. My heart races, my fingers hurt, this, is glory.
That is indeed weird. But what can you do.
But isn't Zobek supposed to be Death, or is there a complete new character introduced?
You know the answer.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Not Zobek.
DEATH
Holy fuck. This is the stuff dreams are made of :O
But isn't Zobek supposed to be Death, or is there a complete new character introduced?

I cant resist anymore after all this praising, FFFF....steam here income....

Phenomic

Glad I'm not the only one who found a copy on the streets.

Does this become more obvious later on? I'm not sure how far I'm into the game, but honestly I'm just not feeling this. Everything seems super linear, super scripted and heavy on the cut scene interruption. I'm dying for this game to feel more like Metroid Prime where it just drops me off and lets me go....But I don't think it's coming anymore. I feel like my hand is being held for the duration yet in some scenes I feel like it doesn't do it justice when I actually need the guidance because I will do something stupid for five minutes when all I needed to do was jump on a pipe instead of it being a scripted event like I anticipated.

Also either I'm terrible at this game or blocking attacks is hard as crap. Any recommendations on that? It's almost like I need a targeting system because stuff comes at me from all sides and I'm defenseless.

Ahasverus, you really make me hyped like crazy and I didn't even read the spoiler stuff. Just confirmed to keep my pre-order (not that I ever considered to cancel it).

Ahasverus

Glad I'm not the only one who found a copy on the streets.

Does this become more obvious later on? I'm not sure how far I'm into the game, but honestly I'm just not feeling this. Everything seems super linear, super scripted and heavy on the cut scene interruption. I'm dying for this game to feel more like Metroid Prime where it just drops me off and lets me go....But I don't think it's coming anymore. I feel like my hand is being held for the duration yet in some scenes I feel like it doesn't do it justice because I will do something stupid for five minutes when all I needed to do was jump on a pipe instead of it being a scripted event like I anticipated.

Also either I'm terrible at this game or blocking attacks is hard as crap. Any recommendations on that? It's almost like I need a targeting system because stuff comes at me from all sides and I'm defenseless.
The game is indeed kinda hand-holdy, it's a shame that stuff like the map can't be disabled. I thought it "opened" itself after the first Acolyte fight
not in her first form, but the real second one
. Still, don't expect a "now where do I go?" type of metroidvania, it's a type of Arkham Asylum-Darksiders metroidvania. I'd suggest you not to follow the main story blindly, there are setpieces and scripted events all through it, it's nice to fool around, explore the castle, the city at your own pace, find a cool thing or two.. I love that stuff. I'm almost at the end, what a ride. For when attacked fromm various angles use mist form.

Krusenstern said:
Ahasverus, you really make me hyped like crazy and I didn't even read the spoiler stuff. Just confirmed to keep my pre-order (not that I ever considered to cancel it).
Heh sorry pal :p that part hit all the right buttons in me.
I will trust your word on this, count me in. Whew, can't wait until Tuesday!
I was talking in behalf of informations I had by that point, but right now, I can confirm it. The ending is not the final cutscene, it's about the whole, what, 2 last hours of the game? Or they feel like it, I'm just about going to the final battle (I think) and the whole "ending atmosphere" is already there. heh.

DVCY201

I was talking in behalf of informations I had by that point, but right now, I can confirm it. The ending is not the final cutscene, it's about the whole, what, 2 last hours of the game? Or they feel like it, I'm just about going to the final battle (I think) and the whole "ending atmosphere" is already there. heh.

Awesome. I can appreciate a game that's about the journey.

Sanctuary

Ahasverus, you really make me hyped like crazy

It's actually having the opposite effect on me, especially after the 180 he previously did. Usually when someone gets this hype about a game, there's more going on than just the game itself. It's like he's in some kind of euphoric high and not able to give an objective (or at least, less biased subjective) opinion. I mean, I'm sure it's at least going to be good, but he's giving day one TLOU hype, which was some of the most overblown hype on GAF in years.

Ahasverus

It's actually having the opposite effect on me, especially after the 180 he previously did. Usually when someone gets this hype about a game, there's more going on than just the game itself. It's like he's in some kind of euphoric high and not able to give an objective (or at least, less biased subjective) opinion.
I AM in some euphoric high. That's why I'm posting my official review two days from now. But that hype was caused by the fight I was anticipating the most delivering all I wanted from it, excuse me, but I think I can allow myself to have a raging fanboy moment once in a while. I deserve it you know. And for the record, as I was with expetactions lowered I think I enjoyed the game more. I expected mediocrity all around, and, surprise, that didn't happen. The game is another slowburn just like the first one but one with faar less fat. It's not TLOU ffs, it's the Lords of Shadow sequel, the improved LoS sequel. That's more than enough for me. This is like AC2-->Brotherhood.

I'm about to face the last boss. Wish me luck.

Top Bottom