• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania Lords of Shadow 2 - |OT| - Dead and Loving It!

burgerdog

Grisby

Anyone having graphical issues with this? Happening quite frequently for me (PS3 Phat)

bVdntZu.jpg
Nope none on my slim. Does it move around and flicker? Maybe it's getting overheated or maybe your video card is going bro, :(

Wray

Been playing the PC version week, just beat Raisa Volkova last night. So far this game is awesome, not sure what all the crappy reviews are about.

NySpeed

Been playing the PC version week, just beat Raisa Volkova last night. So far this game is awesome, not sure what all the crappy reviews are about.

I beat the game last night; aside from some if the stealth sections (which weren't that bad, but then again I used a FAQ, for the infamous stealth part) I really enjoyed the game. Yes the modern day bits are a little bland, but wasn't a detractor from my enjoyment with the fun combat system. I would rate this game a 7.5 or 8. Definitely solid and as enjoyable as the first one. The story was good except the ending could have benefited from one or two more lines. The whole ending sequence that starts an hour or so before the credits were awesome as well.

Ok i went through the door behind the billboards, now i am in a square with a nude woman statue. But there is nothing apart some satan soldiers

Oh wow, this track is a complete rip-off from Two Steps from Hell - Freedom Fighters.

Disgusting.

Yea, same simple motif on the horn. But with the original being non-complex, and with the missing descending choral accompaniment, this piece is different enough to be considered "strongly influenced by" instead of "see you in court". Both versions do get the heart racing. Of course the original is best.

No doubt the composer received orders to make the score sound exactly like TSFH, or "Hollywood Big" electronic orchestra sound. AKA "Zimmer'd". Most AAA scores are a collection of standard VST instruments with lots of reverb. Big sound, but not special musically.

VST's are awesome by the way. Wish I had those back in my midi days. The days of soundfonts and when gigastudio was king.

Sanctuary

That's a good thing,
enemies with projectiles can shoot others. The shotgun enemies are really easy to bait into killing others
. There's a strategy that's good for taking down every enemy easily, you just have to figure it out. I was dead afraid of the
ghoulish witch enemies that combine together to make that fire beast, until I realized the defensive Chaos (L2+Triangle I think) move could draw them all to you and kill them quickly, and if they did fuse you could just shoot an ice projectile to force them to split

That move kills every light enemy quickly. Also, I have 80% of the achievements done and I have yet to see whatever more challenging platforming there was supposed to be. Is there some kind of platforming challenge in the mirror trials? Otherwise, it's all just your typical mash X and press the analog in a direction until you move Uncharted crap. What difficulty are you playing on btw?

Side note: Does anyone else think the Bioquimek logo looks like the Cobra (G.I. Joe) symbol a bit?

Mindman

So guys, I need some help fairly early on...

This is in the Room of the Damned (the lava area), I'm near the wolf portal. The main quest arrow is pointing to somewhere in the room that I can't seem to reach. I can climb up the wall near the wolf portal, and go left to the portal, which I can use but the main quest arrow points me back the way I came. Or I can go up which leads to a locked gate, which requires a key I don't have. If anyone knows what I'm referring to, any tips?

Levyne

Banned

This is in the Room of the Damned (the lava area), I'm near the wolf portal. The main quest arrow is pointing to somewhere in the room that I can't seem to reach. I can climb up the wall near the wolf portal, and go left to the portal, which I can use but the main quest arrow points me back the way I came. Or I can go up which leads to a locked gate, which requires a key I don't have. If anyone knows what I'm referring to, any tips?

I believe there is a
black chain suspended vertically over the lava that you can climb

Ahasverus

Go back to the entrance, then approach from the right to a stone platfform with a ledge facing the chain mechanism. Jump.

Ahasverus

Haha ok. So just to be sure, you're referring to going back to the very start of the area, right where you get off the elevator that leads into the area, then go to the right?
Yes the entrance to the lava section, I told you that because you sound like you are up there with the wolf medallion or something, just for reference. Look for the black chain near the ground.

Ahasverus

Breaking News: Dungeon User OSM just discovered a cheat menu! Just put in the Konami Code at the start screen and go to the extras menu in game, includes God mode :p

Dunno if this had been posted but....

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 dev discusses troubled development, blames director for ‘mediocre’ game and calls it "a piece of shit"

http://www.vg247.com/2014/02/28/cas...evelopment-blames-director-for-mediocre-game/

This Alvarez sounds like a real ass. It also doesn't sound like the developers are happy with how the game turned out, but calling it a piece of shit is a bit dramatic I think. It's still a somewhat good game in my opinion.

In closing the developer said, “And finally, because not everything is bad in here, I wanted to say that the real team behind this company is an incredible bunch of people. If all those guys who are not allowed to be promoted due to our Jurassic studio leads had the chance to set the course of the company, our future would be so bright.

“There’s just so much passion and talent here, more than I’ve ever seen anywhere else, but it’s completely held back. I really hope that those who read this understand what we’ve lived here. Someone has to say this so it is not lost in time after the game’s launch.”

It's a shame to read this. You can see that some good talent has worked on the games, but knowing that they're also held back and many people left the studio because of this... man.

Nope none on my slim. Does it move around and flicker? Maybe it's getting overheated or maybe your video card is going bro, :(

It's pretty much attached to the character model (and disappears once the cut scenes end). Only happens sometimes and this is the only game I've ever had this happened with. Had some weird environmental bugs as well that happened during gameplay.

ironcreed

Banned
This Alvarez sounds like a real ass. It also doesn't sound like the developers are happy with how the game turned out, but calling it a piece of shit is a bit dramatic I think. It's still a somewhat good game in my opinion.

Yeah, there is definitely some good here. But I'm finding it to be a real mixed bag.

On the plus side:

- Fun gameplay
- The castle environment is gorgeous
- Some great boss battles
- Love the soundtrack

Negatives:

- The modern setting is generic as hell and feels incredibly disjointed
- Some enemies look fantastic, while others look ridiculous and completely out of place
- The stealth sections are uninspired and take away more than they add
- The pacing is quite messy
- The whole Dracula vs Satan's evil corporation thing is just plain stupid

I'm still early in, but those are my general impressions so far. Something like a 6-7 out of 10 is looking like a fair score, but I will of course reserve full judgement until I am done.

Ahasverus

Yea, same simple motif on the horn. But with the original being non-complex, and with the missing descending choral accompaniment, this piece is different enough to be considered "strongly influenced by" instead of "see you in court". Both versions do get the heart racing. Of course the original is best.

No doubt the composer received orders to make the score sound exactly like TSFH, or "Hollywood Big" electronic orchestra sound. AKA "Zimmer'd". Most AAA scores are a collection of standard VST instruments with lots of reverb. Big sound, but not special musically.

VST's are awesome by the way. Wish I had those back in my midi days. The days of soundfonts and when gigastudio was king.
Did you know this game's OST used the biggest orchestra ever used for a videogame and one of the best of the world? (Londo Symphony)

Levyne

Banned
The fantastical boss fights and locations are so great, loved the lava area, forest area around THAT part, the moonlight balconies, even the theatre.

And then you go into the city...into sewers..and parking lots..and roads.

ironcreed

Banned
The fantastical boss fights and locations are so great, loved the lava area, forest area around THAT part, the moonlight balconies, even the theatre.

And then you go into the city...into sewers..and parking lots..and roads.

God, I am so tired of sewer levels in video games. Can't say I am looking forward to getting there, lol.

Levyne

Banned
Well, I guess sewer is maybe the wrong impression, it's more like opening a hatch to go under the road into an area with...flicking lights and electric cables and stuff. Not like an area with wet sewage at your feet (not yet anyways :x)

And then you get into an open building, for instance you get into a place involving a puzzle with two elevators, and the building itself is just boring,,

burgerdog

Holy shit, Agreus stealth section took me 5 minute to complete. I was tempted to look up a guide or video before getting there so I wouldn't have any trouble with it and wow. How bad is the guy that spent four hours there and the other guy that said the focus meter is rarely filled? Crazies!

Sid

Quite surprised to find out that the game is a massive step down in every area (even visually) bar the combat from LoS but it's still fun overall.

The city sections feel like an old studio backlot. Not quite sure what they were thinking here...

The modern setting was definitely not good. I didn't feel good about it when it was revealed at the end of the first game and my worries were pretty founded. It didn't really hurt the game for me as I found myself spending more time exploring the castle and engaging in really fun combat, but it's safe to say the modern stuff was the weakest link.

Ahasverus

The modern setting was definitely not good. I didn't feel good about it when it was revealed at the end of the first game and my worries were pretty founded. It didn't really hurt the game for me as I found myself spending more time exploring the castle and engaging in really fun combat, but it's safe to say the modern stuff was the weakest link.
I liked the exteriors. very much. It's the interiors what kill it.
It's funny because I just played loS1 this morning and the city in the lastt cinematic is very different to Castlevania city. it was very modern and you can see long neon streets.

Playing on pc maxed out,doesn't look better than LoS 1 to me.

I agree with that. Played LoS1 very recently and obviously LoS2 over the last few days (both maxed) and I'd say the first game was the better looking game. Some of this is the art design and direction. LoS 2's environments in the modern day hold nothing on what was being attempted in the first game. Some if the texture work. The characters all looked great and detailed and SOME level textures were good, but some were pretty terrible. Finally, I actually think the game suffers a lot for the free camera. The first game nails it with environments, colours etc. but it's that expert framing they give you that helps really impress you with the graphics too. I'm not really sure the engine for this is an improvement over the first at all, but I think the biggest culprit is the lacking art direction. How could science facilities etc look better than some of those chapter sin the first game?

I liked the exteriors. very much. It's the interiors what kill it.
It's funny because I just played loS1 this morning and the city in the lastt cinematic is very different to Castlevania city. it was very modern and you can see long neon streets.

That's what I thought it would be like. Populated, you running around as Dracula, people scared of you... basically a lost, broken Gabriel. Not that I really wanted that per se, as despite the pacing issues at the beginning of the first one it had this incredible forward momentum that made the game feel like this huge journey.

I stand by the fact that I liked the game, it worked for me more often than not, but I can't help imagine what it could have been if the team had better guidance.

Ahasverus

I agree with that. Played LoS1 very recently and obviously LoS2 over the last few days (both maxed) and I'd say the first game was the better looking game. Some of this is the art design and direction. LoS 2's environments in the modern day hold nothing on what was being attempted in the first game. Some if the texture work. The characters all looked great and detailed and SOME level textures were good, but some were pretty terrible. Finally, I actually think the game suffers a lot for the free camera. The first game nails it with environments, colours etc. but it's that expert framing they give you that helps really impress you with the graphics too. I'm not really sure the engine for this is an improvement over the first at all, but I think the biggest culprit is the lacking art direction. How could science facilities etc look better than some of those chapter sin the first game?
Take a look at This Thread and find your answers.

Top Bottom