• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania Lords of Shadow 2 - |OT| - Dead and Loving It!

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Just finished, that final boss fight was intense as fuck, but that ending is horrible WTF Konami? Should had let MS use the original one.

Overall i enjoyed the game, i think in terms of combat , this is a much better game than LoS 1, the modern settings were okay at best but the game would be much better IMO if the majority of it would take place inside Dracula's Castle.

Graphically the game is superb, the soundtrack is Oscar Araujo's best work yet but the story is pretty 'meh'. I loved the feeling of an epic adventure in LoS 1, that feeling is not very present in this sequel.

Stealth sections are okay-ish, but they shouldn't be there, at all. I get the feeling they were implemented only to add more to the game's length.

So yes, despite its flaws LoS 2 is a good game, not the aberration some reviews are claiming.
7.5/10

Levyne

Banned
Hmm. Question about a "choice" early.

Two Marie's to choose from. I happened to guess it by chance, but couldn't tell it apart. Does one of them say "my prince" or something like that?

Volcynika

Hmm. Question about a "choice" early.

Two Marie's to choose from. I happened to guess it by chance, but couldn't tell it apart. Does one of them say "my prince" or something like that?

Yes.
When I went over to the right one, the other one is like "no my prince" etc

Every single boss fight in this game is just something else. I haven't fought one boss where I said to myself "this one is cool but not as cool as the last one." I just fought
Death in the church
and the boss' moveset, environment, score, and design was off the damned charts.

Ahasverus

Every single boss fight in this game is just something else. I haven't fought one boss where I said to myself "this one is cool but not as cool as the last one." I just fought
Death in the church
and the boss' moveset, environment, score, and design was off the damned charts.
I agree. Thay bossfight gave me life.

Volcynika

Question about getting to last boss:

I see burning rubble in my way and not a way around it. Maybe I'm just missing something obvious?
?_?

"
When I put my hand on your shoulder
."

w3ICMIh.gif

Gaf pls help, i am stuck in a room with 3 golgothian guards, right after the cutscene with belmont
Bat one of the lower two guards so you can cross to the other side of the room. From the other side of the room you can bat the guard at the door and then mist form through him/the gate while he is distracted.

Levyne

Banned
Well, THAT section is over. So like ten minutes. I think I died maybe 6 times, and 2 were really fast as I was just getting situated.

To be honest, I made it about halfway to the switch, and then just made a mad dash for it, died, and then similar for the exit. And if I had not read to use mist form, and did not realize to use mist form, I could see it taking a lot longer. But not 4 hours -__-

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Well, THAT section is over. So like ten minutes. I think I died maybe 6 times, and 2 were really fast as I was just getting situated.

To be honest, I made it about halfway to the switch, and then just made a mad dash for it, died, and then similar for the exit. And if I had not read to use mist form, and did not realize to use mist form, I could see it taking a lot longer. But not 4 hours -__-

I feel like the game pushed
mist form
hard after you got it so it felt pretty natural to me. But it would definitely be hard without it.

BY2K

Membero Americo
This whole industry looking level design really clashes with the whole Dracula thing...

I don't think I like it. :(

Levyne

Banned
I dunno why, but I like the quips that the Brotherhood soldiers spot when you are fighting them.

"Move away, he's mine!"

"Die, you devil!"

Levyne

Banned
Ran into a room with three large hammer guys.

Didn't feel like fighting them normally so I figured "why not try out the Dragon medallion?"

ironcreed

Banned
Man, it has some really messy pacing so far and the modern environment feels so disjointed.
I am infiltrating this pharmaceutical plant trying to avoid these guys that look like the Strogg out of Quake and then all of the sudden I am following what appears to be Trevor as a child through a light and now I am in the old castle (which is gorgeous) fighting some stone golem after getting the void sword.

It looks really pretty and I dig the combat, but everything else feels like a total clusterfuck so far. It's still early, though. Hopefully it will get better.

I'm confused by the timeline of this game. The big battle at the beginning with the knights storming the castle, did that take place before or after Simon and Alucard defeated Dracula? I assume after given the fact that Alucard is standing there afterward, but I thought Dracula was asleep from the time Simon defeated him until modern times.

Also, random early game prediction,
Zobek's knight buddy is Alucard.
Obviously I don't want to be told if I'm right or not.

Man, it has some really messy pacing so far and the modern environment feels so disjointed.

I'm not much further than you, and yeah disjointed is exactly how I'd describe it. Not bad so far, but nothing special either.

The stealth sections aren't as bad as I expected, but they are pretty dumb.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Question for those who have it, does Zobek/Patrick still tell the story like in the first throughout the game?

Levyne

Banned
Question for those who have it, does Zobek/Patrick still tell the story like in the first throughout the game?

Not really. There's no chapter intros so there's not really any narration. Early in the game when the events between LoS1 and 2 are detailed, it's a female narrator.

Papercuts

I'm confused by the timeline of this game. The big battle at the beginning with the knights storming the castle, did that take place before or after Simon and Alucard defeated Dracula? I assume after given the fact that Alucard is standing there afterward, but I thought Dracula was asleep from the time Simon defeated him until modern times.

Also, random early game prediction,
Zobek's knight buddy is Alucard.
Obviously I don't want to be told if I'm right or not.

I'm not much further than you, and yeah disjointed is exactly how I'd describe it. Not bad so far, but nothing special either.

The stealth sections aren't as bad as I expected, but they are pretty dumb.

I actually have the same prediction. Waiting to see what happens there.

I was also wondering the timeline thing. MoF has it so Alucard wakes up, teams up with Simon and defeats dracula so it doesn't fit in until after, which seems weird.

Levyne

Banned
I actually have the same prediction. Waiting to see what happens there.

I was also wondering the timeline thing. MoF has it so Alucard wakes up, teams up with Simon and defeats dracula so it doesn't fit in until after, which seems weird.

I also had the same prediction..

Ahasverus

that's why Dracula seeks inmortality. The beginnig of the game is after Mirror of Fate, you can't kill Dracula, he just wakes up again in no time. Alucard just faces him again.

Done.

In the end I really enjoyed it. I still think the first game is better, despite this one having a slightly refined combat system, but my main issue here was that it felt like it didn't really build up to a huge finale. The final boss kind of came out of nowhere, and it wrapped things up very quickly. It didn't feel like the end of the story to me and I hope that there's at least one more.

Still, really fun game, great at times, meh at times, but a good time overall.

TGO

Not really. There's no chapter intros so there's not really any narration. Early in the game when the events between LoS1 and 2 are detailed, it's a female narrator.

No. The level set up isn't like the first game where you are selecting levels out of a menu.
:-( shame, I know some didn't like it but I did
Some of the stuff in the cutscenes was fantastic

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
The game so far has been great IMO. The only downer is the story that is creating plot holes. In some cases it feels like they retconed some of MoF events.

Levyne

Banned
I just beat the
Toymaker
and I need either a refresher on the first game or a question answered about MoF (I have not played).

He mentions noting that a Lord of Shadow (or did he say lord of the castle) was defeated by his son in a battle which broke the Mirror of Fate. I assume this refers to the end of MoF? He also mentioned knowing a little boy back when the Castle was owned by Bernhard, who is heavily implied to be a young Gabriel

I might need to go to the wiki or something, but I'm just not sure I've got the timeline put together. Does that mean Gabriel was raised in this castle, left when he joined the brotherhood, and then the castle was taken over by the girl vampire in LoS (Laura?) and then Gabriel->Dracula took it as his own? How was the toymaker arrond for both Gabriel as a young boy and also to see the mirror break?

The art and sound direction (everything sounded so perfectly wooden) during that fight was AWESOME btw, it really fit well for the puppets and the theater. Too bad the fight was really really easy..

Papercuts

that's why Dracula seeks inmortality. The beginnig of the game is after Mirror of Fate, you can't kill Dracula, he just wakes up again in no time. Alucard just faces him again.

Oh, so the skip to LoS's ending basically covers a time where Dracula gets tired of that shit and just kinda gives up and weakens in the process, but there's actually a lot more to his ruling before that point? Makes sense.

Ahasverus

Oh, so the skip to LoS's ending basically covers a time where Dracula gets tired of that shit and just kinda gives up and weakens in the process, but there's actually a lot more to his ruling before that point? Makes sense.
Yeah exactly. As you can see from the prologue recap theee is no retcon.

TGO

Wait you guys keep mentioningMOF, do I need to play MOF before this?

I was confused by the timeline as well at first, but if you pay attention they mention a few times in the city markers (and some of the dialogue as well) that the prologue battle with the big explosion was about 500 years before present. We know from the first game that it takes place in the 11th century, and Mirror of Fate a few decades after that. Therefore, after Simon and Alucard defeat Dracula and the castle crumbles, 500 years later Dracula and the castle are back, the big explosion occurs and 500 years after that, LOS2.

Grisby

Got past that infamous section a bit ago. Took about fifteen minutes or so and at first it was frustrating but you can really abuse the 'distraction' stuff and run a good part of the ways.

The boss fight after was great. That was some real slick shit
dodging Argo's spears.
I really liked the look of the boss as well. MS has some god tier art design when they are in full on fantasy mode.. The whole idea of
him being a brother to Pan was cool and that he was a living tree.

Also, is Gabe/Dracula not the most bad ass dude to appear in a video game in some time? The last two boss take downs have been brutal.
Ran into a room with three large hammer guys.

Didn't feel like fighting them normally so I figured "why not try out the Dragon medallion?"
I did that too against one of the bosses. Took out half a health bar. Dat animation though.

DyczmPv.gif

Top Bottom