• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania Lords of Shadow 2 - |OT| - Dead and Loving It!

ironcreed

Banned
Oh god, the gas mask goons with guns just showed up. This game is really all over the place and feels so conflicted with it's clashing elements. The gameplay is fun and the boss battles have been pretty good so far, but for what good there is, there are other elements that rear their head and can make it a real drag.

Levyne

Banned
Nito's sentiments echo mine in broad strokes, I'll sit on it a bit, maybe gather a few things, try out some challenges, etc.

On my second playthrough on Prince of Darkness difficulty, and it's even better the second time especially after getting used to the overall design of the game, as well as knowing exactly how to breeze through the stealth moments, which I've spent maybe five minutes on in the overall 3+ hours I've been playing.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Question - how many weapons are in the game, if you can master individual weapons by performing their moves? I was under the impression that it was a single sword, having been traded out from the combat cross.

Voror

Just beat
the Toy Maker
. Really loved that whole sequence as there's a lot of creativity and some nice designs.

But good lord,
the Toy Maker just standing in that corner crying
just breaks my heart.
Is he going to die forever if I cut off from the castle?

ironcreed

Banned
I loved the first LOS. Had a sense of epicness and a clear goal for the hero. You went on a journey. It was amazing.

LOS2 feels like cheap level design cobbled together with cutscenes about a story that goes nowhere and those numerous loading sections between rooms. It is so boring to me.

To me, it feels similar to my experience with the Darksiders series. Loved the first one to bits for the same reasons I loved LOS1. And for the same reasons as I'm starting to really dislike LOS2, Darksiders 2 didn't have an enjoyable flow in the gameplay/story department. It felt like a collection of rooms and boss fights that didn't seem to connect to one another.

I'm about 2-3 hours in and I feel like dropping the towel. :(

I was just thinking the same thing. The first one felt like you were on this epic journey and I actually cared for Gabriel all the way through. Here, I find myself not giving a rats ass about him as Dracula, as the magic from the first one is just nowhere to be found. This feels like a patchwork quilt of bad ideas and uninspired design mixed with a few decent pieces that keep it somewhat stitched together in places. But I have to see it through and am hoping it picks up some.

Levyne

Banned
Question - how many weapons are in the game, if you can master individual weapons by performing their moves? I was under the impression that it was a single sword, having been traded out from the combat cross.

3. You have the main whip, chaos claws (damage) and void sword (healing). The later two use the magic meter (or whatever they called it in this one) like light and dark in LoS.

Yeah you unlock moves with exp and master the weapons by performing the moves. The is a fair bit of shared move pool between them, however. Though the claws and sword have more range to what you can do with them.

Levyne

Banned
What exactly was the problem kotaku had with the
Agreus
fight?

They stunk at it (4 hours lol) but also essentially point it out as the
biggest stealth section in a game full of weird little stealth sections, and it was jarring to have to avoid the guy by sneaking around, only to fight him one on one in the next room anyways.

Tecl0n

They stunk at it (4 hours lol) but also essentially point it out as the
biggest stealth section in a game full of weird little stealth sections, and it was jarring to have to avoid the guy by sneaking around, only to fight him one on one in the next room anyways.

It makes no sense D: The stealth section is easily done with
Mist form
and the fight itself is kinda fun and quite easy.
I do agree it's bullshit to hide only to wreck him two minutes later
I was half expecting for some game breaking bug or something :/

Levyne

Banned
Yeah, I went in knowing
mist form was useful, and with it you can rely on a mist form, and few ledge jumps, maybe one dagger distraction, and book it to the end. If I wasn't aware earlier to use mist form, I'm hopefull I would have thought of it, you know, within 10 minutes or so ._.

Despite all my complaints I still really liked a good portion of this game, everything in the castle was fantastic to me. I just wish they put some of that effort into the modern day sections

And gave us a better ending. Felt rushed towards the end

I wish we could have laid the smackdown on those big hulking guys. Needed that catharsis after those wack stealth sections

Despite all my complaints I still really liked a good portion of this game, everything in the castle was fantastic to me. I just wish they put some of that effort into the modern day sections

And gave us a better ending. Felt rushed towards the end

Yeah. The ending was very anti-climactic, and the final boss encounter is huge, yet it just kind of comes out of nowhere.

The biggest disappointment I would have with this game is if LOS3 doesn't happen; I think this is a good game, in some instances fantastic, but that was no way to close out this storyline.

Plissken

I'm on the quest to retrieve the
antidote
, and so far I'm enjoying the game. My only real complaint so far is that the modern sections are boring both visually and gameplay wise compared to the spectacular castle areas, and the stealth feels pointless. I get what they were going for; you're Dracula, you can possess animals, control bats, turn to mist, etc etc. But the implementation was just poorly done. I agree with what Nito said, it would have been better if the stealth sections were puzzles instead. Sneaking around vents as a rat was old the first time I did it, on the 10th time I just wanted to find the "skip scene" button for these sections.

Foffy

Banned
Yeah. The ending was very anti-climactic, and the final boss encounter is huge, yet it just kind of comes out of nowhere.

The biggest disappointment I would have with this game is if LOS3 doesn't happen; I think this is a good game, in some instances fantastic, but that was no way to close out this storyline.

That would be a fourth game. This is supposed to be a trilogy.

Grisby

So the
Victor
boss battle was simply awesome. Easy as pie but awesome. Having him use
the combat cross and all of the attacks of the previous LOS was just really well done. I didn't want to kill him and I felt bad about killing off my old summon.

And that's what happened to all of the town's citizens. Jesus, why couldn't they have introduced him and this whole plot point earlier. Oh, and he died pretty quickly. Which sucked because he was pretty cool.

Nearing the end I'm sure, one thing I have to say is at least the modern sections get a little more variety in them.

Couple of other things that are just funny, spoilers for maybe 75 percent or so on in the game:
-
Burning the bird and having it turn into a tasty looking chicken leg was great. Sweet old nod.
-The soldiers diaries are way better this time around. Some are pretty chuckle worthy too. Specifically,
the man and wife pages. Crooked teeth and new lovers oh my.
-So did they retcon something with one of the bosses?
The Toy Maker was one of Gandolfi's pupils wasn't he? Actually, I guess before he was imprisoned in Bernhard's castle he could have been.

ironcreed

Banned
Isn't this just a standard procedure thing that all bodies passing through the area must go through? He kind of does have to wait for the doors to open =p

Absolutely true, but my point is that such a setting for playing as Dracula is just so ridiculous. It clashes like hell and feels so dull.

Absolutely true, but my point is that such a setting for playing as Dracula is just so ridiculous. It clashes like hell and feels so dull.

Oh it's strange alright, I just felt like it made sense in the context of the environment at least.

But yeah... I mean, I felt weird about the modern setting even from the epilogue of the first game. It always rubbed me the wrong way.

Levyne

Banned
It's before you fight
Pan's brother, when the bird is holding onto the MOF. I lit him up with a chaos bomb and he turned into a turkey leg. Might have gotten a trophy for it too.

Huh. Will have to remember to do that on NG+ then

Please no. Let them end it with DLC and put this back in a coffin.

Obviously I would only want it if it were good and to have that journey feel like the first one, and close the story much better.

I am aching for a new 2D game though. Not Metroidvania per se.

At this point that would be their, redemption. Pull a DMC3. I will pay with my blood for it.

Going by the state of things at MS/Konami, I'm not sure I'd want MS doing it, at least with Alvarez acting like a Nazi Titan. I would want another Lords of Shadow with Gabriel because this game
DID NOT RESOLVE SHIT

ironcreed

Banned
Great, more stealth sections against the Strogg. I'll pick up from there tomorrow night. I never would have dreamed that this game would turn out to be such a disappointment for me.

Ahasverus

There are too many modern games to ape from instead of DMC3, though. That won't happen. ;3
I meant it as a mindblowing sequel (prequel?) after a dissaponting second part. Of course it doesn't have to be MercurySteam. Keep an eye on the team that will make the second DLC.

Voror

Okay, a bit concerned here. Currently doing the mission where
you follow a hooded guy
. Got to a point where I used mist to go up through a fan and into a new area. Then fell down a hole and couldn't get back up so I went down and used a button to go back out to the main Arts District.

Except now I can't reactivate that fan to take me back to where I need to go.

Please tell me I'm not going to have to replay this entire level.

Jarmel

Banned
It actually took me a while to think of
misting through a guard in the segment I just did now. Assumed I would use the double jump somewhere, and the rat portal was a red herring.

That one is easily the hardest stealth bit and one I would argue is flat out bad game design. Utter bullshit of a segment. Thank god it's the final stealth bit.

Jolkien

Okay, a bit concerned here. Currently doing the mission where you follow a hooded guy. Got to a point where I used mist to go up through a fan and into a new area. Then fell down a hole and couldn't get back up so I went down and used a button to go back out to the main Arts District.

Except now I can't reactivate that fan to take me back to where I need to go.

Please tell me I'm not going to have to replay this entire level.

Go back in the main street and on the left you should see a path to climb up and you will see a Kleidos statue too. I just did that part and fell down in the hole too :)

Ahasverus

That one is easily the hardest stealth bit and one I would argue is flat out bad game design. Utter bullshit of a segment. Thank god it's the final stealth bit.
It's pure bullshit. God what a terrible part and wait of what comes later. They were on drugs.

Voror

Go back in the main street and on the left you should see a path to climb up and you will see a Kleidos statue too. I just did that part and fell down in the hole too :)

Ah thanks. Just noticed it. Was getting annoyed for a second there.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
If only the next Castlevania game returned to Ayami Kojima artstyle and actually look as good as the art in game with the level design of the castle area of LoS2 and expand on it and LoS2 combat with some improvements as adding more weapons.

Writing go Dark Souls but finding scrolls for extra detail on the plot and story cutscenes on boss fights mostly with a small amount out of battles.

Im asking for something not so hard to do tbh.

Sanctuary

It's pure bullshit. God what a terrible part and wait of what comes later. They were on drugs.

Are you talking about the segment that leads to the
laser room
?
If so, that only took me two continues, before deciding to test the aggro range on
the guard by the gate.
It's pretty short actually, considering the one that starts the farthest away
can see you at twice the distance.

That segment was a hell of a lot easier than
Agreus
, which I just ended up exploiting since he loses track of where you are completely and runs off if you use
mist form when he's near you.

There have been guides or whatever on how to get past that, but all I did was:
ring the bell farthest away, jump over the first pile of leaves, dash, dash, mist, dash, dash and run into the closed gate area. He won't actually look for you there and will roam away. Touch the dial/button thing and then he knows where you are again and comes after you. You can reach the opening of the gate area right as he is. Mist and he runs off again.

Top Bottom