• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania |OT| A miserable little pile of episodes - Netflix 7/7

Exodust

Banned
I'm surprised by reading so many good impressions from GAF. This is a tough audience.

It delivered on being a pretty damn good Castlevania adaption. My issues with music don't really matter because I expected it to not live up to the series anyway.

The biggest surprise to me was how much I liked Trevor. Not that I hated him before, but his characterization here is gold IMO.

Slaythe

I was actually disappointed.

It missed the mark for me.

The cast is good though and the visuals are fairly decent.

I'm probably the minority, so enjoy. :D

McNum

That was... awesome. I haven't played all that many Castlevania games, so I don't know if this is adapting any particular story, but I liked it. It is incredibly gory at times, though. But I suppose for Dracula as the villain, it is kind of fitting.

Episode 1:
Also, they killed Dracula's wife. They shouldn't have done that. Like seriously. No. Don't do that. It's bad for you. And your family. And your town. And your country. And probably the entire human race. So, you know, don't kill Dracula's wife.

So, when's episode 5?

I'm surprised by reading so many good impressions from GAF. This is a tough audience.

Well I guess it really depends on people's expectations. I was expecting something really shitty and actually got something surprisingly entertaining. The only real knock on the show is the music and some of the voice acting but its overall pretty damn good.

Episode 1 down. Pretty good. Was a bit slow, but I really liked it. Great art and animation. Loved the gore. Think I'm just gonna watch all of this now since it's only four episodes total.

Frost_Ace

Music wasn't even bad, it was just that most of us were expecting some remixes of the games' tunes. The introduction of Lisa to Dracula was also a bit weird and a bit too fast, but overall I can't complain really. Hope we get some flashbacks with Lisa via Alucard.

Castlevania Episodes 1-4:l

Okay, first thing is fucking first,
where the fuck is Grant DeNasty? I mean, they remembered that the Cycolps was the boss in the actual game that you needed to fight to free Sypha. So why skip over him completely?
That aside, I am reasonably impressed with the production thus far, especially since the atheistic values on display remind me way too much of the Lords of Shadow incarnation. Indeed, this is walking a tight tightrope given the upgrade in seriousness the story has gotten though thankfully also knowing when to inject some levity into the equation. I do hope the plot doesn't go the way of anime tropes because I enjoy the restrained direction. I suppose my biggest problem so far is the subpar sound mixing and/or line reads as sometimes I have really hard time understanding what is being said.

According to Ellis
As Wallachia does not have access to the sea, it would be pretty stupid to have a pirate hanging around.

On the last episode

....i was legit NOT expecting it to be as good as this!

Man, 4 episodes is such a cocktease!

Like the prior poster said

A R-Rated, well written, well acted adaptation of fucking Castlevania III

What

A

Time

To

Be

Alive

Nightfall

Was really surprised when I read this was out, I thought we'd have to wait much longer

So I just finished the first episode and H-O-L-Y F-U-C-K this is awesome!
Fantastic art style, great animation, the dialogue is also really good.

I'm excited for the rest.

oh baby im going to tear through this this weekend. didnt know its was only 4 eps. thats how they were able to produce it so fast. really hope it does well and season 2 is 6-10 eps

Just watched the pilot, really enjoyed it. My only issue is with some of the voice acting from the supporting characters and the accents. It just doesn't sound right for eastern europe. But other than that, it's an interesting way to approach Castlevania's lore. The flashback with Alucard's mother was always one of my favorite parts of Symphony of the Night. I'll watch the rest tonight.

kunonabi

Finished episode 4. Series takes a nose dive when it starts focusing on Trevor. I really dont like this version of him. Its a decent show but im not in love with it.

Anung

Un Rama
Just finished the first episode. Really happy with the atmosphere. It kinda reminded me of HBO's Spawn. VO is damn good too.

Is this a movie they split into 4 parts or something?

Ahasverus

Just finished the first episode. Really happy with the atmosphere. It kinda reminded me of HBO's Spawn. VO is damn good too.

Is this a movie they split into 4 parts or something?
Make it 12 parts. The other 8 are coming in a few months. But yes, it did start as a movie, ages ago.

They could have made him a rogue/thief

The thing is, Grant wasn't a pirate, he was a sort of freedom fighter/rebellion leader fighting against Dracula's forces when they were attacking Wallachia. So what if he wore something tied around his head, so does Steven Van Zandt, and he ain't a pirate.

Just started watching, first few minutes.
So Dracula is the good guy?
Interesting.
Fits with IGA said regarding his origins in Lament of Innocence...
Dracula spent years only hating God, but not mankind (even though he didn't think twice about punishing those who'd cross his path). That it was Lisa's death that made him "wage war on humanity".

Wanderer5

The thing is, Grant wasn't a pirate, he was a sort of freedom fighter/rebellion leader fighting against Dracula's forces when they were attacking Wallachia. So what if he wore something tied around his head, so does Steven Van Zandt, and he ain't a pirate.

The US instruction booklet of CV3 does mention that he was a pirate captain. Not sure if it the case for other places through.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Just finished watching the first season.

Speaking as someone who's never played a Castlevania game in my life, I really enjoyed this! Sublime voice-acting and some really lovely animation, especially during the action sequences. I have no idea why the first season seems to consist of so few episodes, though. It felt like the story was just getting started.

I look forward to more!

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Finished watching the first 4 episodes. Not a huge fan of the excessive gore, but aside from that, I I loved it!
Switched to Japanese VO for the last one and I think I'll stick with that for the next season.
Can't wait for S2, especially given how the first one ended.

Just watched the 4 episodes.
It was better than expected!
Interesting how you could see when the art switched between western and anime style.
Seems like this is an American / Japanese (or Asia, Korean etc.) production?

Also some very nice animations and unexpected amounts of gore.

Finished watching the first 4 episodes. Not a huge fan of the excessive gore, but aside from that, I I loved it!
Switched to Japanese VO for the last one and I think I'll stick with that for the next season.
Can't wait for S2, especially given how the first one ended.

I mean it's demons and stuff I would say it's pretty accurate with the gore ..hell its more faithful than Berserk current abomination.

Playsage

As someone only familiar with Castelvania by fame, I enjoyed this.

A couple of criticisms:
- This Is not a "season 1", it's clearly a sample to receive some feedback

- It was a little slow, the events probably could have been told as effectively in a 1-hour special or 3 episodes

- the closing of the finale
at least end it on a frame of the party beginning their Journey to Dracula's castle instead of cutting It that abruptly

OmegaFax

As someone only familiar with Castelvania by fame, I enjoyed this.

A couple of criticisms:
- This Is not a "season 1", it's clearly a sample to receive some feedback

- It was a little slow, the events probably could have been told as effectively in a 1-hour special or 3 episodes

- the choosing of the finale
at least end it on a frame of the party beginning their Journey to Dracula's castle instead of cutting It that abruptly

I was reading up on the mythos.
I guess in the second part of this season, we'll see at least one more character join the company, right?

Top Bottom