• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania |OT| A miserable little pile of episodes - Netflix 7/7

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I mean it's demons and stuff I would say it's pretty accurate with the gore ..hell its more faithful than Berserk current abomination.
Oh, I completely understand that this is the "correct" way of showing Castlevania, but I don't like gore in general. Just a personal preference. That said, I think it's a great adaptation.

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
I'm not a fan of how the character animations transition/move. It's very jittery, and not fluid at all. Like there isn't enough frames in between them.

SeanC

Great Gothic atmosphere. Love the small addition of science/steampunk to it just to give it a more unique style.

Fittingly gory and bloody as hell. Action scenes are great. Animation overall is pretty good, feels limited in a lot of areas (but that's cost reasons) reminds of Voltron's or Avatar style - kind of anime but not quite. A good blend.

Fantastic voice acting and music. I mean...damn.

Two episodes in and I'm like "this is kind of what I've been wanting since I was ten years old but just didn't know it until now"

It's a damn shame how this turned out, but it's expected. Video game adaptations have routinely been bad. Oh well, maybe someday we will finally get a good one.

Katori

I'm not a fan of how the character animations transition/move. It's very jittery, and not fluid at all. Like there isn't enough frames in between them.

I haven't watched it, so I don't know for certain, but a lot of animation is like that. This was probably pretty low-budget.

Here's hoping it's successful and Netflix throws some more money at them.

Wanderer5

I mean it's demons and stuff I would say it's pretty accurate with the gore ..hell its more faithful than Berserk current abomination.

And really, much of the games, least in the last couple decades or so in particular, can get pretty bloody with a few graphic stuff here and there.:p

Also yeah damn, would have been awesome if Berserk was more like this.

ElfArmy177

Only 4 episodes??? Noooooo I wanted at least 13. :( I'm so mad now, this show is fantastic and I'm a huge Castlevania fan

Welp, finished it. Why in the hell was this only four episodes? It's awesome. The animation was great, especially in the fights with the
stone cyclops and Alucard
. The voice acting has been mostly on point as well. Just a great little season. I hope the wait for the next isn't too far off.

Welp, finished it. Why in the hell was this only four episodes? It's awesome. The animation was great, especially in the fights with the
stone cyclops and Alucard
. The voice acting has been mostly on point as well. Just a great little season. I hope the wait for the next isn't too far off.

One year away please be excited.. now Netflix please release Bojack Horseman ;P

Harpoon

Not likley, Ellis cut Grant out in his original script. Doubt it changed here

He cut him out of the script for the first movie, yeah, but he also said he would appear in the ones after (when this was going to be a trilogy of movies). I feel pretty confident he'll be in the next season.

Devout Castlevania buff here, happy to report that I think they are pulling it off.

- Voice talent selection was right on the money
- Wish the art style was more akin to Ayami Kojima (unrealistic expectation to be sure), but I think they did a great job overall, high production value all around.
- Humor and swearing caught me off guard at first, but I've come around to it.
- Great character introductions Ep4:
literally giddy during the Alucard fight and afterwards when he puts on his outfit reminicent of SOTN
- Instantly left me wanting more
- Hope to see more of the classic bestiary in the next round of episodes

Just finished this, was great but too short . Really want to play a new Castlevania game again. :(

Hell after watching it i'd even rebuy
CastlevaniaHarmonyofDespair.png

if it was ported to PS4.

Sir Doom

Holy Shit in the first opening scene they quickly won me over in caring for the antagonist.

This feels like this decade's HBO Spawn

SpaceWolf

Banned
This show got me really interested in Lisa's character and her unfolding dynamic with Dracula,
only to immediately proceed towards brutally killing her off.

Perhaps I should have seen it coming.

OmegaFax

Devout Castlevania buff here, happy to report that I think they are pulling it off.

- Voice talent selection was right on the money
- Wish the art style was more akin to Ayami Kojima (unrealistic expectation to be sure), but I think they did a great job overall, high production value all around.
- Humor and swearing caught me off guard at first, but I've come around to it.
literally giddy during the Alucard fight and afterwards when he puts on his outfit reminicent of SOTN
- Instantly left me wanting more
- Hope to see more of the classic bestiary in the next round of episodes

The Alicard fight was really well done. It actually felt like a game boss fight in a way. Alucard's warp movement during Trevor's sword combat with Alucard particularly struck me as a "game moment"
Even though I'm not really up to speed on the mythos, from what I've played of past Castlevania games (or at least tried to) ... it stood up well on its own.

Jazzem

Holy shit this was incredible, surely has to be the best video game adaptation of any description! The dialogue + character conflict were both remarkably compelling, they did an excellent job of taking the creative elements from the franchise while fleshing them out in a narrative driven medium. Animation is superb for the most part, it can't always carry crowd scenes effectively but the colour choices + expressiveness of faces + brilliant fight choreography are all incredible achievements given the limitations they must've faced.

Trevor Belmont is also now one of my favourite protagonists across all media :D I love the characterisation they gave him, contributed a lot to the emotional core while providing some surprisingly effective humour.

Ha yeah, I lost my mind when that happened

This show got me really interested in Lisa's character and her unfolding dynamic with Dracula,
only to immediately proceed towards brutally killing her off.

Perhaps I should have seen it coming.

Yeah I was gutted at that given their excellent chemistry, wish there had been a few episodes more to flesh that out.

HiiiLife

Makes me wish I played the franchise as a kid. Now I just want a newer one on Xbox, in the same vein as this art style.

Gilzor

For the people questioning why this is only 4 episodes it's worth pointing out that this is practically a feature-length Castlevania adaptation that was broken into episodes. Warren Ellis was announced around a decade ago as the writer of what was reported to be a feature-length animated movie based on Castlevania, and I even remember him posting an excerpt of the screenplay on his blog -- which turned out to be, line for line, the goat conversation in the tavern in episode 1. This is very much still that script, it's just taken around a decade for it to actually see the light of day.

Hate most anime, don't know anything about Castlevania. Surprisingly, I really enjoyed it and was disappointed when it ended. The animations can be a bit rough, but it's solid throughout the action scenes. I agree with the post on this page that said it would have been better as a 3 part deal, as there's a ton of dialogue scenes that didn't seem to serve much to the plot or characterization. Still, I enjoyed it as a non fan.

Xe4

Banned
Well, shit. Episode 4 was the best of the bunch. The
Alucard v. Trevor
fight was fucking dope. Solid 9/10 for me. Trevor was great. He definitely stole the show for me.

All in all, I liked it. It had its problems, but it turned out quite nice. If they can fix a few things for the next season I think it could go good -> great. Better sound direction and a bit more consistent animation would go a long way. Better music too. If they would play covers of Castlevania songs during big moments (like the aforementioned fight), I wouldn't have noticed, but it would've gotten a lot of fans hype AF. I bet getting the rights from Konami would be a bitch though.

Looking forward to S2.

Already got an 8-episode Season 2.

On the day of its Season 1 debut, Netflix has ordered a second season of its new original animated series Castlevania, based on the popular video games, from Wow! Unlimited Media's Frederator Studios. In addition, the internet TV network has increased the episode order from four in its first season to eight for Season 2.

edit: oh wait, this is already in the OP! Haha.

The Dink

Wow. That was actually surprisingly amazing. The gamer in me is going to miss
not having Grant Danasty
but I'm there for the next eight episodes. I can't even understand how some people didn't like it. This was far better than it had any right to be and I would place it above most of the DC animated features people are praising these days. It has some rough spots but this is a video game adaption done right.

Narag

Good, we'll see Ellis' three movie vision realized even if split into episodes. I was worried when I thought this was just going to be 8 eps across 2 seasons.

God I'd kill for a Berserk show with even this level of animation and quality.
Yeah. I think whatever studio does the Rage of Bahamut anime would be great for Berserk. Though honestly, Even those Golden Age Arc movies were miles better animated than the new series.

bumpkin

I never played Castlevania III, so it was an interesting angle for them to take with the story. I really enjoyed it though. My only disappointment? They only did four episodes... Such a tease! Hopefully they do another season.

OmegaFax

I never played Castlevania III, so it was an interesting angle for them to take with the story. I really enjoyed it though. My only disappointment? They only did four episodes... Such a tease! Hopefully they do another season.

I like when they do a lead-in like this. You get time to establish the characters and the backdrop to give a bit of breathing room before jumping into things. It's a good sign when it ends and you want more and it's leading into something. Well played.

Top Bottom