• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania |OT| A miserable little pile of episodes - Netflix 7/7

Ludovico

Should have savored it, but I couldn't help it - watched it straight through this morning.
Freaking awesome, a great interpretation of the games' mythos.

Can't wait to rewatch, and then anticipate the remaining eps.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
You're joking, right? I was really looking forward to this and I couldn't make it past the first five minutes.
This girl walks past hundreds of skewered skeletons and is literally like "Maybe you wouldn't be such a dick if you traveled more."

This is me exactly.

Ahasverus

You're joking, right? I was really looking forward to this and I couldn't make it past the first five minutes.
This girl walks past hundreds of skewered skeletons and is literally like "Maybe you wouldn't be such a dick if you traveled more."
I know far to many women like that.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Anyone else on here play this on PlayStation 3? I bought it a while back, but can't ever seem to find other players.

Let me know if you're interested in playing online. All of my progress is on the Xbox 360 version, but I don't have an Xbox 360 anymore. I started playing the PlayStation 3 version from scratch recently.

I don't have a mic for PS3 so I'd have to be silent but I'm up for games!

duckroll

Would you recommend it to someone who has only a passing interest in all things Castlevania?

That's an open question, so please do let me know your thoughts. I know it's only 2hrs, but that's two hours I could spend watching something else.

I... don't know? I guess the real question is whether you're interested in a somewhat campy but well intended fantasy animation about the evil church, Dracula, and errr stuff? I don't think it's particularly great for someone who doesn't care about Castlevania at all, but I'll say anyone who at least watched someone play SotN at some point and though it was interesting would probably not feel it's a waste of time? But then again, this season has no real ending. It's a 90min-ish prologue to the meat of the story, which won't be out until next year.

I just binged it, if you can count 4 episodes as a binge.

I'm very pleased, I always knew I was right to back Trevor as best Belmont.
So I guess I'll just pop myself into a coffin for a year for the continuation to turn up.

kubev

I don't have a mic for PS3 so I'd have to be silent but I'm up for games!

No worries. I don't have a mic, either. Just keep in mind that I've only played as Alucard and Charloette a little bit, and I don't have very good gear for either. The furthest that I've gotten so far is stage five. My PSN username is kubevubin. What's yours?

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
No worries. I don't have a mic, either. Just keep in mind that I've only played as Alucard and Charloette a little bit, and I don't have very good gear for either. The furthest that I've gotten so far is stage five. My PSN username is kubevubin. What's yours?

Check out my profile. And i don't care much about gear or skills for that matter. Just want to have fun. Anybody else that want to jump in, feel free to do so. Let's rock that castle! Now I'm wondering if I did max Charlotte on PS3...

RedShift

Just finished episode 1. That ending.
"shhhhit"

Love it so far. Don't really know much about Castlevania, only really briefly played any of them.

ryseing

Fucking tease.
Ending with Alucard vs Trevor, goddamn.

So is
Alucard the son of the burned "witch"? That would only make him ~20, right?

I don't know a thing about the games and thought this was great. It's on the lean side and doesn't bog itself down in over-explaining the details of the world. The music, animation, and voice acting were all really good, too. Even though I want more, I didn't feel unsatisfied by how the season ended.

J_Viper

I liked the voice work from Dracula, but I think the writing was kinda wretched

Maybe I'll give it another shot later

HotHamBoy

Wait, this is actually good?

I love Castlevania... guess I'm watching this tonight. (Although tempted to save it for Halloween)

Ahasverus

Fucking tease.
Ending with Alucard vs Trevor, goddamn.

So is
Alucard the son of the burned "witch"? That would only make him ~20, right?
Yep.

I love how they found out a way to make sense of Alucard being inside a coffin on the original game. In fact, the whole adaptation of the classic elements was impressive

The hypest moment in the show was clearly
when the castle rose up for the first time. I got filled with glee.

-Gozer-

Only watched the first episode so far and it was pretty disappointing for me.

How can someone create a Castlevania show without any Castlevania music?

I can only imagine it's already enough of a pain in the ass to work with Konami without also having to negotiate international music licensing rights.

jett

D-Member
Not really feeling it, kinda boring and uninteresting. The faux-anime style is pretty good, but the animation seems budget.

Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust is the best Castlevania movie this world is ever gonna get.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Alucard has his sick-ass coat. All is right in the world. Fuck it only being 4 episodes though.

I've always had a casual interest in Castlevania but I've played none of the games. But whips are cool and so are vampires. I've watched a lot of SotN speedruns over the years Alucard is cool design wise. This was actually kinda rad. It makes me actually want to get into the games now. Feels like a movie split into 4 parts honestly.
Only issues I had was: this was too short and the animation gets kinda rough/choppy in places, but that some how adds to the 90s anime charm it has?
Ep 1 is a bit rough (I've seen a few people drop it because it's a bit corndog at the start), but if you can get passed that you should be golden. I'm in for the ride, probably gonna play a few of the games now thanks to ep4
as that Trevor/Alucard fight was actually great

I wish there was an easy way to play the Castlevania games nowadays...

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Yeah the animation was kind of spotty at times, especially the inbetween frames of the sword swings could look quite bad, overall I enjoyed it though, looking forward to part 2

Ahasverus

I've always had a casual interest in Castlevania but I've played none of the games. But whips are cool and so are vampires. I've watched a lot of SotN speedruns over the years Alucard is cool design wise. This was actually kinda rad. It makes me actually want to get into the games now. [/spoiler].

I wish there was an easy way to play the Castlevania games nowadays...
Play Castlevania 3, you'll be surprised by how close the series adapts it. And still holds up! I'd recommend using infinite lives cheats though.

Moff

that was really good and a lot better I had hoped it would be, some really cool dialogue in it
I really like the art but I hope they can afford some smoother animation for season 2.

BumRush

Enjoy Castlevania but am by no means a MASSIVE fan (I've probably finished 3 Castlevania games).

Awesome 4 episodes. Can't wait for more.

To be fair, Lords of Shadow games had no "Castlevania music" either, at least lacked most of the original tunes (maybe a slight arranged melody hear and there, but only briefly and noticeable to the trained ear) and went the "epic cinematic" route.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Play Castlevania 3, you'll be surprised by how close the series adapts it. And still holds up! I'd recommend using infinite lives cheats though.

Or he could play Akumajou Densetsu because it doesn't have insane difficulty scaling, plus having better music.

Raitaro

Not really feeling it, kinda boring and uninteresting. The faux-anime style is pretty good, but the animation seems budget.

Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust is the best Castlevania movie this world is ever gonna get.

Oof, after the many positive recommendations this negative one kind of hit me mainly because I really love Bloodlust and have been considering it as a perfect Castlevania movie replacement for years as well. Granted, I've yet to start watching the Castlevania series but now I'm less sure I'll like it.

Only gripes so far are the excessive gore, the crassness, and the extremely lackluster music. Really liking the rest of it.

Crap, just saw this comment about the music, which was my biggest wish they'd get right after the art style. Surely they would have been able to compose a soundtrack based on the official music from the games if they have the license, no? Why not go that route? Sigh...

Did castlevania 3 have the scenes ep1
of lisa being burned at the stake crying out to Alucard not to hate them? I know thats shown in sotn not sure if that's shown in cv3 or was back story lore that wasn't shown till sotn

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
of lisa being burned at the stake crying out to Alucard not to hate them? I know thats shown in sotn not sure if that's shown in cv3 or was back story lore that wasn't shown till sotn

no that was added to symphony of the night

Ahasverus

So, should I prepare myself for there to not be any music from the games in this?
Yes
No, that was in SOTN and was kinda not equivalent to this one. The series itself is pretty light in storytelling, most of important moments are more referenced than shown.

Skab

Damn that was way WAY to short. Basically ended right when it was getting started.

Give me that season 2 asap.

Stalk

Jesus Christ this was amazing. That first episode just blew me away and then I loved the ride all the way through, even my wife who isn't even sure what Castlevania is was blown away. Trevor's dialogue is an absolute treat.

nOoblet16

Finished it but have a question regarding something that happens within the first 10 mins and is also from SoTN.
Erm where was Dracula while his wife was being tied up and then ready to be burnt alive? Where was he while she was actually being burned?

Ahasverus

Finished it but have a question regarding something that happens within the first 10 mins and is also from SoTN.
Erm where was Dracula while his wife was being tied up and then ready to be burnt alive? Where was he while she was actually being burned?
Traveling by foot, as she advised.

I liked it, but that was more of an appetizer really. Ended up liking Trevor more than I had expected to based upon the first episode. Alucard is way more badass though. Hope we get s3 SotN.

Ban Puncher

Went in with zero expectations and came out thinking 'not bad'.

The action scenes sorely need a lot more in-between animation frames. Gets real choppy and cheap looking when stuff is really happening.

kami_sama

Went in with zero expectations and came out thinking 'not bad'.

The action scenes sorely need a lot more in-between animation frames. Gets real choppy and cheap looking when stuff is really happening.

Yeah, the snimation was rough on some parts, but I still think this has been one great adaptation.
The story pulled me right in. I binged on the episodes without moving the slider, and that's rare in me.
In the end I want more, so a new season, with 8 instead of 4 chapters is awesome.

so I watched again with the Japanese dub, the voice acting was much better in Japanese

interesting thing that I noticed
they didn't change Trevor's name to Ralph which was his name in the Japanese versions of CV3, SOTC and CoD

Godcannon

The only thing I didn't like about it was that it was only 4 episodes. Man, this shit puts me in a trance. Can't wait for more.

Top Bottom