• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB 2013 |Bowl Games| FSU IS BACK BABY, JAMEIS HEI5MAN, & GATAS IN THE TOILET BOWL!

Silkworm

Hmmm. Then why is there a penalty for running into them when it's clearly accidental/your momentum carrying you?

If you're barreling toward them and they get rid of the ball at the last second, how are you supposed to not touch them?
Veer away at the last second.... some can do it better than others.

Talon

Hmmm. Then why is there a penalty for running into them when it's clearly accidental/your momentum carrying you?

If you're barreling toward them and they get rid of the ball at the last second, how are you supposed to not touch them?
That's just the rule. It's largely because they're a vulnerable player - the original defenseless player. You're taught at a young age to come off the edge at an angle, so you don't clip the punter.

Piano

Banned
Should have been a Pass Interference call.

Anyways, does FSU have a shot here? I was under the impression that we were pretty good but maybe those SECSECSEC people have a point.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Should have been a Pass Interference call.

Anyways, does FSU have a shot here? I was under the impression that we were pretty good but maybe those SECSECSEC people have a point.

Did you say the same thing against Miami and Florida when we struggled early?

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Alabama put up yards on this Defense, they just went too much to Yeldon up the gut in the RZ, leading to stops and bad field goals. Auburn's got a strong DLine that you need to plan around. If you can stop the pass rush, guys should be wide open down field.

andycapps

The advanced stats have them better actually - particular the opponent plays vs. schedule comparison.

But yeah they're line in the 90s in yards/play allowed at close to 6.
True, in scoring defense they were 38 in the country. I'll admit that FSU was padding their offensive stats against mostly shitty teams, but Auburn is at best, an average SEC defense. In a cursory look, they're about 7th in the conference in scoring defense.

It's just funny hearing Herbie and Brent have to make up things to try to have something nice to talk about.

It's hilarious to hear Todd Blackledge on the radio talking up SEC defenses given how poorly they've played this Bowl Season.

Auburn's defense does look pretty fucking ferocious right now. What gets my goat is how the term "SEC" has come to be synonymous with "fucking awesome." It like literally doesn't mean anything else anymore. For God's sake people were saying FSU "is basically an SEC team" ... why, because they're good and in the title game? Yeah, FSU is basically Kenutcky and Miss St. What does that even mean. Also, Notre Dame had an "SEC" defense last year, too, I recall. It's gotten completely ridiculous.

Talon

True, in scoring defense they were 38 in the country. I'll admit that FSU was padding their offensive stats against mostly shitty teams, but Auburn is at best, an average SEC defense. In a cursory look, they're about 7th in the conference in scoring defense.

It's just funny hearing Herbie and Brent have to make up things to try to have something nice to talk about.
The defensive line is good. That's almost enough at this level for one game.

I mean, shit, that sCam team straight-up stunk and Fairley just enveloped Oregon for 60 minutes.

cdyhybrid

But an average SEC defense is elite in any other conference!

Someone at ESPN is a Giant Bomb fan, it's like E3 for football dudes on espn2. In fact they should bring in Jeff and the crew instead of gummy mouth ass Holtz and espn2 cast offs.

Draconian

Well, since the SEC has the top 14 defenses, I'd say 7th is pretty good.

Top Bottom