• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB 2013 |Bowl Games| FSU IS BACK BABY, JAMEIS HEI5MAN, & GATAS IN THE TOILET BOWL!

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Football coaches are hilariously overpaid.

I get paying Jimbo 4mil a year or Saban 5.5 mil a year. But paying the Vandy coach 2 mil? The USF coach 2 mil? Come on.

Now apply this same reasoning to Saban.

Texas fans have rationalized Saban wants a new challenge, and he is fed up with Alabama fans that leave games early. We believe this is why he wants to pack up and move to Austin. That and a $6million dollar raise.

For the record, I still think there's a < 1% chance of him coming here. Once Mack Brown officially steps down, I doubt that number changes.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Because Texas could offer him double what you pay him if they wanted to. You can't win a bidding war against Texas. Texas is still the best job in the country.
That's certainly debatable.

Texas may--in a theoretical bidding war where all reason is thrown out the window--be able to outbid any other school for a coach, but in the real world, Texas won't throw so much money at a coach that other top schools can't match it.
Saban's conquered and dominated. Time for a new challenge?
So if Jimbo wins in January, time to move on?

cashman

Banned
I don't know that he has actually signed it yet. I can't see any reason why he'd leave FSU for UT though now that he's got FSU back at the pinnacle of college football. Would be kind of silly to walk away from something you've just re-built.

Now apply this same reasoning to Saban.
The main reason:

Code:
Rank        School        Revenue        Expenses         Profit
1           Texas        $93,942,815   $25,112,331  $68,830,484
2           Georgia      $70,838,539   $18,308,654  $52,529,885
3           Penn State   $70,208,584   $19,780,939  $50,427,645
4           Michigan     $63,189,417   $18,328,233  $44,861,184
5           Florida      $68,715,750   $24,457,557  $44,258,193
6           LSU          $68,819,806   $25,566,520  $43,253,286
7           Alabama      $71,884,525   $31,118,134  $40,766,391
8           Tennessee    $56,593,946   $17,357,345  $39,236,601
9           Auburn       $66,162,720   $27,911,713  $38,251,007
10          Oklahoma     $58,295,888   $20,150,769  $38,145,119
99          FSU          $18,958,861   $16,345,376  $2,613,485

mre

The main reason:

Code:
6           LSU          $68,819,806   $25,566,520   $43,253,286
8          Tennessee     $56,593,946  $17,357,345  $39,236,601
9          Auburn        $66,162,720   $27,911,713  $38,251,007
10        Oklahoma       $58,295,888   $20,150,769  $38,145,119
99        FSU            $18,958,861   $16,345,376  $2,613,485
Unless you think that Texas is contemplating paying the man more than $40m per year, I'm not really sure that's relevant.

I'm also pretty sure that FSU is Fresno State, and I hope you knew that.

Talon

...how the fuck is Georgia bringing in so much dough?
Maybe if Jimbo wins two more. Saban has established consistent dominance. I mean, come on. Jimbo's got a little more to prove before we lump in the same category as Saban.
I must have imagined Bama losing.

mre

Maybe if Jimbo wins two more. Saban has established consistent dominance. I mean, come on. Jimbo's got a little more to prove before we lump in the same category as Saban.
This was what I was responding to:
I can't see any reason why he'd leave FSU for UT though now that he's got FSU back at the pinnacle of college football. Would be kind of silly to walk away from something you've just re-built.
While Saban's had more success, both he and Jimbo have worked hard to rebuild their current program. Meier thinks it would be silly for Jimbo to walk away after investing this hard work. I think it would be just as silly for Saban to walk away.

However, if he does, he does. He did a good job for us, but we will move on to the next coach.

Preferably one who knows to clue the FG team into the possibility of a run back when attempting a fucking 57 yard field goal.
ESPN recently counted down the top 10 coaching jobs in football. Texas was their #1 college program on the list
Well, shit. If ESPN says so.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
At least in the top 3.

Just saying if Texas really wanted Jimbo (for whatever reason), they would get him IMO.

mre is talking mainly of Saban.

FSU cannot and will not compete with Texas on the upper end of salaries if Texas goes insane. Bama can.

cashman

Banned
Unless you think that Texas is contemplating paying the man more than $40m per year, I'm not really sure that's relevant.

I'm also pretty sure that FSU is Fresno State, and I hope you knew that.
The list is a couple years old, but It's not Fresno State
Point is,that that if he desired money Texas couldn't be beat. I still don't think Saban is coming to UT, but they're still the only ones that could pry him away from Alabama.

Saban ain't leaving. And Texas won't massively overpay for Malzahn, Sumerlin, or any other lightly proven coaches who just got raises.

But I don't have any good alternatives to suggest.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
This was what I was responding to:

While Saban's had more success, both he and Jimbo have worked hard to rebuild their current program. Meier thinks it would be silly for Jimbo to walk away after investing this hard work. I think it would be just as silly for Saban to walk away.

However, if he does, he does. He did a good job for us, but we will move on to the next coach.

Preferably one who knows to clue the FG team into the possibility of a run back when attempting a fucking 57 yard field goal.

Well, shit. If ESPN says so.

The thing that gets me, is the thought that Alabama immediately reverts to 1997-2007 form.

That, and no matter how long it's been since the "I'm not going to be the Alabama Coach", that statement will be brought up. That if he sticks around another year, it's a guarantee this "group jerkoff session" will just pop back up a year from now.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Nobody "loves it" in Waco.

I could certainly see Briles loving it there. Outside of 3 or 4 years of college in Houston and the 5 years he coached in Houston he's spent his entire life bouncing around from town to town that are Lubbock's size or smaller. He left Houston before he graduated to finish up school at Texas Tech. The town he grew up in doesn't even have 1,000 people in it today. He originally made a name for himself as a high school coach in Stephenville for 16 or 17 years and they only have a population of about 17,000 today. Graduate degree in Abilene which just clears 100,000 today.

Waco is a bustling metropolis compared to where he's spent most of his life. He can clearly win there and get paid there, and he's the most popular guy in town, but it's small and easygoing and laid back and he's 58 years old.

mre

Point is,that that if he desired money Texas couldn't be beat. I still don't think Saban is coming to UT, but they're still the only ones that could pry him away from Alabama.
Touche. I concede the point that it was Florida State. That shit is just shameful, Noles fans.

However, I again maintain that in the real world Texas cannot outspend Alabama--or any number of schools--for Saban. Using your numbers as an example, we could, hypothetically, match you dollar for dollar up to ~$45m (including his current salary). Will we? No. But then again there's no way that Texas would up the bidding that far either. Bama can and probably would match Texas up to ~$10m if given the opportunity. If Saban leaves for UT for less than $10m then it's because he wanted out for personal reasons.

jjasper

The main reason:

Code:
6           LSU          $68,819,806   $25,566,520  $43,253,286
8           Tennessee    $56,593,946   $17,357,345  $39,236,601
9           Auburn       $66,162,720   $27,911,713  $38,251,007
10          Oklahoma     $58,295,888   $20,150,769  $38,145,119
99          FSU          $18,958,861   $16,345,376  $2,613,485

No wonder our administration doesn't want to pay a good coach and is content with losing.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Jim Trotter &#8207;@SI_JimTrotter 9m

just spoke to someone who would know. didn't hesitate when asked if texas would pay $100M for saban. "yes," he said.

00+Dr+Evil.jpg

mre

Jim Trotter &#8207;@SI_JimTrotter 9m

just spoke to someone who would know. didn't hesitate when asked if texas would pay $100M for saban. "yes," he said.

00+Dr+Evil.jpg
Over 10 years? That's not surprising. Of course he'll be 72/73 at the end of that period...

Was surprised to see Texas basketball turns more of a profit than Kentucky basketball. They're doing something wrong at Kentucky if thats truly the case.

squicken

I
Waco is a bustling metropolis compared to where he's spent most of his life. He can clearly win there and get paid there, and he's the most popular guy in town, but it's small and easygoing and laid back and he's 58 years old.

I get what your saying and agree. But I wouldn't waste time on this argument here

Meier

FSU has weird reporting for it's athletics revenue. We know that number is grossly inaccurate as that's almost what the ACC is paying us just from the media rights alone.

It does seem like quite a few reputable people are running with the Saban to Texas thing. A TCU beat writer for the Fort Worth Star Telegram said this: "Source close to Texas executive council of regents says Nick Saban will be next Longhorns coach."

All joking aside, I won't believe any "Saban to X" rumors until I actually see him on that sideline. And even then, it's like 50/50 that it's a Pod-person.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
I guess it's not 100% yet but apparently there is word out that Baker Mayfield is transferring from Tech, and the strange part is that he's apparently leaving this week, like tomorrow. Won't stick around for the bowl game so we'll likely only have Webb and Brewer available.

Not a huge surprise that one of our 3 QBs is leaving, but most expected it to not be before Spring practice and certainly not before the bowl game. I believe 4th stringer Clayton Nicholas is already gone as well (or at least he will be gone after the season) so that leaves us with only two scholarship QBs on the roster.

squicken

I really think people are sleeping on Gruden. One of the biggest supposed negatives of the UT job is the LHN. Gruden already works for ESPN. He gets how to use that platform that I don't think other coaches understand. Likes the camera. Kids know him from TV. He does a lot of networking with that Fired Coaches Association in Florida. He would be able to put together a killer staff with the budget he'd have

Plus, the guy can coach.

not a horrible finish for the pick em but a far cry from where I think i normally finish, oh well another fun year in the books, thanks TTK for yet again showing that we dont need yahoo!

gonna guess we are using yahoo again for the bowl picks

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
It's easier to have a string of dominance in the NCAA than it is in the NFL. By far.

What string of dominance is comparable to what Bama's done in the past 5 years? Funny, the one that compares closest is the Patriots run at the beginning of the century.

I don't think you take a job in one of the hardest conferences, that had recently won 3 national championships because you're afraid of a challenge. Sure, he can pick the players he wants, but he still has to out recruit the other big names to get them as well.

I think the biggest difference between being a successful college coach and a successful pro coach is the matter of control. Saban can control who he wants to recruit, which assistants he wants to hire. In the pros, thats up to your GM. And regardless of how good of a coach you are, you can never overcome a shitty GM.

What string of dominance is comparable to what Bama's done in the past 5 years? Funny, the one that compares closest is the Patriots run at the beginning of the century.

I don't think you take a job in one of the hardest conferences, that had recently won 3 national championships because you're afraid of a challenge. Sure, he can pick the players he wants, but he still has to out recruit the other big names to get them as well.

I think the biggest difference between being a successful college coach and a successful pro coach is the matter of control. Saban can control who he wants to recruit, which assistants he wants to hire. In the pros, thats up to your GM. And regardless of how good of a coach you are, you can never overcome a shitty GM.

Do you mean in NFL or CFB?

KingGondo

Banned
I guess it's not 100% yet but apparently there is word out that Baker Mayfield is transferring from Tech, and the strange part is that he's apparently leaving this week, like tomorrow. Won't stick around for the bowl game so we'll likely only have Webb and Brewer available.

Not a huge surprise that one of our 3 QBs is leaving, but most expected it to not be before Spring practice and certainly not before the bowl game. I believe 4th stringer Clayton Nicholas is already gone as well (or at least he will be gone after the season) so that leaves us with only two scholarship QBs on the roster.
Baker's gonna have a great career at OSU.

In either. I'm not talking strictly repeating as champion either. That why the Patriots run in the early aughts seems to me to be the most similar.

I'd say both Nebraska and Florida State were more dominate in the 90's than Bama has been now. Florida State had a ridiculous high winning percentage and 2 national championships and Nebraska's "dynasty/run" from 93-97 is still unmatched if you break down the whole package down. Call me a homer I suppose.

Aesius

No wonder our administration doesn't want to pay a good coach and is content with losing.

We lucked out with Butch. It's now pretty clear that Hart could have easily screwed up yet another coaching hire and killed the football program for good.

jjasper

In either. I'm not talking strictly repeating as champion either. That why the Patriots run in the early aughts seems to me to be the most similar.

This run by Bama is not real uncommon. Probably actually the norm outside of a small window at the beginning of the BCS era. Pretty much the way college sports in general is set up.

We lucked out with Butch. It's now pretty clear that Hart could have easily screwed up yet another coaching hire and killed the football program for good.

Yeah if nothing else Butch is definitely going to increase the talent level.

Top Bottom