• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB 2013 |Bowl Games| FSU IS BACK BABY, JAMEIS HEI5MAN, & GATAS IN THE TOILET BOWL!

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
This run by Bama is not real uncommon. Probably actually the norm outside of a small window at the beginning of the BCS era. Pretty much the way college sports in general is set up.

Not basketball, not anymore. Your power teams are always going to be factors, because they get the best recruits, but they are no more guaranteed to win than any other. Heck, the NBA has less parity than any college sport. When's the last time they had a new champion, never won it before? 2005?

Not basketball, not anymore. Your power teams are always going to be factors, because they get the best recruits, but they are no more guaranteed to win than any other. Heck, the NBA has less parity than any college sport. When's the last time they had a new champion, never won it before? 2005?

Dallas 2011, but you're not wrong.

andycapps

...how the fuck is Georgia bringing in so much dough?

Georgia always brings in tons of money and doesn't spend much of it at all. Georgia could get Saban if money were the only question. They've been raking in those types of profits for years now, I wouldn't be surprised if the "war chest" had 1/4 billion in it. I'm not sure why our AD and BoR never want to spend any of it though. It's not like UGA has stockholders.

Also, Saban to Texas for $10 million a year. Watch and see. Send me $9.95 if you want more details.

jjasper

The point I was mainly focusing on was that in college sports the advantage is always to the winners. They are going to get the best players as opposed to pro sports where it is usually the losers that get to draft first. So one successful run in college football can lead to a better incoming class and then it just builds from there. I will agree the basketball is different. With the rules in place currently if you get a great class they are gone in a year and you might not get anything from it and the NBA definitely has had parity problems although right now it isn't too bad if you accept that the eastern conference is just a 97 game playoff between Indiana and Miami.

Meier

Oh yeah, I was at my wife's work party last night (she also works at UT) and a big wig was there who had some ties to people in Alabama. Saban to UT was apparently what this person was hearing as well from those folks. It's going to be interesting to see how it all pans out.

Quake1028

Oh yeah, I was at my wife's work party last night (she also works at UT) and a big wig was there who had some ties to people in Alabama. Saban to UT was apparently what this person was hearing as well from those folks. It's going to be interesting to see how it all pans out.

PP address for my $9.95 please.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

This is about the level of sources I suspect everyone has.

KingGondo

Banned
Objection! Hearsay.

I have two cousins in Texas that are A&M alumni, and they have said nothing about Saban.

Their silence speaks volumes, if you ask me. They know, and they're scared.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
I could be in the room with Saban when he signs the contract and slaps Mack Brown in the face and I probably wouldn't bother posting about it. So many rumors about houses and flights and resignations and extensions and whatever flying around these days pretty much nothing is considered credible until the official press releases.

Saban is just 2 months younger than Mack? Not sure if want.......

That's the thing I don't understand. Saban looks young, looks healthy. Perhaps he coaches until he's 75, I don't know. But he's 62. Let's say he goes to Texas. With an optimistic outlook, maybe he has them as a national championship contender when he's 65? 66? He turned Alabama around quickly, so 65 doesn't seem unreasonable. How much longer does he want to do this, and does he want to spend perhaps a significant portion of that time in rebuilding mode? (And who knows, maybe the answer is that he actually does, because he enjoys the challenge of it.)

andycapps

Apparently UGA is going to or may be adding 10k seats to Sanford Stadium. They won't be closing up the end zone, but adding a third level in the east end zone. Only seeing stuff on Twitter, and these seem to be leaks but nothing from beat writers yet.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
That's the thing I don't understand. Saban looks young, looks healthy. Perhaps he coaches until he's 75, I don't know. But he's 62. Let's say he goes to Texas. With an optimistic outlook, maybe he has them as a national championship contender when he's 65? 66? He turned Alabama around quickly, so 65 doesn't seem unreasonable. How much longer does he want to do this, and does he want to spend perhaps a significant portion of that time in rebuilding mode? (And who knows, maybe the answer is that he actually does, because he enjoys the challenge of it.)

He said he feels like he's getting too old to do that, but we're probably throwing everything he said out the window anyway.

CobbFC09

Apparently UGA is going to or may be adding 10k seats to Sanford Stadium. They won't be closing up the end zone, but adding a third level in the east end zone. Only seeing stuff on Twitter, and these seem to be leaks but nothing from beat writers yet.
Any word on a time frame? I keep seeing people mention it, but haven't seen a date.

andycapps

Any word on a time frame? I keep seeing people mention it, but haven't seen a date.

No clue.. The whole thing is kind of weird because I see bloggers talking about it like it's a done deal, but I think that some of the beat writers may be taking some vacation this week due it being a break between the season and bowl preparations. Despite how much money UGA has in reserves, I'm sure they won't just bankroll the whole thing. They'll start with a contribution from the athletics fund and then they'll raise donations. Because we don't have enough money already...

There's talent on that UT roster right now, after all they finished a game from winning the conference and making a BCS bowl. I don't see why a coach as great as Saban can't succeed immediately.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Fresh off the news that Mayfield is transferring, apparently today he was named Big XII Offensive Freshman of the Year. :jnc

I can't imagine it would take Saban three years to make Texas a national championship contender.

So are we doing the bowl pick 'em on Yahoo again this year? If nobody has set it up yet, I don't mind clicking the buttons. But I don't want to overstep my bounds.

andycapps

I can't imagine it would take Saban three years to make Texas a national championship contender.

My guess, 2 years. Texas ended up doing pretty well this year. Could regress some in his first year when they're getting used to "the process" and from existing players not buying in. But a second year, I think he could win the conference and have a shot at the playoffs.

Jhriad

What string of dominance is comparable to what Bama's done in the past 5 years? Funny, the one that compares closest is the Patriots run at the beginning of the century.

Err... no. There's an obvious comparison in the college game that is far more apt.

Nebraska Cornhuskers 1993-1997

60 Wins - 3 Losses
3 National Titles
4 Conference Championships

Alabama Crimson Tide 2009-2013
60 Wins - 6 Losses
3 National Titles
2 Conference Championships

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Smart. Just did that.

tumblr_m57ye4lj3Z1qz4vfso1_500.png

An annual tradition: using my Yahoo account for the first time since March Madness, picking Texas to win and putting them at 32 points, then forgetting about it till after the bowl game to say "OH SHIT!" and filling out the rest.

Err... no. There's an obvious comparison in the college game that is far more apt.

60 Wins - 3 Losses
3 National Titles

60 Wins - 6 Losses
3 National Titles

Plus Nebraskas run of championships were all undefeated seasons with the back-to-back undefeated seasons (25-0). Not to take anything away from Bama, but they only had one undefeated NC season. Then again, I'm a homer!

I'll hold off on the Texas v. Oregon pick until I know who's coaching.

Both scenarios are an Oregon WIN prediction, but it would alter my confidence points.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Plus Nebraskas run of championships were all undefeated seasons with the back-to-back undefeated seasons (25-0). Not to take anything away from Bama, but they only had one undefeated NC season. Then again, I'm a homer!

But Alabama plays in the SEC so their losses don't count.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.

60 Wins - 3 Losses
3 National Titles

60 Wins - 6 Losses
3 National Titles

You forgot to account for SEC SEC SEC SEC SEC SEC SEC SEC

Quake1028

60 Wins - 3 Losses
3 National Titles

60 Wins - 6 Losses
3 National Titles

Miami Hurricanes 1987-1991
56 Wins - 4 Losses
3 National Titles

That's the best I can do.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Congratulations to Jace Amaro for being 1st team All American at TE and a unanimous 1st team All Big XII selection at TE. An especially amazing accomplishment since we know he's not a TE, as the Mackey Award people told us so.

Also congratulations to Austin Seferian Jenkins for winning the Mackey Award despite not even making the All Pac-12 first team.

Still Salty. That award is a joke this season.

Top Bottom