• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB 2013 |Bowl Games| FSU IS BACK BABY, JAMEIS HEI5MAN, & GATAS IN THE TOILET BOWL!

cdyhybrid

Congratulations to Jace Amaro for being 1st team All American at TE and a unanimous 1st team All Big XII selection at TE. An especially amazing accomplishment since we know he's not a TE, as the Mackey Award people told us so.

Also congratulations to Austin Seferian Jenkins for winning the Mackey Award despite not even making the All Pac-12 first team.

/still salty

There's more to the Mackey Award (and the TE position) than just catching passes!

cdyhybrid

O'Leary had a better year than ASJ as well in this regard (by quite a bit) so that clearly must have been behind their reasoning.

Nah, ASJ was a monster blocker for us this year. Sankey got a lot of yards behind him.

There's also more to making the All Big XII team and All American team than just catching passes.

Nonsense, you don't get stats for blocking, and making those teams is half stats and half name recognition. Amaro is closer to a WR than a TE.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Nebraska had 2 1/2 Championships, because of that pesky Michigan and that Rose Bowl of theirs, and 2 years of those 3, played the #3 team, not the #2 team (at least the BCS came along and forced the B1G/PAC teams out of the Rose Bowl lock, and made them played ball with the rest of us)

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Nonsense, you don't get stats for blocking, and making those teams is half stats and half name recognition. Amaro is closer to a WR than a TE.

So I guess the Mackey committee alone knows the truth that every other committee for the All American and All Conference awards he's won as a TE since high school doesn't?

My problem isn't with ASJ, it's with the Mackey committee. Their criteria is archaic and their members are sticking their head in the sand as to the changing nature of the TE position. Amaro was a fantastic blocker this year but because his hand isn't on the ground when the ball is snapped they essentially disqualify him completely.

Don't care to keep going round and round on this again, though.

One of the Longhorns players seems to be bitter over his 2nd team selection

Donald Hawkins ‏@That_Boi_Dhawk 30m
I never made Second Team in anything in my life! The Big 12 is a joke!

such hubris
much entitlement
mack brown football
wow

squicken

BbPArBOCAAA3BDt.jpg

Saban in Beaumont, TX on a recruiting trip today

Lonestar

Probably looking at Tony Brown. Texas and Alabama are both fighting for him. Same team Saban!

Andrew Gribble ?@Andrew_Gribble 7m RT @TheMikeHerndon Talked to Marlon Humphrey today. Not only will Bama let him run track, they've shown him a plan for doing both sports.

Similar story from Brown's camp, and he was impressed with the pitch.

Jhriad

Nebraska had 2 1/2 Championships, because of that pesky Michigan and that Rose Bowl of theirs, and 2 years of those 3, played the #3 team, not the #2 team (at least the BCS came along and forced the B1G/PAC teams out of the Rose Bowl lock, and made them played ball with the rest of us)

Yeah, I definitely look down on Nebraska (#2 in the polls) now after realizing they drubbed #3 Tennessee (who won the title the next year) with Payton Manning at the helm while Michigan barely squeaked by #8 Washington State and Ryan Leaf. For shame Huskers, how dare we refer to that stretch as "Great."

Did you copy paste that from a Rivals/Scout forum Lonestar?

andycapps

I've been in depositions all day. Is Saban the coach of Texas, yet?

Depends on your definition. Will be hilarious if Mack Brown is forced out/resigns with the Texas BOR thinking that they're getting Saban, only for Saban to get another pay raise out of Bama and Texas to have to go on an embarrassing coaching search.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Ok I know where you are.

1.Corky's: On poplar which is one of the BBQ places. A lot of people like it but I think is somewhat overrated near there and if you are going to get BBQ I would go somewhere else.
2. Gus's Fried Chicken: Probably the best local fried chicken is kind of close. Would have to drive down poplar a little ways to get to it but is worth it. On Mendenhall
3. Las Delicias: On Quince. A good taco place
4. Brooklyn Bridge: Pretty good Italian place on poplar towards Germantown
5. Memphis Pizza Cafe: Hippie pizza place. On Park.
6. Hog and Hominy. Has weird pizzas and some other food. Also has a back patio with a completely different menu. Really good and recently written up in the New York times.

I would go to Gus's or Hog and Hominy. Google maps says each is like 3 miles from that Target.
Went to Gus's last night. Fantastic suggestion! I'm trying to decide between Las Delicias and Hog and Hominy for tonight.

Lonestar

Yeah, I definitely look down on Nebraska (#2 in the polls) now after realizing they drubbed #3 Tennessee (who won the title the next year) with Payton Manning at the helm while Michigan barely squeaked by #8 Washington State and Ryan Leaf. For shame Huskers, how dare we refer to that stretch as "Great."

Did you copy paste that from a Rivals/Scout forum Lonestar?

no, I looked to see that the final AP poll voted for Michigan #1, and as I've never had an AP vote, I couldn't have done anything to change it.

Also, Nick Saban doesn't have 4 titles. He has 3.5 titles, cause hey, USC had a Two Pete*.

and Peyton Manning never won a College Title.

Depends on your definition. Will be hilarious if Mack Brown is forced out/resigns with the Texas BOR thinking that they're getting Saban, only for Saban to get another pay raise out of Bama and Texas to have to go on an embarrassing coaching search.

What's his face from that 9.95 site was on SVP & Russillo and was trotting out names like Urban Meyer, Jim Harbaugh, Mike Tomlin, among others. Good luck with that, Texas.

Lonestar

"Setback" for Cade Foster: missing multiple FGs to cost your team a shot at the national title.

"Setback" for Dubya: starting an unjustified war based on doctored intelligence.

Well, we had our Pearl Harbour back in 2007, was this 9/11?

Or did we already have our 9/11? Or did they happen on the same day. Is this 9/11 x 100?

Flights to Arizona are getting ludicrous. Spiking upwards everyday. Won't spend less than at least 6-700 flying out of Orlando now. Have to finalize a few things before I can book and will now for sure have to resort to trying to fly out of Tampa, Ft Lauderdale or Jacksonville.

The logistics of this trip are a nightmare.... Seems a lot of people have accepted going. But they're getting stuck on the logistical issues.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
The point I was mainly focusing on was that in college sports the advantage is always to the winners. They are going to get the best players as opposed to pro sports where it is usually the losers that get to draft first. So one successful run in college football can lead to a better incoming class and then it just builds from there. I will agree the basketball is different. With the rules in place currently if you get a great class they are gone in a year and you might not get anything from it and the NBA definitely has had parity problems although right now it isn't too bad if you accept that the eastern conference is just a 97 game playoff between Indiana and Miami.

I honestly don't think coaches leave the pros for college because they are scared of a challenge, that was my issue with the original comment. Each job has its own unique circumstances, each level has their royalties, their moribund proletariat and some exceptions that are able to buck the trend. I think if you are scared of a challenge, you are probably a shitty coach and will be managing a fast foot restaurant before long.
I think the difference between an NFL coach and a college coach is control, and sharing power. Its a must on the pro level, but on the college level, the buck stops with the head coach.

cashman

Banned
In regards to the Harbaugh Tomlin and Meyer rumors, I've heard from the 9.95 that as far as those guys are concerned they are the back up plans if they UT can't swing Saban or Belicheck. Odds are it's likely going to be one of those 5 guys.

In regards to the Harbaugh Tomlin and Meyer rumors, I've heard from the 9.95 that as far as those guys are concerned they are the back up plans if they UT can't swing Saban or Belicheck. Odds are it's likely going to be one of those 5 guys.

I'm not sure they'll have to dip down the list far enough to settle for Belichick, because I don't think Kiffins says no.

I love this honest quote from your 2013 THE Home Depot Coach of the Year, Gustav Malzahn III:

"I don't know if I've ever had a team come as far as we have," Malzahn said after the Tigers officially received their BCS invitation. "The very first game, we were an average-at-best team. We were a work in progress probably the first half of the season."

It really is like watching a completely different team. Earlier in the season, there was much more variety but much worse execution. They threw the ball more often, played more guys, and tried more gimmicks. As the season went on, Malzahn honed in on what worked and just executed the hell out of it. Reminds me of 2010, which also had a slow start and a very strong finish.

squicken

"It's gonna be good."

Seriously? If that doesn't scream publicity stunt, I don't know what does.

The source of the quote is from "the family", which is pretty nebulous. It won't be hard for her to throw some pretty sound punches at the police and state attorneys for their actions, even if they say nothing about Winston

Nah, ASJ was a monster blocker for us this year. Sankey got a lot of yards behind him.

Amaro is basically a TE in name only like Jimmy Graham.

Top Bottom