• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB Week 11: the SEC may have a baby dick, but everyone else still has penis envy

Status
Not open for further replies.

lush

bqWMWFf.jpg

This basically comes down to the same perception problems. If all the teams in your conference are highly ranked, then a loss to one of them doesn't count as choking.

Ask yourself for instance why Oregon losing to Arizona was viewed as choking, Alabama losing to Ole Miss was not.

Alabama's loss to Ole Miss was not called choking because Ole Miss was ranked #11 at the time, despite their best win coming against a mediocre Boise State team and having struggled into the 4th quarter with Memphis the week before. Is that resume really any better than Arizona's was prior to beating Oregon? Yet Arizona was unranked.

Let me respond:

SECSECSEC.

Boom! Owned!

I didn't see the 07 game but PAC-12 is THE chokers league.

I have lost money betting on PAC-12 matches than any other conference. That's why I don't rate it so highly and their teams as well, they continually seem to lose the ones that they shouldn't.

SEC upset=tough conference
Pac 12 upset=chokers

ok

reKon

Banned
Recommended pizza in East Lansing:

Georgio's (get the potato pizza)
Goomba's (Pokee Stix are a must)
Pizza House
Cottage Inn

Um no to Geogios. I'd rather get Hungry Howie's over that

Edit: you guys like that place?? The first time I went there, the pizza was shit. You could tell that it was standing out for a while staying heated. I went to the one that's east on grand river.

DopeToast

Banned
So pumped for my Buckeyes this weekend. It's going to be a tough one, and I'm worried about Barrett on the road, but maybe they can pull it out. Maybe? And even then, the winner of this one is still gonna have a hell of a time getting into the playoff.

Enron

Banned
Can't believe Georgia Clempsoned this week. I mean, I can because I always expect the worst, so it wasn't that shocking.. But still, Florida is horrible.. And we played like dogshit. After falling flat on our face, I fully expect us to dominate Kentucky and then Auburn the next week. That's the Georgia way. Dominate the games that are worth getting up for, and then fall flat on your face and get outcoached and outplayed in a loss to an inferior opponent.

I am expecting a close game against Kentucky, win or loss, and then get the doors blown off us by Auburn.

This team really just isn't very good, nor are we well coached. We haven't beat anyone impressive, lost to a terrible south carolina team and a terrible florida team. Even with Gurley, Auburn is going to beat us by two TDs at least. The Ga Tech game is going to be a challenge too. There's a real chance this team will finish the season with 5 losses.

Kyle Flood will be the head coach next year.

Julie Hermann talks a tough game, but I do not think she is capable of making tough decisions.

Our AD is a mess in most sports and she has yet to forcibly remove a coach from their position in the year and a half she's been on the job.

Draxal

Kyle Flood will be the head coach next year.

Julie Hermann talks a tough game, but I wonder if she has what it takes to make tough decisions.

Our AD is a mess in most sports and she has yet to forcibly remove a coach from their position in the year and a half she's been on the job.

Think she'll probably fire the volleyball coach soon enough because that'll be her pet project, the other sports aren't really funded at all so can't blame them for not performing that well. I'd rather improve the facilities in those sports than fire any coach.

Football's the sport that we need to fix.

andycapps

I am expecting a close game against Kentucky, win or loss, and then get the doors blown off us by Auburn.

This team really just isn't very good, nor are we well coached. We haven't beat anyone impressive, lost to a terrible south carolina team and a terrible florida team. Even with Gurley, Auburn is going to beat us by two TDs at least. The Ga Tech game is going to be a challenge too. There's a real chance this team will finish the season with 5 losses.

We got beaten by two terrible teams, and we blanked Missouri, who beat Florida 42-13. I don't think it's a question of whether we're very good, we definitely got out coached and out played on Saturday. What we saw on Saturday was not the same team as the one we saw against Mizzou and Arkansas. Whether we see that same team against Kentucky or Auburn is the question. If the same team shows up that played on Saturday then we lose the rest of our games, Florida is that bad. If they show up with some pride and want to still have a chance at winning the division, then they're all winnable.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Longhorn writer Geoff Ketchum has been suspended from Orangebloods.com (a Rivals site that he owns) after posting this tweet after Ole Miss lost -

I think the word he was looking for was "integrated" but I think everybody picked up on his general point.

Think she'll probably fire the volleyball coach soon enough because that'll be her pet project, the other sports aren't really funded at all so can't blame them for not performing that well. I'd rather improve the facilities in those sports than fire any coach.

Football's the sport that we need to fix.

You should be smarter than to buy the facilities excuse.

Draxal

You should be smarter than to buy the facilities excuse.

We do have underperforming coaches that need to be axed, but I don't give a shit about those sports. Any worthwhile coach would ignore going to Rutgers because our facilities are subpar for those sports.

Draxal

I remember thinking he wouldn't have a long career after Spurrier kept running him 40 times a game as a true freshman. That shit was irresponsible.

Ayup, and why I thought it was funny Spurrier was calling out Clowney for protecting his pro career potential.

JCX

Not sure what it is now, but when I was in EL you couldn't beat $0.89/slice at Bell's on those late nights! Shitty, cheap pizza to satiate a growling stomach.

Also, I'm not sure if the reason behind me posting EL pizza recommendations was obvious or not. :p

Ha forgot about that.

Um no to Geogios. I'd rather get Hungry Howie's over that

Edit: you guys like that place?? The first time I went there, the pizza was shit. You could tell that it was standing out for a while staying heated. I went to the one that's east on grand river.

The Grand River one isn't as good as the one on Charles. You probably just went on a slow day. My mouth is watering just thinking about getting a slice on Saturday.

KingGondo

Banned
Can't believe Georgia Clempsoned this week. I mean, I can because I always expect the worst, so it wasn't that shocking.. But still, Florida is horrible.. And we played like dogshit. After falling flat on our face, I fully expect us to dominate Kentucky and then Auburn the next week. That's the Georgia way. Dominate the games that are worth getting up for, and then fall flat on your face and get outcoached and outplayed in a loss to an inferior opponent.

All that said, honestly, with what has happened in our family this year, I can't get that upset about football at this point. While I enjoy watching it, it's just a game.
That's the perspective I'm trying to take this season.

Hopefully we'll turn it around as expected next year. We're still supposedly the youngest team in any BCS conference, so a big leap should be expected next year.

Also, thankfully our schedule isn't nearly as brutal in 2015.

And hey, no matter what happens at least we're not Tech.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!

Hopefully we'll turn it around as expected next year. We're still supposedly the youngest team in any BCS conference, so a big leap should be expected next year.

But you try your damndest to be!

andycapps

This is true. We have our share of being a young team too. Our defense has real holes at secondary and DL. We'd heard defensive coaches complaining about in the preseason that there were no "stars" on the DL or the secondary. There's a ceiling you can hit with guys that just aren't that talented (relatively speaking). There are some really good players coming in the offseason that will give some good depth and a few will probably start right away because they're that good.

We lose Gurley this year and possibly Leonard Floyd. But, next year it's the Brice Ramsey show until Eason comes in 2016 (that class is going to be a monster), so our QB play should be improved. We lose Michael Bennett and Conley. They've been really reliable, and their production will be missed. Mitchell may be back, I don't see why he'd try to go pro after this year. We'll lose our center (who got injured during the game Saturday), and possibly our RT and LT. Theus could come back for his senior year, I would. Kolton Houston is applying for another year of eligibility due to the fiasco with his NCAA eligibility a couple years ago.

All that said, we should have still destroyed Florida. Is what it is though. This rivalry has often had the worse team pull out a win.

We do have underperforming coaches that need to be axed, but I don't give a shit about those sports. Any worthwhile coach would ignore going to Rutgers because our facilities are subpar for those sports.

Julie Hermann said she wanted all sports to be accountable. In that case, she should be holding those sports accountable.

Our results in these sports are so abysmal that I don't think you can lean on the facilities excuse. These sports were abysmal in our old conference with teams that had worse facilities than our facilities. If I believed Julie had guts, she would have gutted a lot of these coaches based on their ineptitude in the AAC, let alone the B1G.

An interesting take on why there should be an 8 team playoff:

For the last ten years, I went back and looked at the number of Power 5 conference teams finishing the regular season (including conference championship games, but excluding bowl season) with 0 or 1 loss. For the purposes of this exercise I only considered teams from the Big 12, SEC, ACC, and Pac 12. Old Big East teams finishing with 1 or 0 losses were not counted. I counted Notre Dame in 2012 as one of the teams finishing with 0/1 loss.

Here we go, by year:

2013: 6 (would've been 7 if I counted Louisville, but Louisville was in the AAC last year)
2012: 5 (4 if you exclude Notre Dame)
2011: 4
2010: 7
2009: 4
2008: 3
2007: 2
2006: 4
2005: 5
2004: 5

Put into a historical perspective, in most years there are 4 or more power 5 teams finishing with 1 or fewer losses (8 out of the last 10 years). In 2 out of the last 10 years there have been 6 or more 0/1 loss teams. There's been 3 out of the last 10 years where there have been exactly 4 0/1 loss teams.

For all the talk of "there's a lot of football to be played," it looks fairly unusual for there to be fewer than four 0/1 loss power 5 teams at the end of the season -- 2007 (when a 2 loss LSU team made the championship) and 2008 are the notable exceptions.

KingGondo

Banned
CFB would immediately become the best sport ever if it did these things:

1) Required all Power 5 conference schools to only schedule among each other for OOC games (you'd see lots of old rivalries pick back up, like UT-Aggy, KU-Mizzou, OU-Nebraska, Pitt-WVU, plus it would be a lot easier to tell who's legit and who isn't)
2) Instituted an 8-team playoff
3) Used campus sites for every playoff game except the championship

Monroeski said:
At least we're not Kansas.
I have to say, I was quite surprised by the result on Saturday.

On the bright side, our game against UT in a couple weeks is a toss-up in Vegas.

On the other hand, we're underdogs by more than 20 in our final games @ Baylor and @ OU. I mean, I expect to lose to OU every year (especially in Norman) but losing to Baylor fucking sucks.

Gondo has been extra salty against Tech this season for some reason. Not sure why a down season for them is translating into extra hate against us but it is what it is.
Eh, I always reserve extra salt for Tech (see mine and Pristine's clashes a few years back). They've been arguably our best rival besides OU during the Big 12 era.

I get the impression Tech hates us a lot too.

Then again, I hate us right now. People on Orange Power calling for Gundy to be fired. Complaining about the offensive line then saying it's time to start our freshman QB Rudolph. Fucking morons.

CFB would immediately become the best sport ever if it did these things:

1) Required all Power 5 conference schools to only schedule among each other for OOC games (you'd see lots of old rivalries pick back up, like UT-Aggy, KU-Mizzou, OU-Nebraska, Pitt-WVU, plus it would be a lot easier to tell who's legit and who isn't)

I'm all for better games, but that is one massive middle finger to CUSA, the Mountain West, MACtion, etc.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Eh, I always reserve extra salt for Tech (see mine and Pristine's clashes a few years back).

I consider clashes with Pristine to be more about clashing with Pristine than clashing about the schools. ; )

Then again, I hate us right now. People on Orange Power calling for Gundy to be fired. Complaining about the offensive line then saying it's time to start our freshman QB Rudolph. Fucking morons.

I think more Tech fans than would be expected are being level headed about our team this season but there are still plenty of the "FIRE THE COACH A YEAR AND A HALF INTO HIS TENURE" types around as well.

As I've mentioned in here before, it wasn't hard to guess that we could be in for a very long season even before the season started so I'm not in the "sky is falling" group even with the season turning out much worse than expected. Our 2014 recruiting class included something like 8 DBs in it due to lack of talent on the current roster (all but 2 of which have played, I believe) and an entire DL class of JUCOs because we lacked in talent AND numbers. Somehow even given that I think I like our defense right now more than I like our offense, even before Webb went down; that sounds strange to say given the 82 we gave up to TCU and the 21 point loss we just took to a terrible offense in Texas, but thus far all season our offense has shown that it likes to do nothing and it likes to do that nothing very quickly, leaving our D out for far too long and eventually they just wear down due to lack of depth (a few players were in for over 100 snaps against WVU). We had one QB on the entire roster after spring practice (including walk-ons) and he's been playing hurt all season; we ran out of scholarship players at QB in the 2nd quarter against Texas. We have only two WRs on the roster that are taller than 6'0", and one of them is redshirting, so our red zone offense is basically non-existent. A few games ago we threw a red zone fade to a guy that is 5'6".

We're still packing the house for home games, though, which is a pretty big advantage for recruiting. Several recruits and commits have made specific comments about how whatever loss they saw didn't matter as much as the fact that we are having our worst season in 20+ years but still have great fan support. I look for our 2015 WR class to look a lot like our 2014 DB class; lots of numbers (though not quite as many) and lots of guys playing immediately.

I have no idea what's going on at LB, though. We're graduating over half of our starters this season and the entire rest of the 2-deep are juniors, yet we only have a single LB committed right now.

Alabama's ok with sticking with Blake Barnett, as we apparently are starting to move towards the Dual Threat guys.

DT is the way to go. I don't think the 6'7" 5* Pocket Passer we signed will play a meaningful snap for Texas. Feel free to save this prediction and bump it for future ridicule when he wins a heisman in 4 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom