• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB Week 11: the SEC may have a baby dick, but everyone else still has penis envy

Status
Not open for further replies.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
You got beat by a Publix bag boy, Jawga! A fucking bag boy!

IbjC01r.jpg
Fear him, Jameis. Fear him.

Enron

Banned
Gumby's in Athens closed as well. I used to like their pizza alright. There's tons of better options there though.

Fuck the Athens Gumbys. Their pizza came right out of you in liquid form about 3 or 4 hours later.

When I was a freshman living at Player's Club over on Riverbend Parkway, I once had a Gumby's driver show up like 3 hours late. When we refused to recieve the pizza and sent him on his way, he fucking dumped it on our steps.

Assanova

Ah, Gumby's. I remember walking there on late nights to get my $5 large pizza. I think they changed the name of the one in Columbus to The Pizza Joint after I moved away from campus.

Enron

Banned
still disappointed with the team that showed up against Florida. They played terrible. I think its a season defining game coming up. If they fall apart completely I see us being 7-5. If they man up then 10-2/9-3 is a possibility.

We are not a very good football team. KY and GT are going to be tight.

If you are playing even with KY and GT you probably aren't very good.

I am expecting 2, maybe 3 losses to close out the year.

JCX

you guys are insanely myopic with the suggestion that only power 5 conferences deserve a shot at the title. It was, after all Utah that beat Alabama, Boise State that beat Oklahoma,and TCU beat Wisconsin in the Rose Bowl to really make that point clear. Mid majors have every right to be there as anybody from so-called power conferences do. Until there is a legitimate playoff in college football it is unreasonable to shut out anybody for any reason, barring an insanely soft schedule as in the case of Marshall this year or Hawaii a few years ago. it is for this reason that I say the bowls should be done away with and a true playoff should be put into effect.

but then again, you guys don't really want to know who the best team is only who the idea of who the best team is. It is for this reason that SEC teams can pull top 25 rankings even with losing schedules or multiple bad losses as in Florida at number 16 in the Sargarin rankings, Mizzou at 26 with a loss to B1G pouncing bag, indiana, or Georgia who hasn't beat anybody and has been beaten by South Carolina and Florida still getting a top 25 ranking.

Speaking for myself, I want two things

1) P5 conferences to have:

9 game conference schedule,
1 OOC from a MAC-tier conference
2 OOC with other P5 conferences

2) 8 Team playoff, no automatic bids for any conference. No rankings until halfway through the season. This still allows Boise State cinderella stories.

Unfortunately, the above is fairly unrealistic unless the P5 secede from the NCAA.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Speaking for myself, I want two things

1) P5 conferences to have:

9 game conference schedule,
1 OOC from a MAC-tier conference
2 OOC with other P5 conferences

2) 8 Team playoff, no automatic bids for any conference. No rankings until halfway through the season. This still allows Boise State cinderella stories.

Unfortunately, the above is fairly unrealistic unless the P5 secede from the NCAA.

I am extremely supportive of everything you said. My additions and commentary:

-No more scheduled FCS games, ever. Anyone that does should almost receive downvotes and be removed from playoff consideration.

-9 game conference schedule is an absolute must. Play every team in your conference at least once every three years.

-MAC-tier is almost as good as saying FCS schools at this point. I think on a whole, the MWC and AAC has much better teams than essentially all MAC teams usually every year. If the MAC decides to keep not competing, than these games should be seen as scheduling bona fide cupcakes (like the SEC does every year in November)

-Love the 8 team playoff idea with no automatic play-ins. That allows for both overrepresenting the SEC, as will assuredly happen until the conference comes back down to Earth, and allows for teams on a huge run, like the aforementioned Boise St, Utah, Northern Illinois, and even teams like Marshall, should they "earn it."

-Pre-season or early-season rankings ruin the league. It causes SEVERE imbalances in perception. For example, had there not been any rankings up until last week, nobody would have called wins over South Carolina, Texas A&M, Florida, Mizzou, Stanford, Miami, Louisville, Texas, Oklahoma St, or Texas Tech "QUALITY," but a lot of teams were getting boosted like crazy for beating up early in the season on what ended up being bad or extremely uneven teams at best.

-2 OOC P5 games would be incredible, and something that it looked like the PAC-12 and B1G were heading towards, but everything got screwed up with conference realignments, acquisitions, and so on. Here's hoping they revisit this in the future.

Lunar15

Yo, we talkin' about Pokey Sticks? I miss that shit.

You know what I don't miss about Gainesville? Five Star Pizza. That pizza was so greasy you had to flip the box first so that some of the grease would come off on the box top. We called it the Five Star Flip. But that place was open until ungodly hours of the night, so we got that an embarassingly large amount of times.

Enfinit

Yo, we talkin' about Pokey Sticks? I miss that shit.

You know what I don't miss about Gainesville? Five Star Pizza. That pizza was so greasy you had to flip the box first so that some of the grease would come off on the box top. We called it the Five Star Flip. But that place was open until ungodly hours of the night, so we got that an embarassingly large amount of times.

Five Star Pizza is the worst fucking pizza I've ever had in my entire life.

andycapps

still disappointed with the team that showed up against Florida. They played terrible. I think its a season defining game coming up. If they fall apart completely I see us being 7-5. If they man up then 10-2/9-3 is a possibility.

Yeah I hear this and agree.

We are not a very good football team. KY and GT are going to be tight.

If you are playing even with KY and GT you probably aren't very good.

I am expecting 2, maybe 3 losses to close out the year.

Whenever I feel like I'm pessimistic I see your posts and realize I have a long way to go. Haha

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
According to their website, all of the remaining locations are in college towns. Has their business model always relied on feeding hungover/drunk college students or are those just the remaining locations that happen to be in college towns?

AFAIK that has always been their business model.

At least in my lifetime.

The only ones I have ever found are on a campus and they are all open until like 3-3:30 in the morning.

I'm not sure what caused them to go under exactly because it sounds like a solid business plan. Pizza Classics in Austin also shut down and they were the same business model.

Also, Pokey Sticks FTW!

StoOgE

So, Texas has basically every 4 and 5 star target all on campus to watch us lose to WVU.

We have a decent class so far, but need to lock down some WR, linemen and a few LBs to really shore up the class.

I think we are going to start picking off defensive recruits from A&M pretty easily given the fact that we are showing massive improvement with what had been a defense ranked in the 100s last year.

I still think Charlie can be the guy, but we have to lock down a top 15 recruiting class and not kick them all off the team.

So, Texas has basically every 4 and 5 star target all on campus to watch us lose to WVU.

We have a decent class so far, but need to lock down some WR, linemen and a few LBs to really shore up the class.

I think we are going to start picking off defensive recruits from A&M pretty easily given the fact that we are showing massive improvement with what had been a defense ranked in the 100s last year.

I still think Charlie can be the guy, but we have to lock down a top 15 recruiting class and not kick them all off the team.
He's lowered the standards. You can't get much lower than Respect Women, No Guns, No Drugs, No stealing, as core values. Even Walmart has higher standards than that.

At least this thread showed me the existance of Gumby's Pizza. Unreal.

Testing my new phone's camera at the Stanford game. Choose 1080 60fps if you have Chrome and a good computer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n25GQnAzG9A

Unfortunately was too busy yellin' timmbeerrrr during the actual game.

Real nice video and SWEET seats. I haven't had a seat like that since high school, when my best friend's grandpa was a state senator and we bummed his seats for the the 1996 FSU season.

At least this thread showed me the existance of Gumby's Pizza.

I couldn't believe the one on Tennessee St. in Tallahassee is still open. That thing seemed barely alive 20 years ago. Hungry Howie's is so much better gutter pizza. And if you were drunk after the bars started to close that's what Zaxby's is for.

mre

ULM had one job, and that was to get those sweet sweet Aggy tears in meltdown.
Sometimes I think they should branch out and include comments from teams who barely beat teams they should have pounded. I read the TAMU board at TigerDroppings and there were some pretty sweet melts by Aggies there lamenting how they only beat ULM by 5. At Home. In the House that Johnny Built.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Tech has had a lot of big recruits on campus to watch us lose to WVU and UT, plus some of the same guys were in Fort Worth to watch us lose to TCU, and our recruiting hasn't really slowed down at all. The best thing that can happen for you is for the crowd to be big and really into the game.

I think I've mentioned it before but wins and losses don't matter as much to recruits as fans think they do, especially in UT's or Tech's cases with new coaches and needing to reform old systems (because "we'll win when I get there"). Lots of fan support (or lack of fan support) at the game will mean a lot more than the final score.

jjasper

FYI: COD is actually surprisingly good. Takes some time to get used to dashing and stuff but once you kind of get a hang of it plus your abilities it really fun. And this is coming from someone who usually thinks COD is trash (outside of MW1 and Black ops 2).

mre

FYI: COD is actually surprisingly good.
How long is the single player campaign? I don't really spend much time on multiplayer, so if the SP is only 10 hours or so it's hard to justify a full $60 purchase.

Tamanon

Banned
How long is the single player campaign? I don't really spend much time on multiplayer, so if the SP is only 10 hours or so it's hard to justify a full $60 purchase.

I've been hearing anywhere from 6 to 8 hours, so yeah, not for you if you don't play MP. I haven't touched single player yet.

jjasper

Yeah I don't know much about the SP. They are usually all dumb mindless 7-8 hr affairs though so I wouldn't get it for that. Far Cry 4 looks like it will be the go to SP shooter this year.

StoOgE

Sometimes I think they should branch out and include comments from teams who barely beat teams they should have pounded. I read the TAMU board at TigerDroppings and there were some pretty sweet melts by Aggies there lamenting how they only beat ULM by 5. At Home. In the House that Johnny Built.

I agree,

TexAgs was in meltdown.

They went from making up new nicknames for Kyle Allen (KFF seemed to stick being highly original), to calling Sumlin Dumblin. Which is pretty clever by Aggy standards. Because they made the first part of his name something negative while still sounding similar to his real name.

No word on if anyone trade marked any of said nicknames.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
only games this fall/month that I know I'll pick up, are Farcry 4, AC Unity and GTAV on PS4. Sure, I should wait for PC, but man I loved it on last gen, and I want that next gen upgraydes.

Lunar15

It's not going to happen, but I would allow Muschamp one more year if for some unearthly reason we managed to beat Florida State. The irony of it all would be worth that extra year of pain.

It'd probably be worth it just for the "Bag Boy Stops Crab Thief" articles alone.

KingGondo

Banned
Hold on, I thought you were a rich southern lawya?

BertramCooper said:
I know, right?

We should be talking about Bayonetta 2.
Almost done with Bayo 1 and loving it. Although my eyes almost roll out of my head during every cutscene.

Unless COD somehow joined the SEC, you're going to have bump either it or FSU and add Florida. You're under your quota of SEC teams.

CoD is independent like BYU. If conferences could add a game I would think it would be something along the lines of...

Pac12- Red Dead Redemption (PS3)
Big 12- Mario Kart 8 (WIU)
ACC- Wheel of Fortune (PS2)
SEC- Nascar '14 (360)
B1G- Farming-Simulator (PS3)

StoOgE

Prior to Saturday's game, even the people that knew Vinny Testaverde's son was a QB for Tech had no real idea how a player that went to high school in Florida, and is the son of a Heisman winning CFB Hall of Famer at Miami, ended up walking on at Tech.

Turns out Kingsbury played with the elder Vinny for the New York Jets.

He wasn't totally horrible on short passes.

Deep balls had zero accuracy though.

Why we were giving him no pass rush and his receivers a 10 yard cushion I do not know. Way to rattle the walk-on guys.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
He wasn't totally horrible on short passes.

Deep balls had zero accuracy though.

Why we were giving him no pass rush and his receivers a 10 yard cushion I do not know. Way to rattle the walk-on guys.

Played about as well as you would expect the next guy up to play when your team runs out of scholarship quarterbacks. Offense was definitely toned down a bit for him, I think, but for the most part when he was missing receivers he was missing them where you want to miss them (ex. out of bounds where they won't be picked off, over everybody's head so they won't be picked off, etc.).

It's possible (even likely) that we'll never see him play again past maybe the next game or two, but he's been getting a pretty good amount of praise for his performance. A lot of guys thrown into the position he was thrown into, with his experience, would have melted down but he was very poised. This his only his third year of playing football.

I'd say Big 10 is closer to something like superman 64.

If we're going that far back for games then I think the SEC is clearly Redneck Rampage.

cdyhybrid

Tech has had a lot of big recruits on campus to watch us lose to WVU and UT, plus some of the same guys were in Fort Worth to watch us lose to TCU, and our recruiting hasn't really slowed down at all. The best thing that can happen for you is for the crowd to be big and really into the game.

I think I've mentioned it before but wins and losses don't matter as much to recruits as fans think they do, especially in UT's or Tech's cases with new coaches and needing to reform old systems (because "we'll win when I get there"). Lots of fan support (or lack of fan support) at the game will mean a lot more than the final score.

Yep, losing the game just makes the recruit think they'll be able to get early PT :jnc

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Yep, losing the game just makes the recruit think they'll be able to get early PT :jnc

Pretty much. One DL recruit was quoted as saying "Coach was telling me that I could come in and play right away. That is their number one pitch to me right now. I hear that from other coaching staffs too, but after watching them play in person the opportunity is a lot more real to me." :jnc

Really, though, it's not just about "you can play right away," it's about being able to show that you will be able to turn things around and give some valid reasons why they look like they do right now. In Tech's case, for the defense they can point to an incredibly young secondary (true sophomore and true freshman starting at CB spots, with two other true freshman starting or getting significant time at other points in the year), essentially no depth to work with at DL (hence signing 4 JUCOs in this last class), and something like 6 DCs in 6 seasons. For the offense they can point to injuries and youth at QB and a lack of outside WR playmakers (particularly with regard to height, and it's not a coincidence that practically all our WR recruits are 6'1" or taller). It's not just about "we suck and you can help us," it's about "we suck, this is exactly why, this is our plan to fix it, and this is why you coming here will help with that."

Also, as I've mentioned before, attendance is REALLY working in Tech's favor right now. If we can get 58,000 fans for WVU and almost 61,000 fans for UT during our worst season in over two decades, we can present to recruits the fact that we do have a lot of support and the means with which to get change done.

These are more or less all things Texas can point to this season as well. I don't know what their attendance figures have been like, but they can present that the offense isn't bad just because the offense is bad, it's bad because of lack of QB depth, lack of OL depth, etc. It's not at the Muschamp stage of "this guy's offenses are just terrible, period" yet, or the Hoke stage of "the few fans that do show up are protesting" yet, to provide a contrast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom