• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB Week 11: the SEC may have a baby dick, but everyone else still has penis envy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ayup, and why I thought it was funny Spurrier was calling out Clowney for protecting his pro career potential.

As a Freshman Lattimore was second in the SEC with 249 carries or just over 19 a game. He never played a full season again. As a sophomore he was 9th in the conference with 163 attempts in just 7 games, or about 23 carries per game.

As a Freshman Lattimore logged games with 30, 40, 37 and 29 carries. The 30 carry game came in his THIRD college game. As a sophomore he only eclipsed 30 once when Spurrier ran him for 37 times against Navy, then again he didn't play the entire season so Spurrier had fewer chances to run him into the ground.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
DT is the way to go. I don't think the 6'7" 5* Pocket Passer we signed will play a meaningful snap for Texas. Feel free to save this prediction and bump it for future ridicule when he wins a heisman in 4 years.

Still believe (and hope) that whoever we get, is still more of a passer than a runner. One bad hit or twist on a run, can ruin a season, and a Run first system like Auburn's just invites more chances.

Sims has about the right sort of pass/run numbers I'd want. 25 to 5.

Lonestar

As a Freshman Lattimore was second in the SEC with 249 carries or just over 19 a game. He never played a full season again. As a sophomore he was 9th in the conference with 163 attempts in just 7 games, or about 23 carries per game.

As a Freshman Lattimore logged games with 30, 40, 37 and 29 carries. The 30 carry game came in his THIRD college game. As a sophomore he only eclipsed 30 once when Spurrier ran him for 37 times against Navy, then again he didn't play the entire season so Spurrier had fewer chances to run him into the ground.

Since Saban's been there, only Richardson's 2011 season have we had a RB average over 20 carries a game (21.77) with 2 games over 30 carries. Ingram's Heisman year he averaged 19 carries, and never had a game over 30 carries in his career. Yeldon, Lacy and Coffee all were in the mid teen's their entire career. I believe Richardson's two 30 carry games are the only ones Saban's had here.

Richardson's career attempts a game average is 14.1 (38 games) to Lattimore's 19.1 (29 games).

Beside's Coffee's strange retirement, only Richardson has failed to live up to the hype (I still think NO wasted Ingram in a bad system, both run blocking and "by Committee"). So perhaps Richardson was ran into the ground too (but it seems more like his bad running vision was made obvious in the faster NFL game.)

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Just saw this -

ec

Since Saban's been there, only Richardson's 2011 season have we had a RB average over 20 carries a game (21.77) with 2 games over 30 carries. Ingram's Heisman year he averaged 19 carries, and never had a game over 30 carries in his career. Yeldon, Lacy and Coffee all were in the mid teen's their entire career. I believe Richardson's two 30 carry games are the only ones Saban's had here.

Richardson's career attempts a game average is 14.1 (38 games) to Lattimore's 19.1 (29 games).

Beside's Coffee's strange retirement, only Richardson has failed to live up to the hype (I still think NO wasted Ingram in a bad system, both run blocking and "by Committee"). So perhaps Richardson was ran into the ground too (but it seems more like his bad running vision was made obvious in the faster NFL game.)

Yeah I don't really like judging RBs who played for the Saints the past few years. Their system is awful for running backs. I think both Ingram and Reggie Bush would've done better in different systems.

jjasper

I am not really sure why I did it but I bought call of dooty today if anyone else wants to get shot in the back with hit me up

Also foozeball related. The amount to national and SEC media people making excuses for Arkansas is comical.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
I am not really sure why I did it but I bought call of dooty today if anyone else wants to get shot in the back with hit me up

Also foozeball related. The amount to national and SEC media people making excuses for Arkansas is comical.
What platform?

Sotha_Sil

CFB would immediately become the best sport ever if it did these things:

1) Required all Power 5 conference schools to only schedule among each other for OOC games (you'd see lots of old rivalries pick back up, like UT-Aggy, KU-Mizzou, OU-Nebraska, Pitt-WVU, plus it would be a lot easier to tell who's legit and who isn't)
2) Instituted an 8-team playoff
3) Used campus sites for every playoff game except the championship

I agree, but for point #1 I think you'd have to move up a few of the G5 schools (UCF, ECU, Houston, Boise St, BYU, etc).

I would also say bowl games should be limited to 7-5 teams or better under such a system.

I agree, but for point #1 I think you'd have to move up a few of the G5 schools (UCF, ECU, Houston, Boise St, BYU, etc).

I would also say bowl games should be limited to 7-5 teams or better under such a system.

Notre Dame refuses to join a football conference due to "tradition" and likely never will so I support this. Leave the Domers among the midmajors and independents forever where they belong.

According to their website, all of the remaining locations are in college towns. Has their business model always relied on feeding hungover/drunk college students or are those just the remaining locations that happen to be in college towns?

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Can't believe Georgia Clempsoned this week. I mean, I can because I always expect the worst, so it wasn't that shocking.. But still, Florida is horrible.. And we played like dogshit. After falling flat on our face, I fully expect us to dominate Kentucky and then Auburn the next week. That's the Georgia way. Dominate the games that are worth getting up for, and then fall flat on your face and get outcoached and outplayed in a loss to an inferior opponent.

All that said, honestly, with what has happened in our family this year, I can't get that upset about football at this point. While I enjoy watching it, it's just a game.

Soooooo there's hope for GT and Paul Johnson? I was hoping not.

I was wondering what happened to Gumby's.

Drove past its old location on High Street a couple of months ago and it was gone. In its place was something called "The Pizza Joint."

R.I.P. Pokey stix

KingGondo

Banned

I'd be OK with that, although there isn't much difference between a 6-6 and 7-5 team in reality.

I'd make smaller schools apply for a waiver to prove that they deserve the chance to play the big boys. They'd need to show a good recent record against non-P5 competition, recent conference titles, etc. Until then, you're stuck at the kid's table.

Get rid of all bowls. Short of that, make it so that you have to go 9-3 so a bowl game actually is a reward for success as opposed to a recognition of mediocrity.

Give teams that don't go to the playoffs or a bowl an extra week of spring practice to shut them up a little bit.

Oh, also start the playoffs and bowls at the conclusion of the season, no sitting around for a month before playing.

And forget the G5 schools. Let them crawl (back) down to FCS.

Lonestar

Get rid of all bowls. Short of that, make it so that you have to go 9-3 so a bowl game actually is a reward for success as opposed to a recognition of mediocrity.

Give teams that don't go to the playoffs or a bowl an extra week of spring practice to shut them up a little bit.

Oh, also start the playoffs and bowls at the conclusion of the season, no sitting around for a month before playing.

And forget the G5 schools. Let them crawl (back) down to FCS.

All but this might be possible, but I feel the pushback to the December time is related to schoolwork to be done, laughable as that might be to think about.

All but this might be possible, but I feel the pushback to the December time is related to schoolwork to be done, laughable as that might be to think about.

They're already starting bowls in the week after the CCGs, it's just the unprestigious ones. If they want to argue academics, then shut down those early bowls (which, incidentally, I'd end up doing anyway). But fine, I'll give them an extra week between CCGs and the first week of the playoffs (and the surviving bowls). Anything more? Get out of here.

Edit: Looks like I was mistaken about the early bowls. The first bowl game last year was December 21, which is reasonable. Start the playoffs on or around that date (nearest Saturday). 8 teams, home stadiums. Make it so.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Tech has somehow managed to have the league leaders in rushing yards (Washington) and sacks (Robertson) on its team through 9 games.

How we managed to make opposing teams pass the ball enough to rack up that many sacks is beyond me.
I think most of those sacks were after the DC transition, and our run D is actually a lot better now than at the beginning of the season.

Notre Dame refuses to join a football conference due to "tradition" and likely never will so I support this. Leave the Domers among the midmajors and independents forever where they belong.
You are aware that ND has an agreement with the ACC for this very reason. They were already getting locked out of anything but the best and worst bowl games and if super conferences become a thing they will simply join the ACC.

JCX

CFB would immediately become the best sport ever if it did these things:

1) Required all Power 5 conference schools to only schedule among each other for OOC games (you'd see lots of old rivalries pick back up, like UT-Aggy, KU-Mizzou, OU-Nebraska, Pitt-WVU, plus it would be a lot easier to tell who's legit and who isn't)
2) Instituted an 8-team playoff
3) Used campus sites for every playoff game except the championship

I'm all for better games, but that is one massive middle finger to CUSA, the Mountain West, MACtion, etc.

I like the idea of pairing each Power conference with a local "minor league" of sorts.

1 OOC with minor league
2 OOC with other conferences, and must be from two separate conferences

This reminded me of that almost Big Ten- Pac 12 partnership thing that died.

I like the idea of pairing each Power conference with a local "minor league" of sorts.

1 OOC with minor league

Hmmm, Big Ten as Pac 12's minor league. Makes sense, I guess.

KingGondo

Banned

1 OOC with minor league

That seems fair.

Pac 12 - Mountain West
B1G - MAC
Big 12 - AAC (?)
SEC - Sun Belt
ACC - who gives a fuck

Chris R

Why not just setup tiers while were at it?

Lowest team in the power conference is relegated to div 1.5 and has to win their "new" conference next year to get back into the big leagues.

/s

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Big 12 - AAC (?)
C-USA, maybe? They don't stretch out as far as the AAC does (which goes all the way to New England), you hit the three major recruiting grounds in Texas in Dallas (UNT), Houston (Rice), and San Antonio (UTSA, for south/central Texas combined), and there are even a few schools around WVU so their travel wouldn't suck quite as bad as it does now.

AAC wuold fit better with the ACC, I think.

::edit::
Beaten by Draxal.

Ganhyun

still disappointed with the team that showed up against Florida. They played terrible. I think its a season defining game coming up. If they fall apart completely I see us being 7-5. If they man up then 10-2/9-3 is a possibility.

Sotha_Sil

I'd be OK with that, although there isn't much difference between a 6-6 and 7-5 team in reality.

I'd make smaller schools apply for a waiver to prove that they deserve the chance to play the big boys. They'd need to show a good recent record against non-P5 competition, recent conference titles, etc. Until then, you're stuck at the kid's table.

UCF would certainly pass that test. Since 2010: two conference championships, 28-8 in CUSA/AAC play, 6-1 against other G5, wins over Georgia, Boston College, Penn St, Louisville, Rutgers, Baylor, 3-0 in bowl games, BCS bowl win, three 10-win seasons, finished ranked twice. I imagine ECU, Boise St, and BYU would do well comparatively. If any of those schools had P5 resources, I think they'd be competitive. Some of the "big boys" certainly need to be looked at, too.

I'm uneasy about the talks of creating a new league composed of just P5 schools. I went to UCF for undergrad and LSU for grad school, so I've been able to see things from both perspectives. CFB would certainly be great without FCS and bought gimmie-games, but I don't want to see my alma mater get left behind. It may seem hypocritical that I'd be fine with it if UCF made the cut, but we have invested in the program a lot more than most G5 schools have, and we already have pretty decent attendance (one of the few G5 schools over 40k average). If shit does hit the fan, at least I've got LSU to root for.

Wazzu QB Connor Halliday venting his frustrations after breaking his leg. You can't help but sympathize for the guy. He'll go pro in something other than sports. Coaching perhaps?

Connor+Halliday+on+Twitter%3A+%22%40PappaMeighen+22+years+of+hard+work+I+was+3+god+damn+games+away+from+my+dream+3+freakin+games+away+from+being+drafted+and+living+my+dream%22.jpg

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
you guys are insanely myopic with the suggestion that only power 5 conferences deserve a shot at the title. It was, after all Utah that beat Alabama, Boise State that beat Oklahoma,and TCU beat Wisconsin in the Rose Bowl to really make that point clear. Mid majors have every right to be there as anybody from so-called power conferences do. Until there is a legitimate playoff in college football it is unreasonable to shut out anybody for any reason, barring an insanely soft schedule as in the case of Marshall this year or Hawaii a few years ago. it is for this reason that I say the bowls should be done away with and a true playoff should be put into effect.

but then again, you guys don't really want to know who the best team is only who the idea of who the best team is. It is for this reason that SEC teams can pull top 25 rankings even with losing schedules or multiple bad losses as in Florida at number 16 in the Sargarin rankings, Mizzou at 26 with a loss to B1G pouncing bag, indiana, or Georgia who hasn't beat anybody and has been beaten by South Carolina and Florida still getting a top 25 ranking.

Wazzu QB Connor Halliday venting his frustrations after breaking his leg. You can't help but sympathize for the guy. He'll go pro in something other than sports. Coaching perhaps?

Connor+Halliday+on+Twitter%3A+%22%40PappaMeighen+22+years+of+hard+work+I+was+3+god+damn+games+away+from+my+dream+3+freakin+games+away+from+being+drafted+and+living+my+dream%22.jpg

I really feel for the kid. I read that profile on his relationship with Leach on Grantland last week and you could just feel his frustration with his entire college career come through. I hope he gets healthy and gets some kind of shot to show an NFL team what he has. That poor kid has endured so much.

Nice article from the papers in Washington on his teammates visiting him in the hospital: http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2014/nov/03/halliday-leg-broken-gets-visitors-hospital/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom