• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB Week 15: Championship Week - Cool as Nacho Cheese

Status
Not open for further replies.
Easiest way to decide who gets in out of TCU Baylor and OSU is look at who they lost to. TCU are the only team to lose to a top 6 team so they should be in.

Easiest way to decide who gets in out of the 3 is to look at their best win. Baylor is the only one to beat a top 6 team so they should be in.

wow it was so easy spinning that logic right around

What if we had 'flexible playoff' system?

explain

1) Oregon
2) Alabama
3) FSU
4) Baylor (although it'll probably be TCU)

Ohio State just doesn't have the resume.

1) Worst loss by far of the one loss teams
2) 2 wins against top 25
3) Struggled in at least 3 other games (PSU, Minnesota, Michigan - it was close pretty far in and Michigan stank).

I don't even see how they're part of the conversation. Yes , they destroyed a really good Wisconsin team, but that cannot make up for the rest of the year. And if you look at the B1G, the only significant Out of Conference win was Indiana over Missouri (if you call that signficant)

Otherwise:
1) Ohio State lost their OOC vs Virginia Tech
2) Michigan State lost theirs (Oregon)
3) Wisconsin lost theirs (LSU)
4) Minnesota (TCU)

I commend them for a great season and playing with 3 different QB's, but they aren't worthy

Kevtones

Easiest way to decide who gets in out of the 3 is to look at their best win. Baylor is the only one to beat a top 6 team so they should be in.

explain

a) Give the option of 2-8 teams.
b) Give the decided amount of teams each week. This can go up and down.
c) Each week is a 'this is the playoff if the season ended today'
d) Right now: 6 teams, very clear
6 teams is on the high-end of things too.

Mrbob

I do believe all this discussion does show a four team playoff is not enough. Would probably be best to extend the playoffs to 8 teams. Of course a school which is close to the top 8 but doesn't get in will feel jilted; but with 8 teams I think we can safely include all the top deserving teams into the CFB.

Gobias

Banned
1) Oregon
2) Alabama
3) FSU

Why do people keep saying this while ignoring TCU and Bayor's "resume"

TCU is going to have one win against a top 25 team and it's against a 3 loss KSU team.
Baylor is going to have 2 with a loss against a mediocre WVU. It kind of blows my mind how TCU is ranked above them for no real reason besides a marginally better SOS, although Ohio State's is better than both.

Kacar

If its OSU vs whichever B12 team they think is better here's how I see it.

Vs TCU. Much better loss. Less quality/impressive wins. But they have been higher all year. Both faced minnesota TCU won by 23 at home, OSU by 7 on road in ugly conditions.

Vs Baylor. Equal to maybe marginally better loss. Impressive win home over TCU=OSU win over MSU on road(and OSU won in convincing fashion). But does the comittee punish them for scheduling the little sisters of the poor in OOC.

Also OSU us conference champion while they are co-conference champion.

Our overall SOS is higher than both of thiers.

I like our resume more over Baylor than TCU given our common opponent scores.

This isn't taking into account revenue or shit like that which we know OSU would destroy in. I know its not part of the criteria, but it wouldn't shock me if this was the main reason in the end.

I don't know. I'm very nervous going into tommorrow.

And now pointless shit. Urban vs Saban. OSU vs Oregon classic Rose Bowl. Indiana is best SEC East team. $$$$$. Either way if you put OSU in the matchips are great, the 2 I mentioned plus last 2 heismans squaring off. Brutus is best mascot. OSU killed a guys heisman chance. Buckeye leafs. Texas would rather be its own state. Script Ohio. Scarlet/Gray>>>>Purple and whatever green Baylor is. Are there even bears or horned frogs in Texas? We won 59-0 the last week f body of work. Baylor scheduled Sacred Heart for 2019. I would like to shut up my SECSECSEC friends and beat Bama.

I do believe all this discussion does show a four team playoff is not enough. Would probably be best to extend the playoffs to 8 teams. Of course a school which is close to the top 8 but doesn't get in will feel jilted; but with 8 teams I think we can safely include all the top deserving teams into the CFB.

This year is like the worst thing ever. There's never 6 "deserving" teams. This year, arguably, there are. It would of course work out that if they could, they'd expand to 8 next year in knee-jerk reaction, there would be 1 undefeated and 2 one loss teams, and the rest of the bracket is filled out with teams with multiple losses and people would wish the bracket could contract.

Play with 4 for a bit, tweak the process.

If TCU doesn't get in, then I think we can establish that the weekly rankings that come out before the final decision are 50% meaningless.

It's all about staying at or below 1 losses until the final week, when you better hope you have someone good scheduled. For the teams that have a Conference Championship this isn't an issue, your last game will always be huge.

For the Big 12, welp, better hope you are undefeated.

MIMIC

Banned
Arizona was #26 when they beat Oregon and #7 when they got beat by Oregon 51-13.

You have to go by final rankings, not 'when they beat them rankings'.

So when it comes to Ohio State, the only thing that matters is what happened way back in the beginning of the season, but here you're trying to argue that NOW is what matters?

(and 26 is unraked)

1) Oregon
2) Alabama
3) FSU

1) Worst loss by far of the one loss teams
2) 2 wins against top 25
3) Struggled in at least 3 other games (PSU, Minnesota, Michigan - it was close pretty far in and Michigan stank).

I don't even see how they're part of the conversation. Yes , they destroyed a really good Wisconsin team, but that cannot make up for the rest of the year. And if you look at the B1G, the only significant Out of Conference win was Indiana over Missouri (if you call that signficant)

Otherwise:
1) Ohio State lost their OOC vs Virginia Tech
2) Michigan State lost theirs (Oregon)
3) Wisconsin lost theirs (LSU)
4) Minnesota (TCU)

I commend them for a great season and playing with 3 different QB's, but they aren't worthy

Ohio State would move up 1 spot, not 20.

Kevtones

WVU is a decent team that lost to TCU by a point, KSU by 6, and Bama by 10.

VT lost closely to Wake Forest, ECU, Boston College, Pitt, and GT. They also got blown out by Miami. They beat OSU by 14.

So when it comes to Ohio State, the only thing that matters is what happened way back in the beginning of the season, but here you're trying to argue that NOW is what matters?

(and 26 is unraked)

I really don't know why you're trying to drag Oregon into this, clearly Arizona was much better than their ranking indicated at the time whereas Virginia Tech is well....yeah

(that being said Ohio State is clearly much better now than it was back then)

Kevtones

(and 26 is unraked)

No no. Say when Oregon beat Wyoming early in the season, Wyoming was somehow #17 in the country in week 3. They're currently unranked and 4-8 and it shouldn't count as a win over a ranked team. It should count as a win over an unranked 4-8 team.

Also, for people who care: Wake Forest's ONLY WIN in the ACC this year came against Virginia Tech. Lol. They were 1-7.

MIMIC

Banned
I really don't know why you're trying to drag Oregon into this, clearly Arizona was much better than their ranking indicated at the time whereas Virginia Tech is well....yeah

(that being said Ohio State is clearly much better now than it was back then)

I wasn't trying to slight Oregon; I was pointing out the fact that what happens NOW is more relevant than what happened way back then.

What does one spot matter? What I'm saying is that at no point during this year has Ohio State been considered better than the top 4 current teams and one blowout win shouldn't change that. That's AP poll thinking there.

In the end, I really don't care which of Baylor/TCU/Ohio State gets the last spot. None would have been in the NC game in prior years, so this new system still is allowing for the "we should have been #2" conversation. 8 teams would be better, but I'd be really fucking pissed if I were Arizona and getting beaten in a conference championship game caused me to get knocked out of the top 8 vs other teams that didn't even play in one (Michigan State, Mississippi St)

Gobias

Banned
WVU is a decent team that lost to TCU by a point, KSU by 6, and Bama by 10.

VT lost closely to Wake Forest, ECU, Boston College, Pitt, and GT. They also got blown out by Miami. They beat OSU by 14.

At the end of the day they went 7-5. Yeah, they're probably better than Virginia Tech, but so what? The Playoff Committee gave the impression that they're restarting the polls every week. They should be picking the 4 best teams at the end of the year. Why should the VT game matter as much when Ohio State is clearly a much better team than it was in September?

MIMIC

Banned
What does one spot matter? What I'm saying is that at no point during this year has Ohio State been considered better than the top 4 current teams and one blowout win shouldn't change that. That's AP poll thinking there.

It was a conference championship game.

No no. Say when Oregon beat Wyoming early in the season, Wyoming was somehow #17 in the country in week 3. They're currently unranked and 4-8 and it shouldn't count as a win over a ranked team. It should count as a win over an unranked 4-8 team.

Then how many of TCU's wins gets tossed out of the window?

Kevtones

I'm just pointing out the flaws in OSU's resume (which are against the emotional upswell atm). Really though, the B1G has been rough this year. Let's not forget September.

I've been saying this if you want the four best:

1. Bama
2. Oregon
3. FSU
4. OSU

I've been saying this if you want the four most deserving:

1. Bama
2. Oregon
3. FSU
4. Baylor

Kevtones

It was a conference championship game.

Then how many of TCU's wins gets tossed out of the window?

I posted earlier in this thread a 'blind resume' test thing. I botched my Alabama count and referenced that both Baylor and TCU might lose an OU Top 25 win while Baylor gained one tonight. If OU leaves the Top 25:

Alabama 4-1
Baylor 2-0 (road loss to 7-5 WVU)
FSU 2-0
OSU 2-0 (home loss to 6-6 VT)
Oregon 4-1
TCU: 1-1

whoa now, don't forget Ohio State has another quality win over the true SEC East champion™ Indiana :p

(also looking at the records of the teams they've played, wow TCU and Baylor have weak schedules)

Kacar

Is a win over Minnesota really enough to discredit a head 2 head win? Or are the circumstances surrounding the end of that game enough to overrule that. Because other than that the round robin format should make it clear Baylor>>>>TCU.

And thwn our murderors row of Navy and Cincinnati(co-conference champs so super relevant) are better than Baylors nonsense OOC.

Wait, has Navy even had a good year?

C4Lukins

Mack Brown
1. Bama
2. Oregon
3. FSU
3. Ohio State

a big F-U to his former conference foes? lol

Fuck Mack Brown. And I say this as a UT fan as well as a TCU fan. He recruited the best talent in the world, and never developed a single player. They won a championship on talent alone. Monkeys could have coached UT to another championship or two under his tenure.

Is a win over Minnesota really enough to discredit a head 2 head win? Or are the circumstances surrounding the end of that game enough to overrule that. Because other than that the round robin format should make it clear Baylor>>>>TCU.

And thwn our murderors row of Navy and Cincinnati(co-conference champs so super relevant) are better than Baylors nonsense OOC.

Wait, has Navy even had a good year?

They lost the military cup to Air Force. At this point they're just hoping to keep the streak against Army alive next week

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Hey guys, it's nearly 4 am, and remember:

One True Champion

0XptEca.jpg

The last 5 seasons there are have been 4-6 one loss teams at the end of the regular season and at least 1 undefeated. 2010 had 3 undefeated teams and 6 one loss teams. 2009 had 5 unbeatens. 2008 had fucking 8 one loss teams and two unbeatens. A four team playoff wouldn't have been satisfactory in any of those scenarios. These stupid greedy fucks knew this committee shit wasn't the right answer but here we are anyway.

Its really unfortunate college football has to be dragged kicking and screaming into the future. I'm looking forward to the 2078 season when we have a 16 team or NFL style 12 team playoff

explain

I know all three teams are deserving to make the playoffs either way two teams are getting screwed

DopeToast

Banned
Holy shit. If anything this shows me that we need an eight team playoff where the power 5 conference champions get an automatic bid and the other three are at-large bids. Of course then people might have arguments for being one of those teams, but at least conference champs of someone like the Big 10 or Big 12 wouldn't be left out.

I'm an Ohio State fan, so I can argue for them all night long, but I really can't argue against Baylor or TCU. All three have great cases I think, and both will have a right to be disappointed if not chosen. I know I will be if it's not the Bucks. It would be such a let down after playing like they have and then have to play in a meaningless Cotton, Peach, Fiesta, or Orange Bowl.

Schmitty

Well after last night...fuck it. Let's just go back to bowls and polls without a MNC. We are never going to be able to find the "best" team in the nation.

The attendance didn't look to good at the conference championships either. How are they going to get fans (other than corporations entertaining clients) to all these playoff games.

The attendance didn't look to good at the conference championships either. How are they going to get fans (other than corporations entertaining clients) to all these playoff games.

I don't imagine most of the Wisconsin fans stayed for very long.

Tons of OSU fans were there. Indy is only a couple hours away from Cbus.

Yeah the camera faced the wiscy side. Reports from the stadium was full at kick off.

Also:

@Mark_Schlabach OSU's 59-0 win over Wis was 2nd-largest margin of victory in shutout over top-15 team. #1 Army beat #6 Penn 61-0 in 1945

Look, we all knew we wanted eight with the Power 5 champions most likely getting an automatic bid. Just going to suck we are going to have to wait at least ten years for more than four teams. We would have some interesting matchups with 8 teams.

squicken

If it was Oklahoma and Texas, and not Baylor and TCU, the Big12 would get a team in. OSU's biggest advantage over those two teams is being Ohio State

Draconian

Vs Baylor. Equal to maybe marginally better loss. Impressive win home over TCU=OSU win over MSU on road(and OSU won in convincing fashion). But does the comittee punish them for scheduling the little sisters of the poor in OOC.

I don't get this logic at all. Virginia Tech at home is a much worse loss than West Virginia on the road is, but I'm probably in the minority here.

Was driving back to San Antonio from Atlanta yesterday so caught all the games on the radio and man, only thing worse than Missouri football are their radio announcers. Eyebrows were raised when Mizzou pulled to within 8 but Bama quickly responded, much like last week against Auburn. Offense sure has come a long way since that Arkansas game.

Then the game of the day, FSU vs Chop block u. Not gonna lie, I went into the game already taking steps to mitigate any emotional damage stemming from a loss. Sure enough, the first 3 and out and GT's subsequent march down the field did nothing to allay my fears. I just thought: let's keep it close until the 2nd half. And then lo and behold, Jameis starts throwing darts and they finally get a stop. Once they got that stop near end of 1st half I knew FSU had in bag. Great win, 29 straight, two straight undefeated regular seasons, back to back ACC champs.

One things for sure, I bet the playoff comittee is kicking themselves over dropping FSU to 4th and having TCU leapfrog them to 3. Now they're proper fucked. Bolwsby out there spouting off ridiculous co champ nonsense. Get out of here, clown. On what planet does TCU deserve co champ label if both TCU and baylor are tied and TCU lost the Head to head? In light of OSU's dismantling of some team up north, the committee would have been much better off had they snuck in TCU at 4. They couldn't help themselves, though, and coupled with the committees clear bias against FSU they jumped them to 3. But at 3, they're gonna have to figure out a way to justify not only dropping them, but removing them from the playoffs entirely based. This gonna be fun.

And for the love of god, the phrase "body of work" needs to be removed from the lexicon, like 20 minutes ago.

inm8num2

Michigan State and GT seem to be locks for the Orange Bowl. I guess I need to read up on how all the "Chop Block U" jokes came to be.

If you are a TCU fan you should be mad as hell at the OC and defensive backs for Wisconsin. Credit the d-line for OSU for stopping the run but the high score and shut-out are on those two factors alone.

I think if Baylor, TCU, and OSU all played each other. TCU would win against both teams. That is simply on the eye test alone.

Its all moot because Alabama will win anyways.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Conference champs should not get autobids. Conference championships don't give any weight to OOC games, giving autobids to those teams renders those games meaningless since you can lose them without concern, or just schedule FCS cupcakes and no one can complain.

It makes sense to use the conference championship in the case of a tie-breaker like Baylor/TCU, or if the last spot comes down to two teams and one happens to be a conference champ and one isn't. It doesn't make sense to automatically put in a team that could have as many as 4 losses (or more, imagine a 2011 Cal situation but they get the upset, then you have a 7-6 team playing in the playoff over plenty of more deserving teams).

Kacar

I don't get this logic at all. Virginia Tech at home is a much worse loss than West Virginia on the road is, but I'm probably in the minority here.
You could certainly be right. But there's also other factors to look at like early season vs mid season. New qb and new o line which has clearly improved.

I dunno, there's alot of ways to look at and interpret everything.

Michigan State and GT seem to be locks for the Orange Bowl. I guess I need to read up on how all the "Chop Block U" jokes came to be.

Yellowjacket overreacted to complaints that Georgia Tech chop blocks, causing everyone else to call them chop block u. This resulted in yellowjacket picking a fight with every person in the thread until he got banned.

Schmitty

Not just the B10, but the PAC-12 was poorly attended as well. I really think it should switch off between divisions each year for who gets the home game. The best part of college games is the atmosphere and you can't do that in a neutral field

@RapSheet University of Michigan has reached out to 49ers Jim Harbaugh, sources say. U-M left convinced he wanted to be an NFL coach

@AlbertBreer Word on Harbaugh is he wasn't pleased Michigan brushed him off during their 2008 search. And again, geography matters here.

love that hoke hire is going to fuck them over in next coaching search too

inm8num2

Yellowjacket overreacted to complaints that Georgia Tech chop blocks, causing everyone else to call them chop block u. This resulted in yellowjacket picking a fight with every person in the thread until he got banned.

Ah now you mention it I recall some of those posts. Thanks.

Well, I hope yellowjacket makes it back in time for the bowl game. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom