• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB Week 2: Everyone Exposed but Idaho (and UCF, but they got Sandusky'd)

andycapps

ZJrWVGU.gif

Limedust

Many, including Johnny Manziel himself, started calling new Texas A&M quarterback Kenny Hill by the nickname Kenny Football after his record-setting 511-yard passing game in an upset of South Carolina last week.

But the sophomore quarterback says that's Manziel's thing -- and he prefers Kenny Trill.

Kenny Trill, huh? It always works out when you give yourself a nickname, right?

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
My dad and I will head out Friday to see if the Charmin soft defense of the Alabama Crimson Tide can stop the juggernaut that is the Florida Atlantic Irrelevant Mascots. I will also be in the same state, but not the actual game as my Duke Blue Devils attempt to notch another victory vs the Troy St Trojans. Seeing as how UAB beat the absolute fuck out of Troy, I feel much better about the game. But it is Duke football so I can only feel so good before the insecurity and paranoia sets in.

I'm hearing that UCF is salivating over its inevitable inclusion to the ACC. My source in the UCF AD says that George O'Leary was planning to retire this year, but decided to postpone those plans because he wants the opportunity to coach in the big leagues again.

Remember guys, feel free to ask me more questions here. If you like my news, please repost it elsewhere and attribute it to Jon Bon Jovi.

diehard

Fleer
That sucks Ash is out. I knew what to expect from him. This Swoopes dude is probably going to run all over us as payback to what Taysom did to them last year.

(FRI) Pittsburgh @ Boston College by 13
Kansas State @ Iowa State by 10
Central Michigan @ Purdue by 10
Navy @ Temple by 21
Fresno State @ Utah by 14
USC @ Stanford by 12
Maryland @ South Florida by 3
Michigan State @ Oregon by 17
Michigan @ Notre Dame by 1
BYU @ Texas by 14
Virginia Tech @ Ohio State by 7
Colorado State @ Boise State by 14

Jamesways

I fear this is the beginning of Wisconsin's return to irrelevance.

Bret Bielema is a despicable and vile human being but Gary Andersen is the Angel of Death.

God I hope you're wrong but I have a bad feeling you may not be.

No valid QB is going to be brutal this year.

Well, here's hoping for 7-5 this year!

Edit- andycapps, that's hilarious!

Chris R

Going to spend some time and research on my picks this week.

No way in hell I'll do as bad as I did week 1!!!

ag-my001

Pitt by 10
KState by 14
Purdue by 7
Navy by 9
Utah by 4
Stanford by 7
Maryland by 13
Oregon by 13
Notre Dame by 6
Texas by 7
Ohio state by 10
Colorado State by 4

Ganhyun

My Picks

(FRI) Pittsburgh @ Boston College by 4
Central Michigan @ Purdue by 4
Navy @ Temple by 6
Fresno State @ Utah by 10
USC @ Stanford by 4
Maryland @ South Florida by 10
Michigan State @ Oregon by 10
Michigan @ Notre Dame by 4
BYU @ Texas by 4
Virginia Tech @ Ohio State by 4
Colorado State @ Boise State by 10

andycapps

Win on the road, beat the spread without starting qb and de, drop 3 spots in the polls.

Yaaaaay cfb!

I think it probably had more to do with them having so much trouble against Navy up until halftime. They didn't look good for a long time, and while the triple option is hard to prepare for, it was their first game and they had the offseason to gameplan it some.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Quoting from the last thread because of reasons:

If they made the rec league flag football champion our starting QB, it would still be better than Case.
I'm not sure Swoopes would start on UT's rec-league champion:

If Texas fans questioned a first-round Whitewright exit to Lone Oak in last fall's high school playoffs for Tyrone Swoopes, the doubters are surely out in full force now after a 1-9 season to end his high school career.

Some of the numbers are shocking -- 3-of-11 against Tom Bean in a game that Whitewright lost 52-20. Against Munster, a 6-of-29 performance that netted only 40 yards through the air. A completion percentage of 42% on the year.
And he put up those numbers against tiny schools. Woof.

http://www.burntorangenation.com/re...ing-2013-the-opening-early-enrollee-struggles

In the division he played in in high school, a single superb athlete can pretty much take a team to at least a .500 record by himself a lot of the time. It's like watching little league when there's just one kid that is either so much faster or so much bigger than everybody else.

That 1-9 record in 1a football is a pretty big red flag IMO. Maybe if he was a pocket passer and just didn't have anybody to throw to I could see it but for a guy who is supposed to be such a great athlete/run threat I think it's definitely concerning.

(FRI) Pittsburgh by 4
Kansas State by 10
Purdue by 4
Navy by 4
Utah by 10
Stanford by 4
Maryland by 10
Michigan State by 4
Notre Dame by 10
Texas by 4
Ohio State by 15
Colorado State by 4

Coaches Poll is up as well.

aTm +7, SCAR -12, Clemson -8, Wisconsin -5, UCLA -4 ,Ohio State -1, Georgia +4, and Nebraska +4.

Seems like Nebraska impressed some people this weekend.

Also Ohio State and UCLA were the only two teams to win and drop in both polls. At least among top 25 teams.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
10 Baylor - beat SMU. No word on whether or not tarps were deployed in the stadium.

Does this one outside the stadium count?

24 Missouri - beat South Dakota State. South Dakota has enough of a population to field two football teams? Who knew?
I was curious, so I checked the rosters on ESPN.com.

South Dakota State has just 22 players listed from their state, the most of any state on the roster. South Dakota has just 14 players listed from their state, behind Iowa (17) and Illinois (15).

In the division he played in in high school, a single superb athlete can pretty much take a team to at least a .500 record by himself a lot of the time. It's like watching little league when there's just one kid that is either so much faster or so much bigger than everybody else.

That 1-9 record in 1a football is a pretty big red flag IMO. Maybe if he was a pocket passer and just didn't have anybody to throw to I could see it but for a guy who is supposed to be such a great athlete/run threat I think it's definitely concerning.

Yeah, but I still want to see him play more than Case McCoy. At least his fails will be entertaining. Case's were just...sad.

Haha, I fucking love that look at the Top 25.

Also, Cody Kessler didn't practice today with an undisclosed "toe procedure", Leonard Williams and Damian Mama got injured but apparently will still play Saturday.

Lovely.

Stuck in the Swamp with a five year old for two hours. Unable to leave and couldn't even see the north endzone while standing in the south endzone. She was a champ though, didn't complain and neither did any of the other kids around us. When we left she proclaimed we had to come back the next day to watch them play. I was so proud, sniffle.

Go Gator(s)

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.

What's more concerning is your head coach wearing fake watches and still not getting invited to the Oscar's as the rightful B list celebrity that your boosters see him as.

Subitai

FranktheTank of realignment fame last blog post was a Q&A one that included his assessment of MrSec's winners and losers of the SEC Network rollout. You can probably guess the losers pretty easily. The winners...
are Ole Miss and Mississippi State, SEC Fans, Mike Slive, ESPN, and conspiracy theorists.

http://frankthetank.me/2014/08/21/frank-the-tank-summer-mailbag-part-ii-ice-bucket-challenge-sec-network-obannon-lawsuit-and-big-east-stature-in-autonomy/
http://mrsec.com/articles/the-winners-and-losers-in-the-sec-network-rollout

Interesting stuff now that one week being live is in the books. It didn't look to me like there was a significant attendance drop at any of the SEC home games, but some of the "neutral" site games seemed to show the effects of the shiny new SEC channel.

Cyan. Cyan! Can you ban this bully! CYAN!
D=

Sotha_Sil

(FRI) Pittsburgh @ Boston College by 3
Central Michigan @ Purdue by 13
Navy @ Temple by 3
Fresno State @ Utah by 3
USC @ Stanford by 10
Maryland @ South Florida by 6
Michigan State @ Oregon by 7
Michigan @ Notre Dame by 10
BYU @ Texas by 7
Virginia Tech @ Ohio State by 13
Colorado State @ Boise State by 17

johnbone

So the first week of the 2014 college football season is in the books. What did we learn? Well, that pretty much everyone sucks except for the Idaho Vandals who shut out the Florida Gatas in the Swamp.]

Hahaha!

Idaho was also shut out, though, so I guess they were exposed too....

So basically it's Vanderbilt's year!

johnbone

(FRI) Pittsburgh @ Boston College by 4
Kansas State @ Iowa State by 12
Central Michigan @ Purdue by 12
Navy @ Temple by 11
Fresno State @ Utah by 14
USC @ Stanford by 8
Maryland @ South Florida by 12
Michigan State @ Oregon by 3
Michigan @ Notre Dame by 8
BYU @ Texas by 3
Virginia Tech @ Ohio State by 8
Colorado State @ Boise State by 16

Florida @ Rain Delay by 2 hours
Go Gata

Subitai

At least it's appropriate that South Carolina was the first state to secede from the College Football Playoff
At least there is the small chance they could play their way back into it. Like by beating the Gatas. Yeah, hope isn't logical, it is just looking towards the possible.

He's a big Deep Space 9 fan?

Trill-
An adjective used in hip-hop culture to describe someone who is considered to be well respected, coming from a combination of the words "true" and "real".

source: urbandictionary.com

Also: Your #1 trusted sports news source b/r weighs in with tweet from Bun B

basically, you can't be "Trill" after having one good game against a comatose defense

EDIT: Did anyone else notice Brown received 26 votes in the Coaches Poll?

Notable opening lines from Vegas:

Stanford -4
Arizona -8 (They're playing Stephen F Austin!)
Wazzu -3 (Possibly the only time they'll be favored the rest of this season)
Alabama -40 (I'd take the under on this one)
Florida -38 (I'd take the under on this one too)
Oregon -11
Notre Dame -6
Ohio State -12
Texas -4

Stanford, Arizona, bama under, Florida under, Texas.

Ohio state are not great but 12 points is a lot to make up without the no1 qb, especially as they are away.

I think Michigan state are going to give Oregon a run for their their money as well, could be an upset.

(FRI) Pittsburgh @ Boston College by 7
Central Michigan @ Purdue by 4
Navy @ Temple by 7
Fresno State @ Utah by 7
USC @ Stanford by 7
Maryland @ South Florida by 7
Michigan State @ Oregon by 4
Michigan @ Notre Dame by 4
BYU @ Texas by 10
Virginia Tech @ Ohio State by 10
Colorado State @ Boise State by 7

GAF Pick'em Week 1 Results

Rank [ Change ] -- Score User ( Last Pts / Last Picks )
1 [ ▼0 ] -- 13 bachikarn ( 13 / 9 )
2 [ ▼1 ] -- 10 truly101 ( 10 / 8 )
2 [ ▼1 ] -- 10 Schlep ( 10 / 8 )
2 [ ▼1 ] -- 10 xeris ( 10 / 8 )
2 [ ▼1 ] -- 10 GodfatherX ( 10 / 8 )
2 [ ▼1 ] -- 10 tokkun ( 10 / 8 )
2 [ ▼1 ] -- 10 chicko1983 ( 10 / 8 )
2 [ ▼1 ] -- 10 Subitai ( 10 / 7 )
9 [ ▼8 ] -- 9 perfectchaos007 ( 9 / 9 )
9 [ ▼8 ] -- 9 ConfusingJazz ( 9 / 8 )
9 [ ▼8 ] -- 9 Mac the KNife ( 9 / 8 )
9 [ ▼8 ] -- 9 bucknuticus ( 9 / 8 )
9 [ ▼8 ] -- 9 Crimson Commie ( 9 / 8 )
9 [ ▼8 ] -- 9 Draconian ( 9 / 8 )
9 [ ▼8 ] -- 9 Monroeski ( 9 / 8 )
9 [ ▼8 ] -- 9 sf2fanatic ( 9 / 8 )
9 [ ▼8 ] -- 9 cashman ( 9 / 7 )
9 [ ▼8 ] -- 9 Jay Sosa ( 9 / 7 )
9 [ ▼8 ] -- 9 Incognito ( 9 / 7 )
9 [ ▼8 ] -- 9 Affeinvasion ( 9 / 7 )
9 [ ▼8 ] -- 9 FelixOrion ( 9 / 7 )
9 [ ▼8 ] -- 9 Randolph Freelander ( 9 / 7 )
9 [ ▼8 ] -- 9 AntoneM ( 9 / 7 )
9 [ ▼8 ] -- 9 GoldenEye 007 ( 9 / 6 )
9 [ ▼8 ] -- 9 mre ( 9 / 6 )
26 [ ▼25 ] -- 8 ag-my001 ( 8 / 8 )
26 [ ▼25 ] -- 8 Battlezone ( 8 / 8 )
26 [ ▼25 ] -- 8 Draxal ( 8 / 8 )
26 [ ▼25 ] -- 8 Cyan ( 8 / 7 )
26 [ ▼25 ] -- 8 Lonestar ( 8 / 7 )
26 [ ▼25 ] -- 8 cdyhybrid ( 8 / 7 )
26 [ ▼25 ] -- 8 Schmitty ( 8 / 7 )
26 [ ▼25 ] -- 8 Ganhyun ( 8 / 7 )
26 [ ▼25 ] -- 8 Purple Cheeto ( 8 / 7 )
26 [ ▼25 ] -- 8 Torlain ( 8 / 7 )
26 [ ▼25 ] -- 8 Jhriad ( 8 / 7 )
26 [ ▼25 ] -- 8 wbsmcs ( 8 / 7 )
26 [ ▼25 ] -- 8 MrJames ( 8 / 7 )
26 [ ▼25 ] -- 8 Westonian ( 8 / 7 )
26 [ ▼25 ] -- 8 Enfinit ( 8 / 7 )
26 [ ▼25 ] -- 8 pxleyes ( 8 / 6 )
26 [ ▼25 ] -- 8 rhfb ( 8 / 6 )
26 [ ▼25 ] -- 8 Zach ( 8 / 6 )
26 [ ▼25 ] -- 8 Frustrated_Grunt ( 8 / 6 )
26 [ ▼25 ] -- 8 Garryk ( 8 / 7 )
46 [ ▼45 ] -- 7 BertramCooper ( 7 / 7 )
46 [ ▼45 ] -- 7 johnbone ( 7 / 7 )
46 [ ▼45 ] -- 7 KingGondo ( 7 / 7 )
46 [ ▼45 ] -- 7 Sotha_Sil ( 7 / 7 )
46 [ ▼45 ] -- 7 Yaboosh ( 7 / 7 )
46 [ ▼45 ] -- 7 zyxwvu4321 ( 7 / 6 )
46 [ ▼45 ] -- 7 andycapps ( 7 / 6 )
46 [ ▼45 ] -- 7 StrikerObi ( 7 / 6 )
46 [ ▼45 ] -- 7 devildog820 ( 7 / 6 )
55 [ ▼54 ] -- 6 Talka ( 6 / 6 )
55 [ ▼54 ] -- 6 LosDaddie ( 6 / 6 )