• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB Week 3: The playoffs really did make the regular season pointless.

Iowa(2-0) vs. Iowa State(0-2)

As much as I've been hating on the Cyclones the past 2 weeks, I'm gonna be really positive here because fuck the Hawkeyes. Iowa might have 2 wins, but these are an 8 point win against Northern Iowa(last year 9th place in their FCS conference) and a 4 point win against Ball State(last year 3rd in the MAC). Iowa State's losses are to defending FCS champs NDSU and to 20th ranked Kansas State. Watching both teams the past week, I'd say that Iowa has a slight advantage, but only because the game is being played at Kinnick Stadium.

Iowa is gonna get obliterated.

Enfinit

Iowa(2-0) vs. Iowa State(0-2)

As much as I've been hating on the Cyclones the past 2 weeks, I'm gonna be really positive here because fuck the Hawkeyes. Iowa might have 2 wins, but these are an 8 point win against Northern Iowa(last year 9th place in their FCS conference) and a 4 point win against Ball State(last year 3rd in the MAC). Iowa State's losses are to defending FCS champs NDSU and to 20th ranked Kansas State. Watching both teams the past week, I'd say that Iowa has a slight advantage, but only because the game is being played at Kinnick Stadium.

Iowa's gonna make it to the B1G championship game. YOU WATCH, KARL.

AntoneM

Ok, ok.

I'll add Urbs to the most hated list, but no way is the OBC on the most hated list, just no way.

Most hated men in college football in no order (yet):
Kiffin
Bielma
Urban

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Ok, ok.

I'll add Urbs to the most hated list, but no way is the OBC on the most hated list, just no way.

Kiffin
Bielma
Urban

Anybody that says OBC takes life way too seriously.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Ok, ok.

Kiffin
Bielma
Urban
I agree that Kiffin is a douche, but I don't seem him being the most hated anymore. I think a lot of the hate for him died when he got shit-canned from USCw in such an embarrassing fashion. He hasn't even killed a kid (Brian Kelly) or helped cover up a rape (James Franklin).

AntoneM

I agree that Kiffin is a douche, but I don't seem him being the most hated anymore. I think a lot of the hate for him died when he got shit-canned from USCw in such an embarrassing fashion. He hasn't even killed a kid (Brian Kelly) or helped cover up a rape (James Franklin).

Are you nominating them? I can see Kelly, Franklin though doesn't get much hate.

mre

Are you nominating them? I can see Kelly, Franklin though doesn't get much hate.
Franklin would if he'd been at any school other than Vandy. Not only did he help cover up a rape, but he walked off with their entire recruiting class. Total douche move.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Purdue may be shit, but there's a huge chasm between them and FAU. Purdue has 5 more wins than FAU over the last 10 years and they've never even been a member of the Sun Belt conference.

Talking trash about ND's schedule this year just doesn't work.

First, I'm not trashing ND's schedule, but I am pointing out that a shit team is a shit team, regardless if its C-USA or B1G, and usually the fanbase of a traditional national power is going to show up for its home opener whether they are playing another ranked team or sisters of the poor. For some reason you took issue with this.

Second, look at your bolded sentence. You didn't do the Boilermakers any favors by pointing out that the college that brought you Drew Brees only has 5 more wins than some suitcase college in Florida over the last decade.

Besides, the Owls of FAU gave up 41 pts to Bama at Tuscaloosa. I know a team that gave up 42 points to Bama in a complete ass kicking in a game that was supposed to be more meaningful at a neutral site.

I'm not even a Bama fan, but I'm getting to see why people have such a low tolerance of.....you people.

mre

First, I'm not trashing ND's schedule, but I am pointing out that a shit team is a shit team, regardless if its C-USA or B1G, and usually the fanbase of a traditional national power is going to show up for its home opener whether they are playing another ranked team or sisters of the poor. For some reason you took issue with this.

Second, look at your bolded sentence. You didn't do the Boilermakers any favors by pointing out that the college that brought you Drew Brees only has 5 more wins than some suitcase college in Florida over the last decade.

Besides, the Owls of FAU gave up 41 pts to Bama at Tuscaloosa. I know a team that gave up 42 points to Bama in a complete ass kicking in a game that was supposed to be more meaningful at a neutral site.

I'm not even a Bama fan, but I'm getting to see why people have such a low tolerance of.....you people.
rjVcCxH.gif

And you're comparing the national championship winning team from two years ago to this year's Alabama team playing in a game that they don't care about at all? And you can see why I have such a low tolerance for people with no basis in facts.

My point is that fan bases regardless of the team shouldn't be so willing and glad to throw ticket money at exhibition games just because it's a season opener.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
And you're comparing the national championship winning team from two years ago to this year's Alabama team playing in a game that they don't care about at all? And you can see why I have such a low tolerance for people with no basis in facts.

My point is that fan bases regardless of the team shouldn't be so willing and glad to throw ticket money at exhibition games just because it's a season opener.

Plenty of people seemed to care about the game from where I was sitting, mainly about the duel between Sims and Coker and if the return of Depriest would help the defense.

So BTW, why did ND fans waste time watching the Irish play Rice? Or did nobody show up for that one?

Hey, do you know what conference Rice plays in? FAU knows. You seriously sound like a hypocrite right now

mre

(1) The vast, vast majority of Alabama tickets are sold as part of season packages. (2) Even those tickets that are sold individually are sold at a much reduced rate. The FAU tickets were $45 / ticket, rather than the ~$90 or so for, say the Auburn game. (3) Many of the people who attended the game bought them secondhand for a price far below face value. I believe they were going for $12ish on stubhub last week. So, many people who would otherwise not be able to afford to attend a game are able to snag tickets to games like these.

edit: fuck it, what truly said.

Draconian

(1) The vast, vast majority of Alabama tickets are sold as part of season packages. (2) Even those tickets that are sold individually are sold at a much reduced rate. The FAU tickets were $45 / ticket, rather than the ~$90 or so for, say the Auburn game. (3) Many of the people who attended the game bought them secondhand for a price far below face value. I believe they were going for $12ish on stubhub last week. So, many people who would otherwise not be able to afford to attend a game are able to snag tickets to games like these and attend.

This is an important point that's not often brought up. Additionally, it's ridiculous to blame fans for wanting to watch their favorite team play even if these tickets were all sold individually.

Apparently we have opened as favorites against Arkansas and the line has only moved more to the Tech side. Didn't expect this after our performances the last two weeks.

That's nuts. I think we are going to get murdered under a pile of about a zillion points and rushing yards. And I'm being optimistic, I think.

what a shit week for picks and gambling for me.

I lost about $140 on a number of bets.

Ohio St, Texas and Michigan State killed me on various multis. In hindsight, what was I thinking?

I am about -$60 overall for the year.

Looking into another gimmick neutral site.

Early buzz is that the game will be played on the moon. Because the Big Ten has to upstage Notre Dame somehow.

Hey now!

THIS IS THE GAME OF THE WEEK!

GAF HAS BEEN WAITING FOR THIS GAME FOR TWO YEARS. EVERYONE EXCEPT FOR MRE IS SALIVATING FOR THIS GAME!

IT MAKES OHIO STATE-MICHIGAN LOOK LIKE CAL VS. STANFORD. THAT IS WHAT WE CALL A LUKEWARM RIVALRY THAT IS ALWAYS ONE SIDED AND THE ONLY THING THAT EVER HAPPENED IN THAT RIVALRY WAS A BAND CAME ON THE FIELD ONCE. RUTGERS-PENN STATE IS SO INTENSE THAT IT MAKES OHIO STATE-MICHIGAN LOOK LIKE THAT!

cashman

Banned
what a shit week for picks and gambling for me.

I lost about $140 on a number of bets.

Ohio St, Texas and Michigan State killed me on various multis. In hindsight, what was I thinking?

I am about -$60 overall for the year.

Those Big ten schools will burn ya. As for Texas, they're going to be a messs until they can get a decent group of O linemen.

Jhriad

I mean, I think Abdullah's good, but Hiseman? Let's not get fucking carried away, Steve.

Abdullah is Heisman caliber but the line play has been, at best, mediocre. Even in the FAU game he wasn't getting clean holes to run through some of the time. If he were on the roster at Bama everyone would know his name but because the team he's on can't consistently play up to his level he's going to quietly go through the season into an relatively early (for a running back) draft spot.

Those Big ten schools will burn ya. As for Texas, they're going to be a messs until they can get a decent group of O linemen.

I thought that they would be okay with Strong there.

However, I made the bets before Ash got ruled out and the other players cut from the squad.

Subitai

Hey now!

THIS IS THE GAME OF THE WEEK!

GAF HAS BEEN WAITING FOR THIS GAME FOR TWO YEARS. EVERYONE EXCEPT FOR MRE IS SALIVATING FOR THIS GAME!

IT MAKES OHIO STATE-MICHIGAN LOOK LIKE CAL VS. STANFORD. THAT IS WHAT WE CALL A LUKEWARM RIVALRY THAT IS ALWAYS ONE SIDED AND THE ONLY THING THAT EVER HAPPENED IN THAT RIVALRY WAS A BAND CAME ON THE FIELD ONCE. RUTGERS-PENN STATE IS SO INTENSE THAT IT MAKES OHIO STATE-MICHIGAN LOOK LIKE THAT!
A number of PA kids on your team that I'll be looking for again, but they probably won't see much action. Penn State's starting center and running back are from NJ, and I'm guessing this is probably somewhat to your dismay.

mre

well, this week surely couldnt be worse than last week, right?
mre said:
Week 2 Notable Games

Saturday
3:30 PM No. 15 USC at No. 11 Stanford
6:30 PM No. 8 Michigan State at No. 3 Oregon
7:30 PM Michigan at No. 17 Notre Dame
Week 3 Notable Games

Saturday
12:00 PM UCF at No. 20 Missouri
3:30 PM No. 6 Georgia at No. 24 South Carolina
3:30 PM Arkansas at Texas Tech
3:30 PM Iowa State at Iowa
4:00 PM Illinois at Washington
8:00 PM No. 9 USC at Boston College
8:00 PM No. 12 UCLA vs. Texas
I mean, you tell me. My reaction to looking at the line-up for these past two weeks has essentially been this:

t4fHgYs.gif

edit: credit to buck for that imagery.

So BTW, why did ND fans waste time watching the Irish play Rice? Or did nobody show up for that one?

(1) The vast, vast majority of Alabama tickets are sold as part of season packages. (2) Even those tickets that are sold individually are sold at a much reduced rate. The FAU tickets were $45 / ticket, rather than the ~$90 or so for, say the Auburn game. (3) Many of the people who attended the game bought them secondhand for a price far below face value. I believe they were going for $12ish on stubhub last week. So, many people who would otherwise not be able to afford to attend a game are able to snag tickets to games like these.

It's mostly that I feel bad for people who are season ticket holders that don't have a choice of ticket packages. I put it at the same level as NFL ticket owners who have preseason games included in their season tickets. The second hand stuff has gotten way, way better is a point I haven't really considered. I'm mostly surprised that Alabama sells individual tickets at a discount (not second hand from season ticket holders who are trying to offload them). mre's point about fans who wouldn't otherwise be able to go, I think is a good one.

mre

It's mostly that I feel bad for people who are season ticket holders that don't have a choice of ticket packages. I put it at the same level as NFL ticket owners who have preseason games included in their season tickets. The second hand stuff has gotten way, way better is a point I haven't really considered. I'm mostly surprised that Alabama sells individual tickets at a discount (not second hand from season ticket holders who are trying to offload them). mre's point about fans who wouldn't otherwise be able to go, I think is a good one.
Just to clarify, I wouldn't really say we sell them at a "discount." They're just priced differently, whether they're sold as part of the season ticket packages or individually. I can't find an image of someone holding their regular priced season tickets this year, but here's an image of faculty/staff tickets:

gMwGf5e.png

As you can see, these discounted tickets sell for $36 for the shit games (such as FAU), to $60 for the "better" games (such as Auburn). Even Mississippi State and Florida are priced slightly lower. Full price tickets range from $45 to $90.

so happy college football is back, even happier Petrino is back (enjoy that extra 400k for all of those 2 years charlie), and love our black alternates, and the signage change around the field. Some pics from one of our scout posters

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion

edit: fuck it, what truly said.

Basically, yeah. As someone with no season tickets, it's all second hand selling, and the highest level of game in my budget range is the Mississippi schools and Arkansas. $200+ for a shit seat to see LSU or Auburn, no thanks.

As you can see, these discounted tickets sell for $36 for the shit games (such as FAU), to $60 for the "better" games (such as Auburn). Even Mississippi State and Florida are priced slightly lower. Full price tickets range from $45 to $90.

That's really interesting...I've never seen that before. Season tickets here are all one static "face value" regardless of opponent.

I saw this stat today from FSU: “The Seminoles improve to 28-0 against unranked competition when they are the No. 1 team in the Associated Press Poll."

I love that it's somebody's job at every major school to come up with this stuff.

mre

That's really interesting...I've never seen that before. Season tickets here are all one static "face value" regardless of opponent.
Not sure why they do it that way especially when people would probably still buy all the season ticket packages at the higher price point, but it certainly does make some of the games for affordable for some elements of the fan base that would otherwise not be able to afford to attend a game. Maybe that's even the reason why they do that. Lonestar should ask somebody and find out for us.

So many byes this week. I don't know if there are even enough games to choose from!

In the meantime, here's last week's results. Lowest score from the first two weeks has been dropped, and will continue to be throughout the season.

GAF Pick'em Week 2 Results and Rankings

Rank [ Change ] -- Score User ( Last Pts / Last Picks )
1 [ ▼0 ] -- 13 bachikarn ( 9 / 7 )
1 [ ▲1 ] -- 13 tokkun ( 13 / 9 )
1 [ ▲25 ] -- 13 Purple Cheeto ( 13 / 10 )
1 [ ▲25 ] -- 13 Cyan ( 13 / 9 )
1 [ ▲25 ] -- 13 Ganhyun ( 13 / 9 )
1 [ ▲25 ] -- 13 Battlezone ( 13 / 9 )
7 [ ▲2 ] -- 12 Monroeski ( 12 / 9 )
7 [ ▲2 ] -- 12 perfectchaos007 ( 12 / 8 )
7 [ ▲19 ] -- 12 cdyhybrid ( 12 / 8 )
7 [ ▲39 ] -- 12 johnbone ( 12 / 11 )
7 [ ▲39 ] -- 12 StrikerObi ( 12 / 8 )
12 [ ▼3 ] -- 11 cashman ( 11 / 8 )
12 [ ▼3 ] -- 11 GoldenEye 007 ( 11 / 8 )
12 [ ▼3 ] -- 11 Affeinvasion ( 11 / 8 )
12 [ ▲14 ] -- 11 Torlain ( 11 / 8 )
12 [ ▲34 ] -- 11 KingGondo ( 11 / 9 )
17 [ ▼15 ] -- 10 truly101 ( 10 / 7 )
17 [ ▼15 ] -- 10 xeris ( 10 / 7 )
17 [ ▼15 ] -- 10 GodfatherX ( 10 / 7 )
17 [ ▼15 ] -- 10 chicko1983 ( 10 / 7 )
17 [ ▼15 ] -- 10 Subitai ( 9 / 8 )
17 [ ▼15 ] -- 10 Schlep ( 8 / 6 )
17 [ ▼8 ] -- 10 Incognito ( 10 / 9 )
17 [ ▼8 ] -- 10 Jay Sosa ( 10 / 8 )
17 [ ▼8 ] -- 10 mre ( 10 / 8 )
17 [ ▼8 ] -- 10 FelixOrion ( 10 / 8 )
17 [ ▲9 ] -- 10 ag-my001 ( 10 / 8 )
17 [ ▲9 ] -- 10 Jhriad ( 10 / 8 )
17 [ ▲9 ] -- 10 Lonestar ( 10 / 7 )
17 [ ▲29 ] -- 10 Yaboosh ( 10 / 8 )
17 [ ▲29 ] -- 10 devildog820 ( 10 / 7 )
17 [ ▲44 ] -- 10 AlteredBeast ( 10 / 8 )
33 [ ▼24 ] -- 9 AntoneM ( 9 / 6 )
33 [ ▼24 ] -- 9 Randolph Freelander ( 8 / 7 )
33 [ ▼24 ] -- 9 ConfusingJazz ( 8 / 6 )
33 [ ▼24 ] -- 9 Mac the KNife ( 8 / 5 )
33 [ ▼24 ] -- 9 bucknuticus ( 7 / 6 )
33 [ ▼24 ] -- 9 Draconian ( 7 / 6 )
33 [ ▼24 ] -- 9 Crimson Commie ( 7 / 5 )
33 [ ▼24 ] -- 9 sf2fanatic ( 5 / 5 )
33 [ ▼7 ] -- 9 Westonian ( 9 / 7 )
33 [ ▼7 ] -- 9 Draxal ( 9 / 7 )
33 [ ▼7 ] -- 9 pxleyes ( 9 / 6 )
33 [ ▲13 ] -- 9 zyxwvu4321 ( 9 / 7 )
33 [ ▲28 ] -- 9 NihonTiger90 ( 9 / 8 )
46 [ ▼20 ] -- 8 Frustrated_Grunt ( 8 / 7 )
46 [ ▼20 ] -- 8 Schmitty ( 8 / 5 )
46 [ ▼20 ] -- 8 MrJames ( 7 / 6 )
46 [ ▼20 ] -- 8 rhfb ( 7 / 4 )
46 [ ▼20 ] -- 8 Enfinit ( 5 / 5 )
46 [ ▼20 ] -- 8 wbsmcs ( 0 / 0 )
46 [ ▼20 ] -- 8 Zach ( 0 / 0 )
46 [ ▼20 ] -- 8 Garryk ( 0 / 0 )
46 [ ▼0 ] -- 8 andycapps ( 8 / 6 )
46 [ ▲15 ] -- 8 JJDinomite ( 8 / 6 )
56 [ ▼10 ] -- 7 Sotha_Sil ( 7 / 6 )
56 [ ▼10 ] -- 7 BertramCooper ( 0 / 0 )
56 [ ▼1 ] -- 7 Talka ( 7 / 6 )
59 [ ▼4 ] -- 6 JCX ( 6 / 5 )
59 [ ▼4 ] -- 6 theprodigy ( 6 / 5 )
59 [ ▼4 ] -- 6 StoOgE ( 5 / 4 )
59 [ ▼4 ] -- 6 LosDaddie ( 0 / 0 )
63 [ ▼3 ] -- 5 CouldBeWorse ( 0 / 0 )

Week 2 High Score: 13 by tokkun, Purple Cheeto, Cyan, Ganhyun, Battlezone
Most Overall Picks: 11 by johnbone
Most MoV Picks: 4 by perfectchaos007, Cyan, cdyhybrid, StrikerObi, Ganhyun, Battlezone, tokkun

Weekly Averages
* Averages don't include players that didn't participate this week

Week 2 Average Score: 9.33
Week 2 Average Picks: 7.11

Going to spend some time and research on my picks this week.
No way in hell I'll do as bad as I did week 1!!!

rhfb Week 1: 8
rhfb Week 2: 7

:(

I saw this stat today from FSU: “The Seminoles improve to 28-0 against unranked competition when they are the No. 1 team in the Associated Press Poll."

I love that it's somebody's job at every major school to come up with this stuff.

yeah but it has to suck for some writers, for instance

"Florida 50, Kentucky 0 - Florida defeats Kentucky for the 28th straight year. The SEC improves to a combined 25-0 record against Kentucky over the last 3 seasons. The Wildcats march on to the ever elusive 1.5k mark, 1,500 consecutive days since they last beat a BCS conference program"

unfortunately the next week they are going to beat vandy, because vandy sucks and will ruin the fun for everyone

note: im not a gata fan, in fact I think they are the 9th best team in Florida, only FAU and UCF are worse, in that particular order

People would probably be less confused by the rankings if we used Yahoo, because Yahoo would show them their cumulative score.

Ouch, mre. Ouch.
That said I can put in the cumulative score as well (before the lowest is removed) if people want it.

andycapps

Ok, ok.

Kiffin
Bielma
Urban

Anybody that says OBC takes life way too seriously.

If you don't understand the OBC pick, you're obviously not a golfer Georgia fan. If you were on the receiving end of all those beatdowns in the 90's, you'd get it. Particularly him running up the score between the hedges because he could.

Draxal

As a Ray Rice fan/Rutgers fan I was willing to wait for the video of the assault to be released before judging (wishful thinking on my part I guess).

Now that it has been, he should be in jail now. Lawyer gaf, how did he get out of that, I understand pleeing down in a case of he said(and the witness clamming down) but isn't that vid a smoking gun?

Meier

If you struggle against us, you should just cancel the season.
I am still in awe that Patterson has the balls to kill off the LASP program to try and price staff out of seats. The team is awful right now and there were at least 20k seats open on Saturday. What is he trying to accomplish? It's absurd.

Lonestar

As a Ray Rice fan/Rutgers fan I was willing to wait for the video of the assault to be released before judging (wishful thinking on my part I guess).

Now that it has been, he should be in jail now. Lawyer gaf, how did he get out of that, I understand pleeing down in a case of he said(and the witness clamming down) but isn't that vid a smoking gun?

Maybe. I just want to know, how was it possible for that video to stay hidden this long. I mean, most people know there are camera's in elevators. Did the NFL/Cops/Ravens forget this and never asked for the tapes?

Lonestar

I think it would be helpful. :p

Edit: WHY THE FUCK AM I AWAKE

I don't know why I'm awake either.

With that in mind, I'll add in the total score along with the adjusted score tomorrow.

Well, I know mre's CST, but is TTK PST?

Cause I was wondering why I was still up on my previous post (2 am).

Goddam ipad Netflix. You and you're awesomeness have made this workday miserable.

Top Bottom