• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB Week 3: The playoffs really did make the regular season pointless.

jakncoke

Banned
Penn State currently has the best shot at making this years playoffs from the B1G. Didn't think there was a chance of that pre-season

I doubt this. We are still young and lack depth.

How does NCAA even punish schools after Penn St off easy practically twice

Remember when people said the punishment was worse than the death penalty? :jnc

I remember a lot of people on the internet and on here saying we'd never get any big prospects anymore as well. People say a lot of things.

KingGondo

Banned
I find it comical that people believe nothing bad ever happened under Joe Pa;

He had little to no control over his players;

http://mobileapp.espn.go.com/wireless/story?storyId=3504915&pg=1
Everyone knows he was little more than a figurehead toward the end of his career.

What's sickening is that PSU is trying to reclaim the mantle of the "old-fashioned program that does everything right" by hiring a dude like Franklin (who left the cupboard bare at Vandy by stealing every kid who committed to play there when he left).

They'll continue to deify Paterno, pretend that Sandusky was just a bad apple who tricked everyone, and the same delusional culture will continue. It's doubtful that anything this bad will ever happen again (because if it does then well holy shit that's amazing) but lots of problems arise when fans have an unhealthy relationship with sports teams.

Monroeski said:
Unfortunately for us, no matter what their overall level of team quality is their offense is basically custom built to exploit every weakness we have. The offense better get their shit together this week because Arkansas is going to have 1,000 yards rushing.
This post is far too concise and pessimistic.

Pristine_Condition needs to get in here and correct this immediately.

Draxal

Herp derp.

I do find the timing on this to be insane. As Rice was the Rutgers posterboy (we changed it to McCourty after initial arrest), and they used this announcement to sne..... backdoor the Penn State news and this game is occurring this weekend.

Rutgers has had a hard on when Penn State's backup quarterback throw a touchdown in the last game in garbage time against us.

That quarterback was Mike McQueary.

You can't make this shit up.

Sparty is the class of the division. PSU's offensive line is worse than OSU's this year.

Yeah but Penn State is looking like they could be this years team of destiny. Began with that miracle win over UCF, and now they are eligible for the post season with a currently unbeaten slate. Look at all the adversity the NCAA has helped them overcome.

*vomits on keyboard

I do find the timing on this to be insane. As Rice was the Rutgers posterboy (we changed it to McCourty after initial arrest), and they used this announcement to sne..... backdoor the Penn State news and this game is occurring this weekend.

Rutgers has had a hard on when Penn State's backup quarterback throw a touchdown in the last game in garbage time against us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eV4No5wvHY

Then it turns out that apparently MM was betting on games while playing and thats why this play happened.

cdyhybrid

I think this is enough to move the Rutgers-Pedo State game to the big game list.

Lunar15

Sucks for all those teams that have never had their postseason eligibility restored mid season.

Is there any precedence for that?

Haven't read that yet, but Jerramy Stevens always deserves a big fat mention in that conversation.

And he continued to be a scum bag as a pro, and after his pro career. It's almost like getting away with it so many times made him think he was above the law!

It's funny, as a 10th grader I wrote a paper for English class entitled "HS Athletics, preparing tomorrow's criminals today" that got me in trouble and I had to write another paper for the assignment, yet here, 20 some odd years later I realize that cynical 10th grade me wasn't really that far off the mark.

They don't have a loss yet. Are they going to go undefeated? I highly doubt it. But still.

Yep. Given how weak the B1G is, a team from that conference will more than likely need to be undefeated to make the playoffs. Currently, Penn State is the only remaining undefeated B1G team with any sort of realistic shot at the playoffs....unless you think fucking Iowa has a shot.

Draxal

Yep. Given how weak the B1G is, a team from that conference will more than likely need to be undefeated to make the playoffs. Currently, Penn State is the only remaining undefeated B1G team with any sort of realistic shot at the playoffs....unless you think fucking Iowa has a shot.

Um, Nebraska is a better team and still undefeated (even after McNeese), and their schedule is even easier with Wisconsin looking horrific this year.

And I'd really doubt PSU will beat MSU, it's just a really bad matchup for PSU.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Throwback uniforms for this weekend revealed -

10290356.jpeg
10290372.jpeg

For comparison -

1588451.jpg

TTK Presents: GAF Pick'em Week 3 Games
(all games Saturday unless otherwise marked)

UCF @ Missouri by X
Boise State @ Connecticut by X
Syracuse @ Central Michigan by X
West Virginia @ Maryland by X
Louisville @ Virginia by X
Georgia @ South Carolina by X
NC State @ South Florida by X
Arkansas @ Texas Tech by X
Iowa State @ Iowa by X
UCLA vs Texas by X
Portland State @ Washington State by X
Nebraska @ Fresno State by X

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!

UCF @ Missouri by X
Iowa State @ Iowa by X
UCLA vs Texas by X

But where is the Rutgers v. PSU game?!?!?!!!!

Draxal

UCF @ Missouri by X
Iowa State @ Iowa by X
UCLA vs Texas by X

Popo is going to murder you in your sleep.

cdyhybrid

UCF @ Missouri by 8
Boise State @ Connecticut by 4
Syracuse @ Central Michigan by 4
West Virginia @ Maryland by 7
Louisville @ Virginia by 10
Georgia @ South Carolina by 4
NC State @ South Florida by 4
Arkansas @ Texas Tech by 4
Iowa State @ Iowa by 4
UCLA vs Texas by 8
Portland State @ Washington State by 4
Nebraska @ Fresno State by 10

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
If U of H can do it, anyone can

U of H isn't a tier 1 research university in the way that most everybody means when they say tier 1. I don't remember the exact specifics but basically they got the designation they brag about from some body that only takes into account total money spent on research, while the "real" tier 1 designation takes into account quality, importance, faculty, etc.

Tech and UT-Dallas are still both pretty far ahead of Houston for the tier 1 that matters from what I remember.

Repost for new page...

UCF @ Missouri by X
Iowa State @ Iowa by X
UCLA vs Texas by X

... wow, really?

It's probably their last chance to win a game, and I feel bad for Wino.
Plus, they can always Coug it! You can't be certain!

Draxal

UCF @ Missouri by X
Iowa State @ Iowa by X
UCLA vs Texas by X

Mizzou 7
Boise 14
Cuse 7
Terps 10
Ville 10
UGAUGAUGAUGAUGAUGAUGAUGAUGAUGA 10
USF 4
Tech 4
Iowa 10
UCLA 10
Wazzou 14
Nebraska 10

KingGondo

Banned
This pains me to say... but those are... actually kinda cool.

UCF @ Missouri by 7
Boise State @ Connecticut by 14
Syracuse @ Central Michigan by 4
West Virginia @ Maryland by 4
Louisville @ Virginia by 4
Georgia @ South Carolina by 4
Iowa State @ Iowa by 4
UCLA vs Texas by 4
Portland State @ Washington State by 4
Nebraska @ Fresno State by 4

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member

UCF @ Missouri by 10
Syracuse @ Central Michigan by 7
Louisville @ Virginia by 7
Georgia @ South Carolina by 14
Iowa State @ Iowa by 4
UCLA vs Texas by 14
Portland State @ Washington State by 14
Nebraska @ Fresno State by 10

Guess I'll trust the Vegas line on the Arkansas/Texas Tech game this weekend. I feel like our defense should show some improvement just by virtue of having another game's experience for all the new pieces (plus I feel good about getting Richards and Levi back at DT this week) and I just can't imagine our offense won't be better than they were in El Paso.

One of the most frustrating parts about being a Tech fan the last few years is that they consistently seem good enough to beat some really good teams if they would just clean up the mental issues but then they rarely seem to clean up the mental issues. 25 penalties already through two games and we've lost (or tied?) the turnover battle in 10 straight games.

UCF @ Missouri by 10
Boise State @ Connecticut by 7
Syracuse @ Central Michigan by 9
Louisville @ Virginia by 8
NC State @ South Florida by 9
Arkansas @ Texas Tech by 6
Iowa State @ Iowa by 10
UCLA vs Texas by 7
Portland State @ Washington State by 9
Nebraska @ Fresno State by 7

Texas was overrated in the polls when UCLA whipped us back in 2010. Now I feel UCLA is overrated and Texas will upset UCLA. Texas isn't a good team either, but UCLA looks just a little worse overall.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Texas was overrated in the polls when UCLA whipped us back in 2010. Now I feel UCLA is overrated and Texas will upset UCLA. Texas isn't a good team either, but UCLA looks just a little worse overall.

Plus your OL will have nearly tripled their total career starts since before the BYU game!

I can't believe they haven't fired June Jones yet. He clearly hasn't given a shit for the past 2-3 years now.

Breaking news: looks like he'll be "stepping down." Mike Leach to SMU rumors are already getting thrown around.

Ganhyun

UCF @ Missouri by 10
Syracuse @ Central Michigan by 6
Louisville @ Virginia by 6
Arkansas @ Texas Tech by 6
Iowa State @ Iowa by 10
UCLA vs Texas by 10
Portland State @ Washington State by 10