• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB Week 8: Biased Pollsters Prevent America from Experiencing Game of the Century.

Status
Not open for further replies.
CuXTXey.gif

-LSU and Florida demonstrating how softly SEC teams fall in the polls after being beaten by another SEC team.

It's that time of year again. The air is getting crisp, the leaves are turning red and golden, the SEC teams are beating each other into poll domination. Fall, the season made for football, and more importantly, footbaw. They may have lost the Civil War, but the south will rise again, or at least not fall very much in the polls.

In other news, there is a top 5 matchup next week featuring unbeatens FSU and Notre Dame. This would have been the greatest game of all time if FSU had been ranked number 1, but now we will just have to settle for an over-hyped College Game Day mid-season matchup. I hope everyone is looking forward to seeing a geriatric white man don the proud traditional garb of an American Indian nation.

Here's a New York Times write-up on the FSU football team:
Florida State is #2!

Let's take a deeper look at the phenomenon known as "The Law of Conservation of SEC Rankings" (and what happened to everyone else too):

Top 25 Recap:
1 Florida State (35) -Beat conference foe Syracuse (but not well enough) in a tune-up game for Notre Dame. Jameis Winston will start.
2 Auburn (23) -Auburn valiantly fell on their sword in a loss to Mississippi State knowing they would only fall four spots in the polls.
3 Mississippi State (2) -Mississippi State beat an SEC team ranked in the top 2 without resorting to scoring only field goals. Television viewers thank you.
3 Ole Miss -Beat the Aggies in front of the largest disappointed crowd in SEC history.
5 Baylor -Won in a thrilling 4th quarter for everyone except TCU.
6 Notre Dame -Struggled against a plucky North Carolina team after handing them 21 points off of bad turnovers. I know they were playing NC but somebody needs to tell Everett Golson that you don't dribble the ball in football.
7 Alabama -Almost Kiffen'd it to Arkansas but an extra point was the difference.
8 Michigan State -Dantonio's failed 4th quarter fake punt in Sparty territory helped Purdue get back in the game...right where Sparty wanted them. Win.
9 TCU -Blew a 21 point lead to Baylor. 'Nuff said.
10 Arizona -Lost to USC despite dressing several players in black and white.
11 Oklahoma -Oklahoma won the least cared about Red River Shootout of all time.
12 Oregon -Oregon's resurgence led to an easy win over perennial disappointment UCLA.
13 Georgia -No autographs were signed after Georgia's beatdown of Mizzou.
14 Texas A&M -Disappointed the largest crowd in SEC history.
15 Ohio State -Ate Papa John's in the comfort of their own homes.
16 Oklahoma State -Beat a "schematic advantage-less" Kansas.
17 Kansas State -Most people forgot that they had a bye.
18 UCLA -Losing to Oregon caused Mora to recreate the Godfather 2.
19 East Carolina -Took care of business against South Florida.
20 Arizona State -Threw no hail marys during Bye.
21 Nebraska -Bye
22 Georgia Tech -Lost at home to Duke in the first time in, like, forever.
23 Missouri -Got blanked by Georgia.
24 Utah -Must have had a BYE.
25 Stanford -Played Stanford football. Won.

AP and Coaches Poll
YfYed14.png

Notable Games

Thursday, October 16th
10:00 PM - 20 Utah at Oregon State

Saturday, October 18th
12:00 PM - 4 Baylor at West Virginia
12:00 PM - 14 Kansas State at 11 Oklahoma
12:00 PM - Iowa at Maryland
3:30 PM - 21 Texas A&M at 7 Alabama
3:30 PM - 8 Michigan State at Indiana
3:30 PM - Rutgers at 13 Ohio State
3:30 PM - 24 Clemson at Boston College
3:30 PM - UCLA at California
4:00 PM - 10 Georgia at Arkansas
4:00 PM - 15 Oklahoma State at 12 TCU
6:00 PM - Colorado at 22 USC
6:00 PM - 25 Marshall at Florida International
7:00 PM - Tennessee at 3 Ole Miss
7:30 PM - 19 Nebraska at Northwestern
8:00 PM - 5 Notre Dame at 2 Florida State
8:00 PM - Washington at 9 Oregon
10:30 PM - 23 Stanford at 17 Arizona State

TTK Presents GAF Pick Em's - "Impress the Selection Committee" Edition

GAF Pick'em Week 8 Games
*all games Saturday unless otherwise listed

(THU) Virginia Tech @ Pittsburgh by X
(THU) Utah @ Oregon State by X
Kansas State @ Oklahoma by X
Iowa @ Maryland by X
Virginia @ Duke by X
Texas A&M @ Alabama by X
UCLA @ California by X
Clemson @ Boston College by X
Oklahoma State @ TCU by X
Missouri @ Florida by X
Notre Dame @ Florida State by X
Stanford @ Arizona State by X

sabandad.0.gif

mora_1.0.0_standard_709.0.jpg

"You've broken my heart, Ulbrich.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I want to see a top 25 poll with both Duke and UK in it.
I wanna bowl game with UK where one of our defensive players gets away with s stomp and win on a last second hail mary to crush their souls from now until the end of time.

pxleyes

Banned
Can't wait for the NCAA to drop the hammer on FSU in a year or two. In the meantime you just have to hope FSU wides up and suspends Winston indefinitely.

KingGondo

Banned
This is the least optimistic I've been about a game in quite some time for OSU.

If we manage to hang around with TCU I'll be surprised.

andycapps

Another great "I don't have time for this shit" picture.

TwsQWVZ.jpg

Also, the Arky game this weekend is going to be a tough game for Georgia. They could have won the Bama game this weekend. In watching the highlights, Arky is very similar to us. They run block pretty well and obviously run the ball well. They're trying to outphysical opponents on offense, which is what we try to do as well. They have a pretty good defense as well. I see a lot of similarities on both sides of the ball.

In rushing offense, they're 11th in the country with 278.67 YPG, and we're 12th with 275.67 YPG. In scoring offense, we're 8th in the country with 43.2 PPG, and they're 20th with 39.3 PPG. They're 107 in passing offense, and we're 112. Neither ranking is surprising to me.

In scoring defense, we are quietly doing pretty well on that front at 13th in the country and giving up 18 PPG. They're at 57 and 23.8 PPG. We're 12th in rushing defense, giving up 101.67 YPG. Arky is 38th, giving up 127.17 YPG. We're 27th in passing defense, giving up 202 YPG. Arky is 78th, giving up 246.7 YPG.

Thing with Arkansas is that, they haven't won any of their big games this year. They lost badly to Auburn, lost to A&M in OT, and almost beat Bama. They're going to beat a top team this year, and I hope we're not it. This is a scary game, it's on the road and they're playing well. Of course, if we get Gurley back, I immediately feel substantially better about it.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Good things about this past weekend's soul crushing last minute loss to WVU -

1. Sideline passes!
2. Picked up a DT commit. Not a particularly highly recruited guy, but the staff clearly likes him as they've been on him for a long time already. This makes 11 total commitments for Tech with 7 of them being on the lines (3 DL, 4 OL) which is a pretty solid way to build a team.
3. 58,000+ in attendance even after one of the most disappointing starts to a season that I can remember. We've got 99 problems but lack of fan support ain't one.
4. The student section scored multiple tortilla hits on staff and players on the WVU sideline.
5. This awesome falling-down catch by Jakeem Grant.
tDBPLBZ.gif

6. Finding out that there is a Texas Tech Mariachi Ensemble when they played the halftime show.

Kacar

"stupid Rutgers"

That's some pretty "stupid" smack talk there. I expect better out of Ohio State.
Wasn't really meant to be smack talk.

But I do admit my smack talk usually leaves alot to be desired. I'm also glad I represent all of Ohio State. I'm moving up!

Knew it would happen just wasn't sure when. The media anointing another SEC team as #1 is the least surprising aspect of the season so far. I hope MSU can somehow remain undefeated and ahead of FSU until the playoff so FSU can put the SEC's team to shame again at the championship.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Another great "I don't have time for this shit" picture.

TwsQWVZ.jpg

Also, the Arky game this weekend is going to be a tough game for Georgia. They could have won the Bama game this weekend. In watching the highlights, Arky is very similar to us. They run block pretty well and obviously run the ball well. They're trying to outphysical opponents on offense, which is what we try to do as well. They have a pretty good defense as well. I see a lot of similarities on both sides of the ball.

In rushing offense, they're 11th in the country with 278.67 YPG, and we're 12th with 275.67 YPG. In scoring offense, we're 8th in the country with 43.2 PPG, and they're 20th with 39.3 PPG. They're 107 in passing offense, and we're 112. Neither ranking is surprising to me.

In scoring defense, we are quietly doing pretty well on that front at 13th in the country and giving up 18 PPG. They're at 57 and 23.8 PPG. We're 12th in rushing defense, giving up 101.67 YPG. Arky is 38th, giving up 127.17 YPG. We're 27th in passing defense, giving up 202 YPG. Arky is 78th, giving up 246.7 YPG.

Thing with Arkansas is that, they haven't won any of their big games this year. They lost badly to Auburn, lost to A&M in OT, and almost beat Bama. They're going to beat a top team this year, and I hope we're not it. This is a scary game, it's on the road and they're playing well. Of course, if we get Gurley back, I immediately feel substantially better about it.

Only thing of note that I noticed, was their RYPG. Before Alabama, they were at 317 ypg. So yay, we blew up that stat a chunk.

Now, yank the redshirt off one of the freshman centers, and take out Leon Brown, and perhaps Blake Sims. Can't play that horrible again.

Oh, Andy, if you didn't already know, this is Penn Wager's last season, he's retiring!

Dabo on Stoudt: "He didn’t take a snap at practice all week because of his shoulder. …He stepped up and came through for us today."

I'll be optimistic and assume this is the reason for a complete lack of offense. Hopefully he learns how to line up under center this week.

andycapps

Only thing of note that I noticed, was their RYPG. Before Alabama, they were at 317 ypg. So yay, we blew up that stat a chunk.

Now, yank the redshirt off one of the freshman centers, and take out Leon Brown, and perhaps Blake Sims. Can't play that horrible again.

Oh, Andy, if you didn't already know, this is Penn Wager's last season, he's retiring!

Okay you're making me feel better by the first section. And now you tell me that Penn Wagers is retiring?? That is great news. I assume you saw his blown call this weekend since it benefited Bama?

Take away the Tech game, though, and I think they go down to about 15.32 rushing YPG.

Okay, making me feel better.

Actually, 286 ypg. They about ran for 500 against Nichols State the third, esq.

Feeling much better. I'm still worried because that's what I do, and because they still have a good rushing offense and it's on the road. And because Gurley's fate is still up in the air, though I expect we'll hear news tonight or tomorrow on what UGA has found.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Okay you're making me feel better by the first section. And now you tell me that Penn Wagers is retiring?? That is great news. I assume you saw his blown call this weekend since it benefited Bama?

Okay, making me feel better.

Feeling much better. I'm still worried because that's what I do, and because they still have a good rushing offense and it's on the road. And because Gurley's fate is still up in the air, though I expect we'll hear news tonight or tomorrow on what UGA has found.

Code:
Date	Opponent	Surface	Result	Att	Yards	Avg.	TD
08/30/14	@ 6 Auburn	Grass	L 21-45	29	153	5.28	1
09/06/14	Nicholls St.	Turf	W 73-7	40	495	12.38	6
09/13/14	@ Texas Tech	Turf	W 49-28	68	438	6.44	7
09/20/14	Northern Ill.	Turf	W 52-14	45	212	4.71	3
09/27/14	+ 21 Texas A&M	Turf	L 28-35	47	285	6.06	3
10/11/14	7 Alabama	Turf	L 13-14	39	89	2.28	1
Totals	268	1672	6.24	21

If you want to know the actual breakdown, there's the games Arkansas has ran up against.

Texas Tech's run defensive games:
Code:
08/30/14	Central Ark.	Turf	W 42-35	54	178	3.30	3
09/06/14	@ UTEP	Turf	W 30-26	53	268	5.06	3
09/13/14	Arkansas	Turf	L 28-49	68	438	6.44	7
09/25/14	@ 15 Oklahoma St.	Turf	L 35-45	42	158	3.76	2
10/04/14	@ 14 Kansas St.	Turf	L 13-45	50	245	4.90	2
10/11/14	West Virginia	Turf	L 34-37	50	249	4.98	2
Totals	317	1536	4.85	19

Alabama's Run Defensive games
Code:
08/30/14	+ West Virginia	Turf	W 33-23	24	28	1.17	0
09/06/14	Fla. Atlantic	Grass	W 41-0	24	57	2.38	0
09/13/14	Southern Miss.	Grass	W 52-12	18	56	3.11	0
09/20/14	Florida	Grass	W 42-21	27	107	3.96	1
10/04/14	@ 3 Mississippi	Turf	L 17-23	32	76	2.38	0
10/11/14	@ Arkansas	Turf	W 14-13	39	89	2.28	1
Totals	164	413	2.52	2

Auburn's run defensive games.
Code:
08/30/14	Arkansas	Grass	W 45-21	29	153	5.28	1
09/06/14	San Jose St.	Grass	W 59-13	45	65	1.44	0
09/18/14	@ 14 Kansas St.	Turf	W 20-14	30	40	1.33	2
09/27/14	Louisiana Tech	Grass	W 45-17	33	105	3.18	2
10/04/14	LSU	Grass	W 41-7	36	138	3.83	1
10/11/14	@ 1 Mississippi St.	Grass	L 23-38	44	223	5.07	4
Totals	217	724	3.34	10

Texas A&M's run defensive games
Code:
08/28/14	@ South Carolina	Grass	W 52-28	22	67	3.05	0
09/06/14	Lamar	Grass	W 73-3	38	90	2.37	0
09/13/14	Rice	Grass	W 38-10	55	240	4.36	0
09/20/14	@ Southern Methodist	Turf	W 58-6	42	102	2.43	0
09/27/14	+ Arkansas	Turf	W 35-28	47	285	6.06	3
10/04/14	@ 1 Mississippi St.	Grass	L 31-48	50	280	5.60	5
10/11/14	3 Mississippi	Grass	L 20-35	35	160	4.57	2
Totals	289	1224	4.24	10

Choose and decide, is Arkansas run offense for real, or did they run up a ton on teams that can't stop the run?

Just from looking at Alabama's, teams decide early on, to not bother running, it doesn't work. Much easier to pass.

Can I ask, how do you feel about Georgia's pass defense? Because Alabama's is almost identical, and it feels like it's a barely contained water leak.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Texas is the best 2-4 team in the country!

This is actually probably true, sadly

Super tough loss to Oklahoma, but you have to feel good about the direction of the team.

30 yards of offense given up in the first half is salty against anyone, but especially a pretty decent (though, not top 15) OU team. Like the fight the team showed when they went down by 3 scores. Mack Brown teams would have rolled over and been blown out at that point.

Offense looks good in fits and starts. 4 dumb mistakes cost us the game:

1. Kick off for TD - we need a new special teams coach badly, our current one has no experience in ST and it shows.
2. Pick 6 - Swoopes one bad decision the whole day.
3. Fumble on 3rd and goal cost us 4 points that would have given us a tie.
4. Bad management on time outs so we had 1 left late in the game.
4a - like 8 thousand false start penalties.

Similar situation to the Baylor game. A few dumb mistakes cost us a shot at taking down Baylor. Same thing with UCLA. A bit more discipline and Texas could be a 5-1 team looking pretty nasty. Hopefully dumb mistakes get corrected and we can make a bowl for just practice if nothing.

We're getting there. Rough schedule this season may mean it doesn't show up on the W and L, but feeling good about this team come 2016 as a real contender to make some noise.

I hope Charlie isn't afraid to make staff adjustments when needed. The old school offense Wickline is running won't cut it in the Big 12, so I wouldn't mind a new OC to start 2015. Do we even have a special teams coach? We need one of those pretty badly too. Defense is fine, as expected with Charlie's tenure

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
I hope Charlie isn't afraid to make staff adjustments when needed. The old school offense Wickline is running won't cut it in the Big 12, so I wouldn't mind a new OC to start 2015. Do we even have a special teams coach? We need one of those pretty badly too. Defense is fine, as expected with Charlie's tenure

Wickline's offense is a product of needing ball control to maintain a solid defense.

I think the offensive gameplan is totally fine, we just aren't executing well right now:

1) Oline is terrible because everyone was dismissed or blew their knees out.
2) Starting QB isn't totally ready to go.

Once 1 and 2 are cleared up (with Wickline and Watson around, I feel good about both) it'll be ok. In fact, both of those showed flashes of working really well against OU. Swoopes is looking off defenders and checking down more often, only really started to panick when the pocket collapsed a few times. O-line did reasonably well in spurts.

I think basically all of our issues will be fixed with time except for Special Teams. Something major needs to change there.

Jimbo Fisher rallies to Winston's defense

"None," Fisher answered when asked about his level of concern Winston could miss games.

Asked why he felt so confident, Fisher replied, "I know the facts of the case. The facts haven't changed in the case. We know the report and know everything out there. There's nothing new out there. We've been through this."

Winston was not criminally charged in December 2013 following an investigation by Willie Meggs, the state attorney for the Second Judicial Circuit. However, the Department of Education's Office of Civil Rights is investigating Florida State's handling of the case and whether the school properly carried out its mandatory Title IX responsibilities.

Fisher was emotional during his weekly news conference Monday when defending Winston. His support of Winston has not waned over the past year and he said Monday, "We believe in him 100 percent."

"Read the reports and read what's there," Fisher said. "The facts are the facts. I see stories written that don't have all the facts and taint them toward their side. This country is based on being innocent until proven guilty, not guilty until proven innocent. I don't want [any victims] ... but there is no victim because there was no crime. We're [publicly] convicting a guy over things that are not true based on evidence. There is no evidence."

http://espn.go.com/college-football...dent-quarterback-jameis-winston-not-suspended

KingGondo

Banned
I'm sad that Wickline isn't around anymore.

I'm extremely curious to see what he would have been able to wring out of our current OL, because they are atrocious right now. Can't run block for shit and aren't much better at pass-blocking.

I'm sure Jimbo has very intimate (pun totally intended) knowledge of what went down. I imagine he is privy to all the information that Winston's lawyer is, which to him seems to be enough information to be confident enough to not bench Winston.

I also think it's telling that the accuser has a new lawyer, some guy out in Colorado now. Her original lawyer probably did more to harm her case than anything else by a long shot, especially if the news of her attempting to extort a cash settlement in exchange for media silence is true.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom