• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB Week 8: Biased Pollsters Prevent America from Experiencing Game of the Century.

Status
Not open for further replies.

andycapps

Code:
Date	Opponent	Surface	Result	Att	Yards	Avg.	TD
08/30/14	@ 6 Auburn	Grass	L 21-45	29	153	5.28	1
09/06/14	Nicholls St.	Turf	W 73-7	40	495	12.38	6
09/13/14	@ Texas Tech	Turf	W 49-28	68	438	6.44	7
09/20/14	Northern Ill.	Turf	W 52-14	45	212	4.71	3
09/27/14	+ 21 Texas A&M	Turf	L 28-35	47	285	6.06	3
10/11/14	7 Alabama	Turf	L 13-14	39	89	2.28	1
Totals	268	1672	6.24	21

If you want to know the actual breakdown, there's the games Arkansas has ran up against.

Texas Tech's run defensive games:
Code:
08/30/14	Central Ark.	Turf	W 42-35	54	178	3.30	3
09/06/14	@ UTEP	Turf	W 30-26	53	268	5.06	3
09/13/14	Arkansas	Turf	L 28-49	68	438	6.44	7
09/25/14	@ 15 Oklahoma St.	Turf	L 35-45	42	158	3.76	2
10/04/14	@ 14 Kansas St.	Turf	L 13-45	50	245	4.90	2
10/11/14	West Virginia	Turf	L 34-37	50	249	4.98	2
Totals	317	1536	4.85	19

Alabama's Run Defensive games
Code:
08/30/14	+ West Virginia	Turf	W 33-23	24	28	1.17	0
09/06/14	Fla. Atlantic	Grass	W 41-0	24	57	2.38	0
09/13/14	Southern Miss.	Grass	W 52-12	18	56	3.11	0
09/20/14	Florida	Grass	W 42-21	27	107	3.96	1
10/04/14	@ 3 Mississippi	Turf	L 17-23	32	76	2.38	0
10/11/14	@ Arkansas	Turf	W 14-13	39	89	2.28	1
Totals	164	413	2.52	2

Auburn's run defensive games.
Code:
08/30/14	Arkansas	Grass	W 45-21	29	153	5.28	1
09/06/14	San Jose St.	Grass	W 59-13	45	65	1.44	0
09/18/14	@ 14 Kansas St.	Turf	W 20-14	30	40	1.33	2
09/27/14	Louisiana Tech	Grass	W 45-17	33	105	3.18	2
10/04/14	LSU	Grass	W 41-7	36	138	3.83	1
10/11/14	@ 1 Mississippi St.	Grass	L 23-38	44	223	5.07	4
Totals	217	724	3.34	10

Texas A&M's run defensive games
Code:
08/28/14	@ South Carolina	Grass	W 52-28	22	67	3.05	0
09/06/14	Lamar	Grass	W 73-3	38	90	2.37	0
09/13/14	Rice	Grass	W 38-10	55	240	4.36	0
09/20/14	@ Southern Methodist	Turf	W 58-6	42	102	2.43	0
09/27/14	+ Arkansas	Turf	W 35-28	47	285	6.06	3
10/04/14	@ 1 Mississippi St.	Grass	L 31-48	50	280	5.60	5
10/11/14	3 Mississippi	Grass	L 20-35	35	160	4.57	2
Totals	289	1224	4.24	10

Choose and decide, is Arkansas run offense for real, or did they run up a ton on teams that can't stop the run?

Just from looking at Alabama's, teams decide early on, to not bother running, it doesn't work. Much easier to pass.

Can I ask, how do you feel about Georgia's pass defense? Because Alabama's is almost identical, and it feels like it's a barely contained water leak.
Those stats bear out what you're saying. Won't stop me from worrying as always.

Georgia's pass defense is quietly getting better. They moved Brendan Langley back to DB and he played great on the outside, which freed Swann up to play the Star. Pruitt favors having a DB play that position rather than the hybrid LB rangy guy that Grantham liked. I think Pruitt's philosophy there works out better for the college game and with how many spread teams are out there now.

Honestly, Mizzou is not as good as their ranking indicated, but Georgia's defense was stifling on Saturday. I have to give Pruitt a lot of credit for coaching them up and making adjustments during the game. Very happy with him so far. Those guys were in the right positions and they were making plays on the ball. The latter was not happening earlier in the season.

This last game was huge for confidence on the defense. I expect them to build on it, though of course there will be some blown plays still. But the defense is trending positive, IMO.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
I'm sure Jimbo has very intimate (pun totally intended) knowledge of what went down. I imagine he is privy to all the information that Winston's lawyer is, which to him seems to be enough information to be confident enough to not bench Winston.

I also think it's telling that the accuser has a new lawyer, some guy out in Colorado now. Her original lawyer probably did more to harm her case than anything else by a long shot, especially if the news of her attempting to extort a cash settlement in exchange for media silence is true.

Well, I guess they shared more information with Jimbo than the University Investigators who they stonewalled.

Paches

https://twitter.com/ChristianCaple/status/521763841177161728

Asked a Pac-12 spokesperson about potential of Josh Perkins suspension being overturned. His response:

Bz2tctZIMAAathw.png:large

Josh Perkins half game suspension stands after the horrific call. Pac-12 claims it can't overrule the video crew after the game, even if they are monumentally wrong.

They are literally the most inept and ineffective officiating crew in the history of sport in our solar system.

Yeah...FOOTBALL.

UVaDuke.gif

Haven't been this excited for a game since SJSU played Fresno.

No one picked the Wahoos to be leading the Coastal division after 6 games. This game will tell if they're pretenders or contenders.

UCF has yet to lose a conference game in the American so far. 10-0. I'm hoping we don't stumble vs Tulane on Sat. Really need to win out and meet up with ECU with just the current 2 losses on the season.

Also, the Arky game this weekend is going to be a tough game for Georgia.

Arkansas will defeat Georgia I think, definitely putting money on hthem

Choose and decide, is Arkansas run offense for real, or did they run up a ton on teams that can't stop the run?

Just from looking at Alabama's, teams decide early on, to not bother running, it doesn't work. Much easier to pass.

Can I ask, how do you feel about Georgia's pass defense? Because Alabama's is almost identical, and it feels like it's a barely contained water leak.

hey lonestar, where did you get the stats from??

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
I hate bye weeks. Thank goodness Nebraska is playing this week so I can watch 12 hours of football instead of 9!

Huskers have a decent shot at moving up 3 or 4 spots with a win this week. More with weird upsets.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Yeah...FOOTBALL.

UVaDuke.gif

Haven't been this excited for a game since SJSU played Fresno.

No one picked the Wahoos to be leading the Coastal division after 6 games. This game will tell if they're pretenders or contenders.

And I will be there. UVA is the toughest team left on the schedule, not saying Duke can't lose to the other teams, but if we're healthy, I 'll take Duke vs Syracuse, Pitt, Wake and UNC. VT's offense is inconsistent but UVA is the real deal.

pxleyes

Banned
Now, there's no evidence he did anything and I'm sure FSU will investigate thoroughly before sweeping it under the rug.

Pay the athletes already
If I had a daughter, oh wait I am having one, I'd tell her to take responsibility for her actions. (Actually had an FSU fan tell me that tonight)

totally agree on paying players. These autograph issues shouldn't be issues. That said, follow the damn rules. I feel the same way about weed in sports. For now, you know the rules you have to follow, so do it. You aren't winning anything by being a martyr.

so supposedly there is 900 pieces of autographed Winston stuff, 400 of them being jerseys. I'm sure it was just for kids in the stands.

Also Jimbo Fisher is a fucking colossal idiot.

If I had a daughter, oh wait I am having one, I'd tell her to take responsibility for her actions. (Actually had an FSU fan tell me that tonight)

totally agree on paying players. These autograph issues shouldn't be issues. That said, follow the damn rules. I feel the same way about weed in sports. For now, you know the rules you have to follow, so do it. You aren't winning anything by being a martyr.

weed is banned substance as it can be used as a masking agent for other PEDs, I think.

Good things about this past weekend's soul crushing last minute loss to WVU -

1. Sideline passes!

2. Picked up a DT commit. Not a particularly highly recruited guy, but the staff clearly likes him as they've been on him for a long time already. This makes 11 total commitments for Tech with 7 of them being on the lines (3 DL, 4 OL) which is a pretty solid way to build a team.
3. 58,000+ in attendance even after one of the most disappointing starts to a season that I can remember. We've got 99 problems but lack of fan support ain't one.
4. The student section scored multiple tortilla hits on staff and players on the WVU sideline.
5. This awesome falling-down catch by Jakeem Grant.
tDBPLBZ.gif

6. Finding out that there is a Texas Tech Mariachi Ensemble when they played the halftime show.

Thanks for this post. I've needed something--anything--to make me smile about this season.

I do like the defensive improvement that can be seen week-to-week. That's something. Just can't get over Webb's inconsistency and tendency to stare down Marquez like a long lost love across a crowded room. And the dropped passes. Lord, the dropped passes.

Texas currently sits at 2-4, Texas Tech currently sits at 2-4. Cheapest ticket for Texas @ Texas Tech at stubhub.com is $125. Before the season started, tickets were right at $100 for that game. As someone who was holding out to buy a ticket for the game, that's not what I was hoping would happen

GAF Pick'em Week 8 Games
*all games Saturday unless otherwise listed

(THU) Virginia Tech @ Pittsburgh by X
(THU) Utah @ Oregon State by X
Kansas State @ Oklahoma by X
Iowa @ Maryland by X
Virginia @ Duke by X
Texas A&M @ Alabama by X
UCLA @ California by X
Clemson @ Boston College by X
Oklahoma State @ TCU by X
Missouri @ Florida by X
Notre Dame @ Florida State by X
Stanford @ Arizona State by X

Last week's results are coming hopefully tomorrow. I would've done them today but it was way too emotional for me. I know, I know, Yahoo is a cat person, never would've happened, etc.

We put our dog down today. She was a wonderful dog, always happy to see everyone, friendly with everyone to a fault. I don't think she knew she was a dog for most of her life. She was smart, mischievous, playful and loyal. I'm really, really going to miss her. Saying goodbye to her today was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do.

From a little puppy...

To her last day:

Sorry for going all OT on you guys, again. Back to your regularly scheduled programming.

GAF Pick'em Week 8 Games

(THU) Virginia Tech @ Pittsburgh by 4
(THU) Utah @ Oregon State by 4
Kansas State @ Oklahoma by 4
Iowa @ Maryland by 4
Virginia @ Duke by 4
Texas A&M @ Alabama by 4
UCLA @ California by 4
Clemson @ Boston College by 4
Oklahoma State @ TCU by 4
Missouri @ Florida by 4
Notre Dame @ Florida State by 4
Stanford @ Arizona State by 4

That last picture hit me in the feels because 2 years ago we put down our dog of 15 years and he looked to be about in the same physical condition as yours. Just like your dog, our dog had some ailments that kept accumulating over his last year, and we kept holding on until the ailments piled up to the point of suffering ( his diagnosis of internal bleeding was the final straw where we had to make the tough decision to put him to sleep ). Even though its going to sting for a while that he's not with you on Earth, his suffering is no more. You're going to have to keep reminding yourself that.

GAF Pick'em Week 8 Games

(THU) Virginia Tech @ Pittsburgh by 7
Kansas State @ Oklahoma by 9
Iowa @ Maryland by 7
Virginia @ Duke by 8
Texas A&M @ Alabama by 4
UCLA @ California by 7
Oklahoma State @ TCU by 9
Missouri @ Florida by 4
Notre Dame @ Florida State by 7

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Sorry to hear about your dog TTK, those pictures hit me in the feels. They reminded me of the old childhood family dog, miss her to this day. :/

Losing a pet is really tough, hang in there!

andycapps

Hang in there TTK. It's rough losing a pet. Haven't had to put any of ours down, though our oldest cat (my wife's) is 11. Our boxer is 6. I won't like it when he passes, at all.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I'm going to believe your dog is in a flowery field chasing bunnies and taking nice sun baths and scratching her back in the grass.

andycapps

Winston stuff is child's play compared to what is going on over at Bama!!!

They're both crazy. 900 pieces of signed memorabilia is insane. I know Winston has a generous heart and is doing it for the kids, but that's a really stand-up thing to do all that for free.

cdyhybrid

Sorry TTK. We lost our pup a few months ago. It's rough but just remember that you gave your dog a great life and remember the good times.

KingGondo

Banned
Texas currently sits at 2-4, Texas Tech currently sits at 2-4. Cheapest ticket for Texas @ Texas Tech at stubhub.com is $125. Before the season started, tickets were right at $100 for that game. As someone who was holding out to buy a ticket for the game, that's not what I was hoping would happen
What do you expect?

This is their Super Bowl.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
(THU) Virginia Tech @ Pittsburgh by 7
(THU) Utah @ Oregon State by 10
Kansas State @ Oklahoma by 7
Iowa @ Maryland by 11
Virginia @ Duke by 7
Texas A&M @ Alabama by 17
UCLA @ California by 13
Clemson @ Boston College by 5
Oklahoma State @ TCU by 10
Missouri @ Florida by 7
Notre Dame @ Florida State by 14
Stanford @ Arizona State by 7

(THU) Virginia Tech @ Pittsburgh by 10
(THU) Utah @ Oregon State by 10
Kansas State @ Oklahoma by 10
Iowa @ Maryland by 1000
Virginia @ Duke by 10
Texas A&M @ Alabama by 10
UCLA @ California by 10
Clemson @ Boston College by 10
Oklahoma State @ TCU by 10
Missouri @ Florida by 10
Notre Dame @ Florida State by 10
Stanford @ Arizona State by 10

cdyhybrid

Kansas State @ Oklahoma by 10
Iowa @ Maryland by 4
Virginia @ Duke by 4
Texas A&M @ Alabama by 10
UCLA @ California by 4
Clemson @ Boston College by 7
Oklahoma State @ TCU by 4
Missouri @ Florida by 4

Meier

If you're interested, I've got two tickets (pretty good ones) to the WVU game next month available. It's happening during Fun Fun Fun Fest, so we won't be able to go. They're LASP, but I assume you kept your student ID.. they never really check anyway though. I'd sell em to ya at face value. Let me know.

KingGondo

Banned
My condolences, TTK. Looks like a sweet dog.

Kansas State @ Oklahoma by 4
Iowa @ Maryland by 4
Virginia @ Duke by 4
Texas A&M @ Alabama by 17
UCLA @ California by 4
Oklahoma State @ TCU by 4 (NO confidence in this one but I can't pick against my Pokes)
Missouri @ Florida by 4

Slo

Gophers have three straight chances at bowl eligibility before the B1G Boys come to town and start mouth fucking us. Hell, with any luck we could wind up with 7 wins!

Draxal

Jesus Christ, Jimbo. Shut the hell up.

Just give some canned line about letting the process play out and leave it at that. We know boosters are forcing you to publicly defend this douche.

We all know who runs the show in Tallahassee at this point.

Gophers have three straight chances at bowl eligibility before the B1G Boys come to town and start mouth fucking us. Hell, with any luck we could wind up with 7 wins!

I heard Kill on Sirius/XM today likable dude but man he has marbles in his mouth, and you guys are better than Wisconsin if Stave doesn't fix his issues and are better than Iowa.

Lunar15

Well, I can guarantee you that Driskel won't be caught selling autographed memorabilia.

The joke here is that no one would want it.

The second joke here isOH GOD WHEN CAN WE PLAY GRIER

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom