• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB Week 8: Biased Pollsters Prevent America from Experiencing Game of the Century.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Texas currently sits at 2-4, Texas Tech currently sits at 2-4. Cheapest ticket for Texas @ Texas Tech at stubhub.com is $125. Before the season started, tickets were right at $100 for that game. As someone who was holding out to buy a ticket for the game, that's not what I was hoping would happen

We managed to hit 97% capacity for West Virginia after a 7 game in conference losing streak and 3 blowout losses. Tickets for games against schools the fan base actually cares about are going to be even tougher to get. This isn't Miami.

Winston stuff is child's play compared to what is going on over at Bama!!!

Not according to that NY Times article. I couldn't give less of a shit about a player dealing weed. But players attacking women...

I also have a daughter and I had an FSU friend actually tell me, recently, that the girl should've been happy to be having sex with a FSU player.

cdyhybrid

Not according to that NY Times article. I couldn't give less of a shit about a player dealing weed. But players attacking women...

I also have a daughter and I had an FSU friend actually tell me, recently, that the girl should've been happy to be having sex with a FSU player.

SMFH

KingGondo

Banned
We managed to hit 97% capacity for West Virginia after a 7 game in conference losing streak and 3 blowout losses. Tickets for games against schools the fan base actually cares about are going to be even tougher to get. This isn't Miami.
What percentage of those "fans" are just women using binoculars to ogle Kliff the whole game?

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion

Sounds like it's time to punish the football culture in Tallahonville.

KingGondo

Banned
Their money is as good as anybody else's. ; )
Oh god, that reminds me.

I sit near the visitor's sideline at OSU home games. Wes Welker was at the OSU-Tech game a few weeks back, and there was a woman in front of us (not a season ticket holder, hadn't seen her before) who must have taken *hundreds* of pics and videos of him over the course of the game.

He wasn't even doing anything interesting, just standing and talking to coaches/staff.

Her husband/bf/so did not seem amused, but he didn't say anything either.

If you're interested, I've got two tickets (pretty good ones) to the WVU game next month available. It's happening during Fun Fun Fun Fest, so we won't be able to go. They're LASP, but I assume you kept your student ID.. they never really check anyway though. I'd sell em to ya at face value. Let me know.

I appreciate it, but I probably won't be coming up for that one. But yeah I keep my student ID in my wallet because many movie theaters offer a student discount with valid ID, including our local theater where you can get in for $5.50 with a student ID. I'm holding onto that ID as long as I can

Their money is as good as anybody else's. ; )

Spoken like a true AD.

KingGondo

Banned
I do wonder how much of a leash Kingsbury has if they don't rapidly turn things around in Lubbock.

Are they willing to pay $3.5 million/year to be a fringe bowl team as long as he puts asses in the seats?

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
I do wonder how much of a leash Kingsbury has if they don't rapidly turn things around in Lubbock.

Are they willing to pay $3.5 million/year to be a fringe bowl team as long as he puts asses in the seats?

I think I've posted about it before, but IMO he's going to have a pretty long leash just to build some kind of stability. I think that's why they gave him an extension after last season; gives him the peace of mind of knowing that he's not coaching for his job next season and gives recruits peace of mind knowing that the guys that are recruiting him will most likely be there for the foreseeable future.

Things are certainly going a bit worse than hoped for right now but everybody involved in the actual hiring process knew that hiring a head coach as young as he is was going to involve some growing pains. This was going to be a pretty long term hire from the get-go IMO.

Sorry to hear about your dog, TTK. My wife and i are looking to adopt a puppy right now, and having to put one down is absolutely the thing I'm the least looking forward to.

(THU) Virginia Tech @ Pittsburgh by 4
(THU) Utah @ Oregon State by 4
Kansas State @ Oklahoma by 4
Iowa @ Maryland by 4
Virginia @ Duke by 4
Texas A&M @ Alabama by 4
UCLA @ California by 4
Clemson @ Boston College by 4
Oklahoma State @ TCU by 4
Missouri @ Florida by 4
Notre Dame @ Florida State by 4
Stanford @ Arizona State by 4

Question: who's the starting QB for Florida right now?

KingGondo

Banned
I think I've posted about it before, but IMO he's going to have a pretty long leash just to build some kind of stability. I think that's why they gave him an extension after last season; gives him the peace of mind of knowing that he's not coaching for his job next season and gives recruits peace of mind knowing that the guys that are recruiting him will most likely be there for the foreseeable future.

Things are certainly going a bit worse than hoped for right now but everybody involved in the actual hiring process knew that hiring a head coach as young as he is was going to involve some growing pains. This was going to be a pretty long term hire from the get-go IMO.
That all sounds nice, but it's a lot easier to say that now than in a couple of years if the team is still hovering between 4-7 wins per season.

It'll be interesting to see if they can get a decent recruiting class with a probable 4 or 5-win season this year.

AntoneM

GAF Pick'em Week 8 Games
*all games Saturday unless otherwise listed

(THU) Virginia Tech @ Pittsburgh by 4
(THU) Utah @ Oregon State by 4
Kansas State @ Oklahoma by 4
Iowa @ Maryland by 4
Virginia @ Duke by 6
Texas A&M @ Alabama by 9
UCLA @ California by 9
Clemson @ Boston College by 6
Oklahoma State @ TCU by 6
Missouri @ Florida by 4
Notre Dame @ Florida State by 4

Bama over aTm is the lock of the year!

Meier

I appreciate it, but I probably won't be coming up for that one. But yeah I keep my student ID in my wallet because many movie theaters offer a student discount with valid ID, including our local theater where you can get in for $5.50 with a student ID. I'm holding onto that ID as long as I can.

Let me know if you change your mind. I'll probably put them up on CL shortly but am trying to see if anyone I know is interested. I think the face is $75 or $80 but I could take a little less for the pair if price is an issue. Rather a UT fan get them for sure.

Kingsbury will get fired when he starts stress eating and loses his six-pack.

We've already seen a preview.

dyqagvvdotjpx50s5qub.gif

KingGondo

Banned
Kingsbury will get fired when he starts stress eating and loses his six-pack.

We've already seen a preview.

dyqagvvdotjpx50s5qub.gif
Based on this gif, it appears that rock bottom is when you become the head coach at Kansas.*

*I would not have made this joke if we had lost to Kansas this past weekend.

(THU) Virginia Tech @ Pittsburgh by 10
(THU) Utah @ Oregon State by 17
Kansas State @ Oklahoma by 7
Iowa @ Maryland by 15
Virginia @ Duke by 4
Texas A&M @ Alabama by 5
UCLA @ California by 17
Clemson @ Boston College by 36
Oklahoma State @ TCU by 10
Missouri @ Florida by 42
Notre Dame @ Florida State by 11

Kacar

I've been to Stupid, New Jersey, site of the Stupid, New Jersey Rutgers Satellite campus.

It's a pretty smart town.
Yes, stupid Football Rutgers, smart School Rutgers.

I havnt been to Jersey so wont comment on the presence of possible stupidness of the area.

Lonestar

SEC Commish Mike Slive will retire next year, cites health concerns as he's undergoing treatment for Prostate Cancer.

I nominate Fake Dan Beebe as his replacement.

Lonestar

Fake Dan Beebe ‏@DanBeebe 3m3 minutes ago
I understand the SEC is looking for a new commissioner. If only a brilliant, handsome, vibrant candidate were available—OH WAIT. #Beebe4SEC

Fake Dan Beebe ‏@DanBeebe 1m1 minute ago
SEC PLATFORM #1: No Nebraska. Not now, not ever. #Beebe4SEC

Fake Dan Beebe ‏@DanBeebe 38s38 seconds ago
SEC PLATFORM #2: If you beat Texas, you get a million dollars. If Texas beats you, you're out of the conference immediately. #Beebe4SEC

Fake Dan Beebe ‏@DanBeebe 1m1 minute ago
SEC PLATFORM #3: If we misplace Missouri's paperwork and all of a sudden they're not members anymore, that's okay. #Beebe4SEC

Fake Dan Beebe ‏@DanBeebe 23s23 seconds ago
SEC PLATFORM #4: Whatever Les is on, he's gotta share. #Beebe4SEC

Value you can marginally trust
Integrity you can sometimes understand
Solidarity only when necessary
FDB, for your Commissioner consideration.

Lonestar

One guy from Nashville claims Greg Sankey, a Miss State alum. Someone else mentioned the SEC's #2 guy is an Alabama alum, Mark Womack (he's the one making the schedules :lol)

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
That all sounds nice, but it's a lot easier to say that now than in a couple of years if the team is still hovering between 4-7 wins per season.

It'll be interesting to see if they can get a decent recruiting class with a probable 4 or 5-win season this year.

I'm not too worried at this point. One season isn't a trend, and even ol' Pine Box managed 2 out of 3 winning seasons and he apparently hated everything about being there (speaking of Tuberville, apparently his name has already been floated around for the SMU job :jnc). Again, I came into the Kingsbury hire expecting some rocky times, so we're not yet truly outside of expectations at this point.

::edit::
Tuberville is actually a good counterpoint. I was much more concerned when he struggled in season 2 because he wasn't "supposed to" do that. He was the guy that went undefeated in the SEC and inherited a good team so he shouldn't have been struggling like he was. Kingsbury was hired with no such experience and a team with a lot more holes and depth issues so his leash will be much longer imo.
::/edit::

Recruiting thus far hasn't really suffered at all. Had some really highly recruited guys in town for WVU and have some more planned for KU. UT of course should have a good crop as well but I haven't paid as much attention to visits that far out.

Recruiting generally has a season of lag anyway, though. Outside of teams that are on really huge peaks or valleys (Mississippi State being one of the former, for example) it's often the next season's recruiting class that is affected more by the current season's results, so a bad 2014 football season for Tech will probably show more in the 2016 recruiting class than the 2015 recruiting class. A lot also depends on who you get early, and for 2015 Tech got early commitments for both the offense (QB Stidham) and defense (DT Fehoko), both of which have been invaluable in both keeping the class together and recruiting other highly rated players.

Kevtones

To be fair, Oregon gave up 12 sacks and Mariota probably avoids about double that.

UCLA, the team with arguably the best front 7, had zero.

Also UW is stinky and their women uncouth.

Draxal

I think the SEC will either tap Britton Banowsky or Mike Aresco. Swofford and Delaney are tooo old.

Banowsky would be the second Cusa commissioner that they have poached.

KingGondo

Banned
An interesting case will be Tyron Johnson. Both of our schools are in the final 5 for him (iirc, I don't obsess over recruiting). Getting him along with Stidham would give Tech the core of a nice class. Kid looks really, really good from the tape I watched.

I just don't think the road to 8+ wins is as easy as it used to be for Tech. They'll will have a hard time consistently beating OU, Texas, Baylor, OSU, KSU (as long as Snyder breathes), and maybe even WVU/TCU in coming years unless they manage to get some transformative players... and that's hard to do without consistent success on the field. It's a chicken and egg problem. We needed Dez Bryant, Kendall Hunter, Zac Robinson, and then the lucky duo of Weeden (done playing baseball and dropped in right as Holgorsen came to be OC) and Blackmon (not even offered a scholarship by OU).

In other news, there are conflicting reports that Trevone Boykin might be out for 4-6 weeks after wrist surgery. If so, huge break for us.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
An interesting case will be Tyron Johnson. Both of our schools are in the final 5 for him (iirc, I don't obsess over recruiting). Getting him along with Stidham would give Tech the core of a nice class. Kid looks really, really good from the tape I watched.

Tyron Johnson spent a long time saying Tech was #1 (switched to Clemson iirc last I heard), and still seems REALLY high on Tech, but I'll believe we get a player out of Louisiana that has an LSU offer when I see it. Louisiana players are notoriously hard to get out of their state; not remarkably uncommon to see a guy pick a school like ULaLa over a smattering of P5 offers.

KingGondo

Banned
Gary Patterson says Boykin is fine.

Weird. Frogs O' War (the TCU SB Nation site that broke the original story) has some 'splainin' to do.

@FrogsOWar said:
Earlier today, we received faulty information regarding TCU, and quarterback Trevone Boykin.
Oops. Guess he's fine after all.

JCX

(THU) Virginia Tech @ Pittsburgh by 10
(THU) Utah @ Oregon State by 6
Kansas State @ Oklahoma by 11
Iowa @ Maryland by 6
Virginia @ Duke by 7
Texas A&M @ Alabama by 9
UCLA @ California by 8
Clemson @ Boston College by 11
Oklahoma State @ TCU by 8
Missouri @ Florida by 9