• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Charlie Hebdo publishes cartoon of drowned Syrian toddler, "Muslims sink"

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtb

Banned
It literally does. If its indistinguishable than its, by definition, not satire, its just the thing. Just making something awful that no-one can tell isn't supposed to be sincere isn't insightful

I understand the point you're making as it is one of my main frustrations with a lot of art these days; they perpetuate the very thing they claim to criticize. but I think that's a pretty low bar and one the cover clearly passes. Christians cannot literally walk on water. No one believes that because it is a verifiable fact. It is, therefore, pretty clearly a commentary. This isn't a subtle cartoon.

I dunno about poor taste. I think poor taste is sitting by while kids are literally drowning, not trying to confront people about that fact.

I agree that sitting by while people drown is really poor taste. And probably I should have said that the comics were arguably in poor taste, rather than definitely in poor taste.

From what I see, they're saying that Europe is Christian and as such doesn't give a shit about dying Muslim children.

Still comes off as using the crisis to make money. A bit opportunistic, and that's why I'm not too keen on it.

patapuf

I think what's lost on me here is how the drowned kid "works" for the satire represented here.

Like that image blew up in the media that much so it seems really contrary to the message to use that to "Society ignoring the drowning migrants" ?

I get that they're trying to point a finger at Europe/The government/whatever, but to me that seems so counter ot the point they're even trying to make.

"Hey recognise this extremely popular viral image that you're all ignoring!?"

This is how I feel, people care because it's Charlie Hebdo, not because there's anything of quality to see here.

Local politicans still argue they should only accept christian immigrants.

Mudcrab

Apart from the posts saying that Satire shouldn't cater the lowest common denominator. Which this does.

If it actually did cater to the lowest common denominator then the image would include a paragraph explaining what satire is and a lengthy explanation of why this fits into the definition of satire.

So what happened to Slovakia? Did they get the 100 christians they said they would take? If so, how did they know who was christian and who was muslim?

I agree that sitting by while people drown is really poor taste. And probably I should have said that the comics were arguably in poor taste, rather than definitely in poor taste.

Does the reality deserve more "tasteful" comics?

It's not that the topic is something trivial like retirement age or a highway expansion but people are dying for real.

So what happened to Slovakia? Did they get the 100 christians they said they would take? If so, how did they know who was christian and who was muslim?

a short look at the penis.

kirblar

If there's a line between depicting the definition boundary of Poe's Law, this cartoon sits right on top of it.
No, no it's not. The meaning is incredibly clear in these two cartoons- they're not pretending to celebrate the deaths of children- they're using the imagery to hit you out of your complacency and get you to pay attention to the issue.
Still comes off as using the crisis to make money. A bit opportunistic, and that's why I'm not too keen on it.
So we should just shut down any form of political commentary in newpapers/magazines/etc?

Its not that they're ignoring the actual image, it's that they've all seen the image yet continue to say no to migrants while proclaiming themselves good Christians.

I'm mostly talking about the McDonalds one. The Christian one is whatever.

I'm treating them as seperate cartoons.

Honestly that's the thing. These two cartoons, on the whole, really aren't that big of a deal. At all. Right up there with the kind of political cartoons you'll find in a throwaway newspaper, just with a dark twist.

But people are blowing it up, and now it's either all or nothing.

I do feel like a certain level of depth or talent makes me more comfortable and/or accepting of someone using hot button issues or sensitive imagery in their satire or comedy.

Like to me the "offensive" part here isn't that they're making fun of the kid/muslims or whatever, but that it comes across as a bit exploitative to use the imagery for what boils down to a really shallow attempt at making a point.

In a sense doesn't it make the cartoon essentially the same as people sharing photos of that kid on FB? "Oh look how awful" while proceeding to do nothing? I don't see how it elevates the conversation beyond what the photo itself already did.

(again, mostly talking about the mcdonalds one.)

Local politicans still argue they should only accept christian immigrants.

I don't have any feelings about the Jesus one, I at least get the purpose.

It's the McDonalds one that annoys me.

patapuf

From what I see, they're saying that Europe is Christian and as such doesn't give a shit about dying Muslim children.

You are a political and satirical magazine in Europe. What do you write about?

I don't know how it's in the US but this is the Page 1 story of pretty much the whole month so far.

wildfire

Banned

Satire isn't about copying and pasting what other people would do. Satire exposes the logical conclusions of their actions.

An anti-immigrant publication wouldn't create imagery like that. They would do everything to hype their values while excusing or ignoring the negatives. The negatives in this case would be the drowning child juxtaposed next to Europe being a commercial land of plenty or filled with awesome Christians.

Satire like the one in these articles forces these people to confront the ugly side of their marketing / image management.

Bossun

It literally does. If its indistinguishable than its, by definition, not satire, its just the thing. Just making something awful that no-one can tell isn't supposed to be sincere isn't insightful

I think the cover is just made to make you think (or feel bad) " I don't want to be that guy that is indifferent \ No I'm not that guy" and thus make you act or at least care about what's happening.

deli2000

obviously it doesn't, hence the thread

People not getting it doesn't automatically make something high art. Prank videos thrive on angry and confused responses for their comedy. Are they highbrow?

Let's face it, people are calling this highbrow are looking for some intellectual high ground, when really this is scraping the bottom of the barrel like most political cartoons. As I said, the point it makes is admirable, but the confused responses are coming from US posters lack of knowledge of the migrant crisis. The cartoon is pretty simple. I'm not going to pretend is isn't because of 5 posts at the beginning of the thread. If a person as dumb as me can get it after 10 seconds, it aint highbrow.

daviyoung

Banned
People don't get it doesn't automatically make something high art. Prank videos thrive on angry and confused responses for their comedy. Are they highbrow?

Let's face it, people are calling this highbrow are looking for some intellectual high ground, when really this is scraping the bottom of the barrel like most political cartoons. As I said, the point it makes is admirable, but the confused responses are coming from US posters lack of knowledge of the migrant crisis. The cartoon is pretty simple. I'm not going to pretend is isn't because of 5 posts at the beginning of the thread.

slow down, let me explain this

the cartoon is simple, great...it appeals to the lowest common denominator (of people who get the cartoon)

then there are people that didn't even get it at this level of simplicity

those people are the lowest common denominator

People not getting it doesn't automatically make something high art. Prank videos thrive on angry and confused responses for their comedy. Are they highbrow?

Let's face it, people are calling this highbrow are looking for some intellectual high ground, when really this is scraping the bottom of the barrel like most political cartoons. As I said, the point it makes is admirable, but the confused responses are coming from US posters lack of knowledge of the migrant crisis. The cartoon is pretty simple. I'm not going to pretend is isn't because of 5 posts at the beginning of the thread.

What is good satire?

Repeating saying that something is low tier doesn't really support your point in a significant way. It just make you appear like a try hard.

Apart from the posts saying that Satire shouldn't cater the lowest common denominator. Which this does.
1) Satire catering to the lowest common denominator would essentially just be spelling out the joke instead of letting the satire do it's work. This cartoon does not do that. It's even debatable to call it satire at that point.

2) Even so, expecting a piece of satirical comedy to not cater to the lowest common denominator and praising it for not doing so is not the same thing as calling it a masterpiece. There is a wide gulf between satirical comedic genius, and satirical comedy that doesn't spell out the punchline to it's audience. Most satirical comedy (And comedy in general) falls into this gulf, including this piece.

Does the reality deserve more "tasteful" comics?

It's not that the topic is something trivial like retirement age or a highway expansion but people are dying for real.

No, I agree with you! That's why I said that the comics are in poor taste, but still brilliant and hopefully eye-opening for some. The cartoons were in poor taste, but making cartoons in poor taste is called for in this situation.

Let's face it, people are calling this highbrow are looking for some intellectual high ground, when really this is scraping the bottom of the barrel like most political cartoons. As I said, the point it makes is admirable, but the confused responses are coming from US posters lack of knowledge of the migrant crisis. The cartoon is pretty simple. I'm not going to pretend is isn't because of 5 posts at the beginning of the thread. If a person as dumb as me can get it after 10 seconds, it aint highbrow.

Maybe you should make yet another post about how simple it is, perhaps this time it will be true.

MisterR

Let's face it, you're the one trying to climb on an intellectual high ground. It's no satirical masterpiece. It is fairly effective satire. Just because it's below your high standard of satire, doesn't really prove anything.

Placiibo

Banned
What's satirical here?

Satire: the use of humor, irony, exaggeration, or ridicule to expose and criticize people's stupidity or vices, particularly in the context of contemporary politics and other topical issues.

To me it's making fun of Christians who believe they walk on water...or maybe its just making fun of anyone with religious beliefs. the comic is blatantly ridiculous.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

So I guess no for profit news or social commentary organizations should discuss is. Any profit they see from ad revenue or copies sold is blood money.

deli2000

What is good satire?

Repeating saying that something is low tier doesn't really support your point in a significant way. It just make you appear like a try hard.

Good Satire doesn't equal high brow Satire. I'm not being a try hard about anything. There's a certain snobbery with people who read political cartoons that shouldn't exist. The fact that an idiot like me gets it petty much proves my point. I'm not deluded enough to think I'm above this sort of comedy.

A problem with satire is that you have to separate it's principles, which are high brow, from it's implementation. Which is often shocking and low brow.

Like one of the most famous lines in satire is, "who watches the watchmen." People understand why this is a satirical principle that you can apply to many different levels of society. But when the Roman Juvenal wrote it he was actually talking about how it's hard to stop your wife fucking other men because even if you hire a watchman to follow her who is going to stop the watchman fucking her.

Its not profound but I can post some really shallow political cartoons that are way more heavy handed then this one

It's not just that it isn't profound that's annoying me btw.

Like ... that McDonalds cartoon doesn't really add anything to the original photo, does it?

Just the original photo of a dead child washed up on the beach like that suggests a carelessness about the situation that it even got to that point. Adding that McDonalds sign to that image feels like explaining the joke.

commedieu

Banned
Its offensive. But so was the muhammed thing.

They really are just trolls. Fucked up... but thats about all you can say.

Thought it was offending the muslim community.

wildfire

Banned
This entire thread is satire.

People are declaring these comics as poor in taste and not the political conditions that inspired them. If you want to express your disgust at CH it should be because the point flew over your head. Otherwise your disgust should be for the people you know who inspired it, read it and will still make excuses for their behavior after being confronted.

Kama_1082

Banned
I'm not surprised that a number of posters dont understand the point and have to write walls of text to "try" or ask to understand it.

Kama_1082

Banned
This entire thread is satire.

People are declaring these comics as poor in taste and not the political conditions that inspired them. If you want to express your disgust at CH it should be because the point flew over your head. Otherwise your disgust should be for the people you know who inspired it, read it and will still make excuses for their behavior after being confronted.
Ding ding ding. Jesus Christ, people

It adds a pretty good deal. 2 for 1 with no coupon is pretty legit.

This makes me wonder if there's actually a McDonalds deal like that going on in France right now.

That'd at least explain what made them decide on that cartoon.

"Oh a kids deal, hey wasn't there something with a kid in the news".

commedieu

Banned
The trolls started a magazine and it's Charlie Hebdo. I'm learning so much today.

Am I part of a debate I dont know about..by saying they are trolls and not the political climate that accepts this?

I dont mean to use a word to trivialize the issue. But what I mean is it seems their motive to antagonize the muslim comnunity. At the magazine. Which surely represents an accepting culture of this.

Last time people came to defend their actions as free speach against fanatics. But it seems the call is coming from inside the house.

If people are downplaying by using the word troll, that wasnt my intention. Just catching up on toilet atm..

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I have never actually argued that it is not satire (although we argued about satire in the abstract), what I've said is that people assume that its satirical when similar cartoons that non-satirically express support for ugly but genuine sentiments aren't uncommon. It doesn't have to be funny, sure, absolutely agreed. But it does have to be satirical in this specific way? It might not just be some real ugliness?

This makes me wonder if there's actually a McDonalds deal like that going on in France right now.

That'd at least explain what made them decide on that cartoon.

"Oh a kids deal, hey wasn't there something with a kid in the news".

It's not that hard. Take 2 kids, for the price of one kid (read: dead)

There isn't much to discuss about that part of the satire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom