• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chibi-Robo! Photo Finder |OT| Relying on NostalJunk

maxcriden

Finally got home to download this!!

And wow, the graphics in this game are insane. Definitely up there with some of the best on the system IMO and I've only just started. Framerate isn't bothering me nearly as much as I thought it could too. Loving it so far. :D

Drago, would you be willing to share a bit more of what the game actually entails? The demo is very limited, all you do is snap a couple of silhouette film pictures and walk around the kitchen counter. That's really it. But from what I understand the real game is actually primarily minigames and other activities and secondarily picture taking. I'd be really interested if you or anyone else who has the game can provide a bit of a snapshot (please forgive the pun) of what the game is actually like.

Drago

Drago, would you be willing to share a bit more of what the game actually entails? The demo is very limited, all you do is snap a couple of silhouette film pictures and walk around the kitchen counter. That's really it. But from what I understand the real game is actually primarily minigames and other activities and secondarily picture taking. I'd be really interested if you or anyone else who has the game can provide a bit of a snapshot (please forgive the pun) of what the game is actually like.

Hm only just started myself but basically, you took a picture to put in the museum. After that, the job system opens up where you play minigames to help out with others, like in a regular Chibi Robo game. Your goal is to get enough Happy Points by doing well to spend on film to take pictures with.

I think that about covers it. So yeah, primarily the job minigames with photo taking secondary.

maxcriden

Hm only just started myself but basically, you took a picture to put in the museum. After that, the job system opens up where you play minigames to help out with others, like in a regular Chibi Robo game. Your goal is to get enough Happy Points by doing well to spend on film to take pictures with.

I think that about covers it. So yeah, primarily the job minigames with photo taking secondary.

Okay, cool. Thank you! I guess I'm just not too sure what to expect since I haven't play a Chibi Robo game before (I do plan to check out the previous games, they sound great). I guess I'll just continue to read impressions for now--I'd be interested to hear if people who played the demo are enjoying the game itself a lot more than the demo.

Tyeforce

I just started the game, but does anyone know if you can change the photos of the NostalJunk you make later? I didn't realize that the circle object was supposed to be a button. I took a photo of my Fit Meter but I'd like to change it to an actual button later if possible. If not I might just restart my game, lol.

Goli

You can also explore each location and clean them. Sometimes when exploring you may run into the inhabitants like Drake, some request things or ask you questions. You can also find stamps and Nostalduds scattered around, though I'm not sure what it is they do yet.

Drago

I guess I'll just continue to read impressions for now--I'd be interested to hear if people who played the demo are enjoying the game itself a lot more than the demo.
I skipped the demo entirely, so I wouldn't be able to help you there. :p

Does this have a miiverse page?
Yep. Every 3DS game going forward will have one.

I just started the game, but does anyone know if you can change the photos of the NostalJunk you make later? I didn't realize that the circle object was supposed to be a button. I took a photo of my Fit Meter but I'd like to change it to an actual button later if possible. If not I might just restart my game, lol.
99.9% sure you can rebuy the silhouette film and retake the picture.

neoflcl

I played the demo earlier today, and it was nifty! Aside from its predictably-small scale, first impressions were very good!

Regarding the framerate, it's not really an issue for me, personally. It's definitely less-than-stellar (sub-30fps a lot of the time), but I really don't think it affects the gameplay, as the pace is very relaxed. Framerate aside, the game seems to be a real looker, which... is actually a bit surprising, considering it's a Chibi-Robo game!

The demo was very brief, not amounting to much more than snapping a pic of my power outlet and cleaning up a few piles of dust. The post-demo "Look what you get with the full game!" video was actually pretty enticing, however! Above all, the game still seems to ooze with the series' signature charm, and that's really what I like most about Chibi-Robo!

I'm anticipating this one's reception to be a bit divisive, maybe. The same thing happened with Park Patrol on DS, after all!

Drago

Oh also, since someone asked, getting 100% accuracy with a shot lets you take cutouts with its silhouette film during shoots. Not exactly sure what it means yet but that's what the game tells me.

Gotta get 100% accuracy on everything. x_x

Kinsei

Banned
Make sure you check out every piece Nostaljunk you get in the museum, there could be a stamp stuck to it.

Enjoying the full game so far. I feel like the battery pick up makes in each area (so far) makes exploring with only 50 watts not feel too restrictive. It seems like the frame rate is more stable than in the demo.

Hale-XF11

I really like the graphics, originality and characters and the framerate doesn't bother me, but I thought the overall demo was kinda ho-hum. I'm not sure where the challenge is either, especially since I never really worried about running out of watts. It didn't exactly leave me wanting more, but I'm still intrigued, so I might just wait on reviews.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Ouch, my apartment is way too dark to take the pictures, at least at night. Even with all lights turned on, I barely manage to get 60% accuracy after many tries...

zigg

Hmm. Hmm. I'm not sure about this game. The minigames are very light and the environments pretty small so far. Maybe I need upgrades? Phoenix Wright seems infinitely more interesting at the moment.

Ouch, my apartment is way too dark to take the pictures, at least at night. Even with all lights turned on, I barely manage to get 60% accuracy after many tries...
It's tricky, but I had a weird thing go on that might be worth sharing. I just upgraded to an XL and I believe I'd never used my camera before… and in-game all the camera stuff was incredibly dark and also showed up e.g. all green or yellow.

I thought maybe my XL's camera was bad, exited the game, hit L+R to view something, and it looked fine (still a little dark, but on par with my OG 3DS)… then, when I started the game again, it also looked better and seemed to work a little better besides.

Still tricky, though. You have to get it… just… right. 😕

Downloaded the game. First time ever playing a Chibi Robo game but I know a lot about the character. Seems that that's whats been happening to me for a lot of things lately.

A bit surprised at how long it took to download, and how big the game was. I had to delete all of my demos that i had held onto haha.

So far, everything has been really fun. The details put into the environments is awesome. Probably the most unfortunate thing is that the game has to rely on the 3DS's cameras which are mediocre at best, even in heavily lit areas. Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity unfortunately fell victim to this as well.

I totally goofed on the first 2 things though. I don't know how i didn't realize that the square thing was supposed to be an outlet. Like an idiot i ended up taking a picture of my phone which was about the same shape, then i spent like 10 minutes trying to get the light right for the button one on my Pokeball toy only to end up getting a dud for it.

Thus far, it seems like the big things that are holding me back obnoxiously is Chibi's small time he can actually move around in an area before having to recharge. People complain about the Gamepad's battery life...lets get Chibi Robo check out mannnnnn. Jk but seriously, there has to be some way to upgrade that, right? There's a 3 digit display...

The other thing is that the "jobs" so far seem to be vague enough that it's almost impossible to do unless someone has a guide already. Like I said, that may be the point of the other Chibi Robo games but I've never played them though lol. It'd be nice if they could at least hint at what you need, like the tape measure thing. Seems like a half inch is much smaller than it actually is.

But yeah, game is very fun. Every single time someone speaks, that garbled speech makes me crack up. Especially the Curator's voice which sounds like an italian mobster recording.

So, in getting 100% on each item, do they gain a face? The first one I got 100% on was the Can, and it got this terrifying Van Gough-esque face but then it goes into the display and none of the characters mention it again. wtf is that about. Is it just the can, or do all of them do this?

Also, so appreciative that we can post pics to Miiverse. Pokemon, y u so behind on this.

zlCfzRXHI_sJa5WvXT

Drago

Man, the OST in this game is really fantastic. I love all the songs I've heard, and the trademark gargled voices are as charming as ever. :)

Kinsei

Banned
.Thus far, it seems like the big things that are holding me back obnoxiously is Chibi's small time he can actually move around in an area before having to recharge. People complain about the Gamepad's battery life...lets get Chibi Robo check out mannnnnn. Jk but seriously, there has to be some way to upgrade that, right? There's a 3 digit display...

So, in getting 100% on each item, do they gain a face? The first one I got 100% on was the Can, and it got this terrifying Van Gough-esque face but then it goes into the display and none of the characters mention it again. wtf is that about. Is it just the can, or do all of them do this?

You get battery upgrades as you get more visitors to the museum. The first (It upgrades you to 100 watts) comes at 3000 visitors.

In response to the spoilered question:
It's just the can. You getting 100% on it was just a coincidence.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
The other thing is that the "jobs" so far seem to be vague enough that it's almost impossible to do unless someone has a guide already. Like I said, that may be the point of the other Chibi Robo games but I've never played them though lol. It'd be nice if they could at least hint at what you need, like the tape measure thing. Seems like a half inch is much smaller than it actually is.

If you ask for a hint, the robot says that Chibi-Robo is 4 inches. It's pretty easy once you know that.

I also wonder if does anything special, but it has nothing to do with the 100%. I barely got 60% on that item (damn that poor 3DS camera...), and I also got the face.

Goli

I just unlocked the 5th exhibition room, and I have mixed feelings about this game.

As a game, it is a mediocre one. The mini games, save maybe for the shooting one (which works surprisingly well with the gyro sensor) are terrible, and the environments aren't big enough to make the normal cleaning fun as it was in previous Chibi Robo games. There's also a lack of variety in the tasks you have to do, it feels very repetitive.
Regarding the silhouette films and how taking pictures affects the game, it feels like a very superfluous thing, however, finding the right items definitely has a strange fun process to it, along with then trying to achieve 100% accuracy. The sad part is that despite the Photo Finder subtitle, the photography element is very minor and you spend most of your time doing other things to get new silhouette film to take pictures. Sometimes the silhouettes are a little too specific in their shape as well, which is a bit annoying.

Despite all that, and the reason I've kept playing, is that the game oozes charm everywhere, from the wacky characters and their strange personalities (JOSHY BEAR😍) to the incredibly detailed textures of the items and environments, Chibi-robo's animations when popping out of real life objects or K&M's fake french accents, the game feels like a labor of love as far as art direction and writing goes, sadly all the gameplay aspects don't go with it.
Knowing that skip was behind this game, I can't help but feel that it was probably a bit rushed and that's why the gameplay is so lacking, perhaps to move on to a bigger project? Or maybe this was originally intended to be a bigger game that had to be cut down; I guess we'll never know.

I don't know how much of the game I have yet to play, but I doubt my impressions will change. For know, I feel like only fans of the previous Chibi Robo games will really appreciate and be able to bear the game in its current state.

Drago

The game is a great fit for Miiverse pictures. Took a picture of my W101 game case when the game wanted a book instead, lol

FqMp1Ll.jpg

bumpkin

Same here, had the same problem when my wife was trying to play Spirit Camera. Of course we've accepted that the lighting in our place is shitty 100% of the time.

So what's the consensus so far, buy or pass? I thought the demo was neat, but I definitely have concerns about playability with my awful lighting; seems to have a dramatic effect on accuracy assessments.

maxcriden

I just unlocked the 5th exhibition room, and I have mixed feelings about this game.

Thanks for the extensive impression, Goli. I'll be interested to see how reviews shake out for this one. For the time being I think I'll be better served checking out the original games in the series.

zigg

They censored something from this game.

....I didn't even know there was anything worth censoring in a Chibi-Robo game.
I was wondering about that last night! BUTTS

Thanks for the extensive impression, Goli. I'll be interested to see how reviews shake out for this one. For the time being I think I'll be better served checking out the original games in the series.
Said it before and I'll say it again—the original is a classic, and probably part of the reason we all clamored for this game. 😊

I'm beginning to wonder if this game is a bit more Park-Patrol-ish, actually. Do interactions get more complicated as the game progresses?

How dare they sensor glorious can buttocks from my pure American eyes. How dare they.

Cool, looks like the first challenge is up. Winners get a special costume for Chibi Robo and the highest voted one gets a special color.

Pretty cool they can add stuff like this. Makes me wonder if they'll be able to add new areas or more in the future.

watershed

Banned
The nostaljunk models and lighting in this game are really great. It reminds me of Pikmin and the fruit and junk you collect. Really enjoying this so far.

zigg

ARGH. Really getting put out with this whole 100% accuracy thing. Amazing how I can get it all the time with a book but nothing else.

Cody_D165

Banned
Might download the demo of this, looks interesting. Never played a Chibi-Robo game before and it looks charming as hell.

All this talk about the framerate makes me kinda afraid though just because we all know how reviewers like to shit hard on that kind of stuff. :[

zigg

All this talk about the framerate makes me kinda afraid though just because we all know how reviewers like to shit hard on that kind of stuff. :[
I haven't been offended by it at all, and I'm playing in 3D. I've seen much worse. It's very playable.

Anyway, I'm warming to this. In some of my recent explore-y moments I've found hints that little quests may be popping up here and there. Yesterday, it seemed like it was going to just be "do minigames over and over and take pictures" but things are looking up, perhaps.

I'm rambling, I know.

Oh god am I just a really awful Sous-chef? I guess the hearty breakfast needs sassage, eggs and...thick cut something. Couldn't figure out what that was. Is there some way to break the eggs? They keep telling me they're boiled but there's no other eggs in there so I dunno what the hell those bastards want.

Berordn

Oh god am I just a really awful Sous-chef? I guess the hearty breakfast needs sassage, eggs and...thick cut something. Couldn't figure out what that was. Is there some way to break the eggs? They keep telling me they're boiled but there's no other eggs in there so I dunno what the hell those bastards want.

It starts with a B and ends with an achin'.

jtrov

I was really unsure about this game after completely failing multiple times trying to take photographs of a outlet and failing even more trying to get something circular to register. I finally got the game to accept an actual button and once the game opened up after that my mood completely changed.

Dove right into the kitchen setting and helped those adorable french condiments find a pork belly and I just loved it. I also enjoyed the the tape measure mini-game and found the robot to be quite funny, especially with that damn voice. Finally being able to explore the areas was great as well, but I'm hoping that the areas open up a little more, as right now they are pretty tiny.

I've been mostly farming some Happy Points, as I'm scared as all hell about taking more pictures since it was such a disaster last night. But for the most part I'm having a great time with the game and happy with my impulse decision to buy it yesterday. The framerate is quite rough, but I've been playing it in 3D and it hasn't hurt the experience thus far for me.

Hope I can find a better environment for these pictures so I can join in on these Challenges.

Goli

it's bacon, eggs and sausages they want. The egg you deliver has to be one of those three brown ones, but before delivering check the rear of it to see if its boiled or not, the boiled ones have a little piece of the shell missing.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
What's up with the nostalduds? Do they appear randomly, or does it have something to do with the quality of the picture? It's frustrating, especially considering how expensive the patterns are.

Kinsei

Banned
What's up with the nostalduds? Do they appear randomly, or does it have something to do with the quality of the picture? It's frustrating, especially considering how expensive the patterns are.

It seems to be random. I'm hoping there are only 10 in the game.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Losing more than an hour of progress because the 3DS's sh*tty camera doesn't see the object is pretty frustrating...

hurrr. I see now. lol I'm apparently really good at identifying meats but not bacon? fail.

Finally added the last item in the display and unlocked the visitor counter and the upgrade a bit later.

Neat, 100 is perfect for exploring and actually doing some of the other missions.

Now..is there anything we can do with the NostalDuds? I can't find anyone who'll take them and it doesn't appear like they're good for anything either.

zigg

it's bacon, eggs and sausages they want. The egg you deliver has to be one of those three brown ones, but before delivering check the rear of it to see if its boiled or not, the boiled ones have a little piece of the shell missing.
AH! No wonder I was having so much trouble.

I also wasn't sure if the sausages were actual sausages or not 😄

Losing more than an hour of progress because the 3DS's sh*tty camera doesn't see the object is pretty frustrating...
Yeah, I can imagine. I am not really pleased with the AR implementation. Thankfully it hasn't gone that far yet for me.

I think you can put away the film and try again later somewhere else or with better light or something if you want, by the way. IIRC it doesn't reset the tries, but…

Actually, you know, they should have used that filter mode that's available in the built-in camera app that radically improves the image quality at the cost of shutter speed.

Kinsei

Banned
It appears that the stamps aren't the only way to get those "rare" silhouette films. they appear in the shop once you get far enough. I'm not sure if all of them do or not but I hope so.

zigg

Okay so I have a really nice outlet in a well-lit room at work here and what do I get?

The top edge is in the wrong place so I can only manage 80% or so. 😡

Kinsei

Banned
You still have to buy the silhouette film from the store, even if you got it from sending in some stamps. I got 100% on the rolling pin but I still need to buy some more film to unlock the next page in the shop.

Top Bottom