• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chicago-GAF OT of Not the Second City, the BEST damn city.

Viewt

Bartoli's is really close to me. Things are about to get delicious. It'll be a few days at least before I have time to get down there but when I do I'll report back.

Get a large with bacon, pepperoni, and provolone. Guaranteed satisfaction unless you're some kind of monster (or a vegetarian).

Sai-kun

Banned
if y'all are ever way up north, there's a place right by Peterson / Kimball called Martino's that's got the most bomb ass thin crust ever. They cut it into squares which might be a dealbreaker for some of you, but it's sooooo fucking good I've been eating there since I was a tiny child.

I haven't wanted to wake up early this week so I haven't had a chance to try Doughnut Vault but I had Stan's tonight and they have maple bars so I thought it was great.

if y'all are ever way up north, there's a place right by Peterson / Kimball called Martino's that's got the most bomb ass thin crust ever. They cut it into squares which might be a dealbreaker for some of you, but it's sooooo fucking good I've been eating there since I was a tiny child.

This isn't that far from where I live and my wife loves square slices so we're going there next time we want some pizza.

joelseph

What's the best thin crust in Chicago? Down-state it is easily Monical's pizza but to my knowledge Chicago doesn't have any representation from that amazing franchise.

I strongly recommend you do a Chicago Pizza Tour. There are a few different companies offering the event so if you are serious I will get you the info for the one I took because the guide was the absolute best. They choose 4 places around the city and you get educated. Can't recommend this tour enough!

I had the day off and the wife and I went to Revival for lunch.

Got there pretty early around 10:45. Was pretty dead with basically no lines anywhere, but as soon as 11:15-11:30 hit, it got super crowded.

I've had most of the places that are there, but I liked the food hall concept.

I had the day off and the wife and I went to Revival for lunch.

Got there pretty early around 10:45. Was pretty dead with basically no lines anywhere, but as soon as 11:15-11:30 hit, it got super crowded.

I've had most of the places that are there, but I liked the food hall concept.

Is that the new place on Clark in the loop?

Something weird happening across the street.

iK2DbBL.jpg

Yo you guys never told me Chicago had rats. Safe to say the first time my wife and I saw one jump out of a bush onto the sidewalk in front of us we had a good scare.

But I mean we actually really think they're cute so it's no big deal. Better than fucking possums and shit.

There's possums where we live.

Viewt

Yo you guys never told me Chicago had rats. Safe to say the first time my wife and I saw one jump out of a bush onto the sidewalk in front of us we had a good scare.

But I mean we actually really think they're cute so it's no big deal. Better than fucking possums and shit.

Oh yeah, Chicago is full of rats. I've never had any in my apartment, though, thankfully. Mostly, you'll just see them scurry across a sidewalk or in an alley. Just don't freak out when you see one that's the size of a cat. At first, you might think you're looking at a possum, but nope, it's just a teenage mutant ninja rat that's been exposed to hazardous chemicals in an old southside factory and now roams the city looking for purpose (and pepperoni pizza).

Also, don't freak out when you see all of the dead frozen rats when the snowbanks melt in April.

My wife and I went out to dinner at the Signature Room on Sat night and were walking down Michigan Ave toward Millennium Park on the way back, and saw an ambulance and fire truck racing North on Michigan Ave. 5 mins later we were upon the police tape and the aftermath of this shooting. If we would have finished dinner 20 minutes earlier we would have been at that intersection when it happened.

It's a shame what's happening to Chicago.

Guys, I just saw a skunk hanging out near my trash.

Sai-kun

Banned
Hearing Trump talk about Chicago and also stop and frisk had me (and the bar I was at) feeling a type of way last night 🖕🏽

I can't fucking stand seeing politicians who have nothing to do with this city talking about us and our issues like they actually give a damn.

Hearing Trump talk about Chicago and also stop and frisk had me (and the bar I was at) feeling a type of way last night 🖕🏽

I can't fucking stand seeing politicians who have nothing to do with this city talking about us and our issues like they actually give a damn.

This was the only thing Trump said that I liked. Drive those housing costs down, Trump. Keep people from wanting to move here for another year or two.

glow

Banned

My bar got stirred up too when he started talking about us. "4,000 murders!" Trump's attempts to appeal to black voters is just plain sad, borderline offensive.

My bar got stirred up too when he started talking about us. "4,000 murders!" Trump's attempts to appeal to black voters is just plain sad, borderline offensive.

Trump doesn't attempt to appeal to black voters. Every "attempt" has been a show for the white supremacist crowd.

Viewt

Pretty chilly this morning! Doesn't seem like this cold front is gonna last, though - we're back in the 70s/60s all next week.

Viewt

Ugh im sick of the heat. Please let it end soon.

Yeah, I'm ready for Fall weather to kick in, as well.

Honestly, even in the dead of winter, it's not the cold that bothers me. It's the 10-minute process of lacing up my boots, finding my hat that I threw in a rage when I walked in the door earlier, finding my missing glove, then adjusting my layers for where I'll be going (quick trip to the corner store means I'm putting a heavy coat on over a t-shirt, while going to work requires a t-shirt, hoodie, and jacket, since you never know what the heat situation's going to be).

It's times like those that I pine for just slipping on a pair of Chucks and heading out.

So maybe you guys can settle an argument my girlfriend and I have been having lately. We both love doughnuts (because science), but we can't agree on who has Chicago's best.

Personally? I don't think Doughnut Vault can be beat.

She likes DV, but she reps Stan's Donuts pretty hard.

And then sometimes she throws a wrench into everything and says Do-Rite Donuts every once in a while.

And no, I don't want to hear about Firecakes. They're tasty, but they're just too sugary for me sometimes. Here's a picture in the interest of fairness, though.

So what gives, Chicago-GAF? Who's got the best doughnut?

Something Sweet Donuts

My wife and I went out to dinner at the Signature Room on Sat night and were walking down Michigan Ave toward Millennium Park on the way back, and saw an ambulance and fire truck racing North on Michigan Ave. 5 mins later we were upon the police tape and the aftermath of this shooting. If we would have finished dinner 20 minutes earlier we would have been at that intersection when it happened.

It's a shame what's been happening to Chicago.

Fixed

Turned the heat on today, boo

Side note - who has watched Easy (new Netflix show)? I've seen about three episodes, it's pretty sweet. Seeing friends pop up in the show is pretty awesome too. I hear that it's very northside centric which is a bummer, but I'm guessing Joe Swanberg is just trying to stick with what he knows (he lives in Lincoln Square).

Viewt

Side note - who has watched Easy (new Netflix show)? I've seen about three episodes, it's pretty sweet. Seeing friends pop up in the show is pretty awesome too. I hear that it's very northside centric which is a bummer, but I'm guessing Joe Swanberg is just trying to stick with what he knows (he lives in Lincoln Square).

Yeah, my girlfriend and I plowed through it this past weekend. Aside from an episode in Pilsen and some scattered west side stuff, it's entirely set on the north side. Still really good, though.

Got around to going to Doughnut Vault today. It was pretty great. The line moved quickly despite people ahead of me getting multiple boxes full too.

Viewt

Got around to going to Doughnut Vault today. It was pretty great. The line moved quickly despite people ahead of me getting multiple boxes full too.

Yeah, they get that line moving pretty quickly (it helps that it's just a to-go line and all of the doughnuts are racked up right next to the cashier). And yeah, most people who are in line at DV are getting it for their office, so the orders tend to skew pretty big. Glad you liked it!

Left an area that was basically Comcast only and it feels gooood to be with RCN. However, I'll say my RCN connection is weird in that the upload/download rates seem to fluctuate depending on the time of day. Which doesn't make a lot of sense to me since it's cable and not DSL. That's my only gripe so far.

Calling RCN last night and hearing a DIFFERENT automated voice menu system was like music to my ears. I mean, don't get me wrong, I hate all these companies, but it was nice to hear something other than the fucking Comcast lady robot tell me to repeat my phone number twice per call

Comcast is my only choice. When I moved here, somehow the connection got removed on the poll and they treated me like an idiot for calling for help. It ended up taking two weeks for anyone to get to my place.

reKon

Banned
RCN got shook by Google looking into Chicago. I know this because when I moved into my current place a few months ago, they offered 155 MPBS for $55 a month. I wasn't getting a subscription cable so I said of course I'll get that...

PS4 Remote Play from across the US is now a possibility (if I can get it remote play working again - it doesn't work in my own apartment right now!).

I have an HD antenna to get local stuff and the picture quality is amazing. I pay for HBO Now and I given free Netflix for a year for buying a Galaxy S7...

ToD_

Comcast rolled gig recently.

Hopefully that will bring prices down of regular speed cable packages at some point.

I have the RCN 120 or so Gbps (whatever it is at the moment) and I did not think I would ever say this, but I feel pretty content with my current internet speed. Originally it started at $45 a month because of some deal, and they have been raising it annually by $10 per month. Currently I think it's at $65, and I believe that's the ceiling. If we can bring that down, I'd be a happy camper.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Update on the apartment search: Pilsen definitely looks like the right balance of affordability and apartments I'd actually like to live in, setting up showings in the next couple weeks

Top Bottom