• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chicago-GAF OT of Not the Second City, the BEST damn city.

ToD_

Sounds like some of us may be within a few blocks of each other. I'm on Summerdale east of Clark. So I vote for the Andersonville replay location if possible.

Kisaya

Yes, please! Let's do it soon. Gonna try to make it to your party tomorrow night.

Yessssss!

That's the one. I live less than a block from it. :)

What street are you on? I'm on Balmoral east of Clark.

Fuck you live really close, probably on the same block as my boyfriend's dad haha. We're on Rascher between Clark and Glenwood!

Actually you all, I'm throwing a housewarming party tomorrow, and me and Sai-kun would have no issues having any of you attend. PM me for details!

Damn. Everybody woke up in this thread. Let's keep this puppy active!

We did the last Chicago meetup (at least the last I attended anyways) at Galloping Ghosts. That was with Chitown and seems like ages ago now. Replay's cool too.

ToD_

Damn. Everybody woke up in this thread. Let's keep this puppy active!

We did the last Chicago meetup (at least the last I attended anyways) at Galloping Ghosts. That was with Chitown and seems like ages ago now. Replay's cool too.

Yep, last and only time I attended was at Emporium. Chitown was there and one other guy. I never knew who he was on the forum.

Anyway, we should probably try to schedule something if we want this to happen. I'm pretty swamped this weekend but am generally pretty flexible.

gamz

The two places I miss from the city (Lincoln park) are:

Athenian Room

No nonsense Greek food. So damn addicting.

McGee's

Skirt Steak and eggs benidict. God tier.

gamz

What is "no nonsense" Greek food? You just mean top-tier gyros?

Meaning cheap and straight foward. Nothing fancy. Their Greek Chicken is amazing. Really everything is great even their burgers. We would go there once a week. Love it!

They don't serve liqueur, but the bar next door does. So you walk through a door that attaches the two that they both share, grab a beer, and bring it to your table. I don't think I've ever seen two business work together like that.

Or if you want they'll just bring your food to the bar if you want to sit there.

joelseph

Went to Revival in the loop yesterday. It's massive, has 18 different local food options and was at capacity. Like no one in until someone came out capacity. I lined up for Furious Spoon and the wait was insane. Recommend going once just to experience the new hotness, beyond that way too crowded and way too expensive.

Went to Revival in the loop yesterday. It's massive, has 18 different local food options and was at capacity. Like no one in until someone came out capacity. I lined up for Furious Spoon and the wait was insane. Recommend going once just to experience the new hotness, beyond that way too crowded and way too expensive.

I want to check it out with the wife, but want to wait until it's off peak time. We like Latinicity a lot but not when it's pure craziness and super busy.

Kisaya

Chicago GAF meet up!

h2iFEi8h.jpg

AdjE1dE.jpg

EGVsyKl.jpg

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
Yo someone should have joined me on this magical Piece pizza adventure I just had in Wicker Park. Windows open, cool breeze... Now i just need some goddamn coffee. Hangover slowly being soothed

Edit: boss just got me coffee, morning complete

Yessssss!

Fuck you live really close, probably on the same block as my boyfriend's dad haha. We're on Rascher between Clark and Glenwood!

Actually you all, I'm throwing a housewarming party tomorrow, and me and Sai-kun would have no issues having any of you attend. PM me for details!

We share an alley if you are on the south side if the steet.

Kisaya

https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/201...own-andersonvilles-lesbian-population-shrinks

Nice article about how A-ville has changed over the last 20 years. I moved in in 1999, and the change has been very clear. Where Hamburger Mary's is, there used to be a lesbian-owned coffee shop, and where Vincent is was a restaurant owned by the same people-- the Dellwood Pickle. I miss those places.

Great article that makes me pretty sad :( Really hope Andersonville doesn't turn into another Lakeview/Boystown. That's what drove me and my boyfriend out and we were looking for a more inclusive neighborhood. Really hope A-ville can continue to be a safe space for the Chicago Lesbian community as it is for us.

What does the bolded mean? Sorry, trying to learn more about Chicago as we begin our move there. Is Lakeview/Boystown not LGBT-friendly?

Light on the L and maybe T.

I don't think Andersonville is going to change much more, I think it has already happened as much as it will.

It's mainly just gentrification pushing out businesses that can't afford higher rent. That what happened to the Pickle and Angel's, and Huey's.

Kisaya

Light on the L and maybe T.

Basically. Lakeview just had a population of the same face that wasn't welcoming, at least to me as a woman of color. It was dominated by aggressively straight and gay white guys.

I still enjoyed living there for the convenience of stuff to do and transportation, it just was never going to be long term for me.

dawgparty

What does the bolded mean? Sorry, trying to learn more about Chicago as we begin our move there. Is Lakeview/Boystown not LGBT-friendly?

I've only lived in the Lakeview area for about a month(though I've previously spent quite some time here) but it is Very white gay male-dominated. Mostly in their 20s as well. I've already found myself kind of desperate to escape the bubble at times, though I do have a lot of fun when I go out.

joelseph

Went to Revival again today for lunch. Arrived around 11:30 and it was still just as crowded as opening day. Fat Shallot line was not long at all though which was odd.

Hogger

Hey all!

I just accepted a job in Chicago. Thing is... I haven't even been! Can anyone share some of the best suburbs to live to the NW of the city? The office will be in Lincolnshire. Should I have a problem finding 1BRs for $1,200 or so in the area?

Edit: I'm not opposed to living in the city proper - but I'd just prefer to keep my commute down. And now I shall spend all afternoon looking at places online :)

Hey all!

I just accepted a job in Chicago. Thing is... I haven't even been! Can anyone share some of the best suburbs to live to the NW of the city? The office will be in Lincolnshire. Should I have a problem finding 1BRs for $1,200 or so in the area?

Edit: I'm not opposed to living in the city proper - but I'd just prefer to keep my commute down. And now I shall spend all afternoon looking at places online :)

I was in the same boat as you earlier this year. When you say you want to keep your commute down, do you mean that your job is in the suburbs? Where is it? I will say that traffic is a bit of a nightmare here so it's a good idea to live somewhat close to stay sane.

gamz

Hey all!

1200! Way cheaper bro. I have a two bedroom washer dryer and I pay 1000. And that's in St charles / geneva.

gamz

I was in the same boat as you earlier this year. When you say you want to keep your commute down, do you mean that your job is in the suburbs? Where is it? I will say that traffic is a bit of a nightmare here so it's a good idea to live somewhat close to stay sane.

He said the job is in the burbs in his post.

He said the job is in the burbs in his post.

Oh. Somehow I missed that his office will be in Lincolnshire. I'm dumb.

Definitely don't bother living in the city if your office is that far away. Every time I've driven to the burbs it has been a nightmare. I know a lot of people live in Evanston. That seems to be a good compromise between the burbs and the city. Maybe look there too?

JCX

Hey Chicago-GAF! I'm performing again at my monthly Logan Square comedy show again this Thursday 7:30 at uncharted books.

Sai-kun

Banned
Anyone wanna hang tonight and grab some drinks or something? Kisaya and I are out for dinner and we'd love to hang out with peeps after for dinner ☺️ We're up in Andersonville!

There is the occasional party but I don't think we've ever officially done a meet up.

At least not since I've moved here almost 2 years ago

Last time I went to one was in early 2012. I think there was another one that year, but then ChiTownBuffalo left.

I don't think there's been a "formal" one since; just more impromptu kinda "hey having a party" thing.

Top Bottom