• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Child of Light |OT| Beware the Night

Defending speeds you up for the turn after? Have I missed huge sections of the tutorial, or is there a manual?

I don't remember a tutorial message popping up about that specifically during the first few battles. If it did it likely happened during the part where it demonstrated the DEFEND command, but I don't know. I just kind of noticed it on my own by watching that timeline.

Has there been any reports of save corruption on the Xbox One version?

Does Xbox One even have cloud saving backup? I have no idea lol.

I'm slowly inching through this game right now, and I'm definitely digging it. I actually kind of like the rhyming, and the presentation is fantastic all around so far. Norah is becoming my favorite party member because of all her status effect abilities.

Doodis

Has there been any reports of save corruption on the Xbox One version?

Does Xbox One even have cloud saving backup? I have no idea lol.

No issues with corrupted data for me, but the game crashed at the end of the first big boss fight three times for me. I was ready to throw in the towel on the game when I finally got through the fourth time without crashing.

Mesoian

Just finished up. Great game, but yeah man, this game is EASY. Never died once.

My guess that the story was a veiled retelling of the Bolshevik Rebellion turned out to be false, but oh well. This turned out to be a really nice snack of an RPG. Not quite as sprawling as other games, but a nice little piece on it's own that doesn't overstay it's welcome.

I hope we get more stuff like this, little vignettes of games that tell fun interesting stories.

The song in the credits sounds like a female Woodkid.

legbone

No issues with corrupted data for me, but the game crashed at the end of the first big boss fight three times for me. I was ready to throw in the towel on the game when I finally got through the fourth time without crashing.

you're very lucky. on the other hand i was not. i just got done finishing the game and after a certain speech by a character it went to fade to what i assume would be the credits or some cool ending scene. bam, i get an error. i have had a few errors but so far my save was intact. nope, not this time. so much for trying out the new game plus. fucking developers putting out broken games and becoming overly dependent upon the patching process. maybe i'm wrong and just pissed but i guess i won't get to max out any skill trees or try the new game plus because i'm not playing the whole fucking game again from scratch. fucking ubi! normally i love you guys but this time you burnt me.

for clarification i am on ps4. sorry kind of misunderstood.

madhtr

It was actually
the Queen of Light calling Aurora the Queen because she's become one by the end. I suspect the later Confessions also place Aurora as the queen which means we might play as Sophie in a future game set in the present day.

Ah, I thought it was Igniculus talking.... it was hard to tell who was saying what sometimes, since some of the conversations used similar text colors.

Beaulieu

Just finished up. Great game, but yeah man, this game is EASY. Never died once.

My guess that the story was a veiled retelling of the Bolshevik Rebellion turned out to be false, but oh well. This turned out to be a really nice snack of an RPG. Not quite as sprawling as other games, but a nice little piece on it's own that doesn't overstay it's welcome.

I hope we get more stuff like this, little vignettes of games that tell fun interesting stories.

The song in the credits sounds like a female Woodkid.

why did you play on easy ?
bolchevik rebellion... wtf.

panda-zebra

The game is easy hard too.

It's far from hard on hard, but to not die once through the whole game? That's impressive but also pretty lucky. When exploring I entered occasional battles I was just hopelessly under-levelled for at times or had members of my team equipped with elemental buffs that negated the effectiveness of their attacks against new foes. It also took a bit of experimentation to learn which enemies were which way inclined... so well done to anyone who went through the entire game on "hard" without a single Game Over.

OTOH, I never once used "flee", I rarely do in such games - can't suss out the enemies if you're running the other way, but I suppose at least you live to try again later.

It's far from hard on hard, but to not die once through the whole game? That's impressive but also pretty lucky. When exploring I entered occasional battles I was just hopelessly under-levelled for at times or had members of my team equipped with elemental buffs that negated the effectiveness of their attacks against new foes. It also took a bit of experimentation to learn which enemies were which way inclined... so well done to anyone who went through the entire game on "hard" without a single Game Over.

OTOH, I never once used "flee", I rarely do in such games - can't suss out the enemies if you're running the other way, but I suppose at least you live to try again later.

The trick is to use the diamond oculi to get the XP boost after every battle; your levels will skyrocket. I finished the game at level 43, I think. Once you clear the first few bosses and get a hefty supply of potions, it's smooth sailing.

On hard, the game is difficult enough to keep battles interesting, but I found it easy to avoid death. In fact I never even came close to being wiped. The game just gives you so many convenient ways to heal or swap out injured party members.

I wasn't underleveled, I just fought every enemy I saw, so maybe that's part of the difference?

anddo0

On hard, the game is difficult enough to keep battles interesting, but I found it easy to avoid death. In fact I never even came close to being wiped. The game just gives you so many convenient ways to heal or swap out injured party members.

I wasn't underleveled, I just fought every enemy I saw, so maybe that's part of the difference?

I played the game on hard and never failed a battle. I too fought every enemy in sight. I think just about everyone in my party was above level 49.

If anything, the party is far too large. The ability to switch to anyone during battle is what makes this game a cakewalk. Once you learn their strengths and weakness, and master the skill tree, it's almost impossible to lose.

Foshy

Just beat it on Hard. Now I just have to get all the confessions for the last trophy and 100%.

Very positively surprised by the game. I had little to no expectations when going in because of this being Ubisoft, but so far it's one of the best games of 2014 for me. Looks great, sounds great, plays great and was fun throughout. Not the hardest game but I didn't mind playing something more relaxing for once.

Is there a 'best' console to play this on?

PS4/X1 versions are 1080p, while PS3/360/Wii U are 720p.

The Golem DLC (which gives you an extra quest + party member) is also exclusive to PC and PS platforms so far afaik.

Ade

Just played the game.

Which skill tree is the best for Aurora?

I went magic heavy with her and just had her spamming light based magic attacks, especially fun once she can target everyone at once.

I then had the Jester bloke as a healer with a tourmaline on his weapon so he could paralyse/push back the enemies too.

Mesoian

why did you play on easy ?
bolchevik rebellion... wtf.

There are two difficulty settings, normal and hard. Apparently both are piss easy. According to the Bombcast, they're changing the names of the difficulty settings from Normal/Hard to Casual/Experienced, which doesn't really fix the problem but, whatever, it's not like the ease of the game hurts it, it's still a lot of fun.

Just played the game.

Which skill tree is the best for Aurora?

I went physical damage with her the whole game. But the end, her slash was doing 800 damage each turn and Finn's 3rd level magic spells were doing 900-1300.

I just finished Chap 7
I was completely thrown for a loop, Norah was one of my fav characters! Damn you NOX! Ok, back to COL!

Special C

I just got the
Second Jester
. I've had a role for everybody in the party so far but I never really seeing myself using this character except in a pinch.

Foshy

Picked up the last few confessions for the 100%.

ldqdp9uh.jpg

so about the confessions,
is sophie ashton ellis an abstergo employee or some shit?

Heysoos

Loving playing through this. I'm addicted. Just got to the part where
Norah turns out to be evil, I defeat the other sister and become older when I acquire the moon.
So, where's a good place to grind for more Oculi? Kinda bugs me that they sell Oculi as DLC, but whatever. It's just a shortcut.

antibolo

Banned
Does anyone know if the Japanese version of the game includes English?

I'm in NA so I'm thinking about buying it from another region so I can get it as cross-buy, and I already have a Japanese account with leftover funds so...

(Really, fuck you Ubisoft for making it cross-buy everywhere except NA)

Loving playing through this. I'm addicted. Just got to the part where
Norah turns out to be evil, I defeat the other sister and become older when I acquire the moon.
So, where's a good place to grind for more Oculi? Kinda bugs me that they sell Oculi as DLC, but whatever. It's just a shortcut.

Go back and pick up all the chests you missed. You might get some good oculi that way.

I finished the game tonight. It was such a relief everyday to just put on my headphones and enjoy it. I loved the art, music and *most* of the rhyming dialogue. I'm kinda sad that it ended. I hope this game will bring back the middle games that are apparently lost this gen. Indies do keep me happy and satisfied though.

By the end of the game, I have 13 confessions and was only missing two. As soon as I wanted to collect them, the save was corrupted and everything was deleted :(. I guess I will never get around getting 100% in the game although I loved it and wanted to complete the confessions. Guess I'll just search and read them online.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Alright so im playing on hard mode and I just got the jester girl and I came across the spider which would never be in reach, I decided "why not?" and went into a fight with it, suddenly two enemies appeared under it which were two gigantic wolves, I instantly went "oh shit" cause I can just tell these arent weak enemies, well I got my ass kicked.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Now that I had gotten some sleep it isnt as hard as it was last night, or rather I had a bad combination against a enemy I didnt face before.

Getting my cousins to play this game. On Hard lol.

is2MTlDTQ5JnS.jpg

ibfvEvFxrM3vWd.jpg

Beat the first boss after a few tries, quite challenging. Ignicilus is essential, actually fun in co-op. Beautiful and charming but very sad atmosphere.

Don't know why it isn't 1080p/60fps on 360/PS3, which is why I went with a PC version so I can just plug it to the TV to get that gold standard. Doesn't dip much below 60fps.

Is there a way to skip all the text in a conversation? They were trying to, cause they just wanted to get back to the action :p

Anteater

Just beat it, lovely game. One thing I didn't like about the game is the 2 characters limit and how slow casting magic is, kind of makes buffs a bit annoying to use when fighting certain bosses, I end up just using potions since they are a lot quicker and not bother switching characters because they're going to get interrupted anyway, you also waste a lot of time casting just so you get hit 3 times on the next turn draining all of your character's hp, ended up just spamming attacks since it's the most efficient when fighting enemies that are about as quick/quicker than you. There were a bit strategy involved with properly timing buffs but at the end I don't think it's worth it.

Montresor

I blind-bought this game yesterday. Boooo... I wish I didn't do that. I was mesmerized and suckered in by the beautiful art style, the music, the graphics, and the cute characters. Then BAM battle arenas (i.e. You get obnoxiously transported to a battle arena every time you bump into an enemy) and turn-based battles. Barf.

Thankfully the game doesn't have some of the other toxic elements present in a lot of JRPGs: random battles and grinding.

I'll play it anyway and will likely enjoy it - I can usually forgive a lot when a game's productions values, graphics, art style, and music are superb. I will come back and see if I change my mind about the game play. But generally I view battle arenas and turn-based battles as just god-awful design choices.

Just beat it, I loved loved loved it.

Pros:
- Obviously, the art style is just gorgeous. It's the main reason why many people knew about the game's existence, and for good reason. The game never stops looking wonderful.

- The soundtrack. As someone who considers piano to be one of the few things that I like more than gaming, hearing such a piano-centric soundtrack was wonderful. Every song sounds dreary, but with a subtlety of hope, like the world is waiting for their savior to rescue them all. The battle music was also fantastic, changing it up every once in a while to keep things fresh.

- The battle system. What could have been your standard JRPG fare is turned into something far more interesting by the timing battle mechanics. This is one of the very few games I've used "defend" a lot simply because it's actually strategic to do so in this game. Being able to change characters on the fly was a great idea, helping you manage who does what and adapting to where enemies are on the battle timeline.

- The story. While the rhyming can feel a bit forced, I loved the story overall. I got a lot of Majora's Mask vibes from the story. For example, towards the end of the game,
many characters make amends with their partners, family, etc. However, the game leaves a few characters out of this moment, as they have lost what could've made that moment happy. Gen, for example, lost her parents, so she doesn't get her happy moment.
It feels very real and shows the loss that accompanied Umbra's reign.

- Aurora. I think she's a very likeable character, which doesn't happen often with RPG lead characters. I particularly like her
after her transformation.

Cons:
- Enemy Variety, or the lack of it. There didn't seem to be a large variety of enemies, and this game kind of falls into the "turn it into a different color, up its stats, and call it a day." It got a bit tiring fighting the same enemies over and over and over again.

- As I stated earlier, the rhyming is just annoying at times (Although, I'll admit when the rhyming structure is broken to add emphasis, it really works). There's even a part in the ending where the narrator just botches the pronunciation of a word to make it rhyme. Yuck.

- The "puzzles." It seemed weird that they would go through the trouble of adding puzzles if they were to make them as simple as they did. Most of them are just "light up the thing and cast the shadow on the matching part of the wall." It just seemed like a way to shoe-horn the "Igniculus can light up" mechanic.

-Tristis. Never used him more than a handful of times. He seemed pretty useless throughout the adventure.

All-in-all, this game will probably make my top 5 on this years GOTY thread. I can see why some people wouldn't be as into it, but it was right up my alley. I love clever turn-based combat, piano-driven soundtracks, and the idea of playing a living watercolor painting.

I've been massively turned off by the amount of launch-day DLC and consumables for the game... does any of that impact the pace of play? It just... ugh.

Top Bottom