• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Child of Light |OT| Beware the Night

Played the first few chapters with the gf on a lazy Sunday afternoon and I gotta tip my hat to Ubi for implementing a co-op role that wasn't overwhelming...

Yeah this one's going to be a slow burner for me, just taking my time, hour here, hour there...kind of thing you want to really let soak in. Great atmosphere and wonderful environment.

I'm at about chapter 8 or so, and I'm quite surprised at how much I love this game. It's simple in it's design, but somehow, they've managed to make environments beautiful.

Combat is somewhat easy for me, the first time I died was during one of the bosses maybe halfway through. I am so, so happy that they let you swap out your party members without losing a turn.

The story is good, but it's impact is lessened with the constant rhyming. It's quite annoying at times, but I also find it adorable during certain scenes. I feel so conflicted.

The score is beautiful. It's definitely one of those game soundtracks that I'm going to listen to constantly.

monlo

Played about 2 hours. I can't help but love the environments -- they're so well done. But, the game is really quite a basic jrpg. I've played more complicated flash rpgs than this. Maybe it gets more involving later on, idk, but so far it's pretty simple.

I really hope for a spiritual sequel to this game, that retains the combat system but maybe goes into an entirely different genre from a fairy tale and adds a 3 person party (with the difficulty and skills balanced to compensate of course). The one thing I hate about the 2 person party is that it makes "All" spells for your own team really cumbersome and slightly pointless, especially with all the switching going on. Like how often is it really worth it to buff both your party members? I guess only when you intend to not switch and keep them both out for a while, but that doesn't happen to often for me at least, especially when in hard battles where buffs would matter

Jezehbell

Am I the only one to have troubles to unlock achievements on Xbox One ?

Capilli Catch (Finn joins the group) and Winged Fury (Devastate 5 foes), they both seem broken.

So I just beat the game
and now they plopped me back down at the alter after the credits. What do I do now? Is there anything left to do or see? Or do I just quit to the title screen and I assume that's where the new game plus option is?

lmbotiva

question GAF

im at the part where aurora gets the moon and turns in to an ugly teenager, how far to finish the game? im getting bored now

Avari

So I just beat the game
and now they plopped me back down at the alter after the credits. What do I do now? Is there anything left to do or see? Or do I just quit to the title screen and I assume that's where the new game plus option is?

As far as I can tell you just explore, fight enemies, and find items you've missed.

Title screen does add new game plus option.

leng jai

After about 3 hours I'm finding the game play to be very repetitive. There should have been slightly more depth here. I wonder if this is similar to the complaints about South Park?

Sarcasm

Any tips on a CoOp person? My wife is playing the blue floaty fairy thing and we figured out a few things. Just wondering if I am missing anything.

Blues1990

I can't wait for my copy of the soundtrack to arrive in the mail. Along with the soundtrack for Super Mario 3D World, I'm anticipating both of my packages to arrive any day now.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Woa running into your
sister Norah was totally random. Seemed so sudden, didn't even know I had a sister. She's kind of badass though

madhtr

Hmmm, didn't see anyone mention this... after the credits... Igniculus calls
the Queen "Aurora" before she disappears.
I didn't imagine that did I? What does that mean?

m@cross

Any tips on a CoOp person? My wife is playing the blue floaty fairy thing and we figured out a few things. Just wondering if I am missing anything.

Not sure how good your wife is at these sort of games, but mine is more a kindle/ipad gamer, so.... not so great. We struggled the first couple days, but now that I took over blue, our combat works a ton better. I think the skilled gamer should be that character for best results.

andylsun

What an amazing game. Would have loved cross-buy in US. Playing on PS3.

Bought the CD soundtrack it's so good!

Edit: There's CoOp???? Will try that with my daughter, she'll love it

m@cross

Any tips or hidden things for the second player?

Not really the second player, but this is the advice I have so far.

The plants that shoot out orbs, if you get them starting with the orange one and in order, it gives healing and mana.

During combat when it pauses for your actions, the fir fly can still move and get energy and if it is on top of the player and glowing it can heal as well.

KeRaSh

Finished this game yesterday and loved it. The song that plays during the credits... I bought it after hearing the first 10 seconds. So amazing.
Can't wait to play more games that make great use of the UbiArt engine.

Looks like we'll be restarting the game tonight. Awesome

Also, depending on how well she picks up the battle mechanics and the flow of combat, she can really feel like she is contributing in a meaningful way not simply by shaking the health/mp regen out of those plants, but also by using the "Glow" command to stun enemies at the right time so that their attacks can get interrupted, so that you have a chance to strike before they do, etc... I think it's really well done without being overwhelming.

Cat Party

What an amazing game. Would have loved cross-buy in US. Playing on PS3.

Bought the CD soundtrack it's so good!

Edit: There's CoOp???? Will try that with my daughter, she'll love it
My daughters trade off controlling the firefly while I play. They have really amazed me with how quickly they've grasped the concepts.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Finished it up last night with all trophies. Great game.

Grisby

Beat the game the other night and it was pretty decent overall. A lot of the art and music gave me a real melancholy feel throughout the whole game, an aspect I greatly enjoyed. The rhyming was pretty iffy and tiresome near the end (although I did enjoy the firefly often correcting the jester) but it was nothing offensive.

I'm at a stage where I've kind of gotten my feet back into JRPGS and the light combat in COL was nice. I think it provided enough challenge for an old hand like me without being too frustrating. Once you get the tank in your party though, just taunt, and it's all over but it was still fun.

Fantastic music and visuals. I'm heading off to buy the ost from ITunes. The presentation side is spotless.

And wouldn't you know it, I'm missing 6 chests at the end here. If I play a new game plus down the road does it carry over collectables or should I just try and find them now?

andylsun

Also, depending on how well she picks up the battle mechanics and the flow of combat, she can really feel like she is contributing in a meaningful way not simply by shaking the health/mp regen out of those plants, but also by using the "Glow" command to stun enemies at the right time so that their attacks can get interrupted, so that you have a chance to strike before they do, etc... I think it's really well done without being overwhelming.

She's played a few RPG's (pokemon, Chrono Trigger) but the timeline at the bottom is new (and very cool).

I've not go the interrupted mechanism down yet, but sure we'll pick it up.

I've not go the interrupted mechanism down yet, but sure we'll pick it up.

Basically once you (or an ally) or an enemy is in the CAST part of the timeline, an attack against you/them will cancel (interrupt) the action being performed and the timeline timer for that character will be reset.

So, for example, say you and an enemy are close to each other on the timeline but they are slightly ahead of you and begin initiating their action (i.e. enter the CAST area) first. If Igniculus (your daughter, in this case) uses the Glow ability to stun them-- which slows down their progression along the timeline-- long enough for you to get off an attack on them, whatever they were prepping to do will be cancelled/interrupted.

Same goes for you when you are in the CAST phase. That's why it's important to note how long a particular action is supposed to take to completion. If you fire up some big attack that takes a long time to get ready and an enemy enters in the CAST phase while you're still prepping, there's a good chance that they'll attack you and your attack will get interrupted. Does that make sense?

Szadek

I just played the game for 3 hours straight without even noticing.
I love the combat,the music,the visuals ...hell even moving is so much fun.
The level design is also great with many treasures and secrets.
The crafting system is ok,but I'm not too found of the leveling system.

andylsun

Basically once you (or an ally) or an enemy is in the CAST part of the timeline, an attack against you/them will cancel (interrupt) the action being performed and the timeline timer for that character will be reset.

So, for example, say you and an enemy are close to each other on the timeline but they are slightly ahead of you and begin initiating their action (i.e. enter the CAST area) first. If Igniculus (your daughter, in this case) uses the Glow ability to stun them-- which slows down their progression along the timeline-- long enough for you to get off an attack on them, whatever they were prepping to do will be cancelled/interrupted.

Same goes for you when you are in the CAST phase. That's why it's important to note how long a particular action is supposed to take to completion. If you fire up some big attack that takes a long time to get ready and an enemy enters in the CAST phase while you're still prepping, there's a good chance that they'll attack you and your attack will get interrupted. Does that make sense?

Yes, that's really helpful, thanks.

So my attack (triggered at the end of the timeline) has to land as the enemy is between CAST and attack (the end of their timeline). Slowing them down with Igniculus+L2 in the cast portion makes that more likely.

Yes, that's really helpful, thanks.

So my attack (triggered at the end of the timeline) has to land as the enemy is between CAST and attack (the end of their timeline). Slowing them down with Igniculus+L2 in the cast portion makes that more likely.

Yep. If they are ahead of you, consider using defend for a turn, which will set you back at the beginning of the timeline, but it also increases your speed for that turn. It prevents you from being interrupted and reduces damage.

Does the game run nice and smooth on Wii U? Watched the videos on eshop and it seemed kinda jerky but couldn't tell if it was just the vid or an old build or whatever.

I finished this today. A wonderful experience that feels like it's straight out of a fairytale book. Aurora's development was nice to see, but I felt like the story could have been tighter. But, overall, it was adorable and really touching.

Gameplay was fun, but felt repetitive towards the end. The score is amazing and I've been listening to it all day.

I'd give it a 9/10. I hope the success of this game encourages Ubisoft to do more, either as a sequel or for games similar in design and premise.

Loved this game. The moment the amazing music kicked in at the first boss battle, I was hooked. This game gave me so many chills that I lost count.

Hope more people give this game a shot; truly is one of the better games to come out this year so far.

Ending question:
Did everyone else get the post credit scene with the Igniculus telling the mom that Aurora didn't talk to her? Just wondering if it was because I missed something, or if it was a part of the story.

zeopower6

Ending question:
Did everyone else get the post credit scene with the Igniculus telling the mom that Aurora didn't talk to her? Just wondering if it was because I missed something, or if it was a part of the story.

As far as I've seen, it doesn't lead to anything.
She has an exclamation point if you flee the final battle and she sends you off to fight Umbra again but that's about it. You aren't able to talk to her unless you flee that final battle, so...

Might test it out on a future playthrough.

Well, I should try that out. I haven't bothered to use him yet. :p

Apparently they were hinting at
Norah's betrayal with his reveal since he had a similar moveset xD

Hmmm, didn't see anyone mention this... after the credits... Igniculus calls
the Queen "Aurora" before she disappears.
I didn't imagine that did I? What does that mean?

It was actually
the Queen of Light calling Aurora the Queen because she's become one by the end. I suspect the later Confessions also place Aurora as the queen which means we might play as Sophie in a future game set in the present day.

Loved this game. The moment the amazing music kicked in at the first boss battle, I was hooked. This game gave me so many chills that I lost count.

Hope more people give this game a shot; truly is one of the better games to come out this year so far.

Ending question:

No, that's supposed to happen. I thought it was quite sad.

wrog

Am I the only one to have troubles to unlock achievements on Xbox One ?

Capilli Catch (Finn joins the group) and Winged Fury (Devastate 5 foes), they both seem broken.

They can be glitchy. I had to start from scratch on a new save file to unlock Kategida Kindred (Óengus joins Aurora's party).

Exentryk

Started this last night. Stood there on the opening screen for a good 10 minutes listening to the music. Last time I did that was with Xenoblade.

Started in Hard, and beat the first boss. The ability you get after the first boss is really cool. Now to explore :D

andylsun

Yep. If they are ahead of you, consider using defend for a turn, which will set you back at the beginning of the timeline, but it also increases your speed for that turn. It prevents you from being interrupted and reduces damage.

Defending speeds you up for the turn after? Have I missed huge sections of the tutorial, or is there a manual?

Top Bottom