• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Child of Light |OT| Beware the Night

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
From the FAQ:

All of the spiders have like
400hp but they don't seem to have any particular weaknesses so you will just
have to beat them down slowly.

I suspected it. it will be hard, have to manage potions and party members
thx

Shizuka

I just grinned when I found things to be hard. Every time I finished a battle, a member of mine leveled up. I did it until I could finish a battle without anyone leveling up, finding myself to be strong enough for another couple of chapters.

Hi!

I've tried searching for this but I can't find much information. What separates the controls on the Wii u vs the ps4. Want this game and hoping for an improvement similar to what trine 2 did on the Wii u.

Dereck

A friend recommended this to me. I got the game a few weeks ago and kept putting it off. I just played it today, got 4 hours in before I found it hard to stop playing.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Hi!

I've tried searching for this but I can't find much information. What separates the controls on the Wii u vs the ps4. Want this game and hoping for an improvement similar to what trine 2 did on the Wii u.

controls?
in the Wii U version you can control your companion via touch screen. I found this very useful, hoenstly, especially during battles, cause you have to switch from an enemy to another to stop them, or from a party member to another to heal them

Shizuka

controls?
in the Wii U version you can control your companion via touch screen. I found this very useful, hoenstly, especially during battles, cause you have to switch from an enemy to another to stop them, or from a party member to another to heal them

It's great to have that option, but playing on the Vita, I still went with the analog stick instead.

I recently finished. Child of Light on vita and I must say it is AWESOME. The game is perfect for Vita with touch controls. Kudos to Ubisoft for giving Raymond series, this and AC Liberation for Vita. I wonder if they will make a sequel for this.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Hey guys, how is the Vita port? I'm waiting for a sale to jump on this. If it's good though, I might just get it now.

Played it on hard without any issues but the final boss broke me.
It's insane how much harder it is compared to the rest of the game.
Probably should've followed a single skill tree instead of going all over the place.
Loved the game though.

Roo

So I've been thinking about getting this game since launch but for whatever reason I never got around it. I have a few bucks to spare so I definitely can get it now.
I've heard a few songs from the OST and I find it just exquisite and the artstyle is marvelous but I'd love to know how's the gameplay and story side of it.
Is the game any good? Is it worth it?

Hey guys, how is the Vita port? I'm waiting for a sale to jump on this. If it's good though, I might just get it now.

It is totally worth it mate. The game felt perfect for handheld. The touch controls are responsive and makes sense (front screen). I would highly recommend it.

So I've been thinking about getting this game since launch but for whatever reason I never got around it. I have a few bucks to spare so I definitely can get it now.
I've heard a few songs from the OST and I find it just exquisite and the artstyle is marvelous but I'd love to know how's the gameplay and story side of it.
Is the game any good? Is it worth it?

The game is 15 dollars. I personally felt I got more out of this game than 60 dollars campaign one's. It is turn based with 2 party members and you fight 2 - 3 enemies at a time. The story is pretty awesome and surprised me as it is actually a sad story as opposed to happy go lucky type ones.

Roo

The game is 15 dollars. I personally felt I got more out of this game than 60 dollars campaign one's. It is turn based with 2 party members and you fight 2 - 3 enemies at a time. The story is pretty awesome and surprised me as it is actually a sad story as opposed to happy go lucky type ones.

Thanks for the reply.
So excited. Can't wait to play it.

sharnaak

Just finished the game, even if it was a bit short I've enjoyed it quite a lot.
I've played it on pc, since a friend gifted it to me during the steam sales, I hope there will some kind of spiritual successor to this game, maybe with a bit deeper gameplay.

On a side note, if anyone has this on PC as well could you please add me on uplay? I need to gift an oculi to someone for the last achievement but I don't have any friend there; the ID is 'sharnaak'.

mitx

I've tried the demo but it just didn't clicked for me. Is the game worth it anyway?

I've been wanting to buy a new game for the vita and this seems to be the most popular opinion, but the demo didn't impress me.

This game can get quite frustrating when you're against 3 enemies and they're constantly interupting you. Defending doesn't prevent being interrupted, it's just a nice way to take less dmg when interruption is guaranteed.

It's even worse when both your characters get slowed. All of the prevention type spells all take way too long to cast, which means 100% interruption against 3 enemies.

The combat started out quite fun but... ugh.

Does anyone ever actually use the elixers?

Begaria

Of course! In fact, some of those elixirs could help alleviate the problem you're having. Especially the elixirs that give you the ability to not be interrupted or to speed yourself up. Don't be afraid to use them, even in random battles, because you get a ton of them.

sharnaak

This game can get quite frustrating when you're against 3 enemies and they're constantly interupting you. Defending doesn't prevent being interrupted, it's just a nice way to take less dmg when interruption is guaranteed.

It's even worse when both your characters get slowed. All of the prevention type spells all take way too long to cast, which means 100% interruption against 3 enemies.

The combat started out quite fun but... ugh.

Well defending also takes you back faster to the casting point of the bar, also you need to mix in short and med cast spell to eventually interruput your enemy and abuse of the slow of Igniculus to have the 3 enemies if possible stack around the same point in the casting bar... Well that's at least what I did in my gameplay!

For the elixirs I didn't use them, but they can help a lot I think since they are a short cast time for some powerfull spell.

I spent time time reconfiguring my gems. I was really struggling in against that griffon boss (that guards the moon temple). But I finally beat it.

I was not expecting
to become adult of light
!

blakep267

Beat the game yesterday. One of my favorites this year so far. But towards the end I only found myself using aurora and Finn ( lightning all+ starlight all ftw). I really missed Norah's move set.

Just got and beat this game about a week ago.

Great game. If anyone's on the fence, just go for it.

I'd never played an RPG with mechanics quite like this - I found that it was all about controlling the wait/attack meter at the bottom. Strengths/weaknesses came second for me (although by the end game, they were nearly as important).

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Well defending also takes you back faster to the casting point of the bar, also you need to mix in short and med cast spell to eventually interruput your enemy and abuse of the slow of Igniculus to have the 3 enemies if possible stack around the same point in the casting bar... Well that's at least what I did in my gameplay!

For the elixirs I didn't use them, but they can help a lot I think since they are a short cast time for some powerfull spell.

The thing is the game punishes you a ton harder than it does your enemies, sometimes it feels like every attack the enemy does causes interupption whilst you'd only get it maybe if the game feels like it, and when it does they dont fall nearly as low as you do. thats probably one of only a few problems I have with the game really

Roo

I've tried the demo but it just didn't clicked for me. Is the game worth it anyway?

I've been wanting to buy a new game for the vita and this seems to be the most popular opinion, but the demo didn't impress me.

It is definitely worth it imo
I bought it for Wii U a week ago and I couldn't be happier with my purchase.
This is my first RPG game ever so I was overwhelmed by all the elixers, stones, turn based gameplay, level skills and all that stuff. It was too much for me but I loved the fact that I had to learn and FAST. Now that I know how it works, all my attention goes to the story, artstyle and music which are just marvelous.
Ubisoft did an amazing job. They really captured the essence of an old fairy tales book illustrated by watercolor drawings.
Besides, it's a $15 digital game, you hardly can go wrong.

jnWake

The thing is the game punishes you a ton harder than it does your enemies, sometimes it feels like every attack the enemy does causes interupption whilst you'd only get it maybe if the game feels like it, and when it does they dont fall nearly as low as you do. thats probably one of only a few problems I have with the game really

I disagree, the game seemed very balanced to me. You just have to be careful about the speed of your enemies. Use Rubella to stop any quick enemies, her Tumble is actually pretty strong and stupidly fast. In late game you can also use Gen to control the battle absolutely. Gen with Haste is unstoppable.

I have to disagree. The Occuli that lets you stun or the ones that place people differently on the timer, Gen's ability to control the attack phases, the one guy who can render anyone immune to interruption, the various Potions, and fast attacks all allowed me to completely control the flow of battle with practice. I was only in situations where I'd get interrupted if I wasn't on the ball or paying attention. And then I'd eliminate the weaker enemy (or enemies in groups of three) so that I wouldn't have to worry about it at all. That's all very late game stuff too; you have the whole game prior to that to figure out how to influence that attack meter.

What the hell.

The game ends with 2 fights in a row with no chance to heal in between or assign skill points?

And that's how I discovered the "flee" button.

EDIT: And now it's over. One of the few games I was sad to beat this year because I knew it would be over... and I wanted it to last forever.

Zalman

Just stopped by this thread and I'm happy to see positive impressions on the Vita version. I think I'll pick it up since it's the only way to get the game physically.

blakep267

What the hell.

The game ends with 2 fights in a row with no chance to heal in between or assign skill points?

And that's how I discovered the "flee" button.

EDIT: And now it's over. One of the few games I was sad to beat this year because I knew it would be over... and I wanted it to last forever.

eh, most of my characters leveled up after the first fight, i mean it should've given a ton of exp

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I finally finished this game over the weekend. I enjoyed it quite a lot, I really like this kind of turn based combat. Ubisoft has done some great work with this game with all the great art and music.

dralla

Not sure if it's too early for a LTTP thread so I'll just post this in here;

I finished this over the weekend. It was one of the reasons I bought a PS4 (along with a handful of other downloadable games, like Transistor, which coincidentally also stars a red-headed female protagonist..). I was always a bit skeptical about this game, it looked great but was never sold on the game itself. After finishing I have to say it was fantastic!

I wasn't feeling it for the first 1-2 hours. I was flying around opening chests and mindlessly going through battles. But once you start acquiring more party members and the game mixes and matches the enemies in battle it became a ton of fun. I played the game on Hard as I heard the game was easy and for the most part it provided a decent challenge (it got too easy near the end, the last boss was no match for my decked out party). Swapping out characters to use certain abilities, buffing a de-buffing, messing with the occuli load outs, it was all a lot of fun and rewarding. Finn became an absolute beast at near the end, with a brilliant onyx (25% increase to spell power), Rage of the Capilli (%30 increase to spell power, and +6 to Magic (Tourmaline?), I was one shotting enemies regardless of vulnerabilities with my level 3 lightning strike. All the characters had useful abilities but I think eight characters was a bit much. It become a lot to manage their loadouts and skill trees. And certain characters only had one good ability (Tristis; Haste, Gen; Paralyze). I think 5 or 6 characters would've worked better. Gen seemed kind of pointless too, she joined very late and for...reasons? Personally I would've dropped Tristis and Gen and given there abilities to other members. Also,
Norah was my favorite character in battle, she could control the timeline and was kind of the 'commander' and it sucked when she left the party, and you never got a good replacement
, oh well. I think they could've assigned the swap party member and defend actions on single buttons or 'hotkeys', since you use them so much. It's a small tweak that would make the combat just a little more enjoyable.

Outside of combat, it's also pretty solid. I enjoyed the 'puzzles' and flying around new areas for the first time, soaking everything in. The side quests were relatively simple but offered a nice distraction. I would've liked to see more puzzles and hidden areas.

The game looks fantastic. There's a lot of personality in the characters and especially the enemies. Environments are varied in interesting. The soundtrack too, is also stellar. Listen to it free - http://musique.coeurdepirate.com/album/child-of-light - I think Dawn to A Dusty Plain is my current favorite.

Lastly, even though I'm not a trophy/achievement person, I was disappointed with the ones here. They could've done some cool stuff with the battle system, or more to encourage exploration, or messing with the occuli..they don't even have one for finishing NG+.

That's all, now I need to decide if I wanna go on to NG+ or play a different game..decisions.

Begaria

I'd never played an RPG with mechanics quite like this - I found that it was all about controlling the wait/attack meter at the bottom. Strengths/weaknesses came second for me (although by the end game, they were nearly as important).

Do yourself a favour and get this (my favourite in the series):

5049bf4cc7164.jpg

and this:

20090619131521!Grandia_2_cover.jpg

Aaaaand maaaaaybe this...(hey, I liked it):

Grandia_3.jpg

There's a reason why so many reviewers drew parallels between Child of Light's combat system and Grandia. The action meter is almost straight out of Grandia.

Do yourself a favour and get this (my favourite in the series):

There's a reason why so many reviewers drew parallels between Child of Light's combat system and Grandia. The action meter is almost straight out of Grandia.

I guess I should have mentioned that I was aware of Grandia. I'd just never played it is all.

But yeah I might try it out at some point. Thanks for the recommendation!

andylsun

After a month of travel and away from my PS3, I finished it at the weekend with my daughter. Loved it all the way through. Missed a couple of the optional quests, so will go back and clean those up.

Battle system comparisions to Grandia are interesting. I have II and III but not played them. May be worth starting.

For anyone who wants the soundtrack ripped from the game, someone on ffshrine.org has ripped it. It was difficult, as the choir parts are on separate stems than the music, so they had to be combined. The encoding is a bit rough, but for anyone who has the OST it's worth adding.

Not sure if I'm allowed to post a link so I won't, but it's easy to find.

Edit: The extended version of Leaving the Castle is just amazing.

andylsun

Picked up the physical vita version in Hong Kong.

It has a patch 1.01 that adds English support but I don't see any options in the game to change language. Playing on a vita set to English.

It's actually good fun watching my daughter play without English (we completed it on PS3) but the option is supposed to be there.

Catalogue number is VLAS 36064

Edit: fixed it. If vita system language is set to English (United Kingdom) then it still plays in Chinese. Set it to English (United States) and it's playable in English.

jiiikoo

Banned
Just bought this for my girlfriend and she seems to be enjoying it loads. And after watching her play it, I'm gonna have to play it too. Seems like fun. And the artwork is just amazing. Love the atmosphere so much.

ryu is about to get rekt

there is more art about the game here
http://childoflightgame.tumblr.com/
Some good interviews there.

Brie Code (yes, actual name)
tumblr_inline_n560d8Ts0z1s7qqsk.jpg

2. How do you think the diversity of the Child of Light team helped the production?

Brie: You can find a lot to read about how diverse teams can outperform even more qualified teams, and it is not difficult to see why. Diverse teams bring a variety of personalities, backgrounds, and ideas. They tend to communicate more since there is no assumption of shared knowledge or previously-established social rituals to uphold. They also tend to bring multiple approaches to problem solving …or even to defining what problems to solve. And this last point is the most interesting to me.

I think it’s a really good time to look to diverse teams for innovation. It’s no secret that the game industry suffers from a lack of diversity, and this shows in what the industry produces. We make games about guns and about the same protagonist over and over, from game to game to game. But what other games could we create?

All my favorite games right now are indie games. And tech-wise, it is a really exciting time also. Partly because the tech has sort of stagnated, we have to look at innovating no longer just on realism but on everything else.

4. How do you feel about making a game with a female protagonist?

I think representation in media is very important. I remember one day while I was finishing Assassin’s Creed Brotherhood, I was rushing through the metro, and I saw this life-size poster with the Brotherhood flanking Ezio. A teenage girl walked up in front of me, slowly, looking at the poster, and then she walked straight up to the female Assassin and reached out and touched her face and just stood there for a while looking.

I have at times debated whether this is the right industry for me. I’ve been attached to the computer since I was tiny and grew up loving games and loving programming. And this industry is an industry full of growth and opportunity and passion. And my colleagues are some of the hardest working and most friendly and intelligent people I have ever met. But at times I get lonely. It can be lonely to be the only woman or one of very few women on the team, or to be the only one with my own girly taste in film or books or whatever. But seeing that girl standing there, it made it all worth it, because I realized that it is worth pushing for more diversity within the industry and for a diversity of characters within the games we make.

That girl reminded me what it was like to be young and looking for role models and how powerful it can be to see yourself represented in the media that surrounds you. My favorite games growing up were Colonel’s Bequest and Zak McKracken. Later it was Starcraft, then the Longest Journey and Morrowind, and more recently it’s been Skyrim and Gone Home. Most of my favorite games have compelling characters, often compelling female characters, and I think that is not a coincidence.

kJUXB.gif

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member

The sale finally happened so I finally got it. Quick question: if I'm used to RPGs like SMT IV or Soul Hackers, should I play this on hard? How easy is the game?

Ponn

Banned
I finally decided to play this on Vita after buying it on sale over the holidays. I'm having a great time with it but have tried searching and found nothing on something that is bugging me There are some hanging mine cart things that swing when you fly by them. They look like they can fall and break the ground. Is there a way to make them fall?

Also is the DLC worth a purchase? I have such a backlog i'm just planning on steamrolling through this over the next couple days and then moving on so is it worth getting the DLC in that case? Also I don't see an option to trade occuli for that trophy in my menu?

Finally played and finished this after it being in my backlog since it released. I should have played this sooner.

I lost count the amount of times I just aimlessly slowly walked/flew just soaking in the atmosphere. AMAZING!

zeopower6

Might get the physical Vita version because why not? :D

Hope this OT gets a bit more attention with first timers who may not have paid attention to the game when it first was released. A sequel with refinements would be great!

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Picked this up via Games with Gold and I'm having a lot of fun with it. It's charming as hell, and so beautiful. I was really in the mood for a laid back, not overly complicated RPG, and this is perfect. Expert mode feels challenging but not frustrating.

Top Bottom