• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

China says it will lift ban on video game consoles

Tecmo-Koei, time to make a new series.

Boxer Rebellion Warriors
Rebellion of the Boxers Dynasty
Wall Dynasty Warriors

My personal favorite - Genghis Khan Dynasty.

Possibilities are really endless.
Or just release dynasty warriors again. Dynasty Warriors is about the Chinese dynasties. As well as Romance of the 3 kingdoms

Aad

Mario and Pokemon are already huge in China without ever getting any official releases there.

Or just release dynasty warriors again. Dynasty Warriors is about the Chinese dynasties. As well as Romance of the 3 kingdoms

Definitely making fun of the series - that's all.

A new market would give Tecmo reason to release yet another game, but at least focus on something else this time. There's a market in China that would probably love games based on their turn of the century events, or even something centered on Genghis Khan.

Dynasty warrior is about the romance of 3 kingdoms.

Right. The idea of Chinese Dynasties stretches far beyond just the 3 Kingdoms - plenty of untapped potential there.

molnizzle

Microsoft on suicide watch.

Came to post this, verbatim. :p

This is huge. China is the largest market on the planet, with a population that expands its buying power exponentially year after gear. It's already the largest source of income for many large American tech companies (Apple, for example). Every console manufacturer needs to jump on this immediately.

Jesus, the inevitable sales figures. This industry is about to get a whole lot more ridiculous.

Or even better, CRPGs!

There are some:

0baeeeebef2ec0a073174a8545801916.jpg

59_153100_1.jpg

128046-xuanyuan-jian-3-waizhuan-tian-zhi-hen-windows-screenshot-entering.jpg

2725722.jpg

1371779462942.jpg

08111457234680298.png

How did Nintendo sell the iQue in China? Is it somehow not a console?

iQue was released before the ban. Chinese gamers aren't big on consoles and piracy was a problem. iQue was a cheap way of getting console games into Chinese players hands while restricting piracy and other risks.

molnizzle

This has been on the cards for ages, I posted this earlier on the subject the PS Vita TV and MS deal for a console are exactly this:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthre...=#post83619545

These Cheap consoles are what China will buy (and Maybe PS2) but PS4 will be a service they can have rather than an expensive item that just would not sell.

Why do the consoles have to be cheap? This isn't your grandfather's Chinese marketplace.

Isn't PC gaming massively popular there, and mainly because of the lack of any real consoles being available?

I'm calling it now: China will be the largest, most important console video game market before the sun sets on this upcoming generation -- and sooner rather than later.

Aad

5000RMB consoles shown in malls alongside 60" TVs will sell tons in China.

Showing the graphics and games will probably blow most peoples minds. After all they are used to playing games on 15"-30" PC monitors at low to mid range graphics.

The more "reasonably" expensive a product is, more people would want it in their living rooms. It's just how things are going in China right now.

Usobuko

Banned
Japanese companies are not popular in China currently for a variety of reasons. There is no "shoe in" there.

It really doesn't work this way. The Chinese 'localisation/scanlation' teams for Japanese anime/manga/vn are great in numbers and comparable to 'English' ones.

Whether they are willing to change their gaming habits and pay for the software/console is another thing but the interest is definitely there. That's why I see this market being more open to Sony and Nintendo.

Awesome! Haven't seen any in years; these definitely look more modern. Are there any you'd recommend?

I only played one of those and my chinese isnt that good, that I can read it fluently, so I cant really :(

But one of the games I showed there is the latest entry of this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xuan-Yuan_Sword

And maybe check this site:
http://www.gamebar.com

And they have great "waifus":

0.jpg

Canon and Nikon cameras say no.

I like your Avatar :D

Xuanyuan Sword is serviceable. I think there's even a live action TV show tie in.

Gameplay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_YwzDFv1PQ

This news is old and the title is misleading, I created this thread in July:

China confirms lift of console ban in Shanghai, serves as "test-zone"
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=631711

Not really misleading. Any company that sets up shop in Shanghai can sell it's product everywhere on the mainland.

Khaz

You havent lived in China for some time, right?

The Diaoyu-Island thing rubbed a few people wrong and then you see some demonstrations about it, but the general opinion of japanese in my generation is, that they rather look up to them.
They rather buy Sharp-mobilephones, fly to japan for designerbrands and love korean and japanese body-products.

I won't say anything about brand allegiance or geopolitics, but what came out of me having chinese friends at uni is that the average chinese is still wary of the japanese (and the other way around). A bit like French and Brits, but worse.

Aad

So this could potentially mean:

Sony Computer Entertainment Shanghai
Nintendo of China
Microsoft Studios Shanghai

faridmon

I won't say anything about brand allegiance or geopolitics, but what came out of me having chinese friends at uni is that the average chinese is still wary of the japanese (and the other way around). A bit like French and Brits, but worse.

From my uni experience, Japanese and Chinese (who came from China as students, not the ones who were born and grew up in UK) are actually closer than many people realise and many of them would hang out together and so on and so fourth.

Japanese and Koreans though, holy crap, now that is some tension if there was any.

Khaz

From my uni experience, Japanese and Chinese (who came from China as students, not the ones who were born and grew up in UK) are actually closer than many people realise and many of them would hang out together and so on and so fourth.

Japanese and Koreans though, holy crap, now that is some tension if there was any.

Yeah, we probably can't generalise anyway.

Chinese indie games are gonna rock the world, lol

serious question, they can't get away with using other IP likeness etc for their games right? or to even publish it on their region like on ps4 psn store for example.

dramatis

Yep, even in America the immigrated, naturalized bunch still have biases against Japan, because they grew up during the still heavy duty commie years.

But they are surprisingly amenable to brand names, for them things like "Sony" or "Toshiba" are associated with quality stuff. Even the Chinese know the stuff coming out of Chinese factories is of lesser quality. My mom keeps complaining that back in the 80s products were much better made and lasted longer compared to today.

I think the new generation, the ones with money to throw around, are a viable market because they grew up in a different age and they don't carry the past as hard. For them it wouldn't be about history, it'd just be an entertainment product.

I think it would be hilarious if the Chinese market ends up saving JRPGs.

serious question, they can't get away with using other IP likeness etc for their games right? or to even publish it on their region like on ps4 psn store for example.

Sony/Nintendo/MS will probably restrict IP violations, but there's nothing stopping the Chinese from lifting from other IPs. Many Chinese developers really dislike Tencent because Tencent is always stealing.

Yep, even in America the immigrated, naturalized bunch still have biases against Japan, because they grew up during the still heavy duty commie years.

Eh, not so much. New generation Chinese immigrants grew up in the 80s, which are often referred to as "the good years" of growth, stability, and peace (as you alluded to). Lots of Japanese and Chinese cultural exchanges. My wife can read Japanese perfectly due to the amount of anime and Japanese serials that were/are available in China.

My mother in law was a child during the Mao years and grew up in the Cultural Revolution, and even then, anti Japanese sentiment wasn't as big of a deal, since the Chinese were able to claim they defeated Japan, and then Japan was subsequently defeated in WW2 and disarmed.

I think there's a good bit of issues with Japan now because of China's expansion and the Japanese governments stoking nationalist sentiments to counter it.

Many Chinese developers really dislike Tencent because Tencent is always stealing.

But they also licence a lot. They have the manga-licences for shueisha-mangas, made a cooperation with SNK, bought the MH licence and such.

Varth

Aren't both consoles manifactured in China anyway? Can someone articulate the economic reasons behind the "set production in FTZ" part of the deal?

Aren't both consoles manifactured in China anyway? Can someone articulate the economic reasons behind the "set production in FTZ" part of the deal?

Market liberalizations. They want to turn Shanghai into Hong Kong. Hong Kong is not happy about this because Shanghai is a relatively cleaner city, less income disparity (but still significant). It's a way for China to open up the Chinese market to new investments and foreign companies. Hong Kong has some autonomy where as Shanghai is more under the control of the government.

I may be moving to Shanghai next year. I wonder if I can take advantage of this. :)

Aad

Also did Nintendo ever get round to announcing their plans for China?

The 72nd Annual General Meeting of Shareholders said:
I would like to know about the current situation of the company’s operations in China and what problems you have in doing business there.

Iwata said:
As for the business in China, we have a local corporation named iQue which works to deliver our products to Chinese consumers. Under the name of iQue, we launched the Nintendo DS in July 2005, the Nintendo DS Lite in June 2006 and the Nintendo DSi in December 2009. We plan that iQue will release our future products as well, but I am afraid I should not talk about any future plans here. Messages dispatched by a Japanese company in regard to China can often be first translated into English and, then, further translated into Chinese to be spread throughout China. In this process, I myself experienced several times in the past that what I said in Japanese was reported in China in a different context and meaning from my original Japanese messages, which were conceived by the people there as rather unpleasant although, as a matter of course, I had never meant to say such things at all. Through these experiences, we have learned that any business announcements about China should be made in China. It seems that a number of the Japanese companies doing business there also make it a rule to talk only about a general plan in Japan, but the detailed plans are announced by their local corporations. Therefore, although iQue will continue its businesses there, please let me refrain from talking about specific strategies here.

One of the challenges in doing business in China is related to the fact that video game systems today are instantaneously distributed to so many different countries in the world as soon as they are launched somewhere on the Earth. Game systems are also available in China, but I hear that most of them are unofficially imported items without paying any value-added tax, which is equivalent to the consumption tax in Japan. Of course, as we are trying to do our best in order to conduct legitimate operations with no legal issues, iQue sells our systems with the value-added tax. This makes a price gap between official products and unofficial ones. Therefore, we have to tackle the challenge of how to add a special attraction to official products so that consumers will choose them. We would like to find a productive solution this year. I hope you will wait for our announcement on the result.

They wanna build up a FTZ-Zone there and make shanghai a bit like southern-china, where a lot of the other manufacturers are located.
I guess they loosened some of the old laws, so that foreign companies will be located there.

Thats just my guess though.

Top Bottom