• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chinese company plans to build world's tallest building in 90 days

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArjanN

Just 10meters taller than the Burj? really?

I wonder if Dubai will just slightly raise their building to beat it again.

Yeah, would be funny if China went to all this trouble and Dubai just added a slightly longer antenna on the roof of the Burj for like a hundred bucks.

Alternatively, just wait for this building to fall over.

dejay

Banned
Prefab or not, they can assemble shit quickly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E76uJi744Do
Not pretty, but it's impressive.

I don't understand the argument against prefab anyway - lots of buildings use prefab these days - it's just smarter in a lot of ways. I'd suggest that they'll save a lot of money doing it that way.

Air

Banned
Gob: How do we filter out the teases? We don't let them in.
Gob: This goes for the guys, too. Because sometimes the guys are tapped out. But check your lease, man, because you're living in *sky* City.

So Im assuming to keep costs dirt cheap, everything from one building to the next is all the same boring shit right?

This tower will be that hotel they built on a monumental scale.

Maybe someone fucked up in inventory and now theyre just sitting on a pre-fabbed skycity?

dejay

Banned
So Im assuming to keep costs dirt cheap, everything from one building to the next is all the same boring shit right?

This tower will be that hotel they built on a monumental scale.

Maybe someone fucked up in inventory and now theyre just sitting on a pre-fabbed skycity?

I've just been playing Minecraft, so this appeals to me on some level :)

They have a very good track record of building skyscrapers quickly, competently, and with environmental conservation in mind. I think it was their recent 30 story building that is rated to withstand level 9 earthquakes. That said, building a 30, 50, or even 60 story building is totally different than building a 220 story supertall. If they actually can assemble a 220 story building in 6 months (or whatever their new time frame is), I will be blown away. It will probably take AT LEAST that long just to create the foundation, which I understand is not counted as part of the build time.

The CEO of the Broad Group is a bit eccentric. Check out his house and the company's headquarters:
broadcampus.gif

I am not a huge fan of this project, but I hope it will succeed. The Shanghai Tower is much more beautiful and fits into an impressive skyline. It's only about half built and is already considered a supertall.

e: wtf, they've changed their projections from 6 months to 3?? I don't believe this is possible, even with a modular design. You might be able to build at that rate up to 50 or 60 stories, but beyond that constructions slows dramatically. This will be a monumental achievement if they are successful.

Woorloog

Banned
That sounds pretty fascinating, but I can't imagine the disaster that would befall everyone underneath such a sky city should someone try to attack it.

Yeah, well: a wrong person getting his hands on nuke launch codes, a bioweapon, a private company deciding to move an asteroid to a course that intersects Earth's orbit, we building a space elevator and someone deciding to attack it, a random sociopath bypasser having a gun... all these can have disastrous effects.

If the concept works, obviously terrorism and other attacks and potential accidents and disasters will be take into account. Regardless whether such "cloud city" would be moving or not, it would avoid passing over inhabitet areas etc.

No pics of the project yet?

skycity2.png

460.jpg

I think it looks pretty good. I'm talking out of my ass here, but it looks like an old Chicago skyscraper.

edit: i guess the first pic is an earlier project?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Doesn't having 100,000 people live in one giant vertical structure seem like a really bad idea? Have any of them ever run a fire drill before?

numble

Is there a 100,000 people in China that can afford to live there?
They just need enough people to buy 25,000 apartments, maybe less, if they're styled as 3-generations under one roof apartments. There's plenty of people still willing to throw that money around, considering that 1) savings at state-owned banks offer a negative interest rate (when inflation is taken into account), 2) capital controls make it difficult to invest money outside the country, 3) provident housing fund makes housing "cheaper" since your employer may be basically paying half of your down-payment, while also qualifying you for cheaper interest loans and 4) lack of property tax. Changsha's also not one of the few places imposing limits on housing purchases, afaik.

If there's one thing that China has become great at, it's building giant cities that no one lives in.
Zhengzhou New Area, the "ghost city" focused on in that video, is now populated:
http://www.newgeography.com/content/002159-zhengzhou-ghost-city-alive

Black-Box

No pics of the project yet?

skycity2.png

460.jpg

I think it looks pretty good. I'm talking out of my ass here, but it looks like an old Chicago skyscraper.

edit: i guess the first pic is an earlier project?

looking at the pics, yup they can easily build this fast, everything just screams simple.

compare this to other large buildings, and this is very simple

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Yeah, would be funny if China went to all this trouble and Dubai just added a slightly longer antenna on the roof of the Burj for like a hundred bucks.

Alternatively, just wait for this building to fall over.

i believe the 'rules' for these things do not measure attachments like antenna; so you cant just add a 11m antenna to the top of an existing building, it has to be part of the structure.

Like Like Like Like Like Like Like.

If there is one thing I respect about China, it's their unrelenting drive to build state of the art cities and structures.

Megasoum

Banned
i believe the 'rules' for these things do not measure attachments like antenna; so you cant just add a 11m antenna to the top of an existing building, it has to be part of the structure.

If I remember correctly actually antennas don't count toward the total height. It has to be a "spire" (aka part of the actual structure and not just an attachment).

eastmen

Banned
You do know we'd need an asteroid first... Getting a suitable one would take sometime.
Also, we still do not have a strong enough material for the job.

why would we need an asteroid ? We can simply move the space station far enough out so that it maintain a proper orbit with little fuel .

lunchtoast

My heart would have stoped half way up that stupid thing. That is scary , your basicly dead if that little cord doesn't hold ya.

I don't think i could climb that if they even offered me 1 billion. Once I'd have to exit to climb that last bit i'd be done

Reminds me of Just Cause 2.

hayejin

My heart would have stoped half way up that stupid thing. That is scary , your basicly dead if that little cord doesn't hold ya.

I don't think i could climb that if they even offered me 1 billion. Once I'd have to exit to climb that last bit i'd be done

For me it'll be more scary climbing down after climbing all the way up there.

It will probably be finished before Freedom Tower, which has been under construction for about 8 years. America has really fallen behind China in architectural and engineering advancements.

aznpxdd

Interesting! I actually just went to Changsha a couple months back for business, pretty nice city I must say! If this gets built, I'll definitely drop by to take a look, as I'm only 3 hours away via the bullet train.

CiSTM

Banned
It will probably be finished before Freedom Tower, which has been under construction for about 8 years. America has really fallen behind China in architectural and engineering advancements.
Not really, pre-fab and 24/7 cheap labor is reason why China manages to do these things. In US I don't think any construction site works 24/7.

demolitio

That had A LOT to do with the politics involved as well though. Lots of progress made recently compared to the early years of construction that were at a crawl. I wouldn't use it as an example for engineering or architecture though. Hell, cities don't get buildings added to them all too often because they've already been developed for years and real estate is hard to come by for a good price and most companies don't want to commit to filling up the majority of one skyscraper anymore. Even then, the buildings added to a skyline aren't meant to be there for a record or to drastically change the skyline and the WTC buildings are an exception due to the circumstance.

Countries still developing and building major cities will always have a better shot of doing things like this or to be very ambitious. Not saying your statement has no truth to it of course, but to base it off of this and the WTC is comparing two different ideas in mind and political environments. The Freedom Towers were a mess from day one so I guess it's a good thing it finally came together, lol.

It's ambitious for this company to plan this but it wouldn't exactly make me feel the safest due to how they're planning to do it. Second floor for me please! :p

maharg

idspispopd
You know what's amazing? The Empire State Building was built in just over a year. In 1930. Buildings half its height take longer than that these days, for the most part.

Jimrpg

being a civil engineer - i agree in principle with the fact that yes it will be much quicker to build it with prefabricated materials but 90 days??? ill believe it when i see it.... what are they going to have a 100,000 workers running around trying to piece it all together?? will cause chaos and will likely result in serious setbacks...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom