• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chinese company plans to build world's tallest building in 90 days

Status
Not open for further replies.

CiSTM

Banned
being a civil engineer - i agree in principle with the fact that yes it will be much quicker to build it with prefabricated materials but 90 days??? ill believe it when i see it.... what are they going to have a 100,000 workers running around trying to piece it all together?? will cause chaos and will likely result in serious setbacks...

24/7, shift after shift, construction doesn't stop for a minute, that's one big plus. China has good record for these types of projects, given that any of them haven't been as big as this with the exception of the AP1000 power plants. Given that the plants won't be build in 90 days but they are build lot faster then they are in US/EU.

Neo C.

Pre-fab is smart. Nowadays lots of big buildings are built this way.

I also prefer megacities than suburban sprawl.

Riggs

Banned
My heart would have stoped half way up that stupid thing. That is scary , your basicly dead if that little cord doesn't hold ya.

I don't think i could climb that if they even offered me 1 billion. Once I'd have to exit to climb that last bit i'd be done
Why not just wear a parachute just in case?

Woorloog

Banned
100k people? Hmm... Doesn't China have multiple "cities" that are practically uninhabited, quickly constructed as the numbers look good in reports but no one actually moved into those?

why would we need an asteroid ? We can simply move the space station far enough out so that it maintain a proper orbit with little fuel .

Conventional space elevator is about 36 000 km long, give or take depending on the mass of counterweight and other needs. If you want to do it without a counterweight, it needs to be a quite bit longer. Using some sort rocket to keep it upright is not really feasible regardless, i think (but not sure).

Also, the asteroid could be used as construction matter for the elevator (assuming it has enough carbon for 36k km of carbon nanotubes), which would cut down lifting costs (and if we'd have a cheap enough system to lift that much material to orbit, we wouldn't need the space elevator really, the point is to provide a cheap surface-to-orbit system). And it could be converted into a habitat (depending if there's enough matter leftover) or a space station (one will be needed anyway, as the elevator works as ideal system for launch spacecraft to other planets).

maharg

idspispopd
100k people? Hmm... Doesn't China have multiple "cities" that are practically uninhabited, quickly constructed as the numbers look good in reports but no one actually moved into those?

I think you're thinking of Dubai. Not exactly a shortage of people in China to fill buildings with.

CiSTM

Banned

Conventional space elevator is about 36 000 km long, give or take depending on the mass of counterweight and other needs. If you want to do it without a counterweight, it needs to be a quite bit longer. Using some sort rocket to keep it upright is not really feasible regardless, i think (but not sure).

Also, the asteroid could be used as construction matter for the elevator (assuming it has enough carbon for 36k km of carbon nanotubes), which would cut down lifting costs (and if we'd have a cheap enough system to lift that much material to orbit, we wouldn't need the space elevator really, the point is to provide a cheap surface-to-orbit system). And it could be converted into a habitat (depending if there's enough matter leftover) or a space station (one will be needed anyway, as the elevator works as ideal system for launch spacecraft to other planets).
Carbon nanotubes are so 1990s.

Woorloog

Banned
I think you're thinking of Dubai. Not exactly a shortage of people in China to fill buildings with.

IIRC, in some thread about construction (or something) in China someone noted and linked an image of a "ghost town" noting they have many of these.
If i just remember what the thread was about...

Carbon nanotubes are so 1990s.

What's better then? They're the most advanced stuff we have currently, other strong materials are not as good yet, to my knowledge.

CiSTM

Banned
What's better then? They're the most advanced stuff we have currently, other strong materials are not as good yet, to my knowledge.
I was half joking, but only half :D Carbon nanotubes have had two decades to proven themselves and not that much progress has been made while Graphene was "discovered" only in 2004 and we are already focusing more on it, year after year nanotubes get less attention and funding since Graphene is taking over. Few years more and we have industrial size prints of Graphene sheets.

... Then again if history tells us anything, new materials need more then two decade to prove themselves, so it's still too early tell.

demolitio

No, they have ghost towns built to boost their GDP "artificially" along with one of their commanders mentioning they could or would be used in case of a major war as well. They still have a large number of people living in rural areas actually and that's part of their problem as well since those people are farmers who haven't really changed their ways in a very long time.

They have a big real estate problem that's been avoided for a while now thanks to the lessons learned from the U.S. along with some of the benefits of being so secretive. Pretty smart in some ways but very dangerous in others and it's been predicted to burst for years now but they've avoided it so far.

Woorloog

Banned
I was half joking, but only half :D Carbon nanotubes have had two decades to proven themselves and not that much progress has been made while Graphene was "discovered" only in 2004 and we are already focusing more on it, year after year nanotubes get less attention and funding since Graphene is taking over. Few years more and we have industrial size prints of Graphene sheets.

... Then again if history tells us anything, new materials need more then two decade to prove themselves, so it's still too early tell.

Oh. Them.
Graphenes are carbon too though, so not much changes.

2San

You know what's amazing? The Empire State Building was built in just over a year. In 1930. Buildings half its height take longer than that these days, for the most part.
That's probably because of accounting reasons though, rather than actual manufacturers skill.

Hypnotoad

Construction quality is pretty horrible in China. Most buildings look run down after 5 years, even in supposed "high-end" residential areas in Beijing and Shanghai. Which is a pity, but tearing everything down after 20 or so years is the norm. There are exceptions of course, but this one has me pretty doubtful. Fast construction comes without quality here.

hirokazu

Not sure why this is mocked. I would personally be concerned about the safety of a building constructed that fast from prefab parts, but if it does prove to work I don't see any issue with it. I haven't heard any issues with the previous rapid construction buildings, although I'm still not convinced at the moment. But if this is effective without jeopardising safety, then it's quite innovative in the speed of on-site construction/installation as well as the significant cost savings.

Or is it being mocked just because it's China?

It's an ugly building. Burj Dubai at least looks like a work of art this just looks like a blatant ploy to grab the "worlds tallest building" title for China

If it does go off without a hitch it will be a technical achievement for sure, but there ain't no fixing ugly

It's funny to read the complains from non-civil/structural engineers.
Prefabricated building parts have a higher quality and are cheaper. I see nothing impossible here.

Zeppu

0kk1y.jpg

Nevasleep

Why would a prefab building be riskier than a normal building.
Isn't the normal shell built, then the prefab apartments are slided in? - Depends on building it seems.

Enco

That would kinda suck though, haha.

"Wow you live in that huge building? I bet the view is nice."
"I live on the second floor."
"Oh..."

It's like, why even live there if you can't live really high up. :p
This.

Gotta go high. Ground floor/first floor should be a double lobby to avoid losers who want to go low.

Yeah, the Dubai building was built so that they could add height in case someone tried to beat them marginally like this. Still looking forward to how fast the construction will be.

sflufan

Banned
WTF is with all these buildings looking like the Citadel in City 17?

Did the architects REALLY enjoy Half-Life 2 or what?

1epmkbzl.a1q.jpg

You can almost see the Shanghai Tower emerging out of the clouds here.

7185237587_2fcf44d840_b.jpg

c2Z0c.jpg

Not close to being done and it's already huge. Yet some of these proposed towers dwarf it. Pretty crazy.

maharg

idspispopd
The World Financial Center looks like it was designed to confuse anyone intending to fly a plane into it. I think it's a rectangle in the actual building, though.

esquire

Has waited diligently to think of something to say before making this post
Is there an architectural advantage to making a skycraper building so tall as opposed to one that isn't so tall? Seems like a lot of these are being made simply because they can and not because it's an efficient use of financial or technical resources.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Pretty comfy.

ifnLkVf5CNhIO.png

Looking at this image makes me a little upset. I can feel myself sliding off and falling to my death.

I love all these amazing new projects though, that helipad on the kingdom tower looks like the stuff I read about in sci-fi books as a child.

tino

Banned
The World Financial Center looks like it was designed to confuse anyone intending to fly a plane into it. I think it's a rectangle in the actual building, though.

Originally it was designed with a circle on the top, the Chinese were pissed that it was too closely resemble the Japanese flag. It was changed to the ugly ass square, which made it look exactly like a shopping bag. Most Chinese still don't like that building.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom