• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chinese documentary "Under the Dome" on air pollution goes viral, 200 million views

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chai-Jing-in-Under-The-Do-010.jpg

A documentary released at the weekend by the Chinese journalist Chai Jing purporting to tell “the truth” about China’s air pollution has caused a national storm, with more than 200 million viewers already. Part of the reason Under the Dome has been hailed such a revelation is that until now the issue of pollution in China has been, in many ways, a closed book. During last year’s Apec summit in Beijing, for example, the government swiftly shut down American embassy readings of PM2.5 (harmful microparticles in pollutants) levels that revealed less than clean air.

Over two hours long, Under the Dome is a comprehensive look at pollution in China and the most high-profile investigation the public has seen. It has wedged open a relatively opaque window on facts and figures, lifted the lid on how lax the system is on polluting industries, and how serious pollution is all across China – not just in the symbolic capital of Beijing.

Chai also highlights those most at risk or worst affected by dangerous pollutants: such as villagers in Shaanxi province, whose lives were engulfed by smoke from nearby coal plants and a six-year-old girl who admits that she has never seen blue sky.

For three days straight, it was the only topic on China’s social media platforms
It was an eye-opener for many, particularly given the unprecedented access the journalist gained on the ground. The documentary shows factories breaking regulations and authoritative figures who speak frankly, revealing the scathing truth that rules are simply ignored and that punishment stunts growth and costs people jobs.
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/mar/05/under-the-dome-china-pollution-chai-jing

Over the weekend in China, 175 million people — more than the entire population of Bangladesh — watched a newly released in-depth and well-produced documentary about the country’s debilitating smog problem. Produced by former Chinese news anchor and environmental reporter, Chai Jing, the 104-minute “Under the Dome” has caught the Chinese public at a moment of intense focus on the wide-ranging impacts of air pollution from coal-fired power plants and vehicle emissions.
In a country known for spiking any media that paints the government in a bad light, the documentary has not been firewalled. China’s new environment minister, Chen Jining, even praised it on Sunday, saying it reflected “growing public concern over environmental protection and threats to human health.” He also compared it to the 1962 publication of Rachel Carson’s Silent Spring, which is often credited with inciting the environmental movement in the U.S., especially when it comes to the use of pesticides.
While some are also comparing the lecture-style film, which is replete with charts and visual aids, to Al Gore’s 2006 “An Inconvenient Truth,” Chai’s original motivation for making the self-sponsored film was deeply personal. She used to pay little attention to the smog engulfing her home city of Beijing, but that was before she found out she was pregnant in 2013. Shortly thereafter, she discovered in a sonogram that her child had a benign tumor.
“I’d never felt afraid of pollution before, and never wore a mask no matter where,” Chai, 39, says in the video. “But when you carry a life in you, what she breathes, eats and drinks are all your responsibility, and then you feel the fear.”
Chai told the People’s Daily that she reconciled herself to the fact that her daughter, who survived after surgery, would be a major part of the video. “If I had not had this kind of emotional impetus, I would have found it very difficult to spend such a long time completing this,” she said.
http://thinkprogress.org/climate/20...se-air-pollution-documentary-clears-the-haze/

Some seem to think it is helping boost solar stocks.
Solar stocks soar 32% as Chinese documentary goes viral
Published: Mar 6, 2015 1:25 p.m. ET

NEW YORK (MarketWatch)—One popular way to bet on solar stocks, the Guggenheim Solar ETF TAN, -2.84% is up 11% this week, helped by factors that include a widely viewed documentary about smog in China.

The solar exchange-traded fund has gained 32.3% in the year to date as of Thursday’s close, making it the best-performing U.S. ETF so far in 2015. That’s according to XTF.com data that excludes leveraged ETFs. The adjacent chart shows the Guggenheim Solar ETF’s rally. Two rivals aren't far behind, as both the Market Vectors Solar Energy ETF KWT, -2.26% and iShares Global Clean Energy ETF ICLN, -2.73% boast year-to-date advances of 24.8%
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/solar-stocks-soar-32-as-chinese-documentary-goes-viral-2015-03-06

I hope this movie helps get China to improve their air quality standards.

The documentary:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6X2uwlQGQM

Here is the FULL video with FULL translation. Great video and documentary :)

Fiktion

Banned
China has made some moves towards environmentalism lately, such as their carbon emissions pact with Obama.

Secretary of State John F. Kerry turned to his Chinese counterpart at lunch last month at Legal Sea Foods’ Harborside restaurant and drew attention to the view of Boston Harbor.

The port was once a symbol of pollution, Kerry told China’s chief diplomat, Yang Jiechi. But after persistent government effort, Kerry explained, it was dramatically cleaner.

“This is a small example that shows that these big problems can and must be addressed,” Kerry told Jiechi over squash bisque, Maine cod, and Boston cream pie.

The exchange, related by a senior State Department official with direct knowledge of the Oct. 18 meeting, marked a turning point in the Obama administration’s efforts to get the world’s two biggest polluters to commit to lowering the greenhouse gas emissions causing climate change.

The landmark agreement, announced this week by President Obama and President Xi Jinping of China in Beijing, came after months of behind-the-scenes discussions involving other officials in addition to Kerry.
Yang flew nonstop on a commercial flight from Beijing to Boston on Hainan Airlines, a service that was inaugurated in June. Yang and two aides arrived at the home of Kerry and his wife, Teresa Heinz Kerry, in Louisburg Square on Beacon Hill. They exchanged gifts, with Kerry receiving vases and Yang given an original, hand-colored engraving showing the corner of Beacon and Park streets overlooking Boston Common.

The group had cocktails and a dinner of potato ravioli and rack of Berkshire pork prepared by Boston chef Lydia Shire. Entertainment for the evening was provided by Chinese-born harpist Jessica Zhou of the Boston Symphony Orchestra.
Kerry has urged global action to curb rising carbon dioxide emissions for decades, as has his wife, working through her philanthropic organizations. Indeed, their romance was first kindled at a climate conference in Brazil in 1992 and they co-wrote a 2008 book about the issue titled “This Moment on Earth: Today’s New Environmentalists and Their Vision for the Future.”

“He has had a personal interest in climate change going back to when he worked with Al Gore in 1988 on the first climate hearing on Capitol Hill,” said Andrew Holland, senior fellow for energy and climate change at the American Security Project, which was cofounded by Kerry after his failed bid for the presidency in 2004.

Under the climate deal, the two countries agreed to reduce carbon emissions by at least a quarter of what they were in 2005 over the next decade. That is about twice the current targets.

Abounder

Banned
The film doesn’t let government officials off the hook, either, and there are sections criticizing the lax approach to regulation enforcement. For example, when it comes to vehicle emissions standards enforcement, Chai finds that trucks sporting the claim they meet the “China IV” emissions standards actually fall far short. She then determines that no cars have been recalled since emissions standards were passed in 2004 enforcing the regulations.

So much for environmental reform, tragic. And not only is the pollution and regulation terrible but the health care can't keep up either. Hopefully this doc ignites a long-lasting social media phenomenon to make some changes.

Part of me wants to be cynical and be like "No way" but even from a business perspective you have to think they might just so they can continue their growth without millions dying from airborne pollutants over the years

Are the filmmakers in jail yet?

Weirdly, no. Not only is she not in jail, the documentary was first put up on the state newspaper's site (though it's since been taken down, last I'd heard). I expect that at this point even China's government is willing to admit that it's a problem.

Corgi

Banned
Had one of the dummie moments the other day trying to get english subs to show up properly... until I remember I can speak chinese lmao. Been years >.>"

jl4855

it literally requires extra effort / energy to breathe, its the strangest thing. my friend doesnt let his kids out if its over 150, there were some days we were there it topped 350-400. and here in NA we complain if it's like 30-40.

Corgi

Banned
It's bizarre that they let it be as long as they did, honestly. I wonder if the idea was to let it function as an outlet for some of the frustration the population feels with the idea of doing this to lock everything back down now that such a thing has happened.

Alternatively: Good ol' Communist Party infighting.

probably this. Would have been shut down way earlier if they really wanted to.

it literally requires extra effort / energy to breathe, its the strangest thing. my friend doesnt let his kids out if its over 150, there were some days we were there it topped 350-400. and here in NA we complain if it's like 30-40.
I've read that > 500 AQI is the equivalent of 1/6 of a cigarette a day. if you're in the non-smoking section of a restaurant and there's still smoking nearby, the equivalent AQI would be in the thousands, apparently. if true, I'm not less concerned with air pollution so much as I'm horrified how bad cigarettes are.

Here are the current North America AQIs: http://aqicn.org/map/northamerica/#@g/37.3699/-108.8947/4z. As you can see, the 50 - 100 range is fairly common in larger centers.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
This slide of an air quality sampler filter after 24 hours of being in regular activity is horrifying:

oDDS3Io.png

probably this. Would have been shut down way earlier if they really wanted to.

Yeah, that's the most likely explanation. The censoring faction can't just bury their heads in the sand forever, though, not with all the stress over pollution that has been building up in the population over the years.

Also weird is that the big government meeting is this week in China and a big focus was on pollution and getting some iron clad changes going asap. It seemed like they approved of the message at first but taking it down now makes me wonder. The people are behind the documentary it seems, lots of the officials are hard up to make environmental changes and economic ones since their growth is slowing down, now its time to clean up, but who knows what will happen when all is said and done.

This slide of an air quality sampler filter after 24 hours of being in regular activity is horrifying:

oDDS3Io.png
I'm going to have to watch the entire documentary to see the context because this surprises me. It wouldn't be unusual for a HEPA filter to look like this after 2 - 4 weeks of continual use, but 24 hours?

These folks made a DIY air filter that reduces air pollution substantially and their filters last about a month: http://smartairfilters.com/en.html#compare

LLShC.gif

Well that sucks. But I'm sure many clever Chinese will still be able to access it. And with 200 million having seen it, it is not like it can be erased from history.

This seems like something that they'll want to deal with though . . . because even if you are rich business person, a powerful official, or otherwise successful . . . what good is your success if the air you breathe is killing you?

Pagusas

Elden Member
I've read that > 500 AQI is the equivalent of 1/6 of a cigarette a day. if you're in the non-smoking section of a restaurant and there's still smoking nearby, the equivalent AQI would be in the thousands, apparently. if true, I'm not less concerned with air pollution so much as I'm horrified how bad cigarettes are.

Here are the current North America AQIs: http://aqicn.org/map/northamerica/#@g/37.3699/-108.8947/4z. As you can see, the 50 - 100 range is fairly common in larger centers.

Holy shit, look at Hawaii

They should just build a giant fan and blow all the dirty air somewhere else.

But then I guess you run the risk of pushing the whole country in the other direction. Wouldn't want to blow China out to sea! I guess you would have to point the fan eastward, so China only moves west a bit. Buttress it against the rest of Asia. It might scrunch the Himalayas up a bit, but it wouldn't move as much.

I'm going to have to watch the entire documentary to see the context because this surprises me. It wouldn't be unusual for a HEPA filter to look like this after 2 - 4 weeks of continual use, but 24 hours?

These folks made a DIY air filter that reduces air pollution substantially and their filters last about a month: http://smartairfilters.com/en.html#compare

china-pollution_3222425b.jpg

Residential buildings are seen amid heavy air pollution in Wuhan, China Photo: Reuters

Also weird is that the big government meeting is this week in China and a big focus was on pollution and getting some iron clad changes going asap. It seemed like they approved of the message at first but taking it down now makes me wonder. The people are behind the documentary it seems, lots of the officials are hard up to make environmental changes and economic ones since their growth is slowing down, now its time to clean up, but who knows what will happen when all is said and done.
Perhaps she had the connections to get this project off the ground and distributed but it became too popular too quickly and people higher up the pay grade weren't impressed with the online sentiment.

I'm amazed how well the Northeast does.

dramatis

Visuals I can relate to!
That animation was hilarious, especially with the terrible voiceover lol

Chai Jing, the documentary filmmaker, was suspicious of the result that she got from testing in the labs too. She explains the results in the documentary.

The clip that covers the filter is pretty early on in the documentary, so you don't have to look far for it.

dramatis

This seems like something that they'll want to deal with though . . . because even if you are rich business person, a powerful official, or otherwise successful . . . what good is your success if the air you breathe is killing you?
They'll just buy houses elsewhere in the world and live there.

That animation was hilarious, especially with the terrible voiceover lol

Chai Jing, the documentary filmmaker, was suspicious of the result that she got from testing in the labs too. She explains the results in the documentary.

The clip that covers the filter is pretty early on in the documentary, so you don't have to look far for it.

This is what the DIY filter looked like running in Beijing:
tumblr_inline_nepf341WYM1s4lgm1.png

I suppose that proprietary filter, which is a lot smaller, may get saturated more quickly compared to a larger one.... I realy should just watch to get the context. But I made it about 5 minutes before and I'm not a fan of how it's presented.

e: she explains it about 5 minutes in. It's a device to collect a sample, not an air filter itself, whic his what divvy wrote if I had bothered to read closely. derp.

Central California exceeds 125 ever year

On certain days, the air quality in Fresno is worse than Shanghai and Beijing.

Holy shit, look at Hawaii

Sulfer Dioxode and ozone are off the charts, particles are fine, volcano issue?

BobLoblaw

Banned
Still need to watch this. Glad it's getting such a large amount of traffic. China is severely jeopardizing their future for short term game.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Just finished it and I thought it was really well put together and researched. It seems to me that China has all the means to reverse this, it only depends on the government's willingness to deal with the problem with it's whole ass.

The Lamp

I'm going to China in a couple of months for a required 5 week study abroad...I'm really scared of my health being affected by the pollution. Should I be worried?

I'm going to China in a couple of months for a required 5 week study abroad...I'm really scared of my health being affected by the pollution. Should I be worried?
I don't think you should be scared unless you have preexisting health problems that could be exacerbated by air pollution. 5 weeks is nothing. Where will you be going?

I really hope this sparks action. The powers that be in China know and recognize that pollution is a very real thing that can destabilize thier hold on to power (it's why this documentary wasn't pulled right away), so that's encouraging.

ISOM

5 weeks? You will probably have aged 5 years by the end of your study. Enjoy yourself :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom