• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chinese women rent boyfriends on Singles' Day to avoid badgering parents

Status
Not open for further replies.

ccbfan

Just a heads up for everyone.

Chinese parents tend to want another Chinese that can speak the language they speak , so you need to at least speak Mandarin. Extra bonus if you can speak the local dialect they can.

Chinese parents tend to want another Chinese that can speak the language they speak , so you need to at least speak Mandarin. Extra bonus if you can speak the local dialect they can.

You are generalizing.

Sure its better if they have a chinese bf/gf, but the parents of my gf see me as another son. They wouldnt want any other chinese bf for her daughter, just me.
And when I first was in China I couldnt speak one word of Chinese.

Now I speak Beijinghua.
I know a lot of intercultural relationships, where the parents dont really care if the bf/gf is japanese, american, european.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member

Generalization that depends on the parents. I figure most wouldn't mind if the dude is Chinese.

If my mom is any indication, no black people and no Japanese :p. I ended up with a Korean girl but she did say she liked the Chinese girl I was dating before who could speak mandarin/Cantonese

Takuan

Lmao @ the chick's expression in the OP pic. That needs to be a Coli emoticon...

coli_lol4vi8x.png

Best I could do.

ccbfan

You are generalizing.

Sure its better if they have a chinese bf/gf, but the parents of my gf see me as another son. They wouldnt want any other chinese bf for her daughter, just me.
And when I first was in China I couldnt speak one word of Chinese.

Now I speak Beijinghua.
I know a lot of intercultural relationships, where the parents dont really care if the bf/gf is japanese, american, european.

Generalization that depends on the parents. I figure most wouldn't mind if the dude is Chinese.

If my mom is any indication, no black people and no Japanese :p. I ended up with a Korean girl but she did say she liked the Chinese girl I was dating before who could speak mandarin/Cantonese

Oh I'm not saying that Chinese parents would not allow their children to date other nationalities (I myself dated Whites and Koreans before).

But many still prefer Chinese for cultural and language reasons.

And considering the whole point of this is to please their parents, why not pick someone they know their parents will like.

tino

Banned

Not if they are Shanghainese, in that case they would be okay with a white dude.

Oh yeah I went there.

Speaking as someone who have used the Chinese dating sites. Its as popular in the major Chinese cities, if not more popular than the US online dating culture. I have 3 old Chinese classmates who mate their SO online; here in New York, most of my coworkers and friends still meet their SO the traditional way.

edit: and I want to expend on it, I think the some the reasons are 1) China has a significant migrant work force concentrate in Canton and the coastal cities and 2) Chinese people and culture is more homogenous in the most part. 3) dating show fucking huge in China. My wife watch the all the timr holy shit I can not stand them.

Rad-

Sometimes situations get awkward. One 26-year-old Xu Li recalls that he impressed a woman's parents so much that they invited him to spend the night in their daughter's bedroom.

"I slept on the floor that night," he says.

King beta right here.

Crocodile

People have watched the Unreported World Channel 4 documentary "China's Lonely Hearts", right? It's related to this.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=03QdBjXy2Fk&desktop_uri=/watch?v=03QdBjXy2Fk

Neat and informative documentary. As a black dude I'd be lying if I said I didn't cringe every time the "Love Hunter" was going on and on about how this woman was too dark skinned or that woman was too dark skinned. Granted this isn't news to me with regards to how even non-Caucasian cultures tend to view skin color but its never comforting to have that reaffirmed :(

Italian expat Joe Celano, 29, says he was asked by two female colleagues to be a fake boyfriend. He recalls a 27-year-old woman offered to pay him 8,000 yuan for a one-week trip to meet her parents during Spring Festival.

"That was ridiculous," Celano says."I'm a man of faith and I can't accept this. It's cheating. In addition, I think Chinese parents should bear part of the blame for their daughters' desperation."
I have no idea how much 8,000 yuan is but I want to slap the shit out of this dude.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Neat and informative documentary. As a black dude I'd be lying if I said I didn't cringe every time the "Love Hunter" was going on and on about how this woman was too dark skinned or that woman was too dark skinned. Granted this isn't news to me with regards to how even non-Caucasian cultures tend to view skin color but its never comforting to have that reaffirmed :(
Eh, don't be too discouraged. When I was in Korea teaching, this HUGE Black guy was one of the new teachers. He scared the crap out of the students but once they got to know him, I'd argue he was the most popular teacher there.

You hear the same in Japan as well, so China will come around some day.

Also, that poor guy died in Seoul halfway around the world from home...RIP Marc... :'(

Nesotenso

It is something I really hate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom