• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chivalry: Medieval Warfare |OT| My battle cry brings all the boys to the yard

How does this play with a controller? I only played the beta with a mouse and keyboard but it didn't feel smooth on my system, so I'm thinking of playing it at my TV which has a lower native res than my monitor for better frames.

Controllers good for extended periods of time, and all the buttons are mapped nicely. Its good to see that this game is getting the attention it deserves. The only thing that irks me is when someone hits through my block but otherwise fantastic game

ZoddGutts

Not sure how long this will last but Chivalry has dethroned XCOM again for the number one selling spot on Steam. I think this game will have a pretty strong community as long as they continue to support the game. Congratulations, Torn Banner!

Yeah, Torn Banner plans on releasing Free DLC content and also more modes like Duel Mode.

Sniping is so hard in this. Does anyone have any tips? My hand feels rigid trying to track a target, I can't properly compensate for sudden movements so I just end up shooting at nothing.

Sniping is so hard in this. Does anyone have any tips? My hand feels rigid trying to track a target, I can't properly compensate for sudden movements so I just end up shooting at nothing.

You and I both. It's actually impressive I miss as much as I do, as you would think the odds would say Id hit SOMETHING eventually, even if by blind luck! lol

I'll compensate for drop, direction, put it on the money, etc..... nothing. There appears to be SOME trick to it, as Ive ran into a lot of quality archers today.

So the community for this now is about 4k peak, is it growing or contracting?

Growing steadily and peaking at about 4500. Get a bit higher every day. This game started really small and has doubled in numbers in a few days. Having hit the top on steam sales, having soilid reviews and word of mouth it looks like it will keep growing. Hopefuly it wil and maintain a good community for a long time to come. What I've learned about people who like thee type of games(Jedi academy/Mount & Blade) they don't tend to move on quickly.

Small hotfix incoming tomorrow:

Torn Banner Studios said:
Hello Everyone! Release week was completely insane- we are very happy with the interest in the game so far and even managed to hold the #1 sales spot on both Steam and Gamer’s Gate at various points throughout the week! We are very pleased that the game is being received so well and could not be more motivated to keep working on it as a result. We have a bunch of new content in the works for you but first we have to get to the fixes as we know there are some bugs that are holding some people back from enjoying the game. So, just 6 days after the release of our game we are announcing that:

We will be releasing the first hotfix tomorrow at 9AM PST.

Changes:
- Removed stats reset and improved rank/unlock system reliability (weapon unlocks will no longer reset)
- Fixed crash with server browser
- Fixed exploits.
- Auto-Team Balance on by default in all official servers
- Auto-Team Balance changes to give you notification and not count as death

- Fixed being able to join servers that were already full and overload them
- Now can only see game servers that are running the same version of the game as you are

We also want to make it clear- this is a hotfix, not a patch. So we know there are still bugs we need to fix and we are working on them, keep in mind its only been 6 days since release. Bugs suck and are frustrating, we understand and we are doing what we can to fix them! Further patches and updates are still coming - thank you for your patience and understanding.

Thank you for helping us take the first step towards making our dream come true, we can’t wait to show you what else we have in store for future updates.

Growing steadily and peaking at about 4500. Get a bit higher every day. This game started really small and has doubled in numbers in a few days. Having hit the top on steam sales, having soilid reviews and word of mouth it looks like it will keep growing. Hopefuly it wil and maintain a good community for a long time to come. What I've learned about people who like thee type of games(Jedi academy/Mount & Blade) they don't tend to move on quickly.

Thanks. A number of my friends have bought it, if they stick with it, I may end up buying a copy as well. I'm just wary of indie multiplayer games. I've purchased a number over the years that had their communities dry up in a matter of weeks.

phaonaut

Any others interested in splitting a 4 pack? I can purchase the pack, I'll check back in 30 mins. If I get at least one person, I'll do it.

18.75 vs paying 24.99

edit: didn't get anyone, so just getting a single copy

Updated the hotfix notes a few posts up with complete details from the website. They wanted to make it clear that this is a hotfix and that patches and new content are still forthcoming.

Steam Store is showing achievements now

http://store.steampowered.com//app/219640

Nice.

Yes! Maybe they are going live with the update today?

I swear it's always done that, right?

Or I could be imagining things.

Nope. The achievements were not listed before.

Pretty pissed off ive lost two weapon unlocks because of the reset stats bug :(

It should be fixed in the hotfix today but that does suck. :/

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Does anyone else have the game hard crash if you hit the sort by ping button twice while the server list is updating?

This happens on both my work and home machines...

Does anyone else have the game hard crash if you hit the sort by ping button twice while the server list is updating?

This happens on both my work and home machines...

Yeah I crashed maybe 8 times before I figured out just dont click sort by ping. Filter full and empty and pick a game that way.

Ferrio

Banned
Played it last night, silly fun. Coming behind enemy lines and chopping down 4 people with a greatsword before being descended upon was awesome.

Friendly fire is no joke in this game. If I see more than 2 of my team on a single person I avoid that fight.. cause I'll take/give more damage to my friends than the enemy.

514MB loading now, quiet big for a hotfix considering the main download was merely 2,3gb.

Their target for release was 3GB according to Kickstarter but the Steam system requirements list 7 GB and the recommended requirement on their official homepage is 9GB. I'm guessing they have a lot of content planned for later.

As for the size of the download, they could be preloading some future stuff along with the hotfix today.

Played it last night, silly fun. Coming behind enemy lines and chopping down 4 people with a greatsword before being descended upon was awesome.

Friendly fire is no joke in this game. If I see more than 2 of my team on a single person I avoid that fight.. cause I'll take/give more damage to my friends than the enemy.

Yeah, I step back when there is a large group of allies on one enemy. There are ways to prevent hitting teammates (mostly avoid slashing) but some people just make no attempt at avoiding friendly fire so it's best to step away. Worst of the bunch are the archers firing into the mess. It's funny watching 3 or 4 teammates die in one of those fights even though the single enemy didn't get a chance to swing his weapon.

Yeah, I step back when there is a large group of allies on one enemy. There are ways to prevent hitting teammates (mostly avoid slashing) but some people just make no attempt at avoiding friendly fire so it's best to step away. Worst of the bunch are the archers firing into the mess. It's funny watching 3 or 4 teammates die in one of those fights even though the single enemy didn't get a chance to swing his weapon.

I fire into melee all the time. I rarely ever hit teammates and when I do, they are usually knights so they don't mind the damage. :p

ibtYZw3HWZQ4Bc.gif

Man, I can't connect to any servers and they all seem to be full. Anyone else having issues?

Edit: Browsing the main forums for the game it seems that most people are having these issues. Looks like a hotfix may be in order!

ShaneB

Yeah, there's the mobile battle cry (aka random awesome yelling), which is X, and there is the stationary battle cry with fancy animation which is C.

And THEN there is the taunts/messages.. which is Z.. and then brings a few options. Z -> 4 -> 4 is Laugh.. which equals good times.

I like this game. Sleeper of the year along with The Walking Dead. It's different, fun, funny, has character and feels like it has depth to a relatively simple set of mechanics, easy to grasp, takes time to stop sucking. And it looks like it's going to receive some decent support.

The only thing they're probably not going to address that I'm not a fan of is the unnecessary unlock system. Other than that it's polish stuff, like the clunky, buggy server browser or the unsmart idea to desaturate the screen when your health is low in a game where there is no other way to tell friend from foe than the color of their armor. Speaking of that it's also easy to get confused when you're blue and a bloody teammate runs towards you. Especially the knights are tricky.

Etc. And such.

Top Bottom