• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chivalry: Medieval Warfare |OT| My battle cry brings all the boys to the yard

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Yea if they set it up like the old Rocket Arena mod for Q2/3 that'd be awesome.

For those not in the know, it had special maps with multiple mini arenas in them so multiple people could duel at the same time without interfering with each other.

Dyno

Played some last night. This game is insane!

You run like a crazy person with a group of buddies, screaming your head off, trying to overwhelm an opponent. Most fights are two or three on one and they are horrific in their violence. It was mostly sickening but a friend and I couldn't stop laughing the whole time. It's mindless bloodshed and yet astonishingly real feeling.

Even if you only play this game for an hour it is an essential experience.

Does anyone know how to do that double left swing? I've seen some people do it.

They'll swing left, then swing left immediately afterwards but it's a lot faster and starts at around the halfway point of the swing.

Mephala

Holy shit. This game is fantastic. I absolutely suck though. I always panic when I get surrounded and have no idea what to do.

I can kill people in LTS and I have great pleasure in charging past knights and men-at-arms to charge strike an archer, this tends to work well in LTS for me as I'm pretty horrible in fighting but being at the tip of the spear I see a lot of raised swords in parry attempts as I bolt past them for their archers, my team then essentially gets a free hit on the enemy. My survival rate is still abysmal but fuck it is fun.

Any advice on what to practice? Currently using Vanguards but also dabble with Men-At-Arms. I find it difficult to use knights due to their slow running speed. :\

Spat_triate

No, Feinting is done on swing windup. This is literally right as the first swing is ending with no downtime or windup on the second.

I noticed someone doing it consistently and he said: swing -> combo -> cancel combo -> swing again. Your timing has to be immaculate though.

Paertan

Personally I think the words "Attacker" and "Push" are pretty easy to understand. But apparently not. Few games get me as frustrated as this game. Most of it is because if the completely incompetent teammates I end up with.

That combined with a buggy game, lag affecting fights and weird hit boxes made me put a fist into my keyboard for the first time for a very very long time. I'm talking Mario Kart levels of frustration.

Luckily I have some friends that bougtyh the game, I actually got the game from a friend who bought a four-pack. So that solves my main issue. Not touching this game without friends anymore.

Still think the game is fun, and has the potential of being great.

Main thing I want fixed is reverse speed. Backing away from an enemy should be slower, especially for Vanguard and Knight.
It might be to early to say but I also feel like the faster weapons are not fast enough. It feels lite the advantage of a short sword against a halberd is too small.

You need to relax. Just think of it as stupid fun. Charge in and lop some heads off. Having friends to play with would definitely help.

At least that's how I cope with the game's shortcomings.

Paertan

You need to relax. Just think of it as stupid fun. Charge in and lop some heads off. Having friends to play with would definitely help.

At least that's how I cope with the game's shortcomings.

Yeah I know. Gonna try. It is just something about teambased objective gameplay that brings out the devil in me. In any 1vs1 games like fighting games I couldn't care less if I win or loose.
The language I use while playing BF3....

EDIT: Oh another things that get on my nerves. The run button should always mean run. Example at the beginning of a spawn. If I hold run button I should spawn running. Same thing if my running gets interrupted. As soon as my character is able to run he should start running.
Thats not just in this game. In all games that kind of controls feel like bad programming to me. It should be "If key is pressed > Run" not "When key is pressed > start running". Same goes for all commands not just running.

Erdem

Banned
I can't stop playing this game, it absorbed me for the last few days. The combat is so fun and so much skill goes into fights. I just hope the developer made enough money to support it.

Mephala

How do you unlock new weapons?

I've been playing this quite a bit lately and I think I am getting better. I'm no longer afraid of 1v2 like I used to be and massive melees I tend to do fairly well at. I find spamming shield using Man-at-Arms to be the toughest enemies, I think I need to get my sensitivity up so I can keep up with their dodging. They keep getting behind me and then hacking at me.

I have been mostly playing TD and LTS but today I tried TO and it was much better than I expected. We had "Defend the King" first. I entered late and we were a bit behind, I generally don't like typing text into the chat box but when I found I was the only one trying to save the king from 3 guys on my death I spammed "king" into the chatbox a few times. When I got back to the king he was surrounded by allies and we effectively sealed off a small area which had 3 entrances. I guarded the left side with an archer and a knight. We destroyed everyone who came at us. It was glorious. At one point I got a triple kill with a single slash taking two heads and simply cutting down the third. An ally Man At Arms came along to help and kind of got in the way of our Knight's sword. He did, however, manage to get off his firebomb, which burned the enemy and myself. I was burning any way and close to death so I made a mad dash for the archer shooting at us. I rarely hit so well with the Vanguard's charge attack. I cut him down in a single stroke then burned to death before his corpse hit the ground.

The next map involved stopping the enemy pushing the cart. It went pretty terribly. We had lost both sections then got slaughtered and lost the defend the gates objective as well. Finally, defend the King's Family. We had a small fortress with a few rooms with some NPCs inside. The fortress had a few entrances, some obvious and some pretty damn sneaky. I have no familiarity with the map so I just headed to the "defend" markers. I lingered around there most of the time and went to help when I saw or heard fighting near by. It is here that I really decided that my favourite role in the grand scheme of things is not really killing the enemy, but distracting them long enough for allies to get away or get the kills. I stood at one of the entrances and fought off 6 enemies with two archers behind me. I never suspected I can block three weapons coming at me so fast. If my archers missed any I'd probably have died in a second but the arrows stopped some of the attacks coming and I managed to hold until they got some kills and I managed to fight back.

A few times as I was running back to the defense points from spawn I turned a corner or went up a path and came face to face with a single enemy. We both stopped and checked ourselves before we commenced a 1v1. These moments where you concentrate on a single enemy despite knowing that there is somewhere else you needed to be and also knowing that your 1v1 could suddenly turn into a group fight pretty quickly is exciting as hell. Especially when the enemy is of about equal skill level to you and the fight is close. There was one point where I went from one 1v1 into another on my way to the defense point. It got so bad that I simply turned away and stood my ground at that entrance where I was cut down by three enemies, I was disappointed until I heard the long scream and clash of swords on armor as two allies rushed in to avenge me.

Such a fun game.

Clott

First time playing since the black out, I assume the game has received an update because my performance has gone absolutely down the toilet. IS anyone having the same experience?

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Too many blatant teamkillers. Not the accidental ones or the kills after the team has won the round, but chopping down teammates right at the start and continuing, as if it was FFA.

Too many blatant teamkillers. Not the accidental ones or the kills after the team has won the round, but chopping down teammates right at the start and continuing, as if it was FFA.

What's worse is the people abusing the no windup glitch.

It's funny watching one guy with a halberd kill people with his elbow.

Mephala

I've been playing Duel and TO servers. Usually, when someone starts glitching noticeably they get kicked. Could just be on the Aus servers though, these guys are pretty cool.

I've played some FFA as well, this seems to be the best way to go for getting weapon unlocks for me. At least, melee weapons.

Grief.exe

This game has moved to the top of my steam wish list, right in front of FTL.

Can't wait for the steam sale to pick it up, I know I'll be going in on a 4 pack with GAF.

grate

Anyone looking to grab it on sale should do so at Green Man Gaming this weekend. It's $16.25 (cheaper than a 4 pack) with voucher code GMG35-5BRU6-ZDRX7.

As a heads up, I've only been able to complete GMG purchases with PayPal, banks/credit cards really don't like this site.

I've clocked 30 hours in this game since release, I absolutely love it. Getting used to the melee combat can take a bit of effort, but once things start clicking it is a blast.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I got this yesterday and already played quite a bit. First impression is very strong. I absolutely love M&B Warband to death and played multiple hundreds of hours in it. My experience from that actually carries over. It is very easy to fool people in combat and get easy kills, especially with long weapons. I haven't found out everything there is to the combat yet but it seems deep enough to keep me going.

As an aside, I had the game hooked up dual display at work, one of them being the big plasma TV I have mounted on the wall. We were having a yugioh tournament and some of the players would war cry when they drew cards or whenever I would lol

Dawg

I'm still loving this game, but I too have noticed an increase in glitchers and hackers and stuff.

Also noticed it became harder to kill the king in TO because of archers everywhere. Once I enter the keep, their arrows blot out the sun.

Picked this up during the weekend and it is stupid fun and I'm amazed at how subtly hilarious it is too. I've been playing with a controller and it works pretty great though dashing is a little hard with the analog stick and as far as I cant tell there aren't any actual options for it. I might try to joymotion it with a PS3 controller so I can re-map some stuff like movement to the dpad.

Paertan

Playing Vanguard and charging up a fist is hilarious! XD
FALCON PUNCH!!
Instant-kill if you hit. Run like hell if you miss!

I can safely say the best thing about this game is the inclusion of the shout key.
Seriously, nothing more satisfying than running around shouting "FOR AGATHAAAAAAR!"

Running around laughing does come close though.

Torn Banner is beta testing the first major game patch. The patch notes and details are below:

Patch Notes: http://www.chivalrythegame.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5698

This is a BETA and there may still be bugs and issues we have not found in our internal testing. We will only be hosting server(s) that are located in Virginia (US East) so if you do not get decent pings to that location, it is recommended you wait for the official release! You will not be able to have both the beta and the official version of the game in your game list at the same time -- switching between the two versions will incur downloads of up to 1GB.

Slots are limited as we can only host a limited number of servers!

If you have read the above and still wish to test the beta, please following these instructions:
1) Right Click "Chivalry: Medieval Warfare" on your game list
2) Hit Properties
3) Click on the "Betas" tab
4) In the dropdown menu, select the "Beta" branch. You should see "Successfully opted into the 'Beta' content beta.
5) Close the window and the next time you go to launch the game, Steam will automatically begin to download the update.

If you wish to go back to the release build, follow the above steps, except in the drop-down menu, select "NONE - Opt out of all beta programs."

Friends keep ranting about how good it is, but 25 dollars is too steep for my wallet atm. Any Canadian players mind telling me how their ping is in game?

Enco

This game kinda dissapointed me.

Warband has it beat in my opinion.

The game is glitchy as hell but the latest update kinda helped a bit. The gameplay is kinda fun overall and it has it's moments but it's not stunning.

This game kinda dissapointed me.

Warband has it beat in my opinion.

The game is glitchy as hell but the latest update kinda helped a bit. The gameplay is kinda fun overall and it has it's moments but it's not stunning.

It's a bit glitchy but I prefer jumping into this for 5-10 minutes of play over Warband.

Once you have the melee system figured out it's pretty much a breeze getting killing sprees.

Try one of the Arena FFA 24/7 servers.

That's pretty much all I do in this game now.

Enco

It's a bit glitchy but I prefer jumping into this for 5-10 minutes of play over Warband.

Once you have the melee system figured out it's pretty much a breeze getting killing sprees.

Try one of the Arena FFA 24/7 servers.

That's pretty much all I do in this game now.
It's definitely easier than Warband.

One thing that really blows my mind is how the server list doesn't show game mode. Who on earth thought that was a good design decision? I mean holy crap.

It's definitely easier than Warband.

One thing that really blows my mind is how the server list doesn't show game mode. Who on earth thought that was a good design decision? I mean holy crap.

Game mode is shown in the map name.

ffa = Free For All

koh = King of the Hill

to = Objective

lts = Last Team Standing

tdm = Team Deathmatch

If you want to search for specific modes you can just type the desired mode in the map filter.

Top Bottom