• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Choose a game/series, and describe the small details that elevate the experience

Neiteio

By ”small details elevating the experience," I mean touches that add to the game's personality, its sense of place or adventure, etc.

For me, these are often the difference between a game I like and a game I *love.* Done correctly, they're worth the extra effort!

(NOTE: This thread is a repackaging of one I started earlier that was locked over apparent concerns of scope. I've now expanded the scope to add value by focusing discussion on *all* games that put in extra effort where detail is concerned.)

Among some of the most famous examples:

- The Souls/borne series, with their environmental details that tell a story based on where you find them. It's an essential narrative technique in a series of ”show, don't tell." Exploring the aftermath of Bloodborne's Unseen Village, for example, is like reconstructing a crime scene, with countless bodies frozen in the throes of their final moments. There's a sense of history to each location — a true sense of "if these walls could talk." Reading between the lines is everything in these games, and that's only possible because there's sufficient detail on the periphery.

- The Metal Gear series, with codec calls/cassette tapes that spend countless hours giving dissertations on topics ranging from history and nuclear deterrence to the local wildlife and cuisine of Costa Rica (thanks, Peace Walker!). It's a Kojima indulgence that some may find tiring, but that I personally enjoy since it adds to the game world's density of ideas. This is also the series where, in MGS4, booting up the game treated you to live-action video of sleek PMC ads and talk shows (including a bizarre cooking segment) establishing the media landscape of the Patriots' war economy. Before you even begin the game, MGS4 is already establishing the tone and texture of its near-future dystopia (well, now past future — MGS4 was set in 2014!). I wasn't a fan of the game overall, but there's no denying its attention to detail.

- The Grand Theft Auto series, perhaps the king where detail is concerned. I've always been most impressed by how they created an internet you can surf within the game, as well as a variety of TV shows and commercials to watch on the in-game TV. GTA is very much satire about our media-saturated culture, and there's something deliciously meta about delivering this commentary by way of a fake internet and fake cable network inside a billion-dollar videogame franchise.

Now, the above are all well-known examples (feel free to go in-depth on more specific examples within them, if you wish)... But I'll kick things off with one game I didn't expect to feature its own share of detail: Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle.

The game features a strong gameplay foundation that smartly expands upon the XCOM formula, and frames each battle with exploration phases featuring puzzles to solve and secrets to find. It has lovely art direction and a soundtrack by Grant Kirkhope. But what makes the game more than the sum of its parts are all the fine details that add to the game's overall richness.

For example, Peach's Castle, the hub area, changes over time. In many games, this space would be static, but here it feels alive because it evolves alongside your progress. As you complete each world, elements from that world will appear in the hub. Peach's Castle starts out looking like this:

2017082917173100-9600y6u6z.jpg

And a few worlds in, it now looks like this:

2017090517041001-9600lzun6.jpg

Note the addition of the windsock, the marbles, the hot air balloon, the popsicles, the toy blocks, the palm trees, the banana bunch, the honey tube, the spider webs, the Goomba stuck to the wall, and the giant toilet balancing a Goomba on a bidet. And this is just one view of the castle — you can circle around it exploring the grounds where you'll find even more elements that weren't there before. This serves as a reminder of where you've gone and how far you've come.

Speaking of how far you've come, another detail I appreciate is how each world appears to have a moment that drives home the scale of everything, and how it's all connected. Similar to Dark Souls, where you can see one area from another (i.e. Ash Lake and Demon Ruins from Tomb of the Giants), there are moments such as this one descending from the clocktower in Spooky Trails, where you can see Spooky Square off in the distance, and Slime Swamp down below:

2017090403303000-9600mmuud.jpg

2017090403424300-9600dquco.jpg

Or this moment near the penultimate chapter of Sherbet Desert, where you reach the summit of a mountain and survey a panoramic view of the canyons you climbed, the temple ruins you explored, and the (even taller) frozen mountains ahead:

Moments such as these allow you to reflect on the distance you've traveled and the challenges you've overcome. They also allow you to see how these different areas, which feel so intricately designed at the micro level, fit together on the macro level. Design like this gives the game a strong sense of place that was lacking from the more abstract "floating levels" of Super Mario 3D World, and that hasn't really been seen in the (3D) Mario titles since Super Mario Sunshine, where you could see Ricco Harbor from Bianca Hills, or Pinna Park from Serena Beach. It creates a sense of thematic cohesion.

It's not only when you're approaching the end of each world, either. Ancient Gardens, for example, gives you a fixed point toward which you're progressing — a tower of toy blocks, looming in the distance, which you see again and again as you navigate the lush jungles and sandy shoals, sometimes closer and sometimes farther away. This reminds me of the PS3/PS4 game Journey, where a mountain summit with a beacon of light shining in the distance gives you a sense of where you're heading.

2017082917441703-9600rhu24.jpg

2017082919254401-9600inu15.jpg

2017083001013300-9600iau06.jpg

There are many other small details I appreciate. For example, the way the music's melody stays the same but the instrumentation changes depending on the situation, including differences during the enemy and player phases of battle, or how the music changes from "hot" to "cold" as you move from the desert area into the snow area, changing seamlessly. It's a technique Grant Kirkhope first used in Banjo-Kazooie, and it works just as well here.

There are also background elements that move in sync to the music, such as the thumping flowers in Ancient Gardens, the jumping beans on the bongo drums in Sherbet Desert, or the harp-playing vines in Spooky Trails:

2017090402285601-96002dqml.jpg

Or how about the way each character has a unique "duck and cover" animation when a teammate fires across their grid space; or how the Bucklers (shield enemies) stick their hands up in the air when you position yourself behind them; or how Rabbid Peach, ever the diva, casually leans against half-cover and gives her enemies side-eye; or how Rabbid Luigi runs around on fire before doing the stop, drop and roll. The list goes on. The characters also each have their own expressions of joy, suspicion, shock and fear that I find adorable.

I even like how each of the game's 250+ weapons has its own unique name, model and description, despite the fact you only use each of them for a short period of time before they become obsolete and you buy a new one with stronger stats and better attributes. It's like an elaborate visualization of the leveling system — unnecessary, but appreciated in how much personality it adds to a game already bursting at the seams with it. It's a credit to the artists to put so much work into something you'll only see and use fleetingly:

2017090120015700-960024rmf.jpg

So these are just some of the small details and thoughtful touches that elevate the gameplay experience for me, making the world feel more immersive and complete.

How about you? Is there a particular game or game series where the small details really enhance the overall experience for you? What are some of your favorite examples? (Pictures illustrating your points are especially appreciated!)

_____

Banned
im sure everyone noticed how in spec ops the line, walker slowly starts to change appearance as he becomes more battle damaged, but what you might not have noticed is how his voice commands change as well, becoming more gruff and angry as the time goes on

not to mention how every time the screen fades to white, it denotes that he's hallucinating, helping to give context as to what is real and what isn't

Neiteio

im sure everyone noticed how in spec ops the line, walker slowly starts to change appearance as he becomes more battle damaged, but what you might not have noticed is how his voice commands change as well, becoming more gruff and angry as the time goes on

not to mention how every time the screen fades to white, it denotes that he's hallucinating, helping to give context as to what is real and what isn't
Spec Ops is the game inspired by Heart of Darkness/Apocalypse Now, right? I've always been interested to try it but I heard it has a scene where
people get torched by white phosphorous
, and I'm not sure I have the stomach to handle that, even if it's a videogame. :-x

Mephala

Gravity Rush

All the side quests and gossips. If you play this series you will. immediately notice one thing, the side quests are mostly inconsequential nonsense. A girl might ask you to follow her boyfriend around town and snap evidence of him cheating or a reporter asks you to infiltrate an area and photograph a crime taking place or you are running along tagging NPCs handing out flyers. All of this, is nonsense and is purely to ground Kat into the world. These are her days in the cities and what she does, who she is, what is the life to these people.

I remember reading a review saying that the change in title from Gravity Daze to Gravity Rush for the Western release was a bad move. I tend to agree. Daze gives a better impression of Kat simply going through the motions of finding a life in these cities. It plays on words and sounds like Gravity Days too. Rush gives the impression that the game will be fast and action packed which sometimes it is but it really isn't the point of the game.

The world is also pretty dark. The story throws shit at you and these is often no good resolution. Sometimes you do. everything right but it's not enough and most folk you speak to have accepted their lot in life. They will explain things to Kat as she is the outsider here to help but ultimately her abilities are limited and she has virtually no politely sway. It comes back to the mayors and rulers and other important figures to try and make the world better.

FiveSide

Banned
One "small" thing in games that can elevate the experience tremendously, and really set the mood, is how the game handles saves.

ICO is a good example. In most games, you go into a menu and save, or save after each completed level, etc. But in ICO, the experience of saving the game is turned into a cute little moment where Yorda and Ico sit on a bench and relax. The animation for this is fantastic and captures not only the brief moment of respite and levity, but also the lighthearted body language emphasizing that they're both just children. The save system becomes a pretext for subtle character-building.

Another good example is in classic Resident Evil. Unless you really go crazy with saving, you're never realistically in danger of running out of ink ribbons. But the very fact that saving is a commodity rather than a luxury - something that can actually be lost if you misuse it - keeps you on your toes. There were a lot of huge changes to the RE formula in RE4, but in my opinion one of the biggest ones was actually the unlimited saves.

Fat4all

Banned
Spec Ops is the game inspired by Heart of Darkness/Apocalypse Now, right? I've always been interested to try it but I heard it has a scene where
, and I'm not sure I have the stomach to handle that, even if it's a videogame. :-x

it's a fantastic scene because it hits you out of nowhere

if you already know about the scene it kinda takes away the impact, but its still the point where the game shifts a great deal

Neiteio

Another good example is in classic Resident Evil. Unless you really go crazy with saving, you're never realistically in danger of running out of ink ribbons. But the very fact that saving is a commodity rather than a luxury - something that can actually be lost if you misuse it - keeps you on your toes. There were a lot of huge changes to the RE formula in RE4, but in my opinion one of the biggest ones was actually the unlimited saves.
I agree that the limited ink ribbons is a thematically appropriate detail in old-school Resident Evil (my favorite series, btw), although I'd caution it's one that's tricky to balance. Cast in point: My wildly different experiences between REmake, RE2 and RE3. REmake felt stingy with ink ribbons, despite me being relatively conservative on my blind playthrough; I reached a point where I was out of ribbons and had to do everything from the armor puzzle up to the Old House in one go (Yawn included); then I finally found another ink ribbon and was able to save. RE2, on the other hand, showered me with ink ribbons left and right; I never felt at risk of being unable to save, and if anything the abundance of resources made RE2 feel more like an action game. RE3 struck the best balance, I feel — I only had a few ink ribbons at a time, always enough to save but never enough to abuse the system. But again, your mileage will vary depending on your play style. :)

_____

Banned

It is very worth it, even for the story. The white phosphorous scene is an integral part of the game.
You don't directly see the carnage happening except through a computer a la the ac 130 from modern warfare, but you definitely see the aftermath, but its nothing worse than what was in doom 2016
I won't say anymore because you need to play it to experience it.

I do recommend you play it though, it is a very well executed story about the dive into insanity and the meaning of war. If you ever felt discontent with the one sidedness of pretty much every military shooter of the last several years, its a wonderful response to it, and it looks great to boot.

Fat4all

Banned
I feel like Earthbound would feel very different without the rolling HP counter

71-hproll.gif

i love that little detail

Neiteio

I feel like Earthbound would feel very different without the rolling HP counter

71-hproll.gif

i love that little detail
Wasn't EarthBound/Mother 2 also one of the first RPGs (maybe the only one) where under-leveled enemies will run away from you in the overworld and be automatically defeated if you touch them? I thought that was brilliant.

Neiteio

It is very worth it, even for the story. The white phosphorous scene is an integral part of the game.
You don't directly see the carnage happening except through a computer a la the ac 130 from modern warfare, but you definitely see the aftermath, but its nothing worse than what was in doom 2016
I won't say anymore because you need to play it to experience it.

I do recommend you play it though, it is a very well executed story about the dive into insanity and the meaning of war. If you ever felt discontent with the one sidedness of pretty much every military shooter of the last several years, its a wonderful response to it, and it looks great to boot.
I'm curious what you mean by "if you ever felt discontent with the one sidedness of pretty much every military shooter of the last several years." Is this a reference to how Spec Ops avoids glorifying war and instead depicts things in more human terms? (That's what I've heard, anyways, and knowing the apparent literary inspirations, it wouldn't surprise me.)

_____

Banned
Is this a reference to how Spec Ops avoids glorifying war and instead depicts things in more human terms? (That's what I've heard, anyways, and knowing the apparent literary inspirations, it wouldn't surprise me.)

Hmm, yes and no. You end up killing hundreds of enemies by the end, nearly all of which are faceless and with few lines of dialog, so in some respects it is glorifies war. The flipside is that you start to see how the actions you cause ripple effects that eventually come back to you and are put in a lot of perspective in the end. The idea of choice is also brought up a fair bit as a meta-narrative discussion

I really don't want to say more lest I spoil it. All I can say is that I finished it in about 6 hours, and it was totally worth it.

Neiteio

Shadow of the Colossus
This is awesome and makes me want to crack open the HD collection gathering dust on my shelf. Haven't played SotC or Ico. Also haven't played Last Guardian, which I also own (a Christmas gift). Not in the mood for super-serious games at the moment. Also a bit wary about the controls... although what I saw of SotC in the Easy Allies beach house stream was pretty great, especially the music. <3

Hmm, yes and no. You end up killing hundreds of enemies by the end, nearly all of which are faceless and with few lines of dialog, so in some respects it is glorifies war. The flipside is that you start to see how the actions you cause ripple effects that eventually come back to you and are put in a lot of perspective in the end. The idea of choice is also brought up a fair bit as a meta-narrative discussion

I really don't want to say more lest I spoil it. All I can say is that I finished it in about 6 hours, and it was totally worth it.
Hmm, I'm definitely intrigued by Spec Ops. I especially like that it's apparently a short game. I appreciate more digestible experiences these days. It's good when a game knows when to quit, rather than overstaying its welcome and diluting its own impact.

Syril

In Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door, Goombella having something unique to say about literally every NPC and screen in the game.

Samikaze

In the original Brothers in Arms games, it took place over the span of 6 days in the Normandy invasion of WW2.

The first night, your character's faces were well rested and clean shaved.
As they progress, they start to get stubble, have some small scars and dirt, and look heavily sleep deprived with bags under their bloodshot eyes.

Considering this was 2005 on the original Xbox and PS2, it's pretty impressive.

zeemumu

KH to KH2. Making it faster, adding more combo variety, and adding scenery to the gummi ship missions made things so much better

Samikaze

I love that about it. In those short hours, I still believe if has some of the best character arcs in gaming. Even better than a 60 hour RPG.
Seeing everyone go from "X is my firm belief!" to "I'm ready to murder X because of Y!" was done so subtly and believably.
It's amazing they packed so much in so little time.

FiveSide

Banned
I agree that the limited ink ribbons is a thematically appropriate detail in old-school Resident Evil (my favorite series, btw), although I'd caution it's one that's tricky to balance. Cast in point: My wildly different experiences between REmake, RE2 and RE3. REmake felt stingy with ink ribbons, despite me being relatively conservative on my blind playthrough; I reached a point where I was out of ribbons and had to do everything from the armor puzzle up to the Old House in one go (Yawn included); then I finally found another ink ribbon and was able to save. RE2, on the other hand, showered me with ink ribbons left and right; I never felt at risk of being unable to save, and if anything the abundance of resources made RE2 feel more like an action game. RE3 struck the best balance, I feel — I only had a few ink ribbons at a time, always enough to save but never enough to abuse the system. But again, your mileage will vary depending on your play style. :)

Wow, I nearly ran out of ribbons multiple times in RE2, but finished REmake with about a dozen left over. YMMV indeed haha!

I agree that RE3 balanced it best though. I consistently had like 3-4 ribbons. Enough to not be screwed, but also a small enough amount to keep me sharp.

Neiteio

In the original Brothers in Arms games, it took place over the span of 6 days in Normandy,.
The first night, your character's faces were well rested and clean shaved.

As they progress, they start to get stubble, have some small scars and dirt, and look heavily sleep deprived with bags under their bloodshot eyes. Considering this was 2005 on the original Xbox and PS2, it's pretty impressive.
Bloodborne does something similar with, well, blood. It's pretty satisfying trying to get as far as you can without resting since the blood from your enemies will keep accumulating until you're practically crimson with it, as seen in this screen I took below:

bloodborne_20150403037pudl.jpg

Mediking

Persona 3 FES: Witness an experience full of great music and characters and gameplay that makes you think before you act.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Gravity Rush

All the side quests and gossips. If you play this series you will. immediately notice one thing, the side quests are mostly inconsequential nonsense. A girl might ask you to follow her boyfriend around town and snap evidence of him cheating or a reporter asks you to infiltrate an area and photograph a crime taking place or you are running along tagging NPCs handing out flyers. All of this, is nonsense and is purely to ground Kat into the world. These are her days in the cities and what she does, who she is, what is the life to these people.

I remember reading a review saying that the change in title from Gravity Daze to Gravity Rush for the Western release was a bad move. I tend to agree. Daze gives a better impression of Kat simply going through the motions of finding a life in these cities. It plays on words and sounds like Gravity Days too. Rush gives the impression that the game will be fast and action packed which sometimes it is but it really isn't the point of the game.

The world is also pretty dark. The story throws shit at you and these is often no good resolution. Sometimes you do. everything right but it's not enough and most folk you speak to have accepted their lot in life. They will explain things to Kat as she is the outsider here to help but ultimately her abilities are limited and she has virtually no politely sway. It comes back to the mayors and rulers and other important figures to try and make the world better.
So much this. This why I love doing the side quests in Gravity Rush 2. It really give me Slice of life feel.

For me is NieR Automata :
this when u in Route C and you choose 9S. when you hack A2 couple of times you get this.

Y3gmxWw.png

Neiteio

Flower's hub gradually being edified after each level.
Yes, I loved this touch (and this game &#8212; vastly preferred it to Journey). Flower's changing hub mirrors what I talked about in the OP with Peach's Castle gradually changing to reflect the worlds you visit in Mario + Rabbids.

Another detail I like about Flower's "sense of place" is how you start out in the unspoiled wilderness of the distant countryside &#8212; a grassy hill under bright blue skies &#8212; but with each successive level you encounter more and more manmade elements, such as windmills, power towers, and eventually a city itself. This city in the final level, which then bursts into bloom as you work your way through it.

I think the idea is that the hub is the home of someone who feels trapped by city life; they're staring out their open window daydreaming about nature; and the wind brings nature to them. It's about getting back in touch with the natural world amid the hustle and bustle of civilization. The way the wind restores color to areas drained of it is another reflection of this concept.

Again, all of this is conveyed through the mere detail of things changing subtly from one level to the next. It's an elegant example of small touches creating a profound effect.

DesiacX

Although these might better fall into the "Video game developers confess their hidden tricks at last" thread, they are also small things make Smash Bros a more enjoyable experience. For example, since Up on the analog stock is jump and also needed for Up-Smash, they made it so that when a character jumps, they are considered as on the ground for the first few frames of it, and the jump can be cancelled by the up-smash (More info here). If this wasn't a thing, there'd be alot of unintentional jumps into up-air.

Directional Influence is a commonly known technique amongst competitive players, and its worth noting because even though each game has at least 1 variation of it, Smash 4 is the only one that i know of that actually tells players it exists, and even then, its in one of the loading screen tips. When you get hit, if you hold a direction, your character will be influenced to move in the direction you held. While for competitors, its something that allows you to position yourself and dodge combos, for people who aren't that deep into the game, its something that taps into the heat of the moment movements players make (You know the kind) in an attempt to make their character to survive.

While the series has a few others things that i feel fall into this, these are the two that i think best conveyed the idea of being something small or in the background, but definitely enhancing the experience.

Video games tends to be podcast time for me unless it's story driven or the sound design and/or music is exceptional. Sound design can elevate anything, add depth and atmosphere and tension to the simplest of graphics

Capsule
ss_2e3791c8093ff86610a5c109e83ceb0caec5b860.600x338.jpg

Playing Capsule in the dark and with headphones is a must. Your labored gasping breaths. The scrambled radio signals fading in and out across the expanse (of space? the ocean depths?). The muted rumbling when you collide with debris. In terms of crafting a tangible tense atmosphere through audio and sound alone, Capsule is masterful.

Darkwood
ss_212eaf1e681809dbdf30e139ad0a905d215680b5.600x338.jpg

The sound design is some of my favorite out of all the horror games I've played. The drawn-out screech as you drag a wardrobe over to block an opening. The creek of an opening door. The heft of your swings when you attack. Your panting breath as your stamina drops. The otherworldly moans and guttural sounds out there in the darkness.

Battle Brothers
ss_2ed5eff851e0562800376e4903e9bf3a2dcdde76.600x338.jpg

For a game where the combatants have no limbs and only the slightest animations, Battle Brothers' combat feels brutal and satisfying, and the sound is way. The crunch of bone beneath mace, the wet slicing of flesh by spear and blade, the explosive shattering of shields. You feel the power of every impact, the gory result of every injury.

For me it has to be F-Zero GX. Just WHY did they decide to give each and every one of the 40 characters their own theme tune, their own ending movie, and their own interview answers to every question for every difficulty! That game needs a DX version on the Switch and it needs it now.

redcrayon

Fallout:
I love the way there is so much detail that begs your imagination to fill in the blanks. A hotel room has a skeleton with a briefcase full of money and a gun, for example. Was he a spy? A criminal? Who knows, the nuclear apocalypse left a lot of stories unfinished. Well, prematurely finished, perhaps!

Monster Hunter:
The creature behaviour patterns inspired by real animals. Some stalk, leaping sideways, ready to pounce. Some adopt defensive stances, or use their sheer bulk to overwhelm you, or roar in defiance, increasing their silhouette as they spread their wings etc to present a larger threat. Some pin you with talons, looking to bring their beaks and claws into play, or throw you into the air, looking to grab and consume you. You can see the behaviour of big cats, birds of prey, lizards or snakes etc informs them. It really helps sell them as frightening giant predators that want to eat you, not just reduce your HP to zero.

Syril

Although these might better fall into the "Video game developers confess their hidden tricks at last" thread, they are also small things make Smash Bros a more enjoyable experience. For example, since Up on the analog stock is jump and also needed for Up-Smash, they made it so that when a character jumps, they are considered as on the ground for the first few frames of it, and the jump can be cancelled by the up-smash (More info here). If this wasn't a thing, there'd be alot of unintentional jumps into up-air.
That's actually a standard fighting game thing going as far back as Street Fighter 2. It was needed for move inputs that involved upwards directions to be doable.

hzsn724

For me, it will always be the sounds the enemies made in the original Resident Evil.

Clicking for dogs, shuffling/groaning for zombies, and the snapping of fingers for Hunters. I even remember reading a beginners guide in GamePro saying if you heard this sound then it's this enemy.

But the most memorable for me is when I walked into a room and heard something I had never heard before. That was terrifying and either made me pause and hold down the aim button in hopes I could kill it, or turn around so fast and go back out the door.

Pure genius and I had never experienced anything like that in a game before.

demon's souls

music and voice acting delivery being ever so slightly off which adds to the disturbing atmosphere

by the way, nice op neiteio

i always enjoy your writeups

TheMoon

Man, do not miss out on this classic! The scene is very impactful but, as someone else mentioned, you already know it exists. I'm sure you'll manage to stomach it.

One neat detail I love about Spec Ops: The Line is how it presents player choice/agency with subtlety. There are moments in the game where you'd normally expect to be stuck watching a scripted scene play out and mayyyyyybe given a choice via UI prompt or an objective pop-up but you can actually already intervene/act using your normal mechanical toolset. You just need to try and do it. It never beats you over the head with it, it just lets you play naturally like that.

One of last gen's finest. No doubt about that.

TheMoon

Wasn't EarthBound/Mother 2 also one of the first RPGs (maybe the only one) where under-leveled enemies will run away from you in the overworld and be automatically defeated if you touch them? I thought that was brilliant.

Yep. Auto-defeat upon battle initiation for low-level fodder. Best mechanic ever.

Hmm, I'm definitely intrigued by Spec Ops. I especially like that it's apparently a short game. I appreciate more digestible experiences these days. It's good when a game knows when to quit, rather than overstaying its welcome and diluting its own impact.

Took me 8h+ so you can still get some mileage out of that if you're like me and ...wait, who am I talking to ...you WILL 100% MOST DEFINITELY end up staring at the environments a lot since the game is absolutely gorgeous in a dystopian wtf-happened-here kind of way.

Neiteio

demon's souls

music and voice acting delivery being ever so slightly off which adds to the disturbing atmosphere

by the way, nice op neiteio

i always enjoy your writeups
Hey, thanks. Glad you enjoy them :)

Video games tends to be podcast time for me unless it's story driven or the sound design and/or music is exceptional. Sound design can elevate anything, add depth and atmosphere and tension to the simplest of graphics

Capsule
ss_2e3791c8093ff86610a5c109e83ceb0caec5b860.600x338.jpg

Playing Capsule in the dark and with headphones is a must. Your labored gasping breaths. The scrambled radio signals fading in and out across the expanse (of space? the ocean depths?). The muted rumbling when you collide with debris. In terms of crafting a tangible tense atmosphere through audio and sound alone, Capsule is masterful.
What am I looking at here? What kind of game is Capsule?

The way Samus' visor reacts to all the environmental effects and enemy attacks in Metroid Prime, like vapor condensing and little droplets of water falling on it in the rain. The first time I saw Samus' own eyes reflected in the visor was truly magical.

Here's a vid showcasing the various effects (you can see her eyes around 3:04).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2P4p0VU76w

Having recently played Chrono Trigger, I also have to mention the sidequest to revive Fiona's Forest:

89-image105.png

92-image108.gif

93-image109.gif

They didn't need to make Robo's sprite appear on the world map tilling and sowing the fields, and acting as a scarecrow, but they did. And the game is better for it.

Persona 5- Two come to mind. All Persona games have SOMETHING, but P5 is especially recognizable.

The first is the notes you see on screen whenever you please a Confidant (partner in crime, or a friend, basically) or boost some stats in daily life. It's such a nice touch.

The second is the fact that as your Proficiency stat increases, Joker starts to spin his phone and pencils in his hand increasingly smoothly and it looks amazing.

Kssio_Aug

This is awesome and makes me want to crack open the HD collection gathering dust on my shelf. Haven't played SotC or Ico. Also haven't played Last Guardian, which I also own (a Christmas gift). Not in the mood for super-serious games at the moment. Also a bit wary about the controls... although what I saw of SotC in the Easy Allies beach house stream was pretty great, especially the music. <3

Oh, if you haven't played SotC or ICO you totally should! (can't speak about The Last Guardian cause I still haven't played it myself) They're both amazing games with very nice gameplay mechanics. Really, give it a try, you probably will not regret! And while they have a serious tone the narrative is really short, there's not much dialogue, the game speaks with you more with the environment and gameplay than text, and they do it pretty damn well.

Bandit1

I absolutely love the slings on long guns in Uncharted 4/The Lost Legacy. Plus how Drake/Chloe will take them off their back and lay them between the seats when they get in a 4x4.

Swiggins

Persona 5- Two come to mind. All Persona games have SOMETHING, but P5 is especially recognizable.

The first is the notes you see on screen whenever you please a Confidant (partner in crime, or a friend, basically) or boost some stats in daily life. It's such a nice touch.

The second is the fact that as your Proficiency stat increases, Joker starts to spin his phone and pencils in his hand increasingly smoothly and it looks amazing.

Holy shit, I was playing this last night and noticed how he was flipping his pen around and I said out loud, "...has he always done that?"

Neiteio

Having recently played Chrono Trigger, I also have to mention the sidequest to revive Fiona's Forest:

89-image105.png

92-image108.gif

93-image109.gif

They didn't need to make Robo's sprite appear on the world map tilling and sowing the fields, and acting as a scarecrow, but they did. And the game is better for it.
This is a great touch. I only played the beginning of my DS copy of Chrono Trigger, but the detailed overworld map was my favorite touch in general. For example, the balloons over the town with its festival.

Mephala

Xenoblade Chronicles X

When you talk to NPCs throughout the different main story advancement stages they all have different opinions on the current situation. Sometimes these change with side missions too. For example there is actually a lot of side commentary about racism towards the aliens. Some are typical distrust while others are concerned about sharing resources or bringing more attention from the enemy etc. Eventually it reaches some boiling points and some NPCs start acting out of line with murder, kidnaps, blackmails etc. Not everything always has a happy ending but once the sequence is over if you retrace the steps and speak to the remaining NPCs involved they often have some nice little dialogue about how they learned from this and hope to all improve together so that humans understand the aliens more and the aliens are more aware of how to not annoy humans.

The writing in the game is actually pretty bad I thought but there are some moments in some of the side content and the overall themes are pretty good.

Neiteio

Xenoblade Chronicles X

When you talk to NPCs throughout the different main story advancement stages they all have different opinions on the current situation. Sometimes these change with side missions too. For example there is actually a lot of side commentary about racism towards the aliens. Some are typical distrust while others are concerned about sharing resources or bringing more attention from the enemy etc. Eventually it reaches some boiling points and some NPCs start acting out of line with murder, kidnaps, blackmails etc. Not everything always has a happy ending but once the sequence is over if you retrace the steps and speak to the remaining NPCs involved they often have some nice little dialogue about how they learned from this and hope to all improve together so that humans understand the aliens more and the aliens are more aware of how to not annoy humans.

The writing in the game is actually pretty bad I thought but there are some moments in some of the side content and the overall themes are pretty good.
The sheer volume of changing text in XCX was a bit overwhelming. I mean, I loved how alive the world felt with seemingly all of the NPCs changing what they say on a regular basis, but it made me want to canvas the entire world after every quest and talk to everyone again, lol. And I thought the writing was quite good.

Mephala

The sheer volume of changing text in XCX was a bit overwhelming. I mean, I loved how alive the world felt with seemingly all of the NPCs changing what they say on a regular basis, but it made me want to canvas the entire world after every quest and talk to everyone again, lol. And I thought the writing was quite good.

I did too actually. In fact when I realised this was happening I did slow down in progression and try to do more side content, talk to more NPCs and what not but at times this was also frustrating because the game would tease you about the Skells and flight modules which were locked in the next chapter for example.
I don't think the writing is offensively bad or anything but I don't think it is very good most of the time. At the very least it is inconsistent.

Top Bottom