• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chris Matthews (MSNBC) suggests Clinton might run for Gov. of NY in 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday, Chris Matthews (host of Hardball on MSNBC) suggested that Hillary might run for Governor of NY in 2018. Here are the facts:

The 2018 New York gubernatorial election will take place on November 6, 2018, to elect the Governor of New York, as well as elections to the United States Senate in other states and elections to the United States House of Representatives and various state and local elections.

Incumbent Democratic Governor Andrew Cuomo announced his intention to seek a third term on November 15, 2016.

While Cuomo is a democrat and did just have a fun PR run with Bernie over the free college plan, he's pretty unpopular. His ratings dropped in Sept. after a big scandal.

Mr. Cuomo’s rating was down one point since April, when 41% of voters said his job performance was excellent or good. His lowest approval rating was 37% in May 2015.

The poll was conducted between Wednesday and Friday, a period during which nine people associated with Mr. Cuomo’s administration, including a longtime top aide, were charged by federal prosecutors with public corruption involving some of the governor’s signature economic-development programs.

Source.

Now as much as
most of
GAF hates her and refuses to recognize any good she's every done for our country, I think that this is a pretty great idea. Hillary still has time before her age would require her to start settling down for retirement. She's extremely popular in New York and I really want her to continue her political career. Lord knows the New York public school system could really use her help, and a lot of us really look up to her as a role model.

Thoughts? Inb4 she's poison, her career is over, Bernie would have won, she uses Gmail, etc.

kmfdmpig

Would she want to do so though? After the grind and then disappointment of the election I wouldn't think she'd want to jump back into politics so soon (or ever considering her age). Particularly when she'd be going against an incumbent Democrat.

Now as much as [SPOILERmost of[/SPOILER] GAF hates her and refuses to recognize any good she's every done for our country

Thoughts? Inb4 she's poison, her career is over, Bernie would have won, she uses Gmail, etc.

Inb4? You did it yourself.

I think she should be done with politics in an official capacity...maybe some sort of ambassador role.

WillyFive

Seems like a safe election to run at least; the results of the NY votes shows her to be pretty much royalty there.

XenodudeX

She would have to prove to the voters up there why they should vote for her over the republican choice. If she does a good job doing that, she will win most likely. I think she would've made a great president, so I think she'll make a great governor.

Would she want to do so though? After the grind and then disappointment of the election I wouldn't think she'd want to jump back into politics so soon (or ever considering her age). Particularly when she'd be going against an incumbent Democrat.

I think she would want to. Politics are her passion. She's got mad love for New York and for improving the lives of children. This would be the place to do it.

She would have to prove to the voters up there why they should vote for her over the republican choice. If she does a good job doing that, she will win most likely. I think she would've made a great president, so I think she'll make a great governor.

She got 59% of the vote there, it's honestly a matter of beating Cuomo in the primary

I think it's unlikely that she would even think about doing this, though. It's weird speculation on Matthews part. She's done with running for office.

aceface

It would be amusing just because it would explode the heads of all the dipshits I live with here upstate.

But, I think her time in politics is over. If anything, a more progressive democrat might get some run here. Zephyr Teachout ran a fairly successful primary challenge to Cuomo last time.

Sephzilla

Why? She should keep fighting. We all should.

I think at this point its been established that people don't really want Hillary Clinton anymore. Democrats didn't show up for her in the general election and she lost to Donald freaking Trump. Democrats should keep fighting, but I don't think they're fighting for Hillary

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Chris Matthews says a lot of things.

She's not going to run AGAINST Cuomo. If he backed out of a third term, sure.

Cuomo is going to be eyeing the Presidency soon. Who knows though I would assume he'd stay on as Governor if at all possible till 2020 rolled around. That may be too early for him though or he keeps fucking up and tanks his approval ratings.

Eidan

I think at this point its been established that people don't really want Hillary Clinton anymore. Democrats didn't show up for her in the general election and she lost to Donald freaking Trump. Democrats should keep fighting, but I don't think they're fighting for Hillary

More people voted for Clinton in 2016 than voted for Obama in 2012.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Can't wait to senher get smashed again.

I'd love to never see the Clinton machine in politics again.

Barzul

Not a New Yorker so mostly indifferent. If she was a good senator for them, one would think she'd be great as governor as well.

The people of New York absolutely wanted Hillary Clinton.

netBuff

Well, she did win the popular vote handily and did get pretty much the same amount of votes as Obama in 2012.

He would have to agree not to run for a 3rd term.

I like the idea of her running for governor. It would make it harder for me to not want to move to NY(C).

Blader

How in the world could she ever want to subject herself to another election?

Cuomo is going to be eyeing the Presidency soon. Who knows though I would assume he'd stay on as Governor if at all possible till 2020 rolled around. That may be too early for him though or he keeps fucking up and tanks his approval ratings.

Cuomo has done some good, but he also seems exactly like the kind of guy who would run for president, win the nomination, and lose handily to Trump.

You're literally making facts up right now. Stop.

Horns

It's not a bad thing for her to run for governor. As much as I like her and support her, I'm OK with whatever she does in politics besides run for president again. Not because of her, but because there are a lot of stupid people who are stupid enough to believe lies about her.

WillyFive

I don't see Cuomo doing well in a Presidential race. The past election shows the rest of the country doesn't feel like New York shares their values, Cuomo is of Italian descent (therefore to white America he's foreign), and his brother is on CNN, so he will get blasted for liberal media bias.

Mii

Banned
They're overblowing Cuomo unfavorables. As of now he still wins easy. Considering he's probably best shot at 2020 for Dems weak bench, I'd rather see Cuomo 3rd term.

megalowho

Cuomo would have my vote over her if it came to it, which I don't think it will. And if Cuomo doesn't run I'd much prefer a fresh faced Democrat at the head of the ticket than Hillary.

Yup.

The scenario in which Clinton runs is if the Dems feel they need to get rid of Cuomo. She won't run on her own, she'll be asked.

Why don't the Dems try and develop some desperately needed young talent instead of going with someone with no political future?

The people by and large wanted her. Except in a few key areas nationally.

But I'm not sure what the people in PA or MI, have to do with NY. Especially as NY overwhelmingly wanted her.

Anyway, it would be interesting. If Cuomo is that disliked and information shows he's vulnerable, then why not try it. At least a primary run I guess then the people of NY will decide who they want to represent them in the statewide race.

Draft

If Hillary Clinton wants to continue working in politics it should be behind the scenes with a focus on nurturing the next generation of Democratic leaders. There is no more room for her type of leadership in the Democratic party. Her loss cost the progressive movement at least one Supreme Court Justice, 4 years of environmental progress, 4 years of social justice progress, and the likely dismantling of Obama's signature healthcare policy. Time for Hillary to take a step back from the spotlight.

Blader

Running for Governor of New York is a completely separate race, with a separate electorate, than running for President of the United States, you know.

Because contrary to what some may think, she actually give a damn.

I know that. I just can't comprehend the will it takes to not want to retire forever from public life after this last election.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom