• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Christianity |OT| The official thread of hope, faith and infinite love.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ST2K

Bingo legend, especially this point:

The local church provides a unique opportunity to gather and encourage believers across all age groups, backgrounds, ethnicities, etc. Outside of your family, when would we get these opportunities? Why are we depriving ourselves of that?

There's so much to gain from fellowship outside of your comfort zone.

I may differ a bit as it sounds like you might be drifting into another extreme ("There's no differences between age groups! Everything should be the same!"), but I think your rant is on point. Age segregation is definitely overdone in most churches, in my opinion.

legend166

Bingo legend, especially this point:

There's so much to gain from fellowship outside of your comfort zone.

I may differ a bit as it sounds like you might be drifting into another extreme ("There's no differences between age groups! Everything should be the same!"), but I think your rant is on point. Age segregation is definitely overdone in most churches, in my opinion.

It's not that I think there's no differences between age groups - it's just that when it comes to our primary worship services I don't think we should be making any distinction.

Chaplain

Ga5.1

Quote of the day:

"Sacrifice isn’t the price we pay to get ourselves right with God. Sacrifice is what He provided so that He could give Himself to us so that we could come to know Him. He’s the one who called us. He’s the one who paid the price. He’s the one who initiated salvation. He’s the one who’s done everything." (Ramsden)

A new blog post has been posted on Galatians 1 (Challenging a Different Gospel) verses 6-9. The danger of false gospels.

Samples from the study:

"The book of Galatians is written to people who’ve been set free from the law but who are now trying to live by the law. They’ve come into relationship with God through the sacrifice that God himself has made, but were now putting themselves back under the curse of the law only to become self-righteous." (Zacharias)

"Note the resourcefulness of the devil. Heretics do not advertise their errors. Murderers, adulterers, thieves disguise themselves. So the devil masquerades all these devices and activities. He puts on white to make himself look like an angel of light." (Martin Luther)

"They were called into the grace of Christ. They were taught salvation through faith. That it is not something you can earn, it is not something you deserve, it is not something you can purchase, it is something that you can only receive as a free gift of God on the basis, not of your works, not of your efforts, not of your merit but on the basis of your simple trust in Jesus Christ. The gospel of the grace of Christ." (Smith)

"There is something about the message of the true gospel that is deeply offensive to human nature. To understand this, we should first understand what the true gospel is. Paul stated his gospel most succinctly in 1 Corinthians 15:1-4. The message of the gospel is what Jesus did on the cross for us as revealed by the Scriptures and proven by the resurrection." (Guzik)

Other things discussed in greater detail...

Paul's amazement that the Galatians were turning away from Christ (their relationship with Him) to a relationship based on merit/works (rule keeping).
Three facts about this different gospel brought to the Galatians.
Why do false gospels always bring trouble with them?
Why are false gospels perversions/distortions of the true gospel of Jesus Christ?
Why are some people offended by the true gospel?
Three reasons why people pervert the true gospel.
Why is a person cursed if they spread a false gospel?
Was Paul hateful for asking God to curse people who share false gospels?
What is the best way to test if a belief is Biblical?

New sermons (right click/save as):

10/25/15 - Tribulation Saints (Revelation 7:9-17)
10/25/15 - Nehemiah 2
10/25/15 - Luke 17:22-18:14
10/25/15 - Genesis 25
10/25/15 - Living Properly in the Light of the Return (II Thessalonians 3:6-18)

Article: A man trying to make sense of miscarriage

As I have sat there at the cross I have seen Jesus, who entered into the pain of death, into loss, into futility and hurt. He has not stayed far off or simply told me to 'man up and get on with it'. He says 'never will I leave you nor forsake you'. This is not condemnation. Your suffering is producing something far greater in you than you can imagine. Suffering is not futile. It has purpose and he is going to walk with us through it.

Resources to help us answer tricky questions:

Audio: Unbelievable? Is God the best explanation for apparent design in nature? – Jonathan McLatchie & Cory Markum (10/24/15)

Jonathan McLatchie is a Christian currently studying cell biology at PhD level and an advocate of Intelligent Design (ID). Cory Markum is an atheist and a blogger at the Atheist Republic website. Cory critiques whether design and God are a good explanation in biology, while Jonathan defends ID.

Get the MP3 (right click/save as)

For Jonathan Mclatchie: http://crossexamined.org/author/jonathan-m/ and http://www.evolutionnews.org/2015/10/is_intelligent_3100281.html

For Cory Markum on Atheist Republic : http://www.atheistrepublic.com/blogs/cory-markum

Article: An Uncompromising Faith Lived Out with Grace

This is a time for people to see how different the Gospel is. A former chairman of our board in Europe is from Iran. I remember the first time I met him. On his desk was a picture. I picked it up and asked, “Who are these people?” “These are all ministers in Iran,” he replied. And at that point, half of the people in that picture had been martyred for their faith.

He told me a story about one minister in the picture, who was driving through northern Iran with his wife. They came to a small village where he decided to buy water. As he stops his car he notices a man leaning against the wall of the shop with a beard and a machine gun. The wife sees the man’s gun and face, takes a Bible in Farsi, and puts it in her husband’s pocket. She says, “Give that man a Bible.” Her husband looks at the beard, looks at the gun, and says, “No.” She says, ‘No, no, no. Seriously. Give it to him. Really. Please. Give it to him. Give him the Bible.”

So he says, “I’ll pray about it.” He goes into the shop, comes out with bottles of water, and they drive away. The wife looks at her husband. “You didn’t give him the Bible, did you?” He said, “No, I prayed about it. It wasn’t the right thing to do.” She said, “You should have given him one.” He disagrees and they go back and forth. So the wife bows her head and prays out loud fervently that her husband might listen to God. At that point, they have a friendly discussion that married couples have from time to time that ends with the words, “Fine! If you want me to die, I will.”

The husband turns the car around and goes back into the village. He gets out of the car, walks up to the man, and places a Bible in his hands. The man opens it and starts to cry. He said, “I don’t live here. I live three days’ walk from here. But three days ago an angel came and appeared to me and told me to walk to this village and wait until someone had given me the Book of Life. Thank you for giving me this book.”

We have an awesome Gospel and we worship an awesome God. The opportunities we’re going to have before us for evangelism over the next few months and years are going to be absolutely tremendous. People’s firmest foundations for hope and security have been taken away from them. C.S. Lewis said he welcomed these moments. When he wrote about the Second World War, he said the reason why the early church fathers would have embraced war was because it revealed that we can’t build an enduring kingdom on this earth though that’s what everyone is trying to do.

We have an incredible Gospel. We can’t afford to compromise. Uncompromising faith doesn’t mean that somehow we don’t care because we are told and commanded to care and to love as part of our not compromising. So let’s live it out with gusto. Let’s live it out with enthusiasm. And let’s see this world change for Christ.

Chaplain

Quote of the day:

"If we lived in a world without sin, our main goals in any debate and discussion with anyone would be to seek truth together, to arrive at the truth together, and therefore to achieve a deeper agreement between us. But that is not the world we live in after the fall, and such lofty aspirations will always run into a grittier reality. The truth is that many people have no interest in truth. They argue only to stake out their ground, to have the final say in any decision or simply to be the cock of the roost. Listen to any political debate, television discussion or academic seminar, and it is rarely hard to miss the clashing egos behind the dueling arguments. Self-interest and power, not truth, are the real objectives of much human debate, and they are able to flourish because of the fateful gap in our speech between its content and its form, or between truth and persuasiveness." (Guinness)

A new blog post has been posted on Galatians 1 (Challenging a Different Gospel) verses 10-24. The Divine source of the gospel Paul preached.

Samples from the study:

"There have always been preachers who have sought popular acclaim above all else, and there are some still. It is part of fallen human nature that even those charged with the responsibility of proclaiming the gospel can fall into the trap of trying to be popular rather than faithful." (Morris)

"Paul did not receive instruction from Ananias. Paul had already been called, enlightened, and taught by Christ in the road. His contact with Ananias was merely a testimonial to the fact that Paul had been called by Christ to preach the gospel." (Luther)

"`Even though I was a Jew's Jew,' Paul argued, `God had something else in mind for me, for from my mother's womb, I was called into the ministry of sharing the good news of the Gospel. Sidetracked for awhile, I got involved in religion, but God knew all along that I would be an apostle of the Gospel of Grace.'" (Courson)

"Paul's whole point in the second part of this chapter is important. His gospel was true, and his experience was valid, because it really came from God. It is fair for every Christian to ask if their gospel has come from God, or if they have made it up themselves. Each should examine if their Christian experience has come from God, or if they have made it up themselves. The questions are important because only what comes from God can really save us and make a lasting difference in our lives." (Guzik)

Paul's gospel did not come from a desire to please man like false gospels do.
Is Christian 'service' voluntary?
The Divine source of Paul's gospel: Jesus teaches Paul the gospel of grace.
Paul proves that his message did not come from man by sharing his personal testimony.
Why did God call (elect) Paul?
Why did Paul live in the desert for three years?
Why did Paul wait three years after becoming a Christian to meet with the apostles?

10/25/15 - Amos 7-9
10/25/15 - People God Uses (Amos 7:1-17)

Audio: The Voice of the Martyrs - Iran: Ready for Some Good News

The Islamic Revolution in Iran in 1979 promised great things for the Iranian people. The mullahs that took over the nation promised an Islamic paradise on earth. More than 35 years later, Iran’s people have lost hope in their government, and in the religion it upholds. Dr. Hormoz Shariat speaks daily to millions of Iranians through satellite television. He shares the hope of Jesus with a nation that has lost hope in their Islamic government, and he sees great waves of people who have rejected Islam now embracing Jesus, the Savior. This week on VOM Radio, Pastor Hormoz shares exciting things God is doing in Iran and challenges Christians in the United States to be as committed to our God as radical Muslims in the Middle East are committed to theirs.

Article: The Germaine Greer fiasco shows we no longer value free speech

George Orwell’s 1984 has finally arrived says David Robertson. The superb film Suffragette certainly makes you think. It also made me thankful for our democracy and our freedom of speech. In one hundred years you could argue that we have come a long way – especially in the emancipation of women. However there are disturbing signs that the democracy and free speech we so take for granted are under threat.

Germaine Greer, once the young fiery feminist author of The Female Eunuch, has found herself at the centre of a free speech storm in the University of Cardiff. Greer, now 76, has been faced with demands for her to be banned from speaking at the University because of her ‘problematic and hateful’ views.

Article: Tony Abbott invokes the Bible, then says you might need to ignore it

Former Prime Minister Tony Abbott addressed a group of British conservatives overnight, warning them that showing compassion to refugees is a “catastrophic error.”

Book Review: "Aborting Aristotle- Examining Fatal Fallacies in the Abortion Debate by Dave Sterrett"

Dave Sterrett is the founder of Disruptive Truth, a non-profit organization that is disrupting culture with the truth of the Gospel. When his book Aborting Aristotle arrived in the mail this reader was very grateful. It could not have come at a more appropriate time. Like many, I have been deeply troubled by the contents of the videos released by the Center for Medical Progress that reveal Planned Parenthood has not only been aborting babies, but selling their body parts. One evening, after viewing some of the videos, I found myself unable to sleep and lying on the floor in my daughter's room, trying to comprehend what I had just seen. I have always known that abortion is a brutal process, but these videos graphically demonstrate just how gruesome the business (and make no mistake, that is what it is) of abortion has become.

As I recall my own reaction to the videos I am further reminded of how emotionally charged the topic of abortion can be. This is one of the primary reasons this author believes Dave Sterrett’s book is an important contribution to the ongoing abortion debate. The author not only persuasively makes the pro-life case using logical arguments and sound philosophical principles, but he also takes a unique approach to the discussion.

He explains:

“This book seeks to examine...essential differences philosophically and will investigate the naturalistic worldview about humanity that is frequently held by much of the scholarly defenders of abortion. There are some metaphysical or meta-ethical ideas (including law of non-contradiction, substance, transcendence, and intrinsic personhood) that were taught by Aristotle and the scholastics influenced by him that are frequently denied by defenders of abortion. These philosophical convictions influence their ethical stances on the abortion debate.” [p. 1]

Sterrett’s goal is not to simply provide the reader with responses to common pro-abortion choice arguments, but to demonstrate that the very pre-suppositions abortion defenders bring to the table are false.

The author explains the layout of the book as follows:

“In the following chapters, I will frame the abortion debate with specific consideration to the key metaphysical topics that shape the ethical debate on abortion. First, I will provide a case for the reality of metaphysics and demonstrate that materialistic naturalism is not the best explanation of reality. Later, I will focus on particular metaphysical concepts including sanctity, substance and personhood that influence that ethical debate on abortion.” [p. 5]

In Chapter 1, Sterrett contends that both Aristotle and Thomas Jefferson were alike in some respects. Both were brilliant and influential in their time. Not everything they taught was true and some of what they taught was morally reprehensible (for example, Aristotle was in favor of infanticide), yet both had much to offer society, but because of some of their moral failings we have “thrown out the good that these men have provided us through their teachings.” [p. 7] The author argues for the remainder of the chapter that we would be wise to revisit the teachings of these great thinkers and siphon from their works that which is good. Namely, the metaphysics of Aristotle and Jefferson’s “notion of ‘law,’ his classical notion of ‘right to life,’ and his notion of an intelligent, transcendent ‘Creator.’” [p. 7]

The chapter ends by demonstrating that Christianity has historically been against abortion and that while “Christianity’s position on abortion is contrary to Aristotle’s defense of abortion, [it is] not contrary to Aristotle’s logic and metaphysics.” [p.12]

In Chapter 2, Sterrett explains:

“Metaphysics has been defined as the branch of philosophy that deals with the first principles of things…Metaphysics also applies to concepts such as being, knowing, substance, cause, identity, time, and space.” [p. 13-14]

It is the author’s contention that many ethicists “believe…one can bypass certain metaphysical or meta-ethical concepts regarding humanity and dive right into the ethical discussion.” [p. 14] However, Sterrett reasons that this is precisely where abortion choice advocates go wrong. He explains how “many contemporary orators of society are convinced that Aristotle’s philosophy of the law of non-contradiction, ontological existence, substance, and human rights are irrelevant or unknowable” and then goes on to make the astute observation that “the ethical beliefs of society’s influencers have molded many people’s beliefs about abortion and human dignity, whether society realizes it or not.” [p. 22]

In Chapter 3, the author contends that to deny the metaphysics of persons is self-refuting and he also defends Aristotle’s correspondence view of truth.

As I have been writing this review it has been this reviewer’s fear that some would scoff at the idea of “metaphysics” and argue that metaphysics is based solely in religion. This type of objection, argued by such abortion choice advocates as Paul Simmons, actually demonstrates the point the author is making. Quoting philosopher Francis Beckwith, Sterrett shows “All positions on abortion presuppose some metaphysical point of view, and for this reason, the abortion-choice position…is not entitled to a privileged philosophical standing in our legal framework.” [p. 27]

To deny the importance of metaphysics or “first things” in the abortion debate is to invite contradiction.

In Chapter 4, Sterrett deals with the work of David Boonin, author of A Defense of Abortion. According to the author, Boonin states that “…because some humans may lack precise knowledge concerning certain specifics about fertilization or when the child experiences pain, the metaphysical or ontological reality must not exist.” [p. 30]

Sterrett rightly points out that “The one who argues this seems to be confusing epistemology (the study of knowledge) with ontology (metaphysics or the nature of being).” [p. 30]

In Chapter 5, this reviewer was pleased to see Sterrett argue that naturalistic materialism is not the best explanation for reality. He writes:

“Many proponents of abortion choice who reject metaphysics hold a naturalistic philosophy generally about reality, and specifically about homo sapiens. I believe there are good reasons why naturalistic materialism, which is frequently assumed or believed by proponents of abortion, is not the best explanation for reality.” [p. 37]

This reader appreciated how the author conceded that “there are some overlaps and disagreements concerning definitions of the words naturalism, materialism, and physicalism” and as a result, he is careful to define exactly what he means by “naturalistic materialism.” Sterrett calls upon the works of Peter Singer, Michael Tooley, and Richard Dawkins to arrive at his definition “that there are not supernatural causes, moral transcendence and nonphysical mind, but that everything in reality, including human beings, are purely material and physical.” [p. 40]

Employing the works of philosophers William Lane Craig, J.P. Moreland, Quentin Smith and Thomas Nagel, the author concludes the chapter by showing that even scientists hold certain metaphysical assumptions that their unverified scientism cannot sustain.

In Chapter 6, the author moves from critiquing naturalistic materialism to offering a positive case for natural theology and goes even farther by challenging the idea that an argument should be dismissed because it has divine implications. Further, he explains that if God exists, “this has implications of dignity.” [p. 53]

This reader was delighted to see Sterrett call upon the works of some of the greatest theologians and thinkers of past and present to argue that God is the best explanation for a first efficient cause, God is the best explanation for a necessary entity and that God is the best explanation for objective moral truths. Regarding the latter, the author argues that if God does not exist “there not adequate ontological reasons to affirm the existence of objective moral truths.” [p. 70]

In Chapter 7, Sterrett argues that “Aristotle’s ancient concept of substance is still relevant and compatible with science. [p. 71] As he explains, “The substance view says that there is a unity between the personhood and nature of a human being.” [p. 76] This reader was also pleased to see the author deal with David Hume’s skepticism towards substance as he notes, “Hume’s empiricism seems to have influenced...many contemporary naturalistic ethicists.” [p. 79]

In Chapter 8, drawing upon his defense of substance theory, Sterrett defends the premise that “all human beings are persons.” [p. 82] The author notes that the majority of defenders of abortion believe strongly in a separation between human beings and personhood. Sterrett explains that it is important to understand some distinctions when debating the issue of personhood and that this separation is unmerited. The personhood of an individual is an ontological reality.

In Chapter 9, Sterrett challenges the view that a person is someone because of what they can do. On the contrary, he states that personhood is not linked to functioning, but rather that it is the underlying unity of the individual. He calls upon the expertise of Francis Beckwith once again to explain:

“What is crucial morally is the being of a person, not his or her function. A human person does not come into existence when human function arises, but rather, a human person is an entity who has the natural inherent capacity to give rise to human functions, whether or not those functions are ever attained…A human person who lacks the ability to think rationally (either because she is too young or she suffers from a disability) is still a human person because of her nature. Consequently, it makes sense to speak of a human being’s lack if and only if she is an actual person.” [p. 95]

Sterrett concludes that “Beings do not come into existence because of certain functions, rather they maintain a unity, even if functions are not working properly.” [p. 96]

In Chapter 10, Sterrett concludes the book by discussing the similarities and differences he has with ethicist Peter Singer and other abortion choice advocates. He writes:

“It may seem difficult for a philosopher of religion to share areas of agreement with someone like Peter Singer who supports human infanticide, bestiality, and incest. It does seem inconsistent that an ethicist teaching at the Center of Human Value openly respects some animals more than some human babies and the elderly. I certainly have disagreements with Peter Singer and other defenders of abortion choice. While there are fundamental differences, there are also some areas of ethics held by Singer and other abortion choice advocates that a non-atheist philosopher and even a Christian can also affirm.” [p. 101]

The author goes on to list the areas of agreement such as: 1. there can be a greater purpose in some suffering 2. humans are responsible for what they could have prevented 3. racism is wrong 4. and animals should be treated with respect.

This reader was glad to see Sterrett point out that “those in favor of abortion frequently emphasize hypotheticals, while defenders of life use Aristotelean logic with premises about real life.” [p. 107] The author explains that “Although there are some helpful aspects of shorthand with symbolic logic as well as clearness, sometimes the hypotheticals, though coherent, miss what is real.” [p. 108]
Further, as Sterrett rightly points out, “...these analogies frequently do not exist in real life.” [p. 108] The author uses Judith Jarvis Thomson’s well-known violin as an example and points out the many problems with it.

Conclusion

I have had the pleasure of reading and reviewing four other books by Dave Sterrett and have always enjoyed his work. However, it is this reader’s opinion that Aborting Aristotle is Sterrett’s best work to date. Not only is his writing logically airtight and his arguments philosophically sophisticated, but his approach to the abortion issue is utterly unique. Sterrett is not content to simply show why abortion choice advocates arguments fail, but he goes further and argues that the very assumptions they bring to the debate are in error. As he notes:

“We must be brought back to the Aristotelian scholastic philosophical tradition combined with the notion that human beings are contingent upon the existence of the Necessary Being, who is the Natural Law Giver and the Creator of human existence. These classical truths could help progressive ethicists who are blinded by an incoherent naturalistic worldview, become open-minded about the dignity and personhood of unborn human beings.” [p. 114]

Philosophy matters and in Aborting Aristotle Dave Sterrett shows that in some cases it is a matter of life and death.

Chaplain

Quote of the day:

A new blog post has been posted on Galatians 2 (Paul Defends the Gospel of Grace) verses 1-5. Paul presents to the leaders of the church in Jerusalem the gospel of grace revealed to him by Jesus #1.

Samples from the study:

"Paul went to Jerusalem on his second visit in response to a revelation. That is, he went because God directed him to, not because the Jerusalem leaders had summoned him or called him “on the carpet” for preaching to the Gentiles." (Walvoord)

"The believing Jews, however, could not get it through their heads that circumcision [works] was not necessary for salvation. They were encouraged in their wrong attitude by the false apostles. The result was that the people were up in arms against Paul and his doctrine." (Luther)

"Paul realized that if the message of the gospel was compromised, it wasn't just bondage for the Gentiles, but it was bondage for everyone who named the name of Jesus." (Guzik)

"So Paul was standing for you Gentiles. Paul was standing up for the gospel that has been proclaimed to you. That you don't have to become a Jew. That you don't have to keep the law of Moses. All you have to do is "believe in Jesus Christ, and you shall be saved" (Acts 16:31). Put your trust in Him and God will do His work in your life and transform you by the power of the Spirit and what you can't do for yourself, God will do for you. Salvation is God's gift through your faith in Jesus." (Smith)

Why did it take Paul 14 years to go to Jerusalem?
Interesting facts about Paul's companion Titus.
Why did Paul defend his ministry among the Gentiles to Peter, James, John, and the rest of the Church in Jerusalem?
Why did Paul not share the true gospel with all of the believers in Jerusalem?
Paul calls out the false belief that circumcision (works) was required for the salvation of the Gentiles.
Paul calls people who preach the gospel plus works false believers.
Why is the gospel plus works a false gospel?
Why did Paul not budge from the Judaizers' false gospel?
What can we learn from Paul's example of not willing to compromise Jesus' gospel?

10/25/15 - As Though By Our Own Power or Godliness (Ac 3:11-26)
10/28/15 - Proverbs 18
10/28/15 - Isaiah 54-55

Article: Student: Teacher taught 'God is not real'

Jordan Wooley said she answered the question "there is a God" in two ways. "I said it was fact or opinion," she said, adding she answered that way because "based on my religion and based on what I think and believe, I do not think it was a common place assertion."

Articles: Solutions to Bible "Errors"

How do we answer supposed Bible contradictions and difficulties? The list below contains every major Bible difficulty from Genesis to Revelation.

Articles: Proof Inerrancy is Historical/Biblical

There is overwhelming support for inerrancy from history. The idea that the Bible can contain errors is a relatively new belief. Author and scholar Harold Lindsell stated, “Apart from a few exceptions, the church through the ages has consistently believed that the entire Bible is the inerrant or infallible Word of God” (The Battle for the Bible, Zondervan, 1978, 42-43).

Article: How to answer critics

Many objections have been leveled against the doctrine of inerrancy; common objections to inerrancy are addressed here.

Chaplain

Quote of the day:

A new blog post has been posted on Galatians 2 (Paul Defends the Gospel of Grace) verses 6-10. Paul presents to the leaders of the church in Jerusalem the gospel of grace revealed to him by Jesus #2.

Samples from the study:

"Paul didn't wait for someone else to make him a great Christian. He knew that it came down to a personal relationship between himself and Jesus. This isn't to say that Paul received nothing from others or that no one else could ever bless him; but his Christian life was not built upon what other people did for him." (Guzik)

"In our text, we see the personification of these four flavors within the Body of Christ in Peter, Paul, James, and John. I can see a Peter kind of Church, a Paul type of Fellowship, a James group of Believers, a John-flavored Body. And I can embrace them all because I can see the Lord's wisdom in having different kinds of churches for different kinds of people. Paul would later write, `Work out your own salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God Who works in you both to will and to do of His good pleasure,' (Philippians 2:12-13). Both as individuals, and as a corporate church, our salvation is to be worked out, or expressed, in a little different flavor than that of other individuals or other churches." (Courson)

Paul summarizes his point: his gospel or apostolic credentials did not depend on any sort of approval or influence from men, even influential men.
Did Peter and Paul preach two different gospels?
The leaders of the church in Jerusalem approved Paul's gospel.
Is God for or against denominations?
Is the Pope the successor of Peter?
Why does God call us to remember the poor?

Article: Study proves atheism uses less brain function

A new study performed at the University of York used targeted magnetism to shut down part of the brain. The result: belief in God disappeared among more than 30 percent of participants.

That in itself may not seem so embarrassing, but consider that the specific part of the brain they frazzled was the posterior medial frontal cortex—the part associated with detecting and solving problems, i.e., reasoning and logic.

In other words, when you shut down the part of the brain most associated with logic and reasoning, greater levels of atheism result.

Video: George Osborn // Saved from Certain Death // The Profile

Author of 'Out of Darkness', George Osborn was deeply into the occult and using ouija boards as a teenager. The evangelist speaks to Justin Brierley about how he was saved from certain death during a demonic attack.

Article: What Powers Do Demons Have?

The Bible uses many terms to speak of demons: fallen angels, principalities, powers, evil spirits, and deceiving spirits just to name a few. Like Satan, demons are actually angels who were created by God to do His good work and praise Him. Scripture indicates that when Satan turned against God and tried to overthrow Heaven, some angels joined him. Those angels are what we now refer to as demons (Rev 12:7-9; Jude 6). Apparently some are locked up while some are left to roam the earth, awaiting the day of God’s judgment. Demons are not offered redemption through Christ’s death and resurrection. Their sure and final fate is hell, a place God created for their punishment (Mt 25:41).

Video: 42. True for you, not true for me?

Video: John Lennox on "Good for your health to believe in God"

I love most of the articles you post Game Analyst, but I feel, having read that one about the atheists using less brain function, that it is unnecessarily incendiary and distorts the content of the research.

Chaplain

I love most of the articles you post Game Analyst, but I feel, having read that one about the atheists using less brain function, that it is unnecessarily incendiary and distorts the content of the research.

I do see what you are saying and apologize in advance to any atheist reading this thread. The article was not meant to attack anyone's worldview. That wasn't my purpose in sharing the article. It was more on the findings of the study and the consequences it may have on our brains. Next time, I will find links to the actual study so that the evidence is presented without the commentary that this present article had.

I do see what you are saying and apologize in advance to any atheist reading this thread. The article was not meant to attack anyone's worldview. That wasn't my purpose in sharing the article. It was more on the findings of the study and the consequences it may have on our brains. Next time, I will find links to the actual study so that the evidence is presented without the commentary that this present article had.

Oh no, I'm not an atheist, but I just feel like the author (regardless of his intent) quickly put together the article in an attempt to make a point rather than possibly discussing the research in better depth. That's all.

Chaplain

I just feel like the author (regardless of his intent) quickly put together the article in an attempt to make a point rather than possibly discussing the research in better depth. That's all.

I agree. That is why I said what I did. Ty for letting me know. Hopefully no one took offense to the article. ^_^

Chaplain

Quote of the day:

"No man's standing is so secure that he may not fall. If Peter fell, I may fall. If he rose again, I may rise again. We have the same gifts that they had, the same Christ, the same baptism and the same Gospel, the same forgiveness of sins." (Luther)

A new blog post has been posted on Galatians 2 (Paul Defends the Gospel of Grace) verses 11-14a. The setting of Paul's confrontation over Peter's hypocrisy.

Samples from the study:

"Peter had known that God did not require Gentiles to come under the Law of Moses for salvation. He learned this from the vision God gave him in Acts 10:10-16. He learned this from the outpouring of the Holy Spirit upon the Gentiles who believed (apart from being circumcised) in Acts 10:44-48. He learned this by the agreement of the other leaders of the church in Acts 11:1-18. Now, Peter turned back on all that he had known about the place of Gentiles in the church, and he treated uncircumcised Gentiles as if they were not saved at all." (Guzik)

"Both hypocrisy and evil depend on lies. Hypocrisy is a lie in deeds rather than in words. And evil always uses lies to cover its oppressions. Only with truth can we stand up to deception and manipulation. For all who hate hypocrisy, care for justice and human dignity, and are prepared to fight evil, truth is the absolute requirement." (Guinness)

"By such actions Peter in effect was teaching that there were two bodies of Christ, Jewish and Gentile. And that was heresy. But why did Peter create this breach? Not because of any change in theology, but simply out of fear. Once, after preaching to Gentile Cornelius, Peter courageously defended himself before the Jerusalem leaders (cf. Acts 11:18); but this time he capitulated to some Jewish friends." (Walvoord)

"Peter did not say so, but his example said quite plainly that the observance of the Law must be added to faith in Christ, if men are to be saved. From Peter's example the Gentiles could not help but draw the conclusion that the Law was necessary unto salvation." (Luther)

In what way did the Peter's hypocrisy cause division in the church?
Paul rebukes the apostle Peter's hypocrisy.
What caused the apostle Peter to commit the sin of hypocrisy?
An example of how Peter's one sin influenced others to follow in his footsteps.
What was Peter's hypocrisy ultimately saying about the gospel?
Paul confronts Peter publicly.

10/24/15 - The Essence of Family Life (Deuteronomy 6:6-9) (Marriage Study)
10/27/15 - Genesis 29 (Men's study)
10/29/15 - The Descension & Ascension of Christ (Ephesians 4:8-10)

Audio: Unbelievable? 2 views on suffering – Warfare vs Blueprint – Kurt Jaros & Ken Brownell (10/31/2015)

Is suffering planned as part of God’s sovereign will? Or is God not to blame, as suffering is the result of an ongoing cosmic spiritual battle?

Ken Brownell is a Calvinist pastor and seminary teacher believes the ‘blueprint’ model – that both good and evil are ordained by God as part of his eternal purposes. He discusses the issue with theologian Kurt Jaros who defends a ‘warfare’ model, popularised by bible teachers such as Greg Boyd, that suffering is not ordained by God but is a result of an ongoing cosmic spiritual battle between free creatures.

Download MP3 (right click/save as)

For Ken Brownell: http://www.eltbaptistchurch.org/

For Kurt Jaros: http://apologetics.com/blog/category/blogs/kurt-jaros/

Article: Ugly Truth

An old preacher used to say that God cleanses sin, not excuses. Yet as I study the human condition, I find that excuses are our specialty. When someone is caught in some wrong doing, when we are exposed in a hypocrisy, when facts speak for themselves, we often find elaborate (and contrived) rationalizations or denials: “You don’t understand…” “It was more complicated…” “They brought it on themselves…” Or, as we find in the first book of the Bible, “The woman you put here with me—she gave me some fruit from the tree.”

Video: Why Abortion Is Unjust Discrimination

(The S.L.E.D. test originally comes from Stephen Schwarz in the first chapter of his book, "The Moral Question of Abortion.")

Chaplain

Quote of the day:

A new blog post has been posted on Galatians 2 (Paul Defends the Gospel of Grace) verses 14b-16. What Paul said when he publicly rebuked Peter over the issue of the acceptance of Gentile Christians #1.

Samples from the study:

"It is a legal concept; the person who is 'justified' is the one who gets the verdict in a court of law. Used in a religious sense it means the getting of a favorable verdict before God on judgment day." (Morris)

"Perhaps Peter and the others might say, "We're not making them live as Jews." But of course they were; because their message was, "Unless you live as Jews, you aren't saved." This did in fact compel Gentiles to live as Jews." (Guzik)

“Many people believe God to be a bit like [a University]. You take exams to get in, you study, then there’s the final judgment. Along the way, you get nice mentors.. The basic principle in our society is merit. People think it’s like that with God. But would you base your relationship with a human like that? In Christianity, salvation is not earned by works or merit. It is a free gift of God. Christians will not be assessed as fit for heaven based on their progress as a Christian. They will be saved based on the merits of Christ credited to them.” (Lennox)

"Let us say that you could keep the law of God. Written and traditional, oral. It would not save you. This is one of the problems of the Jewish people today. This is exactly what they are trusting in for their salvation, their own imperfect works of the law. Yom Kippur is no longer a day of sacrifice for sins. It is a day of reflection for the Jew as he reflects upon his good works seeking to be justified by his works before God. But Paul said, "By the works of the law shall no flesh be justified." Justification comes through faith in Jesus Christ." (Smith)

How did Paul expose Peter's hypocrisy in appearing to live under the law?
What does it mean to be justified by faith alone?
Paul reminds Peter that they are justified before God by the work of Jesus, not by their keeping of the law.
Why is it impossible to earn salvation (forgiveness of sins and entrance into heaven) through any human merit?
Does God bless us by our actions or because of our faith/trust in Him?

10/28/15 - Hebrews 1:4-14 - 2:1-4
11/1/15 - Luke 1:1-25
11/1/15 - Silence In Heaven (Revelation 8:1-6)

Audio: The Voice of the Martyrs - Iran: The Honor of Being Tortured

The house church pastor had been arrested and tortured. Now he wanted to talk to his leader. Dr. Hormoz Shariat expected the pastor to ask how a loving God could have allowed him to suffer. The pastor would ask, and how he would answer? Instead, the young man called being tortured for his faith in Christ an honor. It is bold witnesses for Christ like this that God is using to change the nation of Iran. Listen in this week to hear Pastor Hormoz share the stories of these faithful believers and explain how persecution in Iran is different from what Christians in other Muslim nations are facing. Encourage your faith and equip yourself to pray for the church in Iran with this week’s episode of VOM Radio.

Is the Bible Reliable?

Haven Today conducted the subject five part series a while back in which Dr. Peter Williams of Tyndale House Cambridge sat down to talk about why we can have confidence that the Bible is reliable. You can listen to the each of the following parts of the series at the links below:

Part One

Part Two

Part Three

Part Four

Part Five

Chaplain

Quote of the day:

Last words of Sophie Scholl, 22 year-old Christian martyr beheaded for peacefully resisting the Nazis.

CS5WeN0WcAAeTt9.png:large

Excerpts from The Black Eyed Peas, "Where Is The Love":

People killing people dying
Children hurtin and hear them crying
Can you practice what you preach
Would you turn the other cheek?
Father Father Father help us
Send some guidance from above
Cause people got me got me questioning
Where is the love? (The love)
I feel the weight of the world on my shoulder
As I'm getting older y'all people get colder
Most of us only care about money makin
Selfishness got us followin the wrong direction
Wrong information always shown by the media
Negative images is the main criteria
Infecting their young minds faster than bacteria
Kids wanna act like what the see in the cinema
Whatever happened to the values of humanity
Whatever happened to the fairness and equality
The truth is kept secret
Swept under the rug
If you never know truth
Then you never know love

A new blog post has been posted on Galatians 2 (Paul Defends the Gospel of Grace) verses 17-20: What Paul said when he publicly rebuked Peter over the issue of the acceptance of Gentile Christians #2.

Samples from the study:

"How is it a sin to build again a way to God through the Law of Moses? In many ways, but perhaps the greatest is that it looks at Jesus, hanging on the cross, taking the punishment we deserved, bearing the wrath of God for us, and says to Him, "That's all very nice, but it isn't enough. Your work on the cross won't be good enough before God until I'm circumcised and eat kosher." This is a great insult to the Son of God." (Guzik)

"To die to the law is to renounce it and to be freed from its dominion, so that we have no confidence in it and it does not hold us captive under the yoke of slavery." (Calvin)

"Blessed is the person who knows how to use this truth in times of distress. He can talk. He can say: 'Mr. Law, go ahead and accuse me as much as you like. I know I have committed many sins, and I continue to sin daily. But that does not bother me. You have got to shout louder, Mr. Law. I am deaf, you know. Talk as much as you like, I am dead to you. If you want to talk to me about my sins, go and talk to my flesh. Belabor that, but don't talk to my conscience. My conscience is a lady and a queen, and has nothing to do with the likes of you, because my conscience lives to Christ under another law, a new and better law, the law of grace.' " (Luther)

"It is through the empowering of the Holy Spirit that we are able to see this change. Once I understand that the cross was a personal provision for the sin of every man and every woman, I can identify with Christ in the fact that this is my Savior taking my guilt and my penalty. Then, when I confess my sin, receive Him and trust Him, the Bible says that He comes and dwells within me. We hear so little of this indwelling today, so little of “Christ in you, the hope of glory.” We have talked so much of accepting and receiving that we have forgotten the intimacy with which He comes and dwells within us. There is no other world religion or worldview that talks in those terms." (RZIM)

Paul answers the main objection against the truth that we are made right before God by faith in Jesus and not by works of the law or any merit.
Why is it a sin against God to earn his love through our own works?
Paul describes his permanently changed relationship to the law: all believers are dead to the law.
Why does Paul say, 'The Law is no longer a factor in my life. I tried to keep it for years, but finally it just did me in'?
When do Christians die to God's Law?
What exchange occurs between Jesus and Christians at the cross?
Are we called to live our Christian lives by rule keeping or through personal relationship with Jesus?
At what point in time did Jesus begin to love us?
Can God's law love people?

11/1/15 - What Would Jesus Do?
11/1/15 - Boldness or Silence (Ac 4:1-31)
11/1/15 - Introduction to Obadiah
11/1/15 - The Prophet Obadiah (Selected Scriptures)

Article: When life gives you oranges

Andrew and Rachel Wilson are raising two young children, both of whom have severe autism. They invite us into the surprising world of parenting children with special needs.

Article: IOCC Relief Eases Hardship For Syrian Refugees And Greek Hosts

International Orthodox Christian Charities (IOCC), and its partner, Apostoli, the humanitarian arm of the Church of Greece, are responding to the most urgent needs of vulnerable refugees with food assistance and helping ease some of the strain on Greece's refugee relief efforts. IOCC is providing up to 1,000 hot meals and water daily to refugees landing on the small Greek island of Chios, and up to 1,000 meals and water daily for refugees on the island of Samos. All food sourced by IOCC for the refugees is being prepared by local restaurants to help support the local economy on these small islands.

Article: Why the Appearance of Design in Biology Is a Problem for Atheistic Naturalism

As unlikely and unexpected as it may be, life exists in our universe, and just as researchers stipulate to the appearance of fine-tuning in the cosmos, scientists also stipulate to the appearance of design in biological organisms. Richard Dawkins would be the first to agree: “Biology is the study of complicated things that give the appearance of having been designed for a purpose.” Many other scientists affirm this observation and extend it to include the larger ecosystems in which many symbiotic organisms are dependent on one another for their survival. Smith College professor of biological sciences, Robert Dorit says, “The apparent fit between organisms seems to suggest some higher intelligence at work, some supervisory gardener bringing harmony and color to the garden.” For scientists looking for an explanation within the “garden” to avoid the inference of an external “supervisory gardener,” this appearance of design is difficult to explain.

Articles on Jesus by professor Mike Licona:

Author, historian and debater Mike Licona writes on Jesus and His identity in the following brief articles:

Jesus - Son of Man
Jesus - Son of God
Jesus - God

Mike Licona has a Ph.D. in New Testament Studies (University of Pretoria), which he completed with distinction. He serves as associate professor in theology at Houston Baptist University. Mike was interviewed by Lee Strobel in his book The Case for the Real Jesus and appeared in Strobel’s video The Case for Christ. He is the author of numerous books including The Resurrection of Jesus: A New Historiographical Approach (IVP Academic, 2010), Paul Meets Muhammad (Baker, 2006), co-author with Gary Habermas of the award-winning book The Case for the Resurrection of Jesus (Kregel, 2004) and co-editor with William Dembski of Evidence for God: 50 Arguments for Faith from the Bible, History, Philosophy, and Science (Baker, 2010). Mike is a member of the Evangelical Philosophical Society, the Institute for Biblical Research, and the Society of Biblical Literature. He has spoken on more than 50 university campuses, and has appeared on dozens of radio and television programs.

Chaplain

Quote of the day:

“Nothing could be more destructive to Christian koinonia than the common practice today of pretending not to have any problems. It is often true that Christian homes may be filled with bickering, squabbling, angry tantrums, even bodily attacks of one member of the family against another, and yet not one word of this is breathed to anyone else and the impression is carefully cultivated before other Christians that this is an ideal Christian family with no problems of any serious consequence to be worked out. To make matters even worse, this kind of conspiracy of silence is regarded as the Christian thing to do, and the hypocrisy it presents to others (not to mention how it appears to individual members of the family) is considered to be part of the family’s “witness” to the world.” (Ray Stedman)

A new blog post has been posted on Galatians 2 (Paul Defends the Gospel of Grace) verses 21: What Paul said when he publicly rebuked Peter over the issue of the acceptance of Gentile Christians #3

Samples from the study:

"The essence of grace is for God to give people what they have not worked for (cf. Rom. 4:4). To insist on justification or sanctification by works is to nullify the grace of God." (Walvoord)

"God loves me, that's what counts. God has forgiven my sins because of my faith in Jesus Christ. That's what counts. God accounts me righteous tonight because of my faith in Jesus Christ, not because of what I do or don't do but because of my faith in Jesus Christ, God has accounted me righteous. The righteousness whereby I stand before God is complete. I can't add anything to it. And my endeavor to add anything to it only takes away from it because it then has me looking back at myself instead of looking at Jesus. And each time I look at myself I get in trouble. When I keep my eyes on Jesus I do alright. Keep your eyes on Him. Enjoy the grace of God. And that righteous standing that God has given to you through faith." (Smith)

"If my salvation was so difficult to accomplish that it necessitated the death of Christ, then all my works, all the righteousness of the Law, are good for nothing. How can I buy for a penny what cost a million dollars?" (Luther)

"Conflict presents unique opportunities to serve other people. When others are weighed down with problems and stress, God will sometimes use us to encourage them and help carry their burdens. In other situations, we may be able to give helpful advice, provide a positive example, or suggest creative solutions to problems. Best of all, conflict can provide the opportunity to demonstrate the love of Christ and give witness to the gospel, even to people who are attacking us. One of the most challenging ways to serve others in the midst of conflict is to help them see where they have been wrong and need to change." (Sande, p. 143)

Can Christians reject God's grace?
Paul confronts Peter's departure from the principle of faith in Christ: It is impossible to earn salvation through any rules, works/merit, or regulations.
What does Jesus' death on the cross mean for anyone who attempts to earn salvation because of their own works?
Paul models for us how to use conflict to bring God glory by helping those trapped in sin (Peter, Barnabas, etc.) see the error of their beliefs.
Facts about dealing with conflict from a Biblical perspective.

11/04/15 - Hebrews 2
11/04/15 - In the Zone (Philippians 3:12-21)
11/04/15 - Proverbs 19
11/04/15 - Isaiah 56
11/04/15 - Genesis 26-28

Article: A Church of England report shows non-Christians don’t like evangelism. In fact, such proselytising actually puts them off religion

The problem for the Church of England, and to some extent for the Church of Sweden too, is that white middle class people are no longer expected to be Christian. So when they reveal that they are, it can be an occasion for embarrassment all round. The Oxbridge and public school Christians in Anna Strhan’s study did not have any difficulty proselytising if they were doing volunteer social work on council estates at the weekends. Then they were outside the constraints of their class. But in the hedge funds and City law firms where they worked, they could not talk about their faith. It was just too embarrassing, not something people do.

Article: Science and Faith: Exploring an Intellectual Frontier by Alister McGrath

A scientist has to commit to certain theories, knowing that at least some of them will be shown to be wrong in the future. That's why Michael Polanyi's Personal Knowledge (1958) is so important to reflective scientists. Polanyi (1891-1976) was a Hungarian chemist turned philosopher, who found himself to be increasingly troubled by his need to commit himself to what he believed (scientifically) to be true, while knowing that some of this would later be shown to be false. He argued for the need to speak of science as "personal knowledge" - not absolutely certain, yet still capable of eliciting justified belief.

Scientific knowledge thus involves our personal - and fallible - judgement that certain beliefs are reliable, and to be trusted. Polanyi insisted that we must understand that commitment to beliefs - scientific or otherwise - inevitably transcends the evidence underlying them.

Second, I began to realize that the historical evidence for the popular stereotype of the "warfare" of science and religion was really rather inadequate. The scholarly destruction of this stereotype, of course, lay in the future. The massive historical revisionism which forced such a radical rethinking of this "conflict" or "warfare" model really began to emerge in the 1990s. Yet hints of it were already there, back in the late 1960s. As leading scholars in the field - such as Australia's Peter Harrison - have shown, there is no fixed relationship of any kind between science and religion, and most certainly not that they are, or need be, in essential conflict. Their interaction is rich, interesting and complicated.

Sadly, the movement we know as the "New Atheism" largely ignores these two points, tending to dismiss them as trivial concerns raised by people who feel threatened by science. Happily, this movement is now receding into the past, allowing us to get back to a constructive and above all informed discussion about the relation of science and faith. Sure, it raised some good questions. But the answers it gave were hopelessly simplistic. They may have seemed plausible in a simpler past. But not now. We need to move on.

Mariolee

The Nightly Show: Science vs. Religion Panel ft. Hillsong Pastor, Comedian Tom Papa, and Neil DeGrasse Tyson

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/11/nei...genitalia-debunk-god-as-intelligent-designer/

The article itself is incredibly biased towards Tyson, whose points I've seen him bring up before and I am not too impressed with though I can't explain right now I may delve into later since I'm on mobile. Overall I thought the panel itself was civil and a good time. I think Tim Keller should've been on the panel though instead of the Hillsong Pastor, especially since it's already in New York but whatever. :p

Chaplain

Quote of the day:

“For the normative self-understanding of modernity, Christianity has functioned as more than just a precursor or catalyst. Universalistic egalitarianism, from which sprang the ideals of freedom and a collective life in solidarity, the autonomous conduct of life and emancipation, the individual morality of conscience, human rights and democracy, is the direct legacy of the Judaic ethic of justice and the Christian ethic of love. This legacy, substantially unchanged, has been the object of a continual critical reappropriation and reinterpretation. Up to this very day there is no alternative to it. And in light of the current challenges of a post-national constellation, we must draw sustenance now, as in the past, from this substance. Everything else is idle postmodern talk.” (Atheist German philosopher and sociologist Jürgen Habermas, "one of the most influential philosophers in the world," Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy)

A new blog post has been posted on Galatians 3 (The Christian, Law, and Living by Faith) verse 1: Paul warns the Galatians of their self-deception.

Samples from the study:

"The Apostle Paul was deeply concerned about what was happening in the series of towns and cities known as Galatia, for after he had shared the Good News of Jesus Christ with the folks in that region, men came in who began to complicate the Gospel. `Paul's message is cool,' they said, `but not complete. You see, in addition to believing on Jesus Christ, you need to show you are serious about Him by keeping rules and regulations.'' (Courson)

"The self-deceived person “persuades himself to believe contrary to the evidence in order to evade, somehow, the unpleasant truth to which he has already seen that the evidence points.” (Philosopher Herbert Fingarette)

"When we see Jesus clearly before us, we won't be deceived. "If anything contrary to this comes before him, he does not timidly say, 'Everybody has a right to his opinion'; but he says, 'Yes, they may have a right to their opinion, and so have I to mine; and my opinion is that any opinion which takes away from the glory of Christ's substitutionary sacrifice is a detestable opinion.' Get the real atonement of Christ thoroughly into your soul, and you will not be bewitched." (Spurgeon)

"Paul had vividly and graphically proclaimed the crucified Christ to the Galatians; yet their eyes had been diverted from the Cross to the Law. They were without excuse." (Walvoord)

Paul tells the Galatians that they were self-deceived for embracing a false gospel which declared the death of Christ was unnecessary.
Why does Paul tell the Galatians that they have been "cast under some evil spell by a malign influence"?
Paul confronts their blurred vision (something of their own choosing) of Jesus and His work for them.

Article: If you're a Christian battling infertility, you are not alone

As part of National (In)Fertility Awareness Week (2-8 Nov), Steph Cottam shares her story of struggling with infertility as a Christian.

Article: The Detective and the Theory

When the theories we hold as answers become the end and not the means to understanding, we eventually lose sight of the question. “If God exists,” we essentially ask, “why wouldn’t God be like the God I want to believe in?” or “why wouldn’t God be revealed in the way that I need God to be revealed?” We unreasonably hold the answers without realizing the questions we are even asking. “I maintained that God did not exist,” noted C.S. Lewis of his years as an atheist, “I was also very angry with God for not existing.” There are answers we cling to without admitting the question we have asked is faulty.

Article: Making History: Perception and Belief

If you are familiar with the writing of the new atheists, you will notice that they often portray history as if there is an ancient and on-going war raging between science and religion. Why is it that such simplistic ways of viewing the past can become so prevalent?One theory is advanced by Christian Smith in his book Moral Believing Animals. He argues that one of the central, fundamental motivations for human action is the locating of life within a larger external moral order, which in turn dictates a person’s sense of identity and the way in which they act. He claims that, whether or not they realize it, “all human persons, no matter how well educated, how scientific, how knowledgeable, are, at bottom, believers.”

Article: Why Is God Not Obvious?

Atheist Bertrand Russell famously quipped that if he were faced with God when he died, he would demand an explanation for why God made the evidence of his existence so insufficient. We might be tempted to think he was being entirely reasonable. But perhaps the evidence we demand for God is directly related to who we think God is and what we think God’s purposes are. Hiddenness would make no sense if God’s aim was simply to relate to us as an object of knowledge that offered no real relational connection or friendship. If this was the divine purpose—that we would simply acknowledge God’s existence—then I am sympathetic to Russell’s demand for more evidence.

Article: You Don’t Honestly Believe That!

There are two basic types of questions we could ask of the text: inductive and deductive. Inductive questions would ask whether the text of a Gospel makes sense of the world external to it, whereas deductive questions would make an internal examination. Inductive questions would include, Can the reader make connections between what is in the text and the real world all around us? Or is this Gospel purely a circle of reality one has to step into, suspending the real world whilst within it? Do historical and archaeological references fit with the data available to us from the period? Does the text make sense of the world as we know it? Does it diagnose and adequately speak to the human condition? Does the text have the “ring of truth”? All of these inductive questions will help a seeker to think about whether a particular Gospel is trustworthy or even possibly true.

Overall I thought the panel itself was civil and a good time. I think Tim Keller should've been on the panel though instead of the Hillsong Pastor, especially since it's already in New York but whatever. :p

John Lennox would have been my pick. Lennox would be able to match Tyson intellectually and easily point out any inconsistencies in Tyson's claims.

legend166

The Nightly Show: Science vs. Religion Panel ft. Hillsong Pastor, Comedian Tom Papa, and Neil DeGrasse Tyson

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/11/nei...genitalia-debunk-god-as-intelligent-designer/

The article itself is incredibly biased towards Tyson, whose points I've seen him bring up before and I am not too impressed with though I can't explain right now I may delve into later since I'm on mobile. Overall I thought the panel itself was civil and a good time. I think Tim Keller should've been on the panel though instead of the Hillsong Pastor, especially since it's already in New York but whatever. :p

Hillsong pastor?

lol.

Chaplain

Quote of the day:

““In the midst of the world, in the midst of our present dying culture, Jesus is giving a right to the world. Upon his authority he gives the world the right to judge whether you and I are born-again Christians on the basis of our observable love toward all Christians.” (Francis Schaeffer)

A new blog post has been posted on Galatians 3 (The Christian, Law, and Living by Faith) verse 2-5: Paul rebukes the belief that God's salvation and gifts can ever be earned by human achievement.

Samples from the study:

"The apostle Paul is contrasts the law and the spirit [in Galatians 5:16-18, 22-26]—those who try to live by the law and achieve their own self-righteousness even after they have become Christians. This is really shocking because the book of Galatians is written to people who’ve been set free from the law but who are now trying to live by the law. They’ve come into relationship with God through the sacrifice that God himself has made, but are now putting themselves back under the curse of the law only to become self-righteous. And Paul says, “Let us keep in step with the Spirit, and let us not become conceited, provoking and envying each other.” Isn’t that an interesting way to end that passage? We walk in step with the Spirit so we don’t provoke and envy each other. Isn’t that incredible? You know, it’s entirely possible to project the image that you’re leading such a good Christian life while goading people into some kind of Christian self-righteousness. Of course, we need to make a hard effort, but again, there are only two possible ways that we could be right with God. Either we believe it comes from ourselves because we are self-righteous, or we realize that it comes from God." (Ramsden)

"Those who are under bondage to the Law and live their lives by trying to earn blessings from God will make fun of you who live by faith and have confidence in grace. They'll mock you. They'll say you're immature. They'll say what you believe is baby-stuff, frivolous, and trite. Mark it well, saint: if you are an embracer of grace, people will call you shallow. `Our group is really heavy,' they'll say. `We understand what it means to carry the Cross and pay the price. We're the few, the chosen — the spiritual Marines.' There's an arrogance which permeates those who are trying to earn God's blessings. But when you celebrate what Jesus did on the Cross, you are free from exalting yourself." (Courson)

"Any work that God has done in my life comes to me by believing, faith in Jesus Christ and in the grace of God. Now, when you can really assimilate that truth, then you can start to expect God to bless you, though you know that you don't deserve the blessings, because I'm not coming on what I deserve. If I got what I deserved, man, I'd be frying by now. He has not rewarded us according to our iniquities, but "as high as the heaven is above the earth, so high is God's mercy towards them that fear Him" (Psalm 103:11). So I stand in the grace of God. I walk in the grace of God. Now, does that mean then that I can just go out, and you know, live any kind of an old lascivious life? No, no, no, no, no. The love of Christ constrains me to walk a life that is pleasing, and when I use that as the criteria for my activities, I find that I live a more strict life than when I try and use right and wrong as the basis for my particular activity. Is this right to do? Is this wrong to do? I so often hear that question. That should not be the consideration. The consideration should always be, "Is this pleasing to God if I do it?" (Smith)

Paul corrects the Galatians false doctrine with true doctrine: the Holy Spirit is God's gift that can never be earned and can only be received by faith.
Can spiritual growth or maturity be achieved through human effort?
What is the difference between the principle of law and the principle of grace?
Paul's question about the past: Was it all for nothing?
A question that each of us should ask ourselves: How did we receive the Holy Spirit?
Only two ways to have a relationship with God: 1) by my works (merit based performance) or 2) by faith (trust in God's love and grace for me).

Video: Movie Preview: God's Not Dead 2

Audio: The Voice of the Martyrs - Confessions of a Bible Smuggler

Imagine hefting a suitcase with 80 Bibles inside onto the X-ray machine in Iran. Patrick Klein has carried Bibles into hostile and restricted nations all over the world. He’s been warned many times to STOP. But he continues, answering the call of God to take the Word of God into some of the world’s hardest-to-reach places. He’s seen God close the eyes of customs agents and border guards. And he’s also seen God open the hearts of those most opposed to the Gospel. Listen as Patrick shares stories of the miraculous ways God intervened to allow him and his Vision Beyond Borders smuggling teams safe passage and used them to make a Kingdom impact all over the world.

Online book: The First Epistle of Clement to the Corinthians

"Do yourselves a favor and read 1 Clement. Clement of Rome was one of Peter's disciples. No, it's not the Bible; yes, you should read it :) " (Nabeel Qureshi)

Article: Canon Andrew White: 'Vicar of Baghdad' on leading a church in Iraq and being in the crosshairs of Isis

They were coming for him and his people. Friends were being killed or fleeing for their lives. So Andrew White did what he always does when faced with an enemy. “I invited the leaders of Isis [Islamic State] for dinner. I am a great believer in that. I have asked some of the worst people ever to eat with me.”

This extraordinarily self-confident priest is best known as the vicar of Baghdad, leader of a church in the chaos outside the protected Green Zone. He made his offer last year as the terrorist forces threatened to take the city. Did he get a reply?

Article: Nobel winners relied on inference of design for DNA repair discovery

The three scientists who won this year’s Nobel Prize for chemistry didn’t rely on intelligent design for their discovery of DNA repair mechanisms. But they made a design inference about genetic information, and that’s just as good, according to the Discovery Institute.

Audio: Unbelievable? Can we build a godless, flourishing society? Alex Gabriel & Rich Park (11/7/15)

Alex Gabriel is an atheist and Rich Park is a Christian. They enjoyed lengthy conversations in the pub while they were students at Oxford University.

In this edition of the show we swap the pub for the studio and address the question of whether it’s possible to build a flourishing society in the absence of a Christian or theistic framework. Who determines what flourishing means? And why should we aim for that anyway?

For Rich Park: http://www.apologetics.com

For Alex Gabriel: http://freethoughtblogs.com/godlessness/

Chaplain

Quote of the day:

"Faith in God constitutes the highest worship, the prime duty, the first obedience, and the foremost sacrifice. Without faith God forfeits His glory, wisdom, truth, and mercy in us. The first duty of man is to believe in God and to honor Him with his faith. Faith is truly the height of wisdom, the right kind of righteousness, the only real religion . . . Faith says to God: 'I believe what you say.' " (Luther)

A new blog post has been posted on Galatians 3 (The Christian, Law, and Living by Faith) verse 7-8: Paul uses the Father of Faith as an example of how God justifies by faith.

Samples from the study:

"Abraham was not justified merely because he believed that God would multiply his seed, but because he embraced the grace of God, trusting to the promised Mediator." (Calvin)

"Believed, of course, means more than that he accepted what God said as true (though, of course, he did that); it means that he trusted God." (Morris)

"It is remarkable that the Jews themselves maintained that Abraham was saved by faith. Mehilta, in Yalcut Simeoni, page 1, fol. 69, makes this assertion: 'It is evident that Abraham could not obtain an inheritance either in this world or in the world to come, but by faith.' " (Clarke)

"Ideas do have con-sequences, and the typological-allegorical idea has had severe consequences in the history of the church. Denying a literal fulfillment of God's promises to Israel has led to anti-Semitism. [Those] who replace literal Israel with a spiritual church nullify the literal land and throne promises, thus opening the door to Liberalism and cultism." (Dr. Norman Geisler)

How did God make Abraham righteous in Genesis 15:1-6? By works or by faith?
Where is the Gospel mentioned in the Old Testament?
What is the difference between believing in God and believing God?
Are Christians true sons and daughters of Abraham?
Do genetics play a role in being a son or daughter of Abraham?
Why is replacement theology unbiblical? "The idea that God is finished with the people of Israel as a nation or a distinct ethnic group Abraham."

Do you believe God can't use you for his glory?

222529_4397132840460_1585073382_n.jpg

Audio: Norman Geisler: The Relation of Logic and Christian Theology

Christian Apologist Dr. Norman Geisler presents a lecture on the necessary relation between logic and theology. Towards the end of the lecture, he speaks about why the Trinity and the Incarnation are not logically contradictory.

Norman L. Geisler (1932– ) has taught at the university and graduate level for over 50 years. He holds degrees from Wheaton College, William Tyndale College, and Loyola University, and is known for his scholarly contributions to the subjects of Christian apologetics, theology, and philosophy. After his studies, he became Wheaton's graduate assistant in the Bible-Philosophy department. He has since taught theology, apologetics, and philosophy at Detroit Bible College, Trinity Evangelical Divinity School, and Dallas Theological Seminary, and was dean of Liberty Center for Research and Scholarship in Lynchburg, VA. In 1992, Geisler co-founded Southern Evangelical Seminary in Charlotte, North Carolina. In 2007, he co-founded Veritas Evangelical Seminary in Murrieta, California, where he serves as chancellor and distinguished professor of Apologetics.

legend166

Especially since, you know, the reason Samson had long hair was because he was a Nazarite. The long hair was a sign of devotion to God!

Chaplain

Quote of the day:

"A striking feature of modern as well as postmodern thinking about humanity is that there is a gap between the inner self and the outer self, and between reality and appearance. Karl Marx spoke of "ideology; not just as a net of ideas but a set of ideas that served as weapons for social interests. Similarly, Nietzsche and Michel Foucault analyzed the "genealogy of morals" in terms of power, interests and agendas masquerading as virtues, Sigmund Freud described "rationalizing" as giving reasons other than the real reasons, and Albert Camus always talked of motives and "ulterior motives:' And for the discipline of the sociology of knowledge, the gap between the inner and the outer, and between appearance and reality, is precisely why it is a commonplace truth that "nothing is ever what it appears to be:' In short, what the Bible calls the "deceitful heart" and Plato called the "double game" are alive and strongly confirmed by modern thinking." (Os Guinness)

A new blog post has been posted on Galatians 3 (The Christian, Law, and Living by Faith) verse 8-10: The Gospel in the Old Testament & The Law of Moses' Curse.

Samples from the study:

"Abraham and his spiritual descendants, both Jews and Gentiles, have all been declared righteous by faith. Moreover, this conclusion is in harmony with the Scripture which states that all nations will be blessed through Abraham (cf. Gen. 12:3). Thus the justification of uncircumcised Gentiles was anticipated in the universal aspect of the Abrahamic Covenant when God announced the gospel (lit., “the good news”) … to Abraham." (Walvoord)

"They who are of faith are those whose characteristic is faith; it is not that they sometimes have an impulse to believe, but rather that believing is their constant attitude; faith is characteristic of them." (Morris)

"The hypocritical doers of the Law are those who seek to obtain a righteousness by a mechanical performance of good works while their hearts are far removed from God. They act like the foolish carpenter who starts with the roof when he builds a house." (Luther)

"James wrote that "for whoever keeps the entire law, yet fails in one point, is guilty of breaking it all" (James 2:10). Now, it doesn't make any difference which point you violated, if you violate any point of the law, you're guilty of the whole. If you want to be righteous before God by your works, then you've got to be perfect. And if you're not perfect, you better listen then to the gospel of grace through faith, because you need it. So this is for imperfect people. The rest of you can go home at that point." (Smith)

Why is the Bible "the heart and soul of God"?
How did God preach the gospel to Abraham?
Why does Paul say that the Old Testament Law of Moses brings a curse to anyone who attempts to be justified with God by their works/merit/performance?
What Old Testament evidence does Paul use to prove its impossible to be justified with God by works/merit/performance?
What does it mean to be cursed?

11/8/15 - 1 Corinthians 2:1-8;14
11/8/15 - Nehemiah 3:4 - 5:1-13
11/8/15 - The Powerful Name of Jesus (Ac 4:10-10)
11/8/15 - Boldness or Silence (Ac 4:1-31)
11/8/15 - Luke 1:26-38
11/8/15 - Genesis 29-30
11/8/15 - Luke 19:1-10
11/8/15 - The Pauper's Wealth (Galatians 1:13-15)
11/8/15 - Jesus Triumphs Over Death & Doubt (John 20)
11/8/15 - Seeing the Scripture (John 16)

Article: Reproducibility Crisis: The Plot Thickens (Not good news for Evolutionary Psych)

Taken together with the negative results of the eight replication studies that Shanks et al. conducted, the funnel plot suggests that romantic priming doesn’t exist, and that the many studies that did report the effect, were wrong. This doesn’t mean that the previous romantic priming researchers were consciously trying to deceive by publishing results that they knew were false. In my view, they were probably led astray by their own cognitive biases, helped along by the culture of ‘positive results or bust’ in science today. This system can produce replicated positive results out of nowhere. I don’t think this is a sustainable way of doing research. Reform is needed.

Video: Dartmouth Q/A

How do we talk about Christ in a winsome way and how should Christians handle controversial political topics…Those are just two of the questions that Ravi answers from students at a Q&A at Dartmouth University

Video: The Delusion of Atheism

Some noted atheists claim that people of faith are delusional. But Dr. John Lennox makes the case that atheists are the ones who are not being rational in their views.

Video: Does science make faith obsolete? Rice Professor, James Tour at The Veritas Forum at Tulane

Rice chemistry professor, James Tour, answers the question "Does science make faith obsolete? at The Veritas Forum at Tulane, 2015.

Audio: Andy Bannister: What Is The Gospel? Grace In A World Of Image And Performance (Luke 15:11-32)

entremet

Anyone know of any good free commentary sites?

I use the Blue Letter Bible, but I wanted to see if anyone knows any others.

I might get Accordance Bible software, but I want to see what's free first.

Chaplain

Quote of the day:

"Satan tempts us at the point of our physical needs, not that we might gratify them to excess, but that we might think of nothing else and gratify them at the expense of our usefulness in this world. Satan tempts us at the point of our ambitions, not that we might engage in positive evil, but simply accept the fact of evil, learn to live with it, come to terms with it, and maintain a discreet silence in the presence of it. Satan tempts us at the point of our religion, not that we might disbelieve in God, but that we might demand certainty — that kind of certainty of God that leaves nothing to faith, nothing to God Himself. These are the moral struggles that have reality for people such as we are. The subtle temptation to renounce our duty in favor of what is attractive. That insidious allurement to a kind of half goodness which is the essence of everything bad, and which is more productive of suffering and hatred, war and misery in this world than all the designs of wicked and greedy people combined." (Arthur Leonard Griffith)

A new blog post has been posted on Galatians 3 (The Christian, Law, and Living by Faith) verse 11-12: Salvation Is by Faith Alone According to the Old Testament.

Samples from the study:

"Martin Luther beat his body with whips, crawled for miles on his knees, fasted for weeks at a time in order to get close to God. But nothing worked. And then one day he read this verse — and he understood that the Christian experience is not `Do, do, do' — it's `DONE!' Jesus did it all." (Courson)

"It was the happiest day in Luther's life when he discovered that 'God's Righteousness' as used in Romans means God's verdict of righteousness upon the believer." (Lenski)

"When you read the law of Moses, there are 613 precepts there. If you go 500 years past Moses to King David and read Psalm 15, those 613 are reduced to eleven. If you go a bit further to Isaiah, he reduces the number to six. A little later the prophet Micah reduces them to three: to do justice, love mercy, and walk humbly with God. Later still, the prophet Habakkuk reduces them to just one: the just shall live by faith. And the New Testament writers repeat that one command three times over. The whole moral law is reduced to one statement: your faith in the living God. (And if you want to unpack it further, you can read James to see what faith really looks like.)" (Zacharias)

"Some might come back to Paul and say, "Look, I'll do the best I can under the law and let faith cover the rest. God will look at my performance, my effort, and my good intentions and credit to me as righteousness. The important thing is that I am really trying." Paul proved from the Old Testament itself that this simply isn't good enough. No; the paths of approval by the law and faith don't run together, because the law is not of faith." (Guzik)

The Old Testament tells us that a right standing before God comes by faith, not by the law.
What are the implications of God accepting us by faith alone?
Why did God tell Habakkuk that the just shall live by faith?
Why does the Holy Spirit quote Habakkuk 2:4 three times in the New Testament?
The Old Testament tells all humanity that approval by God through the law (performance/works/merit) must be earned by actually living in perfect obedience to the law: good intentions, effort, or trying do not count.

11/11/15 - What Must I Do? (Acts 16:25-30)
11/11/15 - Proverbs 20

Article: Hundreds of Christian Fighters Battle to Defend Biblical Syrian Town From ISIS

Hundreds of Christian fighters from across Syria have united to defend a biblical Syrian Christian town from being conquered by the Islamic State terrorist organization, the head of the Syriac Orthodox church has said.

Article: The Errors of the Militant Atheist

In his New Yorker article against the presence of religion in public life, Krauss writes: “It’s clear that many of the people protesting Planned Parenthood are opposed to abortion on religious grounds and are, to varying degrees, anti-science.” But as pro-lifers, both religious and secular (yes. they’re out there) point out relentlessly, going blue in the face, it is a scientific fact that human life begins at conception. Now, the belief that every human being has an intrinsic dignity that ought to be protected in law is not a scientific proposition, it is a metaphysical one, one that many militant atheists loudly insist can be sustained without belief in God. That debate can be resolved in a great many ways, but it actually exists. That Krauss, while singing the praises of an epistemic of doubt, blithely evinces absolutely none about the nature or value of human life — he only needs to know what “religious” people oppose to know what he’s for — merely shows that he’s ignorant and intellectually lazy. That he can write this in the pages of a magazine that is supposed to be a beacon of American intellectualism without rebuke, or even throat-clearing, from his ideological fellow-travelers shows that the illiteracy is widespread and cultural. Such confusions stem from the false dichotomies I’ve been trying to destroy. If someone opposes abortion and is a Christian, the implicit worldview of most of the staff and readership of The New Yorker goes: He must do so on “religious grounds” — that is to say, not “rational grounds” or “scientific grounds.” But this is just nonsense on stilts. It is on scientific grounds that pro-lifers believe that life begins at conception; that this life ought to be protected in law can be justified on the basis of reason, or faith, or both.

Audio: Professor Peter S Williams lecture on "Antony Flew, Science & God"

Lecture to sixth form philosophy students at Downe House School, 10th November 2015.

Antony Flew, Science & God - Handout

Antony Flew: ‘Science qua science cannot furnish an argument for God’s existence. But… the laws of nature, life with its teleological organization, and the existence of the universe – can only be explained in the light of an Intelligence that explains both its own existence and that of the world. Such a discovery of the Divine does not come through experiments and equations, but through an understanding of the structure they unveil and map.’

Cosmological Argument from the Finite Past

1) There was a first physical event
2) Every physical event has a cause outside of itself
2i) Anything contingent must have a cause outside of itself
2ii) Physical events are contingent
2iii) Therefore, every physical events must have a cause outside of itself
3) Therefore, the first physical event had a cause outside of itself
4) The cause of the first physical event can’t have been a physical cause
5) Therefore, the first physical event had a non-physical cause outside of itself

Fine Tuning Design Argument

1) The fine-tuning of the universe is due to either physical necessity, chance, or design.
2) It is not due to physical necessity or chance.
3) Therefore, it is due to design.

1) Things exhibiting ‘specified complexity’ are probably designed
2) The ‘fine tuning’ of the universe exhibits ‘specified complexity’
3) The ‘fine tuning’ of the universe was probably designed

Design Argument from Biological Information

1) Things exhibiting ‘specified complexity’ are probably designed
2) Life depends upon the ‘specified complexity’ of functional information encoded in genetic and epigenetic biological structures
3) Therefore, the best explanation of life includes an appeal to design

Chaplain

Quote of the day:

“Do you realize that the Christian faith is the only faith that talks about REDEMPTION? Not just forgiveness --- redemption. Redemption that comes from the grace of Christ. Other religions talk about the longing for it, the hope for it, but never, ever the PROVISION for it.” (Dr. Ravi Zacharias, “Jesus Among Other Gods”)

A new blog post has been posted on Galatians 3 (The Christian, Law, and Living by Faith) verse 13-14: Jesus redeems us from the curse of the law.

Samples from the study:

"Here we have a glorious insight into God's grace towards us in Christ. For "though He was rich, for your sake He became poor, so that by His poverty you might become rich" (2 Corinthians 8:9). I mean, that's quite a deal. Here He was so rich, yet for your sake He emptied Himself. He became poor, that through His poverty you might know the riches of God's love and grace. As the scriptures say, "For God made Him to be sin for us, who knew no sin" (2 Corinthians 5:21). I wonder what kind of a shock it must have been to Jesus who was so pure, so totally pure, to all of a sudden have dumped on Him the sins of the world. Every rotten, evil thing that has ever been committed by man. Every perverted thing ever committed by man dumped on Him. What a shock that must have been. But yet, "God made Him who knew no sin to be sin for us, that we might become the righteousness of God in Him" (2 Corinthians 5:21). So, He redeemed us from the curse of the law, because He became a curse for us through hanging there on the cross." (Smith)

"When man sinned, God said to Adam, `From this point on, you will labor for bread, live by the sweat of your brow, and work through thorns and thistles.' Then came Jesus, the Last Adam. In the Upper Room, His broken body became our bread. In the Garden of Gethsemane, His sweat mingled with blood. On Calvary, the thorns of the earth were embedded in His brow. `I've absorbed it all,' Jesus said, as He Who knew no sin became sin for us, as He Himself became the curse. This is what Paul is driving home. What Jesus did is so incredible, so wonderful, how could we think we could, through our efforts, add anything to His work on our behalf?" (Courson)

"In Old Testament times criminals were executed (normally by stoning) and then displayed on a stake or post to show God’s divine rejection. When Christ was crucified, it was evidence He had come under the curse of God. The manner of His death was a great obstacle to faith for Jews until they realized the curse He bore was for them (cf. Isa. 53)" (Walvoord).

Why did Jesus save humanity from the curse of the Old Testament law?
How did Jesus save humanity from the curse of the Old Testament law?
When did Jesus save humanity from the curse of the Old Testament law?
For what two purposes did Jesus willingly receive the curse of the Old Testament law?

Article: Evangelical Atheism and Its Discontents by atheist professor John Gray

"There are no reliable connections - whether in logic or history - between atheism, science and liberal values."

Article: Ambassadors of Reconciliation

Recently on a drive through a small, suburban town, I saw the following message on a church sign: “Afraid of burning? Apply Son-screen.” I’ve seen similar messages to this one; “How will you spend eternity: Smoking or Non-Smoking?” “Life is Hard. Afterlife is Harder!” “WARNING: Exposure to the Son may prevent burning!” While there may be a pithy cleverness to some of these church slogans, I am bothered by the use of fear as a primary motivator for entering into a relationship with God. Why would anyone “scare” people into relationship with God? Can a true relationship be formed on the basis of fear?

Video: The Pursuit of Happiness: a psychiatrist-theologian psychologist discuss well-being

Warren Kinghorne, Assistant Professor of Psychiatry and Pastoral and Moral Theology, Duke University Medical Center and Duke Divinity School discusses happiness and well-being with Todd Kashdan, Professor of Clinical Psychology, George Mason University, at The Veritas Forum at George Mason University, 2015.

Video: What Does The Quran Teach About Jesus? Jonathan McLatchie

Video: Is Religion Intellectually Dangerous? Featuring Dr. John Lennox at the University of Toronto

Chaplain

CTxGdWJXIAEV-Gs.jpg:large

Quote of the day:

France is shaken to its core this morning by the attacks in Paris

There is nothing rational, nothing explicable about such an event - experts are wheeled out by TV and Radio stations to offer some kind of understanding, but the truth is, there is none. A terrible violence has gripped the hearts of a small group of people, who have unleashed on total strangers the full force of their fury. Like domestic abuse on a national scale, this is neither politically nor emotionally reasoned. It is a primal violence as destructive on those who perpetrate it as on their victims.

How can we pray for the people of France today?

- We can pray that the God of all consolation - who loves France, and Syria and Iraq, with a love that can neither be counted nor measured - will by his spirit be present with all those caught up in these events. Pray for the bereaved, the wounded, the people of a city currently gripped by fear. The God you pray to is the one in whom ‘we live and move and have our being’, the one who is not far from any one of us. Pray that those gripped by trauma will know him near.

- We can pray for Francois Hollande and his team as they meet to manage a response. A State of Emergency has been declared across the nation - a huge statement of the level of their concern. Pray for wisdom, compassion and strength. There is not a leader on planet earth who does not, at such a time, reach for a strength beyond themselves. Pray that Hollande will find that his maker is there to bless and help him.

- Pray for the French Police, Army and Emergency services. The Paris services were deeply traumatised by the Charlie Hebdo shootings - still a recent wound - how much more will they be shaken by this new horror? They need our prayers. As a resident of France, I can tell you that the way French service personnel respond to a crisis such as this is extraordinary. People will be working extended hours, giving themselves beyond the call of duty to those in need. ‘Solidarité’ is a substantial value in French culture, and you can touch and taste it at such times.

- Pray for Peace. The adoption on Facebook of the new ‘peace for Paris’ symbol is beautiful. Paris remains the world’s best known and most loved tourist destination. It has also proved, in the past seventy years, that it is capable of pursuing peace and living in forgiveness. The speed with which Angela Merkel came to the side of Francois Hollande at the time of the last attack was extraordinary, and proof that peace can reign. If France and Germany can become friends after such a terrible emnity, then this new horror, too, can be swallowed by grace. Pray that it may be so.

Many years ago a book was published about the final years of the occupation of Paris in World War 2. It later became a popular film. It was called Is Paris Burning? Well today, Paris is burning: with grief, with rage, with a deep woundedness. Let’s come together as people, resident or not, who love this city, and pray for her peace and safety, and for the glory of her maker to rise like a new dawn after the darkest of nights.

A new blog post has been posted on Galatians 3 (The Christian, Law, and Living by Faith) verse 15-18: The unchanging nature of God's covenant with Abraham.

Samples from the study:

"Even if Paul’s opponents admitted that Abraham was justified by faith, those Judaizers might have argued that the Law, coming at a later time, entirely changed the basis for achieving salvation. To refute this, Paul declared that just as a properly executed Roman covenant (or will) cannot arbitrarily be set aside or changed (probably reference to ancient Gr. law), so the promises of God are immutable." (Walvoord)

"When God said, "In your seed all the nations of the earth shall be blessed," He wasn't saying that the world is going to be blessed through the Jewish nation. He was saying the world would be blessed through Jesus Christ. Thy seed, singular. It was a reference to Jesus Christ and the work of redemption that He would accomplish for man, through which the blessings of God might come upon all the nations of the world. And the Jews so often misinterpret that promise to Abraham thinking that they are to be the benefactors of the blessings to the world. Not so. It is through the seed, singular, Jesus Christ, that these blessings were to come to the Gentiles and to all the world." (Smith)

"God made a promise, a covenant, with Abraham that through his Seed — that Seed being Christ — everyone who wanted would be blessed. Four hundred thirty years later, Abraham, long-since dead, the Law was given. But the Law could not take away from the promise of blessing given to Abraham 430 years earlier. In other words, the Law does not have the power legally or logically to undo the blessing God gave to Abraham through Christ. And Paul is about to show us that, since we are in Christ, the blessing which comes to us is neither given because we keep the Law nor nullified by our failure to keep it. The Law is completely irrelevant as it relates to the blessing of God. What a fabulous truth!" (Courson)

"If the inheritance offered to Abraham was on the basis of law, it might not be permanent - because it would depend, at least in part, on Abraham's keeping of the law. But since the inheritance was offered on the basis of promise, God's promise, it stands sure." (Guzik)

Why is God's covenant with Abraham forever-unchanging?
Why do the promises of God (to bless mankind) only come through Jesus Christ?
Does God bless us on the basis of our works/merit/performance or because of something else?
How did Abraham inherit God's promise?

Article: Pope and Archbishop of Canterbury say prayers after more than 140 dead in Paris attacks

Prayers are being said all over the world for Paris following a series of attacks on the French capital on Friday evening.

Video: Q&A: Does Islam Really Teach Peace?

"My heart is burdened - I just heard about the attacks by Muslim Terrorists in Paris, over 150 dead. Let us pray for those hurting in Paris, let us pray healing for the injured and brokenhearted. Let us also pray that innocent Muslims will receive grace, and the violent ones will be stopped and changed. That all will be loved by Christians, regardless, and hopefully come to know Jesus. For those of you who want to know why I think Islam is an inherently violent religion while most Muslims are not violent people, watch the video." (Nabeel Qureshi)

Audio: Unbelievable? Has science explained away God? David Glass, Peter Atkins & James Croft

Some atheists say that, as scientific explanations for the natural world multiply, God has become unnecessary as an explanation. David Glass who is researching the objection says this is not the case. God can act as an explanation alongside scientific ones.

Interacting with David are two atheists: Oxford scientist Peter Atkins and humanist celebrant James Croft. They say that science has pushed God out of the equation.

For David Glass' research on "Explaining and Explaining Away" http://scm.ulster.ac.uk/explainingaway

For Peter Atkins: https://humanism.org.uk/about/our-people/patrons/peter-atkins/

For James Croft: http://ethicalstl.org/

Video: Faithful Guide To Philosophy 17: Problem of Evil - Peter S. Williams

Video: "How do we to think of suffering in light of the Resurrection? (Gary Habermas lecture 11/13/15)

Dear diary ChristianGAF,

Yesterday was the day my Christian band of almost ten years played it's last show. Feeling a bit empty now. It has never been easy for me to speak about my faith, but writing lyrics and playing Christian music has made it possible for me to reach out and share my thoughts and speak the gospel. It's gone now.

Also, I am feeling increasingly weary at work, which I might loose in a few months anyway due to lay-offs anyway.

I don't even know why I'm writing this, other than getting some off my chest. The truth is, I feel like I don't have a direction.

Can't you continue to write music by yourself? Or find a new band to play with?

That's what I'm trying to do. Well, the part about writing and finding some new people to make the actual music with. I can't really compose music myself, I was just the lyrics guy.

But yeah, I just have to wait and see if anything picks up.

It's a bit silly actually, this already made me feel a bit better. Thanks. :)

I stopped playing in bands 10-15 years ago, but I still continue to play musical instruments almost daily. It's incredibly relaxing and there is always something new to play.

Chaplain

Quote of the day:

“this world is not going to be trampled and smashed by brutal, amoral regimes for ever. A day will come when God will bring to an end the state war-machines, the terrorist bombs, the consummate evil of totalitarian oppression, the gas chambers, death camps, killing fields, and countless other infamous instruments of death. There will be a judgment.” ― John C. Lennox, Against the Flow

A new blog post has been posted on Galatians 3 (The Christian, Law, and Living by Faith) verse 19-21: The law was given because of man's transgression (i.e. the violation of a law, duty or moral principle).

Samples from the study:

"Part of the reason the law was given was to restrain the transgression of men through clearly revealing God's holy standard. God had to give us His standard so we would not destroy ourselves before the Messiah came." (Guzik)

"On Mount Sinai, the Law was given to angels; angels gave it to Moses; Moses brought it down to the people. In other words, the Law was not directly communicated. The Promise, on the other hand, was given without mediators or middlemen. It was given to Abraham directly and intimately." (Courson)

"People foolish but wise in their own conceits jump to the conclusion: If the Law does not justify, it is good for nothing. How about that? Because money does not justify, would you say that money is good for nothing? Because the eyes do not justify, would you have them taken out? Because the Law does not justify it does not follow that the Law is without value." (Luther)

What are the specific reasons for God giving the Law to mankind?
Why was the Law given until Jesus came into the world?
Why is the Law as a mediator inferior to salvation in Jesus by faith alone?
Can salvation be obtained through observance to the Law?
Does any conflict exist between the Law and Faith?

11/11/15 - Hebrews 3
11/12/15 - The Gifted Men Given to the Church (Ephesians 4:11)
11/15/15 - Matthew 28:16-20
11/15/15 - Nehemiah 5:14-19;6
11/15/15 - No Other Name (Ac 4:12-12)
11/15/15 - Faith or Circumstances (Galatians 14:1-18)
11/15/15 - The Kingdom Age for Israel (Obadiah 1:17-21)
11/15/15 - Obadiah 1

Audio: The Voice of the Martyrs - Bible Smuggling: “God Has a Strategy”

Before Patrick Klein leaves on a trip to deliver Bibles into hostile and restricted nations, he asks God to show him His plan for that trip. Sometimes God closes the eyes of customs officials and ushers the Bibles through without incident. Other times God has a different plan: Patrick is stopped and has opportunities to witness to officials trying to confiscate Bibles and hinder the gospel. After meeting with Christians who have faced imprisonment and beatings for God’s Word, Patrick has learned to see either outcome as a part of God’s plan. This week on VOM Radio you’ll hear more stories of Bible smuggling around the world, as well as how you might join a trip* to personally carry Bibles into hostile and restricted nations.

Article: The myth of the eternal war between science and religion (LA Times)

For the last several years, starting long before I was appointed auxiliary bishop in the Archdiocese of Los Angeles, I've been posting short commentaries on YouTube. I've covered movies, music, books, cultural trends and more. But I've given special attention to New Atheism, a social and political movement that began in the early years of this century that promotes the view that religion should be actively countered. Among other videos, I've published three answers to Christopher Hitchens' book “God Is Not Great,” a brief presentation of some classical arguments for God's existence, and a rejoinder to Bill Maher's movie “Religulous.”

Article: Man who planned terror attack on church behind Paris atrocities

An Islamic extremist who masterminded a thwarted terror attack on a French church was behind the mass killings in Paris, a French official said.

Article: "Christians need to rise up" in a time of tragedy says Parisian pastor

A church pastor in Paris has told Premier that Christians need to rise up with prayer and support in times of tragedy.

Article: French ex-atheist: only God can make sense of the evil in Paris

Theologian Guillaume Bignon used to be an atheistic Parisian. He explains how his Christian faith makes sense of the attacks

Audio: 11/15/15 - Ravi Zacharias - Though the fig tree does not bud (Habakkuk 3:16-19) (right click/save as)

Article: Can the Bible Have Errors but Still Be Infallible?

Some Neo-evangelicals claim the Bible is infallible but not inerrant (e.g., Roger Olsen, www.Patheos.com, Nov. 2015). In this they follow Jack Rogers, former Professor at Fuller Seminary whose book, The Authority and Interpretation of the Bible was decisively critiqued by Dr. John Woodbridge of Trinity Evangelical Divinity School in Biblical Authority: A Critique of the Roger/McKim Proposal. Rogers never responded. These critics deny verbal inspiration which the Scriptures claim for themselves (2 Tim. 3:16) and opt for a so-called “dynamic” view of inspired authors whose message they believe has never failed to transform its readers. Roger Olsen claims, for example, that while the biblical record has errors, nevertheless, it is “perfect with respect to purpose” which is never failing in its transforming power.

Chaplain

Quote of the day:

"Why do you actually need a moral law giver if you have a moral law? The answer is because the questioner and the issue he questions always involves the essential value of a person. You can never talk of morality in abstraction. Persons are implicit to the question and the object of the question. In a nutshell, positing a moral law without a moral law giver would be equivalent to raising the question of evil without a questioner. So you cannot have a moral law unless the moral law itself is intrinsically woven into personhood, which means it demands an intrinsically worthy person if the moral law itself is valued. And that person can only be God." (Zacharias)

A new blog post has been posted on Galatians 3 (The Christian, Law, and Living by Faith) verse 22-25: The purpose of the law helps us understand our freedom from the law.

Samples from the study:

"God gave us the law to show us how bad we were to drive us to Jesus Christ that we might simply believe and accept the promise by faith. The law came for that purpose. The law had one design, to lock us up, to put us in jail, to kill us. Men are chained prisoners. The law has the key, and every sin they commit tightens the chain until at last, they are crushed in judgment. This is what the law was given to do, to tighten the screws on the sins of men, that in anguish, they might cry out for a deliverer." (JM)

"While the Law could not justify or give life, it did prepare the way for the gospel. What part then did Law play in this respect? It declared the whole world … a prisoner of sin. Referring perhaps to Psalm 143:1–2 or Deuteronomy 27:26, Paul declared that the whole world is trapped and under the dominion of sin (cf. Rom. 3:9, 23). When people recognize this and give up attempts to please God by their own works, the way is prepared for them to receive the promise of salvation through faith in Jesus Christ." (Walvoord)

"The whole purpose of the law is to bring us to Jesus. Therefore, if someone doesn't present the Law in a manner that brings people to faith in Jesus, they aren't presenting the Law properly. The way Jesus presented the Law was to show people that they could not fulfill it, and needed to look outside of their law-keeping to find a righteousness greater than the Scribe and the Pharisees (Matthew 5:17-48)." (Guzik)

Why is does God's Word declare that all of humanity is imprisoned by sin?
Why is faith in Jesus the only way God sets us free from the imprisonment of sin?
An example of a fundamental made in modern-day evangelism.
How does the Law of Moses protect all of humanity?
How does the Law of Moses prepare humanity for Jesus?
What is the purpose of the Law of Moses?
Why are Christians no longer under the Law of Moses (God's moral and ethical standard)?

Article: How do you explain the horrors of Paris Attacks to children?

Siobhan O'Reily-Calthrop writes about the difficult conversations she's had with her 9 and 11 year old following the terrorist attacks in Paris

Article: Philosophy professor, Meghan Sullivan, on Paris, Beirut and The Leftovers

The HBO drama The Leftovers defies easy classification. The New York Times lauded it as "the best spiritual drama on television.'' But while the show undoubtedly has strong religious themes, it steadfastly avoids any discussion of actual theologies. And God (or gods of any sort, for that matter) have yet to make an appearance.

Some are tempted to classify the show as science fiction, since the premise of the show is following the individuals "left over'' after 140 million people suddenly disappear. But this isn't quite right either. Science fiction takes place in worlds that are in some respect radically different from our own. Events like the Paris and Beirut massacres last week remind us that the actual world is one where men, women and children indiscriminately disappear, sometimes in sudden and coordinated bursts of horror.

Article: Does Religion Poison Everything?

In October, I had the privilege of ministering alongside Ravi Zacharias and the team at Angola Prison in Louisiana. It’s an older prison and quite massive, having been founded on a former plantation. For decades, it was one of the most violent prisons in the United States. Most of the inmates are there for life, with no chance of parole. Many have been convicted of murder, manslaughter, and rape. And due to the tough sentencing, they have no hope of ever leaving those prison walls. hat lack of hopelessness contributed to the extreme violence there. In those terrible days, there was blood on the floors and walls every night. And then a man named Burl Cain came along. He’s short in stature but tall in vision. He had a vision to turn that prison around. And over time, he did just that. Today it’s one of the safest maximum security prisons in America.

Hopelessness and meaninglessness stalked those prison halls. To give the inmates hope and meaning, Cain implemented a work program and introduced a seminary under the supervision of New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary. There are interfaith chapels and numerous churches on the 18,000 acre property. Many inmate graduates from that seminary minister to fellow prisoners. In fact, some of those very same inmates are now missionaries to other prisons. And there are dozens of students still in the program, waiting to join the graduates in the ministry.

Article: The Inextinguishable Light

As valuable a commodity as it is and as indispensable as it is to meaningful existence, truth is possibly the most violated concept in our world. This is more so now than ever before in history. The lies that punctuate business transactions; the lies by which trusted relationships have been destroyed-these we are aware of. The greater tragedy is not just that we live with a proliferation of lies, but that this is probably the first time, certainly in western civilization than society at large does not believe in the existence of absolute truth.

This radical step toward moral and metaphysical skepticism, which asserts the very impossibility of knowing the laws by which our individual lives must be governed, is the single greatest indicator of our postmodern mind. What is most surprising is that a disbelief in truth is not restricted to the liberal element; instead truth as a category has been jettisoned even among conservatives.

Article: The Coming of Christmas

We are stressed at the approach of Christmas because of finances, because of family, because of the absence of family, because of over-indulgence, because we have too much to do, or because we have too little to do and feel the pointed edges of loneliness. For so many of us, the thought that Christmas is coming is indeed one that invokes fear, trembling, and attention, though perhaps for all the wrong reasons.

Chaplain

Quote of the day:

"The Bible is either the word of God, or it isn't. Either Jesus offers humanity the one, true path to salvation (John 14:6), or he does not. We agree that to be a true Christian is to believe that all other faiths are mistaken, and profoundly so. If Christianity is correct, and I persist in my unbelief, I should expect to suffer the torments of hell. Worse still, I have persuaded others, and many close to me, to reject the very idea of God." (Atheist Sam Harris, Letter to a Christian Nation)

A new blog post has been posted on Galatians 3 (The Christian, Law, and Living by Faith) verse 26-29: Our identity and equal standing in Jesus Christ.

Samples from the study:

"It should be stressed that this is the baptism that really saves us: our immersion into Jesus. If a person isn't baptized into Christ, he could be dunked a thousand times into water and it would make no eternal difference. If a person has been baptized into Christ, then he should follow through and do what Jesus told him to do: receive baptism as a demonstration of his commitment to Jesus (Matthew 28:19-20)." (Guzik)

"Christianity may be exclusive in its belief about Jesus being the only way, but it doesn't exclude anyone who desires to come. All are welcome regardless of gender, race, socioeconomic status, or geographic location." This illustrates the radical inclusivity of the gospel. Jesus offers the free gift of forgiveness to all who will accept it; he doesn't force anyone to receive his grace. As Paul makes clear in Acts 17:24-27, anyone who seeks after God will find him." (McDowell)

"When we say that Christ has abolished these distinctions, we mean not that they do not exist, but that they no longer create any barriers to fellowship." (Stott)

"Many of God's children lack a deep understanding of the Christian way, but that does not mean that they are not genuine Christians. Being a Christian is being a believer, not having an intellectual answer to all the problems we meet as we live out our Christian lives." (Morris)

"In Christ I am united to all the redeemed people of God, past, present, and future. In Christ I discover my identity. In Christ I find my feet. In Christ I come home." (Stott)

How did Jews become sons and daughters of God?
How did Paul view becoming a son or daughter of God?
What does it mean to be baptized into Christ?
Is there a difference between water baptism and being baptized into Christ?
What does it mean to put on or to cloth ourselves in Christ?
Our equal standing with others (regardless of race, religion, culture, gender, etc.) who come to God through faith in Christ.
Do all roads lead to God?
Does Christ abolishing distinctions (race, religion, culture, gender, etc.) mean that they do not exist anymore (in role and in function)?
Paul concludes that all Christians (regardless of their background) are one in Jesus.
Are all Christians spiritual descendants of Abraham?
Has the church replaced Israel?
What happens to our identity if we belong to Christ?

Article: The power of God can change the heart of a terrorist

Days after the Paris Attacks, David Cook says the biblical story of Saul reminds us that even fanatics can be converted.

Article: Is Paris Burning? by Ravi Zacharias

The layers that obscure the truth are burying humanity in large numbers. Yes, Paris was burning again and those flames and the dead bodies may well be a grim foreshadowing of what the future holds. I was in neighboring England the night the massacre scattered across Paris took place, as people going out to enjoy a dinner or concert or a football game were the targets of hate-filled and ruthless killers. The newspapers the next day had similar words: “Carnage”; “massacre”; “assassination”; “murder”; “blood”; “death”; “screams”; “terror,” and so on. Television programming was preempted and viewers were cautioned that some of the scenes of the slaughter were graphic. It was real. A few hours later, names and pictures of the dead were shown. It was like we had heard this before. But it was new and real: the victims’ lives cut short in the peak of their careers. Children who weren’t going to come home. People looking for their loved ones. Marriages suddenly broken by death. A young graduate with life ahead of her. And so on. One doesn’t have to know the individuals to feel helplessness and pain. This is twenty-first century murderous man. War in small increments can be deadlier than large scale war because it doesn’t just desensitize the killers; it desensitizes all of humanity.

Article: What do I mean by the “living Christ” and morality?

Christians debate about what extent their own experience of God – which could also be called the presence of God, mystical experiences, being filled with the Holy Spirit, the indwelling Christ – should play a role in the Christian life. Usually if they are concerned or sceptical, then they say it should just be the Bible. After all, we could be deceived as to what we’re feeling. And, presumably, most atheists would think that we are deceived.

Yet – a secular morality has to come from conscience and/or rational thinking. But how do you know whether your conscience, or reasoning, is correct? Both of those things can be entirely subjective. Even groups of people can come to very wrong moral decisions together through their own thinking and feeling. So the atheist has the same issues as a Christian does – how can we know what is right?

Audio: Tom Price: Do you want to do something remarkable today? (right click/save as)

Chaplain

Quote of the day:

“Truth is therefore essential for both countering the charge of hypocrisy and escaping the life of hypocrisy. God is the God of truth. Jesus is the way, the truth and the life. The Scriptures are the truth. The gospel is the word of truth. Conversion is a turnaround triggered by truth. Discipleship is the way of life that is living in truth. Confession is a realignment with the truth. Spiritual growth is life formation through the power of the Spirit of truth. And the Last Judgment is the final vindication and restoration of truth for humanity and for the very cosmos itself. The Christian faith is therefore nothing if not concerned for truth, and we Christians are nothing if not called to be people of truth. As Christians we stand or fall, prosper or decline, by truth. The apostle John sets out both the negative and the positive implications of this fact in an unmistakable way. In his letter he points to the negative and to the lie we create when we do not walk the talk: "If we say that we have fellowship with Him and yet walk in the darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth" (1 Jn 1:6). He captures the positive in his gospel, in the celebrated words of Jesus himself. "If you continue in My word, then you are truly disciples of Mine; and you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free" (Jn 8:31-32). Christians are hypocrites, people say, and all too often they are right. Like all human beings, Christians are hypocrites, and I who write this certainly am. ("If you could see into my heart, you would spit in my face.”) But Jesus represents history's most powerful assault on hypocrisy, and offers the world's strongest counter and remedy. Without truth there is no freedom, and without truth there is no freedom from hypocrisy. No one has ever seriously accused Jesus of hypocrisy, no one has ever been more severe on hypocrisy than Jesus, and no one has ever offered a sterner but more gracious and effective cure to hypocrisy than Jesus.” (Os Guinness, Guest Scholar at the Woodrow Wilson Center and a Visiting Fellow at the Brookings Institution)

A new blog post has been posted on Galatians 4 (Heirs and Slaves, Grace and Law) verse 1-5: No longer under bondage to the basic elements, we are God's children (part 1).

Samples from the study:

"The idea of the "ABC of the universe" is important. If there is any "ABC of the universe" (elementary principle) that we must break free from, and that is stressed in pagan religion just as much as Jewish law, it is the principle of cause and effect. One may call it karma or "you get what you deserve" or something else; yet it rules nature and the minds of men. We live under the idea that we get what we deserve; when we are good we deserve to receive good and when we are bad we deserve to receive bad." (Guzik)

"Divine intervention brought hope and freedom to mankind. As a human father chose the time for his child to become an adult son, so the heavenly Father chose the time for the coming of Christ to make provision for people’s transition from bondage under Law to spiritual sonship." (Walvoord)

"Daniel predicted that the "Anointed One" (the Messiah) would be cut off (die) after he worked to "put an end to sin, to atone for wickedness, to bring in everlasting righteousness, to seal up vision and prophecy" (verse 24). The time of this was to be 483 years after the command to rebuild Jerusalem (given in 445/444 B.C.). But these are Jewish lunar years of 360 days (12 months times 30 days a month). So, by multiplying the five extra days per year times 483, one gets more than six years on top of the 477 (444 B.C. plus A.D. 33), which equals 483 years. This is precisely A.D. 33, the year Jesus died in Jerusalem." (Geisler)

"Through Christ’s death upon the Cross for our wrong doing, we can find pardon and forgiveness for all our failures in time. Our consciences can be cleaned and our shame washed away, by putting our trust in Christ Jesus—trusting that he is Lord of the universe who died to bring us to God and was raised to life to give us life eternal. The Bible teaches that this is the most significant and important decision we can make in time. The author of time and the one who will bring time as we know it to an end calls us to come to him for new life. The apostle Paul puts it simply for us, “The wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord” (Romans 6:23)." (Boot)

An illustration and application comparing a child (under grace) and slave (under the Law).
Why does Paul say we mustn't base our relationship with God on the elements of the world?
How was the world perfectly prepared for Jesus' first arrival 2000 years ago?
Why did Jesus the God-man come into the world (space and time) 2000 years ago?
Are all human beings children of God?
Why must each person choose to be adopted into God's family?

11/17/15 - Genesis 31:1-21
11/18/15 - Genesis 46-47
11/18/15 - Hellish Hookups (Proverbs 5:1-23)
11/18/15 - Proverbs 21

Article: Bradford father 'living in fear after converting from Islam to Christianity'

Nissar Hussain, 49, claims he has been the victim of religious hate crimes since appearing in a TV documentary about mistreatment of Muslim converts

Video: Nabeel Qureshi - Response to Paris Attacks

My response to the Paris Attacks: we need love and truth. Love for Muslims, but the truth about Islam.

Audio: Dr. Alister E. McGrath lectures at George W. Truett Theological Seminary (November 17th & 18th, 2015)

(right click/save as)

Why Reason Isn't Enough: The "Big Picture" of Faith
Seeing Things In a New Way: Grace and the Transformation of Vision
Wonder and Meaning: Why Faith Engages the Imagination, Not Just Reason

Dr. McGrath is the Andreas Idreos Professor of Science and Religion and the Director of the Ian Ramsey Centre for Science and Religion at the University of Oxford.

Article: The Origin and Meaning of Time

“He has made everything beautiful in its time. Also he has put eternity in their hearts, except that no one can find out the work that God does from beginning to end.” Ecclesiastes 3:11 (NKJV)

Scientists and philosophers have perpetually puzzled over the origin and meaning of the created order, the space-time universe. Discussions are endless surrounding the origin of our majestic cosmos—the mind boggling microscopic world of bacteria, all the way to the wonder of animal life, and of course, human life. But perhaps the mystery of all mysteries is that of the nature and origin of time itself. Many scientists believe (as in fact, Scripture teaches) that the space-time universe came into being in the finite past at the moment of creation.

Chaplain

Video: The Veritas Forum - Christian and atheist professors discuss the place of religion in the conversation about race

Atheist professor, Wahneema Lubiano and Christian professor, Bill Tate discusses the place of religion in the conversation about race at The Veritas Forum at Duke University 2015. Watch the full talk here: veritas.org/talks.

Video: "HEAVEN" (HD) NEW FILM 2015 - by Billy Graham JESUS SAVES

EPS Apologetics Conference 11/20/2015: Nabeel Qureshi summary

Became a believer in 2005.

This is a very sensitive time. The attack in France last Friday. Mali was under attack today. 130 taken hostage, 27 killed. Mali has declared a state of emergency.

If you’re here because you understand that this world was created for a purpose and God has put you here for a purpose, ask Him to let you know that purpose. You’re not here by accident. Acts 17. You have a purpose. The gifts you have been given, the interests you have, are not an accident.

Background on me: my father came to US from Pakistan in the 70s. My dad landed the day Elvis died. My dad looks at the paper. It says, “The King is dead.” There were sects within Islam. Our sect was highly persecuted so my dad came here.

Dad served US Navy for 24 years. My father, being a Muslim, set an example of what it means to be a patriot.

My mom is a daughter of a Muslim missionary. My mom was born in Indonesia because her father was spending his life preaching Islam in the jungles. I come from a line of Muslim missionaries.

When I was 5 years old that I could recite the Koran in Arabic. I had the last 7 chapters memorized. By 15, I had the last 15 chapters of the Koran memorized. My mom taught me that I didn’t just need to be a good Muslim, I needed to be able to respond to Christianity. She had seen what Hollywood exported and assumed that this was what all Christians were like. The problem is that no Christian ever invited my mother into their home.

From childhood, I was taught that Jesus did not die on the cross, that the Bible was corrupt, that the Trinity was blasphemy.

My mom had taught me to pray daily, “All praise to the one who gives me life, causes me to die and raises me up again.” Muslims believe in the resurrection. I would walk into the washroom with my left foot first. Why? Because tradition says Mohammed did it with his left foot first.

Devout Muslim life is imbued in remembrance of Allah.

None of the people I went to school with ever told me about my faith. The universe told me that there was one God. I was ready to defend my true monotheism. There was one significant exception. Her name was Betsy. One day in class, she asked, “Nabeel, do you know Jesus?” I responded to her quoting from the Bible to her. I turned her evangelism on her and made it an invitation to join Islam. If I had wanted to mess with her, I would have asked her about the Trinity. “What is God? A shampoo bottle.” “The way that you are using faith is the same way that I use the word ignorance.”

The Christian concept of faith is pistes, and it means trust. Let me give you an example of this: I came in from UK the other day. Did I check the tires, the electrical systems, the pilots? I got on that plane having faith in Delta. Is that blind faith? No, because Delta has a track record. When you’re called to have faith in Christ is because he has a track record. When we believe in the resurrection, we can believe that because he raised himself from the dead.

I get to college and have a friend, David Wood. He was on the debate team with me. I saw him reading the Bible in his free time. I said, Jesus spoke in Aramaic, the early church was Hebrew, it was written in Greek. The Latin lasted the longest. It was translated to German before translated to English. It was translation of a translation of a translation of a translation…. He said, “Earlier, you were talking to your mom. Was that English?” “No.” “But when I asked what you were talking about you told me in English. Is what you told me an inaccurate translation?”

You can do hit-and-run evangelism and it might work, but this type of evangelism needs relationships. If you’re telling someone to pick up their cross, they need to know they can trust you. When David shared with me, I knew he cared about me.

On 9/11 when the World Trade Center was struck, I was in my anatomy lab. My Opa called me. He wanted me to come home. “People are going to blame Muslims. They are going to blame you.” Our family was frightened. If they saw us, they wouldn’t know we were patriotic Americans. We didn’t leave home for about a week. Our mosque in northern Virginia had all its windows broken.

We were told by our imam that those men had not only hijacked those planes, they had hijacked our faith.

The word “islam” meant submission. Muslim is the one who submits.

In the Koran, there were violent passages and peaceful passages. We were taught to compare it to the Old Testament.

Islam started out peaceful. After 13 years, Mohammed went to another city, Medina, and from then on he fought wars.

Islam goes from peacefulness into a crescendo of violence. Koran chapter 9, verse 5. verse 111. This was the final major chapter of the Koran that was being revealed.
Mohammed, “I will expel the Christians and Muslims from the Arabian Peninsula.”

It took a lot of soul searching and resisting these conclusions. In the end, there was no way around it.

The vast majority of Muslims in our country are peaceful Muslims. The vast majority of Muslims around the world are peaceful Muslims. We need to love Muslims like Jesus taught us to love others who do not believe.

Our job as Christians is to not spread fear, but to spread truth. We do not have a spirit of freedom.

What would make Islam true and what would make Christianity true? And can I test them?

The case for Christianity in Romans 10:9, 10. Jesus is Lord. Jesus died on the cross. Jesus rose again. Islam denies each of those things. “He was not killed or crucified as it was made to appear.”

All religions cannot simply be true. One religion says he did die on the cross. One religion says he did not. They cannot both be right.

“If you believe that Jesus is God, your abode is the hell fire.” Exactly opposite of one another.

Jesus prophesied his death and resurrection (Matthew 12). If we have good historical reason to believe that he died on the cross, that he rose from the dead, that he was the Son of God, then we have good reason to believe. If we can find that they are not true, we have good reason to be Islam.

Biola – Nabeel Quireshi — YouTube — 7 hours of lectures.

The fact that Jesus died via crucifixion is almost undeniable historically. The best conclusion is that Jesus rose from the dead. The earliest Christian faith says that Jesus is YHWH. We had excellent reasons to believe Christianity.

Why don’t you critically exam Islam with the same standards as you examine Christianity?
The first biography we have of Mohammed’s life was over 150 years after Mohammed. The earliest biography is according to the Islamic sources fallacious. It’s really easy to poke holes at others religions, but if you compare Christianity next to it, it comes out looking well.

There is no good reason to think the Koran was inspired. It was changed. We don’t have time to get into it.

My world began to shake. Muslims do not operate in innocence culture. We operated in honor/shame culture. You decided based on what others would think. If I became a Christian, think the shame that would be brought to my family. Do I believe this so strongly that I would throw my family under the bus?

Most Muslims believe in the power of dreams. My father received prophetic dreams. My mother had a dream where she was planting four seeds, two grew into trees, two did not. She had two kids, two miscarriages. God uses the Muslim expectation of dreams and visions to introduce himself to them. I asked for a dream or a vision. I got them. I had a vision and three dreams. They brought me to the point that I was really searching for God’s comfort.

I remember driving to school saying “God, I need time to mourn.” I opened my Bible and my Koran. The Muslims do not go to Koran for Koran study. I did not find a single verse designed to comfort you. I put away the Koran and said this does not apply to my life. I opened the Bible to Matthew 1, saw a bunch of geneologies, I skipped them. When I got to Matthew 5, “Blessed are those who mourn for they shall be comforted.” Those words were written just for me. “Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness for they shall be satisfied.” I was encountering in the pages of Scriptures a God who loves us.

I ultimately to Matthew 10, “He who confesses me before the people of this world, I will confess before my Father in heaven.” I said, “God, what about my parents?” “He who loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me.” I said, “It’s not just my family, it’s my whole family.” The next words, “He who loses his life for my sake will find it.”
When my mom found out I had become a Christian, it was like the light in her life was turned off. She’s been like that for 10 years. My dad said, “Nabeel, today is like my backbone has ripped out inside of me.” Then he took my mother to the hospital because she thought she was having a heart attack. I wanted God to kill me. I said, “Why didn’t you kill me?” I heard this response, “Because this is not about you.” I was stuck. I was rooted to ground. For 10 minutes I did not move. When I stood up, it was like the world was entirely different. Everything looked different.

From a Muslim background, its inconceivable that God would die for anyone. Christmas was much more humiliating than Easter. Why did he not come as a noble man? One of his friends betray him with a kiss? He dies on a cross, the most humiliating and painful way to die. They put you up naked for everyone to point at and laugh. We put a loin cloth on Jesus because we can’t handle it.

He did this to demonstrate his love for us. The cross, the worse thing in all of history, he turned into the best thing in all of history. If God can redeem the cross, how much more can he do for us. We are followers of Jesus what does this mean for us? We need to be willing to live and die, even for our enemies. Don’t worry about your food, give it away. I feed the birds, I’ll feed you too.

What about these refugees? I’m not a statesmen. I’m not a politician. We must be willing to spread his word, even at the cost of our own lives.

His word gives us truth, gives us values, gives us meaning. It’s the answers to life’s great mysteries. When they come, show them the love of Christ.

Audio: Unbelievable? Is ISIS Islamic? Jeremiah J Johnston, Craig Evans, Inayat Bunglawala & Adnan Rashid (Saturday 21st November 2015 - 02:30 pm)

For 'Jesus and the Jihadis: confronting the rage of ISIS' http://jesusandthejihadis.com

For Jeremiah J Johnston: http://christianthinkers.com

For Craig A Evans: http://craigaevans.com/

For Adnan Rashid: http://hittininstitute.org/publications/

For Inayat Bunglawala: https://inayatscorner.wordpress.com

Chaplain

Quote of the day:

"The greatest pleasure in the world is to have intimacy with God and to learn how to worship Him in spirit and in truth." (Zacharias)

CUcjf_KWUAI5xhU.jpg:large

A new blog post has been posted on Galatians 4 (Heirs and Slaves, Grace and Law) verse 6-11: To live as God's child or to live as a slave to human effort.

Samples from the study:

"Let the Law, sin, and the devil cry out against us until their outcry fills heaven and earth. The Spirit of God outcries them all. Our feeble groans, 'Abba, Father,' will be heard of God sooner than the combined racket of hell, sin, and the Law." (Luther)

"Thus, God's purpose was not only to secure our sonship by His Son, but to assure us of it by His Spirit. He sent His Son that we might have the status of sonship, and He sent His Spirit that we might have an experience of it." (Stott)

"Paul made an important point when he wrote or rather are known by God; it is really more important that God knows us (in the sense of an intimate, accepting relationship) than it is that we know God. Remember the terrible words of judgment in Matthew 7:21-23: I never knew you." (Guzik)

"One of the tragedies of legalism is that it gives the appearance of spiritual maturity when, in reality, it leads the believer back into a 'second childhood' of Christian experience." (Wiersbe)

"When certain days are represented as holy in themselves, when one day is distinguished from another on religious grounds, when holy days are reckoned a part of divine worship, the days are improperly observed." (Calvin)

"`What are you doing?' asked Paul. `You're burning incense. You're sprinkling holy water, lighting candles, fingering beads, and repeating prayers over and over again. You've gone right back into pagan ritualism, but you've been set free from all that stuff.' There's something within us which gravitates towards the Law and rituals, legalism, paganism, and all the stuff from which Jesus Christ came to set us free. `Well, I just feel more holy if I can hear the chants or the swishing of robes,' you say. That's OK — but you don't need those things. There's a better way: Be totally free in your love relationship with God. Just enjoy the Lord!" (Courson)

Celebrating our sonship: Why are we allowed to call God "Daddy"?
Celebrating our sonship: Why are we exhorted to cry out to our Dad in heaven?
Celebrating our sonship: How do we know that we are the sons and daughters of God?
Another text where Paul discusses the trinity.
Why is the Holy Spirit called the Spirit of God, the Spirit of Christ, or linked to God the Father?
Celebrating our sonship: Jesus saved us from slavery to sin, allowed us to be adopted into God's family, and inherit God as our Father.
A decision that all Christians must make: A choice between living under the elements of the world (works, rituals, legalism, paganism, etc.) or as a free son of God.
Why does Paul call Christians who turn back to the elements of the world (works, rituals, legalism, paganism, etc.) weak believers?
Paul warns Christians who turn back to the elements of the world (works, rituals, legalism, paganism, etc.) that they are choosing slavery instead of freedom in Christ.
Paul declares that Christians who turn back to the elements of the world (works, rituals, legalism, paganism, etc.) will only bring vanity into their lives.

11/22/15 - Luke 1:39-45
11/22/15 - The Four Trumpets (Revelation 8:7-13)

Urgent prayer request from friends of 24-7 living in Syria.

CUgT0uqWoAERFG-.jpg:large

With war in Syria continuing to disrupt and strike fear into the lives of millions, we received an email over the weekend with an urgent prayer request from some of our close friends in the 24-7 movement, living in Lebanon. The email read:

Article: Richard Dawkins says UK cinemas should screen the Lord's Prayer

Vociferous critic of religion says anyone thin-skinned enough to be offended by church advert deserves to be offended.

Video of the prayer spot that was rejected.

Audio: Alister McGrath Highfield Lecture - Why Faith Makes Sense (11/22/15) (right click/save as)

Audio: Dr. Andy Bannister – The Atheist Who Didn’t Exist (right click/save as)

One of the clearest distinguishing characteristics of the so-called new atheism, is its moral certitude. Richard Dawkins, the late Christopher Hitchens, Daniel Dennett ,and Samuel Harris, have declared that atheism has finally and convincingly won the war against Christian theism.

So sure are they of this decisive victory that they have made loud proclamation of the fact and proudly published their summaries of the conflict. Dawkins’s The God Delusion, Hitchens’s God Is Not Great, Harris’s The End of Faith, and Dennett’s Breaking the Spell all trumpet their perceived triumph.

Dr. Andy Bannister in his new book, The Atheist Who Didn’t Exist provides a humorous yet serious response to some of the more popular skeptical arguments circulating in the culture. Aimed primarily at skeptics, doubters, and atheists, The Atheist Who Didn’t Exist encourages readers to avoid bad arguments and wrestle seriously with some of life’s deepest questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom