• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Christianity |OT| The official thread of hope, faith and infinite love.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaplain

Everything you do is appreciated GameAnalyst. Don't stop.

Ty brother. Your encouragement is definitely appreciated and needed on my end. ^_^

Game Analyst, thank you. My wife actually just bought the Tortured for Christ book not long ago based on stories we'd heard from the Voice of the Martyrs podcast. We haven't had a chance to read it yet but the excerpt from the top of this page makes me want to go home and read it asap. Please continue sharing these things, it's a wonderful light for everyone.

Ty bro. My wife and I listen to the podcast on our way to church on Thursday nights. For us, they have been so encouraging. Hearing about our brothers and sisters suffering for Jesus' sake and not forsaking him (despite the circumstances) has been used by our Lord to help us in the areas that we sometimes compromise in, or are complacent in.

It blesses me that God uses posts on GAF to help people grow in their walk with Him. ^_^

Chaplain

Quote of the day:

"Just as Abraham was called to walk before the Lord, so are we called to follow the way of Jesus. Not just to believe the truth or to know and defend the truth, but to so live in truth that truth may be part of our innermost beings, that in some imperfect way we become people of truth. So let there be no uncertainty from this congress, as followers of Christ and as evangelicals. If we do not stand for truth, this congress might as well stop here. Shame on those western Christians who casually neglect or scornfully deny what our Lord declared, what the Scriptures defend, and what many brothers and sisters would rather die than deny: that Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life." (Guinness)

Today's blog is on Acts 22 (Paul’s Jerusalem Sermon) verses 19-23. Paul’s Jerusalem Sermon #4: Paul argues with Jesus, Jews despise the idea that God loves Gentiles, and why truth matters so much.

Samples from the study:

"Here is Paul arguing with the Lord. Always a mistake, because, as I said this morning, anytime you find yourself arguing with the Lord, just know you are wrong. The Lord's always right. And yet, there are times I find myself arguing with the Lord. I'm trying to persuade the Lord to see it my way. "Lord, can't you see? This is a natural, Lord." But whenever you argue with the Lord, you're wrong. So Paul found himself in that totally inconsistent position of arguing with the Lord, because if He's the Lord, really, there's no argument. You just do what He says if He is truly the Lord." (Smith)

"Gentiles were unclean and Jews had no dealings with them. Jesus was often criticized for ministering to Gentiles or to Samaritans—half-breeds—who were also despised by the Jews... I marvel at the irony of God calling Peter, and later Paul (who was Saul of Tarsus a “Hebrew of Hebrews”) to be “apostles to the Gentiles.” God was calling them to reach out with the good news that God was saving those deemed unlikable, unworthy, and far outside the promises and plan of God." (Manning)

"Both hypocrisy and evil depend on lies. Hypocrisy is a lie in deeds rather than in words. And evil always uses lies to cover its oppressions. Only with truth can we stand up to deception and manipulation. For all who hate hypocrisy, care for justice and human dignity, and are prepared to fight evil, truth is the absolute requirement." (RZIM)

Other things discussed in greater detail...

What can we learn from Paul's argument with Jesus?
Jesus replies to Paul’s argument.
Why was the Jewish mob upset that God loved both Jews and Gentiles equally?
Why is the defense of God's truth so important today?

Audio: The Voice of the Martyrs - Central Asia: Seeds Being Planted

“Brother Jay” has just returned from Central Asia, where he shared fellowship with Christians facing persecution while trying to reach Muslims with the gospel message. Jay will share the challenges these believers face—including the challenge of connecting with other believers and even just meeting together for worship. Jay tells us how the example of these believers challenges his own faith, and how he prepares to travel into dangerous places where Christians are laying down their lives for Christ. You’ll be able to pray more effectively for believers in Afghanistan, Tajikistan, Pakistan, Uzbekistan and other nations in Central Asia after hearing Brother Jay this week on VOM Radio.

Audio: The Voice of the Martyrs - IDOP: People Want Their Story Told

Meeting with persecuted Christians and telling their stories has literally changed Ramsey Tripp’s life. Ramsey is a filmmaker and pastor who helped create several VOM videos released in conjunction with each year’s International Day of Prayer for the Persecuted Church (IDOP). This week Ramsey shares the stories behind some of those films, and how telling the stories of the faith and faithfulness of persecuted believers through film has impacted his own faith and walk with Christ. After you listen to our conversation with Ramsey watch the story of Alex in Colombia (a) and order a free DVD to share this year’s film, Suta, with your church family on IDOP Sunday, (b) November 1.

Resources to help us answer tricky questions:

Article: The New Gospel

Some of the earliest Christian writings that have survived from antiquity were written around 170 by a bishop in Asia Minor. Melito of Sardis was a prominent figure of second-century Christianity known for his prolific defense of Christ against the claims of Christian heresies and opposing worldviews. He was a man of brilliant mind and deep conviction, one who seems to have truly felt the horror of humanity’s rejection of God. Tertullian speaks of Melito as a man of eloquent genius. Eusebius makes note of many of his writings, quoting three of these works at length.

Article: How Can I Believe in God and Pain?

There are so many ways in which questions concerning pain can be raised. It can be raised because of personal loss and suffering or because of a personal interest in the issue of theodicy, to name but two. However, regardless of the way the question is raised, it normally comes down to a moral complaint against God. “How could you allow this to happen?” The complaint is against God’s moral character. “Can I really trust God if I see this happen?” But if you are sure that you can trust God, regardless of the pain you find yourself in, there is no temptation to turn you away, as you realize God is the only one who can help.

Audio/video: Richard Dawkins debates Old Testament morality - Unbelievable?

Richard Dawkins has described the God of the Old Testament as (among other things) a "capriciously malevolent bully". The world's best known atheist joins Justin Brierley to discuss the morality of the Old Testament in light of the Bible TV series airing in the UK on Channel 5.

Rabbi Josh Levy and Christian lecturer Chris Sinkinson discuss with Dawkins whether the events of the Old Testament are historical and how to interpret the so-called "terror" passages. What about the story of Sodom and Gomorrah, or of Abraham nearly sacrificing Isaac?

Get MP3(right click/save as)

On YouTube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5_0Fx_RICI

Chaplain

Quote of the day:

"Paul’s words “I press on to make it my own, because Christ Jesus has made me his own” (3:12) gave me a framework for growing in my faith. The idea linked together my own responsibility to try to do my best, however limited, and God graciously supplementing my weaknesses and inadequacies. It was because Christ had taken hold of me that I was enabled and encouraged to take hold of him and let him lead me onward and upward through life. Previously, I had tended to see my faith as something I needed to sustain; now I realized it could sustain me. I began to think of my faith as being grasped and held by Christ, and adjusted every aspect of my life accordingly—my mind, heart, imagination, and hands. I made a connection—perhaps a naive one, but one that spoke deeply to me—with the powerful image of Christ knocking on the door of the church at Laodicea, asking to be welcomed (Rev. 3:20). When I became a Christian, I had invited Christ into my mind, but that was where it had stopped. I realized that I had to allow every “room” of my life to be filled with the life-giving and life-changing presence of Christ." (Alister McGrath)

Today's blog is on Acts 22 (Paul’s Jerusalem Sermon) verses 24-30. Paul is arrested and loses his freedom for the rest of his life on earth.

Samples from the study:

"In the first century, a number of different ways for gaining citizenship were opened up, including the payment of large bribes to appropriate officials (equal to as much as a year’s wages), the emancipation of slaves, and the granting of citizenship to entire cities. Other means included people performing honorable or meritorious service for the empire. Whereas the centurion had purchased his citizenship, Paul had inherited his. One of Paul’s ancestors may have performed such service, including having served in the army or having provided supplies for the army, such as making tents. (ASB)

“How the citizenship was acquired by Paul’s father or grandfather we have no means of knowing, but analogy would suggest that it was for valuable services rendered to a Roman general or administrator in the southeastern area of Asia Minor.” (Bruce)

"The Sanhedrin was the Jewish congress or parliament. Paul would be given the opportunity to speak before the group that he was once a member of. Acts 26:10 clearly says that Paul had a vote - usually, that would be used as a member of the Sanhedrin. Paul would logically think this was the opportunity of a lifetime, to preach to those he loved so much and knew so well. God had revealed a plan to Paul right at his conversion. Paul was a chosen vessel of Mine to bear My name before Gentiles, kings, and the children of Israel. For I will show him how many things he must suffer for My name’s sake (Acts 9:15-16). Paul knew the general plan; but just like us, he didn’t know how it would all work out. He had to trust God, just like every believer." (Guzik)

"The very truth to which we bear witness comes at a great cost-it can cost us our reputation, popularity, and prestige. It may even cost us our families, friends, or our lives. But the message of our witness is so powerful that we are exhorted to "lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares us" (Heb 12:1), in order to run with endurance the "race" that God has set before us in our life. The message of Christ's "witnesses" is also not confined to physical borders or limitations. It transcends any label or box we may deem appropriate. Martyrdom is not depressing, but necessary for movement into a prayerful understanding of global Christian reality...necessary in order to receive that which has been "granted on behalf of Christ"-"to suffer for His sake" (Phi 1:29). The faith of these witnesses, or martyrs, cannot be controlled or killed. It can only plant seeds to further God's kingdom beyond "Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth" (Acts 1:8), as their testimonies bear witness to the truth of Jesus Christ. Christ said, "On this rock I will build My church, and the gates of Hades shall not prevail against it" (Mat 16:18)." (Tortured for Christ)

The Roman commander demands an explanation of the riot from Paul and to be beaten with the dreaded Roman flagellum.
Paul finally reveals his Roman citizenship.
The commander questions Paul about his Roman citizenship.
The Roman commander arranges a hearing of the charges against Paul before the Jewish council (the Sanhedrin).

New sermons (right click/save as):

9/22/15 - James 5:7-12
9/23/15 - Proverbs 15
9/23/15 - Isaiah 44-46
9/23/15 - Absalom commits suicide attempting to take out his father David (2 Samuel 17:1-29)

Article: Why Christian?

“Why Christian?” was a question put before Professor Douglas John Hall by one of the many students who end up in his office asking more about the theology he teaches. He notes the possibility that the question was asked rhetorically, maybe even a bit sarcastically, like those near Jesus who threw questions more like daggers than candid inquiries. But it is also possible the student just wanted to hear an honest explanation: In a world of so many spiritual options, in a world of reasons to reject religion altogether, Why Christianity? Regardless of tone or motive, the seasoned professor of theology decided to answer the question, laying aside the responses that could be given easily after so many years of teaching. “I confess, I [am answering] as much for myself as for you,” he writes to the student who asked the question. “You made me realize that after all these years I needed to face that question in the quite basic and personal way you put it to me.”

Article: Eliminating the Impossible: Can a Scientist believe the Resurrection?

The Christian gospel is based squarely on a miracle. It was the miracle of the resurrection of Christ that started it going, and that same miracle is its central message. Indeed, the basic qualification of a Christian apostle was to be an eyewitness of the resurrection, and for centuries Christians have greeted each other at Easter time with the confident words, "Christ is risen! He is risen indeed!"

Article: Understanding Seeking Faith

Many readers will rightly note that this—my early thoughts, I remind you—fails to do justice to the full nature of the church. But that’s not the point. As I grew in faith, I read works such as Dietrich Bonhoeffer’s Life Together, which helped me develop a richer and fuller vision of Christian community. But reading Philippians triggered a series of thoughts that helped me solve a serious problem I was facing. However imperfect and inadequate those thoughts of May 1973 may have been, they set me on the road to ordination in the Church of England, so that I might minister within the kind of community I had once considered irrelevant. Although my primary responsibility is teaching at the University of Oxford, I take great pleasure in ministering to village congregations in the Cotswolds, near my home.

Article: An Introduction to Christian Apologetics

Paul Coulter examines different ways that people 'do' apologetics, identifying different approaches and where they may be of most help in our own conversations.

Video: God and Suffering

Isn't human suffering proof that a just, all-powerful God must not exist? On the contrary, says Boston College Professor of Philosophy Peter Kreeft. How can "suffering" exist without an objective standard against which to judge it? Absent a standard, there is no justice. If there is no justice, there is no injustice. And if there is no injustice, there is no suffering. On the other hand, if justice exists, God exists. In five minutes, learn more.

Chaplain

Quote of the day:

"I feel as certain of the existence of God as I am about my own existence. God is a logically required being; I am not! However, my confidence is not based on a scientific experiment in a laboratory or on a brilliantly reasoned argument from a philosopher. My convictions are the result of the above combination of factors. Reason (inductive and deductive), faith, experience, revelation, history, conscience, and intuition all play a part. As human beings we are more than pure reason. Mind is more than merely intellect. Life is more than an equation. For example: I am in love with my wife. I know this to be true. I am as certain of this as I am of the fact that I was born in London and grew up in the West Country. I can’t prove that to you. I cannot give you an equation for love. I would be a wealthy man if I could. I cannot conclusively demonstrate this love with a scientific experiment, but it is no less true. Blaise Pascal hit the nail on the head when he said, “The heart has its reasons of which reason knows nothing.” In the same way, while conclusive philosophic “proof” may be forever out of reach, being convinced of God’s existence is not." (Zacharias)

Today's blog is on Acts 23 (Paul in Protective Custody, From Jerusalem to Caesarea) verses 1-2. Paul’s defense before the Sanhedrin (Israel's corrupt leaders) #1.

Samples from the study:

"As Paul is writing to the Philippian church and sharing with them the natural advantages that he had before he accepted Jesus Christ as far as having a righteous standing before God by works, he said, "Those things which were gain to me," talking about the fact that he was a Hebrew of the Hebrews, a Pharisee, and he said, "and concerning the keeping of the law, I was blameless." Quite a remarkable man. To be able to say I have had always a good conscience before God up until this point." (Smith)

"We are all moral beings who have a conscience. This is a fact, even for the atheist, and any pretense to the contrary is dishonest. Our conscience places us under a moral obligation that we obey or disobey as each circumstance presents itself. We feel that we shall ultimately be accountable for all that we say and do, which is why we feel guilt when we violate our conscience, yet are often pleased or happy when we obey it. All this implies a moral governor who gives us a moral law; this governor is God!" (RZIM)

"A multi -millionaire by today's standards, Ananias was one of the worst High Priests in the history of Israel. In a deal he had worked out with the priests, animals brought to the Temple for sacrifice would conveniently be found flawed upon inspection. `Can't use this one,' the priest would say. `This sheep is blemished. But this is your lucky day. We just happen to have some sheep over here you could purchase.' `Really?' the relieved supplicant would say. `How much?' `Well, they're a little spendy — but they're worth it,' the priest would answer. `They've already been pre-approved.' Through such deals, Ananias gouged the people, pocketing huge amounts of money. So rotten was he, that after serving twelve years as High Priest, he was assassinated by his own countrymen." (Courson)

Paul begins his speech before the council.
Why did Paul claim that his conscience was innocent before God?
Why is human conscience called the voice of God in the soul?
Ananias breaks Jewish law by ordering Paul to be punched in the mouth.

Audio: The Voice of the Martyrs - Iran: Volunteering

How do you prepare to face persecution? Ali—who ministers inside Iran—tells us how he and his wife talk through what might happen, and how they will persevere through it by God’s grace. He also shares how God is moving inside Iran, including the surprising Bible story God used to reach the heart of a prostitute. Then we’ll learn more about volunteering to serve at VOM and hear how two people decided they’d come to Bartlesville and serve the Lord by serving our persecuted family.

Article: Disagreeing Agreeably About Soteriological Issues

Soteriology is a technical word in Christian theology describing how men and women gain salvation in Jesus Christ. Christians agree that Jesus is the Savior, but disagree amongst themselves as to how exactly that salvation happens. It’s important to remind ourselves that there is far more agreement than there is disagreement among Christians on the matter of salvation. Broadly, Christians among different denominations and traditions agree.

• Christians agree that Jesus is the Savior.
• Christians agree that salvation is by grace.
• Christians agree that faith is essential to salvation.
• Christians agree that human response is part of the big picture of salvation.

Article: How A Pastor And His Assailants Became Brothers in Christ

The night before, these two men—members of a 30-person gang with a history of theft and abuse—passed Philip on the street and attacked him. A team of police officers witnessed the scene and immediately apprehended the two teenagers. Because the Chennai police had long-since been searching for Aadi and Laksh, they dragged them to the police station, threw them in jail and tortured them throughout the night. The next day, the police invited Philip, who serves as a local pastor, to register a complaint against these men. But when Philip entered their holding cell, he refused to complain, protest or admonish them. Instead, he opened his Bible—a provision from American Bible Society’s financial partners—and began reading the Gospel.

Video: The Revenge of Conscience: What Happens When We Tell Ourselves Lies? Professor J. Budziszewski at Washington State University

We like to believe that moral truth is very difficult to find, but that we are honestly searching for it -- trying to see on a foggy night -- doing the best that we can. If this is true, then when we do wrong, it was only a mistake, and we didn't know any better. But what if sometimes we do know better, and merely tell ourselves we don't?

Professor Budziszewski specializes in political philosophy, ethical philosophy, and the interaction of religion with philosophy, including philosophy of law. Among his research interests are classical natural law, virtue ethics, conscience and moral self deception, the institution of the family in relation to political and social order, religion in public life, and the problem of toleration.

Article: Worship on Empty

Years ago, I read a definition of worship that to this day rings with clear and magnificent terms. The definition comes from the famed archbishop William Temple: “Worship is the submission of all of our nature to God. It is the quickening of the conscience by his holiness; the nourishment of mind with his truth; the purifying of imagination by his beauty; the opening of the heart to his love; the surrender of will to his purpose—all this gathered up in adoration, the most selfless emotion of which our nature is capable.” The more I have thought of that definition, the more I am convinced that if worship is practiced with integrity in the community of God’s people, potentially, worship may be the most powerful evangel for this culture of ours.

Article: Beyond Reasonable Doubt

“More consequences for thought and action follow from the affirmation or denial of God than from answering any other question.” Mortimer Adler, coeditor, Encyclopedia Britannica

Article: Nurturing Faith

Susanna Wesley was a woman her husband called the best of mothers. Hopeful that her children would come to know and love the Christ she loved, Susanna reserved a specific day and time each week to sit and discuss matters of God and things on their hearts. The time spent together was cherished by all, such that many continued the discussions with their mother well into adulthood through letter-writing. Once asking his mother for a definition of sin, John Wesley received a response fit for the theology books he was writing. “Take this rule,” she wrote to John. “Whatever weakens your reason, impairs the tenderness of your conscience, obscures your sense of God, or takes off your relish of spiritual things…that thing is sin to you, however innocent it may be in itself.”

Chaplain

Quote of the day:

"It was Huxley and Herbert Spencer and Bradlaugh who brought me back to orthodox theology. They sowed in my mind my first wild doubts of doubt. Our grandmothers were quite right when they said that Tom Paine and the free‑thinkers unsettled the mind. They do. They unsettled mine horribly. The rationalist made me question whether reason was of any use whatsoever; and when I had finished Herbert Spencer I had got as far as doubting (for the first time) whether evolution had occurred at all. As I laid down the last of Colonel Ingersoll’s atheistic lectures the dreadful thought broke across my mind, “Almost thou persuades me to be a Christian.” I was in a desperate way. (G. K. Chesterton)

Today's blog is on Acts 23 (Paul in Protective Custody, From Jerusalem to Caesarea) verses 3-5. Paul’s defense before the Sanhedrin (Israel's corrupt leaders) #2.

Samples from the study:

"The word “Pharisee,” as this interchange illustrates, is often used as something of a synonym for hypocrite, a haughty individual with a holier-than-thou air about them. Webster’s dictionary further articulates this common usage, defining the adjective “pharisaical” as being marked by “hypocritical censorious self-righteousness,” or “pretending to be highly moral or virtuous without actually being so.” To be called a Pharisee is far from a compliment; it is to be accused of living with a false sense of righteousness, being blind and foolish with self-deception, or carrying oneself with a smug and hypocritical legalism." (Carattini)

The men of the council were supposed to be example of the Law of Moses. The command to have Paul struck was in fact contrary to both the spirit and the letter of the law. Deuteronomy 25:1-2 says only a man found guilty can be beaten, and Paul had not yet been found guilty of anything. "It was absolutely forbidden for a man to be smitten without due process of law; and if smitten — he was to be smitten on the back, not on the mouth" (Courson).

Why did Paul call the high priest a whitewashed wall?
Should Christians ever respond vehemently when insulted?
Paul exposes Israel's high priest for being a hypocrite.
Why didn't Paul know Ananias was the High Priest?

Audio: The Voice of the Martyrs - Richard Wurmbrand: In Love With God

Merv Knight read Richard Wurmbrand’s book, Tortured for Christ, and it changed the path of his entire life. Merv helped found VOM-Australia and worked side by side with Richard and Sabina Wurmbrand for decades. This week he gives us an inside look, with stories of what it was like to minister alongside Richard and Sabina but also what kind of people they were behind the scenes and the deep love for Christ that allowed them to endure persecution while still holding firmly to their faith. Merv will also share the stories of some of the persecuted Christians that have inspired his own faith during almost five decades of ministry with The Voice of the Martyrs.

An amazing excerpt from a book that I am presently reading that goes in-depth on the subject of unbelief and how to help people come to see the truth of the gospel:

Turning the Tables

Chesterton’s approach is an example of the first of two broad responses to the anatomy of unbelief outlined in chapter five: the broadly negative strategy of “table turning.” This strategy turns on the fact that all arguments cut both ways. It therefore proceeds by taking people seriously in terms of what they say they believe and disbelieve, and then pushing them toward the consequences of their unbelief. The strategy assumes that if the Christian faith is true, their unbelief is not finally true, and they cannot fully be true to it. At some point the falseness shows through, and at that moment they will experience extreme cognitive dissonance, so that it is no longer in their best interest to continue to persist in believing what they believed until then. When they reach this point, they are facing up to their dilemma, and they will be open to rethinking their position in a profound way.

In chapter seven, we will examine the second approach: the broadly positive strategy of “signal triggering.” This strategy proceeds by making people aware of their human longings and desires, and what these passions point to. These are longings and desires that are innate and buried in their lives. In particular, the strategy draws their attention to what have been called the “signals of transcendence” that are embedded in their normal, daily experience. These are indicators that grow out of very positive experiences and, like beeping signals, puncture their present beliefs and point beyond them toward what would need to be true if these signals are to lead to a fulfilling destination. When people reach the point where such signals spur them to search, they become seekers and they look for answers that lie beyond their present beliefs.

Why are these two strategies needed, and what is the link between them? The simple answer is that they are both needed to reach people whose hearts and minds are closed. By its very nature, unbelief in any form is not open to God and his good news, so to those whose hearts are closed, the good news is simply not good news. That of course is where apologetics comes in. It is a form of pre-evangelism that precedes evangelism for those who are not open to God and the gospel. We must never distinguish apologetics and evangelism too neatly. But in broad terms, evangelism is the sharing of the good news, and it addresses the needs and desires of those who know they are in a bad situation. And broadly, apologetics is pre‑evangelism in that it addresses those who do not realize they are in a bad situation, and therefore do not see the gospel as the good news that it is. As John Wesley advised his young preachers in his day (when the Bible still shaped the horizon of most people’s lives), “Preach the Law until they are convicted, then preach Grace until they are converted.” What is urgently needed in our far more post‑ Christian times is the creative persuasion that is the proper business of apologetics. Only so will people be opened to seeing how good is the good news of the gospel.

Audio: Unbelievable? Homo Naledi and the Adam & Eve debate (9/26/15)

Homo Naledi is one of the most significant hominin (human ancestor) fossil discoveries in history. But what are the implication of these hominid species in the evolutionary record for creation, and Adam and Eve?

Fuz Rana of Reasons To Believe explains why, as an old Earth Creationist, he believes these species, amazing as they are, were not evolutionary precursors of humans. James Kidder of Biologos is a Theistic Evolutionist. He explains why he believes Homo Naledi and other early hominids are part the evolutionary process God has used to bring about humans.

Get the MP3 (right click/save as)

For Reasons To Believe: http://www.reasons.org

For James Kidder: http://scienceandcreation.blogspot.co.uk

Article: Does the Bible Contain Errors? By Professor Paul D. Feinberg

Why do you believe the Bible? It is an ancient book full of errors and contradictions." We have all heard this many times. However, most conservative evangelical Christians disagree with this claim. They hold to a doctrine called the inerrancy of Scripture.

The place to start our discussion is with a definition of inerrancy and error. By inerrancy, we mean that when all the facts are known, the Bible-in its original manuscripts and properly interpreted-will be shown to be true and never false in all that it affirms, whether related to doctrine, ethics, or the social, physical, or life sciences. Three matters in this definition are noteworthy. First, there is the recognition that we do not possess all the information to demonstrate the truth of the Bible. Much data has been lost due to the passing of time. It simply no longer exists. Other data await archaeological excavation. Second, inerrancy is defined in terms of truth that most philosophers today take to be a property of sentences, not words. This means that all the indicative sentences, or statements, of the Bible are true. Therefore, on this definition, an error in the Bible would require that it made a false statement. Finally, all information in the Bible, whatever the subject, is true. That is, it accurately records events and conversations, including the lies of men and Satan. It teaches truly about God, the human condition, and heaven and hell.

The belief in inerrancy rests on at least four lines of argument: the biblical, the historical, the epistemological, and the slippery slope arguments.

The biblical argument is drawn from what the Bible has to say about itself and is the most important. This argument may be formulated in a circular and a noncircular way. It is circular when one claims that the Bible says it is inspired and inerrant and that this is true because it is found in an inspired and inerrant Scripture. It is not circular when claims are made that are verifiable outside the document. This is possible because the Bible makes historical and geographical statements that are verifiable independently. Inerrancy follows from what the Bible has to say about its inspiration. It is the exhaled breath of God (2 Tm 3:16) and is the result of the Holy Spirit's guidance of human authors (2 Pt 1:21). It is a divine-human book. Moreover, the accreditation of a prophet in the OT requires nothing less than complete truthfulness (Dt 13:1-5; 18:20-22). Can God's written communication meet any less a standard? It should be noted that both these oral and written forms of communication involve the human element. This shows that human agency does not necessarily imply the presence of error. The Bible teaches its own authority as well. Matthew 5:17-20 teaches that heaven and earth will pass away before the smallest detail of the law fails to be fulfilled. John 10:34-35 teaches that Scripture cannot be broken. Furthermore, the way Scripture uses Scripture supports its inerrancy. At times arguments in Scripture rest on a single word (Ps 82:6; Jn 10:34-35), the tense of a verb (Mt 22:32), or the number of a noun (G13:16). Finally, the character of God stands behind His word, and He cannot lie (Nm 23:19; 1 Sm 15:29; Ti 1:2; Heb 6:18).

A second argument is historical. While there have been those who disagree, inerrancy has been the normative Christian view throughout history. Augustine writes, "I have learned to yield this respect and honor only to the canonical books of Scripture: of these alone do I most firmly believe that the authors were completely free from error." Luther says, "Everyone, indeed, knows that at times they [the fathers] - have erred as men will; therefore I am ready to trust them only when they prove their opinions from Scripture, which has never erred." John Wesley gave a similar opinion: "Nay, if there be any mistakes in the Bible, there may as well be a thousand. If there be one falsehood in that book, it did not come from the God of truth."

A third argument is epistemological (based on what and how we know something). A helpful way to formulate this argument is to recognize that if the Bible is not entirely true, then any of it may be false. This is particularly problematic when some of the most important information communicated is not verifiable through independent facts. It teaches about an invisible God, angels, and heaven. Inerrancy requires that those claims of the Bible that are testable will be shown to be true once all relevant information is available. Critics of the Bible's full truthfulness point out numerous alleged errors. But in these cases, the passage in question may have been misinterpreted by the critic or not all relevant facts are brought to light. During the twentieth century, numerous claims of the Bible, thought to be in error, were shown to be true in the light of more information. If that is so, why should anyone believe what is unverifiable? Only an inerrant Bible assures us that what we read is true.

The fourth argument is the slippery slope (not a fallacy in this case). The argument states that inerrancy is so fundamental that those admitting errors into the Bible will soon surrender other central doctrines like the deity of Christ and/or the substitutionary atonement. The denial of inerrancy leads to greater doctrinal error. This does not happen in every case, but it is demonstrable as a trend.

Each of these arguments has been criticized. However, a common and fundamental objection to them contends this doctrine is meaningless since it is true only of nonexistent autographs (the original manuscripts). But is it meaningless? Not if two conditions are met: (1) we possess a sufficient number of high-quality copies of the autographs, and (2) there is a sophisticated discipline of textual criticism to use these copies in determining what the original must have said. Both of these conditions are met in the case of the Bible.

The fundamental issue is the Bible's teaching of its own inerrancy. And for those who are skeptical, evidence from science, archaeology, and history has supported this claim over and over again.

Shengar

OK, so you're saying inherently (genetically) being gay does not mean hell? Let's take a homosexual who's accepted Jesus Christ as their lord and saviour.

We are all inherently sinners in need of salvation is what I believe. So no, being gay does not mean hell, being a sinner does. Good thing there is forgiveness from sin to be found in Christ.
I'm not a christian (I'm muslim myself) but since the tale of Lot and the question of homosexuality is also asked quite often among us, I would like to share my personal opinion on it.

I think it wasn't homosexuality that actually abhorred by God, but rather it was the taking of decadent and indulgent of sexual pleasure. The people of Sodom and Gomorrah was punished not for their practice of homosexuality but for being drown and indulged in the pleasure sex, and their refusal of Lot's call to repent themselves made God finally punished them. God's negative view on (uncontrolled) sexual act is a recurring thing in all of the three abrahamic religion, so the emphasis of Lot's tale should be on the sexual act, not homosexuality that would be sinful. Honestly, I think there isn't anything in people that inherently will make God ignore their good deeds altogether. It is God who decide who enter hell or heaven, not us. What His follower must do is follow what He commanded, make ourselves a better individual each day and try to make the other faithful to join in that struggle.
Thank you for the share, that last sentence especially is truth.

The Babylonian and Mayan didn't create mathematical breakthrough out of boredom. I wonder how such simple historical fact missed by so many supposedly well informed people.

Hopefully my post does not offend anyone, cheers!

Mobile Suit Gooch

Grundle: The Awakening
Ever been a member of a church that felt like a chore to go to and the only reason you're there is that you have some family there?

This is me.

Garryk

Ever been a member of a church that felt like a chore to go to and the only reason you're there is that you have some family there?

This is me.

Lots of people feel this way and I'm speaking from the same experience. I've heard my preacher and a couple of guest speakers say the same. I think a part of it is that much like some people learn differently (some people like to read, some need visuals), some people need a different type of worship to feel connected to God.

The church I went to when I was growing up felt like the preacher just wanted to scare you into being Christ-like. When I had to find a church as an adult I felt like every church viewed my membership as a source of income that always needed to be increasing.

My church that I attend now was the first one that really clicked with me from the first service. The singing, prayers, and sermons all spoke to me and continue to do so. Church should not feel like an obligation, but a celebration. If you don't have that, then you need to keep looking. I highly recommend reading the book "Celebration of Discipline" because it really helped me discover what worship should be. Basically that following the teachings of Christ should feel liberating and inspirational, not like rules meant to keep you from having any fun.

MagnumBoy20xx

Neo Member

This is me.
Yeah,I'm in a similar situation myself,but I realized that the reason we're at that church is because it's the one delivering the messages we need to hear.

Do you have any possible transportation to go to a different church? And if so, do you have any other churches in mind? If you do, I would recommend praying about going to a different one by yourself. My family is very supportive of me going to a different church as them if I felt that I was being called to go somewhere else.

If you talk to yours about it, I'm sure they might feel the same.

Mobile Suit Gooch

Yeah,I'm in a similar situation myself,but I realized that the reason we're at that church is because it's the one delivering the messages we need to hear.

Do you have any possible transportation to go to a different church? And if so, do you have any other churches in mind? If you do, I would recommend praying about going to a different one by yourself. My family is very supportive of me going to a different church as them if I felt that I was being called to go somewhere else.

If you talk to yours about it, I'm sure they might feel the same.

No, I don't have transportation of my own. There's this church in close small town that I'm looking to play the piano for (which looks like it's possible) and there's another one on the other side of that town I love visiting. I don't think my folks are gonna be very understanding about that.

Things I dislike about my current one:

• The services never click with me.
    when have those special services, they never feel that way. (I.E Homecoming)
    I don't like the way the choirs sing their songs. (especially the senior choir)
    We're without a pastor right now. It's because his company got into some legal trouble and the Deacons overreacted and gave him the pink slip.
    I don't like the look of our building nor the sanctuary either.
    Since our pastor is gone, a good amount of people left too,
    I don't have many friends there like I use to.

Thanks GarryK.

MagnumBoy20xx

Neo Member
No, I don't have transportation of my own. There's this church in close small town that I'm looking to play the piano for (which looks like it's possible) and there's another one on the other side of that town I love visiting. I don't think my folks are gonna be very understanding about that.

Things I dislike about my current one:

• The services never click with me.
    when have those special services, they never feel that way. (I.E Homecoming)
    I don't like the way the choirs sing their songs. (especially the senior choir)
    We're without a pastor right now. It's because his company got into some legal trouble and the Deacons overreacted and gave him the pink slip.
    I don't like the look of our building nor the sanctuary either.
    Since our pastor is gone, a good amount of people left too,
    I don't have many friends there like I use to.

Thanks GarryK.

I can understand that. Back when I was at Colorado, we had to leave our church that we had been at eversince we had moved there. It isn't easy to leave behind friends, and it definitely wasn't easy for those who had stayed. My mom still gets calls from friends who are still there dealing with the constant changes going on, and its been about 3 years since then.

I'm in the same boat when it comes to transportation, as I still don't have a drivers license despite being a freshman in college. It can be very tough not being able to go to different places or stay in contact with you old friends.

Do you know why your family has decided to stay? I know that the people who stayed at my old church did so to try to help heal it from some of the fallout, and maintain a steady continuity for some of the newer members.

Mobile Suit Gooch

Do you know why your family has decided to stay? I know that the people who stayed at my old church did so to try to help heal it from some of the fallout, and maintain a steady continuity for some of the newer members.

Basically like this "You gotta support your church, no matter what." kinda thing. Even though the deacons were in the wrong. Also, it's like a traditional thing so...Yeah. Going to that other church to play piano would be my way out without the drama.

I'm an Usher so that makes things a bit harder.

MagnumBoy20xx

Neo Member
Basically like this "You gotta support your church, no matter what." kinda thing. Even though the deacons were in the wrong. Also, it's like a traditional thing so...Yeah. Going to that other church to play piano would be my way out without the drama.

I'm an Usher so that makes things a bit harder.
I see. I can understand wanting to support your church home, but I do also understand leaving because of your convictions. It's a very difficult situation to be in, one that can only be solved with time and prayer.

Do you enjoy the services and fellowship at the other church? If you do, and are willing to serve over there are it could be a good opportunity to spend time with a different body of believers.

Mobile Suit Gooch

I see. I can understand wanting to support your church home, but I do also understand leaving because of your convictions. It's a very difficult situation to be in, one that can only be solved with time and prayer.

Do you enjoy the services and fellowship at the other church? If you do, and are willing to serve over there are it could be a good opportunity to spend time with a different body of believers.

Well, to be honest, the only time I get to go to those other churches is when they're having a musical program (which is where they invite other churches to sing) or a funeral.

My great-uncle, who is a preacher himself, spoke at one of my favorite churches revival. (one of the churches I've already mentioned) their pastor even shouted me out.

Serve there? I don't know yet even though I'm familiar with some of the people there, I gotta ....think about that.

MagnumBoy20xx

Neo Member
Well, to be honest, the only time I get to go to those other churches is when they're having a musical program (which is where they invite other churches to sing) or a funeral.

My great-uncle, who is a preacher himself, spoke at one of my favorite churches revival. (one of the churches I've already mentioned) their pastor even shouted me out.

Serve there? I don't know yet even though I'm familiar with some of the people there, I gotta ....think about that.
When I say serve, I meant something like playing piano or helping out wherever you might be able to. Nothing majorly time consuming unless you feel led to.

And it's perfectly fine to need to think things over. That's just how the process of making these type of desicions goes. All we really can do is pray about what we should do and where we should be. Eventually, we will find clarity and piece of mind to be able to make the choices that we feel are right.

Mobile Suit Gooch

When I say serve, I meant something like playing piano or helping out wherever you might be able to. Nothing majorly time consuming unless you feel led to.

And it's perfectly fine to need to think things over. That's just how the process of making these type of desicions goes. All we really can do is pray about what we should do and where we should be. Eventually, we will find clarity and piece of mind to be able to make the choices that we feel are right.

Oh, yeah sure! Right now I'm just a substitute as in if their current guy can't come to the service, they'll call.

Chaplain

Quote of the day:

“Sanctification is an immediate work of the Spirit of God on the souls of believers, purifying and cleansing of their natures from the pollution and uncleanness of sin, renewing in them the image of God, and thereby enabling them, from a spiritual and habitual principle of grace, to yield obedience unto God, according unto the tenor and terms of the new covenant, by virtue of the life and death of Jesus Christ.… Hence it follows that our holiness, which is the fruit and effect of this work, the work as terminated in us, as it compriseth the renewed principle or image of God wrought in us, so it consists in a holy obedience unto God by Jesus Christ, according to the terms of the covenant of grace, from the principle of a new nature." (Puritan John Owen)

Today's blog is on Acts 23 (Paul in Protective Custody, From Jerusalem to Caesarea) verses 6-11. Paul’s defense before the Sanhedrin (Israel's corrupt leaders) #3.

Samples from the study:

"Scholars acknowledge that the Sadducees did not believe in resurrection. Some think that this passage indicates that they did not believe in an angelic or spiritual intermediate state between death and resurrection either. The Greek syntax indicates that the Sadducees were said here not to believe in all three—resurrection, angels, or spirits, in other words, any spiritual state or spiritual beings—while the Pharisees acknowledged the existence of them all." (ASB)

"When does the Lord appear to you and me? Frequently He becomes most real to us when we're in the midst of darkness — when we're discouraged and defeated, when things appear hopeless. Why? Didn't Jesus say He was the Light of the world (John 8:12)? If I strike a match in a well-lit room, it won't be noticed at all. But if I strike a match in a pitch-black room it will be seen very readily. So too with the Lord. I have found He is seen most clearly by me when things are pretty dark. When things go fine, I get caught up in everything around me and I'm not always tuned in to the Lord. It's in the night, when I'm wondering, `Lord, am I doing anything right at all? Why am I so stubborn? Why am I so hard of heart?' — that I see the Lord most clearly, for as the Light of the world, the darker the situation, the brighter He shines." (Courson)

"How is it that we always seem to picture Jesus as condemning us. Probably because of all the preachers we've heard in the past. I know that that's true in my own case. Man, I've been condemned by so many preachers during my whole lifetime. The finger was always pointing at me. And so, I, in my mind, just associated that with Jesus and I figured Jesus was constantly condemning me for good reason. But one day I read, "There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus" (Romans 8:1). And I read where Jesus said, "I did not come to condemn the world, but that the world through Me might be saved. And he that believeth is not condemned" (John 3:17-18). And then I read Paul's question, "Who is he that condemneth?" And I read his answer, "Not Jesus, for He died, yea rather, is risen again, and is even at the right hand of the Father, making intercession for me" (Romans 8:34). He's not my condemner; He's my intercessor. And my whole life changed. My relationship with Jesus changed completely when I found out that He was there to lift me up instead of to push me down. He was there to draw me in instead of push me out. He was there to lift me up. How thankful I am for Jesus." (Smith)

Paul exploits the theological differences between the Pharisees and the Sadducees.
The clash between two worldviews: Sadducees/Materialists vs. Pharisees/Super-naturalists .
Paul is rescued by the Roman commander.
Why did Paul become discouraged and defeated?
Jesus appears to Paul in the night.
Why does Jesus want to meet us in our struggles?
Jesus comforts Paul by telling him to cheer up.
Why is it God's will that we choose to be cheerful when we are suffering?
Does Jesus condemn us when we are weak?
Are Christians responsible for how people response to the gospel?
What does it mean that our lives are in God's hands?

9/24/15 - The Reasons for Unity, Pt. 2 (Ephesians 4:4-6)
9/25/15 - A Calling To Live Holy Lives (1 Peter 1:15-16)
9/26/15 - A House Built on Wisdom (Proverbs 24:3-4) (Marriage Study)
9/27/15 - Revelation 20:11-15
9/27/15 - The Power of the Gospel (Ac 2:14-41)
9/27/15 - Contend Earnestly for the Faith (Jud 1:1-25)
9/27/15 - Genesis 20
9/27/15 - Luke 15:1-32
9/27/15 - The Four Horsemen (Revelation 6:1-8)
9/27/15 - The Deceiver Destroyed (II Thessalonians 2:7-12)
9/27/15 - Israel Judged for Her Sins (Amos 2:6-16)
9/27/15 - Amos 1-2

Video: Has Science Buried God? (9/28/2015)

Professor John Lennox addresses "Has Science Buried God?" on Monday, September 28 at 7:00 p.m. CT at Rice University. His talk will be followed by a question and answer session.

Article: Do Angels Really Exist? (Peter S. Williams)

Christian testimony is bound up with the believability of a worldview pervaded by finite spiritual beings – generically known as 'angels' and 'demons' – that sometimes interact with human beings. The philosophical contemplation of such non-divine immaterial agents is called 'angelology' (a subject that includes the sub-discipline of 'demonology').

Video: Radical Islam: The Most Dangerous Ideology

Is radical Islam our generation's most dangerous ideology? Is it comparable to what Nazism and Communism were in the 20th century? Or are Islamists no more dangerous than extremist Christians, Jews, and Buddhists? Raymond Ibrahim, author of "The Al Qaeda Reader," explains what radical Islam is, and shows how Muslims and non-Muslims alike can help defeat it.

Article: So God's Really in the Details? (New York Times)

Economists use probability theory to make forecasts about consumer spending. Actuaries use it to calculate insurance premiums. Last month, Richard Swinburne, a professor of philosophy at Oxford University, put it to work toward less mundane ends: he invoked it to defend the belief that Jesus was resurrected from the dead.

Mr. Swinburne, a commanding figure with snow-white hair and piercing blue eyes, proceeded to weigh evidence for and against the Resurrection, assigning values to factors like the probability that there is a God, the nature of Jesus' behavior during his lifetime and the quality of witness testimony after his death. Then, while his audience followed along on printed lecture notes, he plugged his numbers into a dense thicket of letters and symbols -- using a probability formula known as Bayes's theorem -- and did the math. ''Given e and k, h is true if and only if c is true,'' he said. ''The probability of h given e and k is .97''

In plain English, this means that, by Mr. Swinburne's calculations, the probability of the Resurrection comes out to be a whopping 97 percent.

Article: Former supermodel converts to Christianity and becomes a pastor: 'It was out of my power and God changed me'

Former supermodel Tracy Trinita converted to Christianity, left the industry to study at Oxford and became a pastor. She now travels the world sharing the gospel.

Dicktatorship

Christians were targeted today by the gunman in Oregon.

The shooter was lining up people and asking if they were Christian, Bodhi Looney posted. If they said yes, then they were shot in the head. If they said no, or didn’t answer, they were shot in the legs

http://news.yahoo.com/oregon-community-college-gunman-sympathized-with-va-tv-shooter-shared-newtown-school-shooting-documentary-062320159.html

This really hits home for me. For the first time in a long time I got down on my knees to pray aloud instead of silently before bed. God bless those who lost their lives and loved ones today. I pray that those injured are not called off to meet their maker today, or anytime soon. While Heaven and salvation await, this life we live is precious and I hope their gift will not be taken from them in such a vile, disgusting way.

Chaplain

Quote of the day:

"People who assert that everything comes down to choice and that the future is full of possibilities believe that they have a basis for hope, but acknowledge that the future is unknown. Of course, the French existentialist writers were famous for this. I was recently at a conference and asked all who had read any of the existentialists to raise their hands. A surprising number did. I then asked them to keep their hands in the air if they had ever read a happy one. Two things happened. Everyone put his or her hand down, and everyone laughed. There is no such thing as a happy existentialist novel! Why? For all the existentialists’ desire for hope, when their open future was realized, it always disappointed. Indeed, confronted with this void, some (like Camus) concluded that suicide was the “one truly serious philosophical problem.” In this sense, hope becomes wishful thinking when it has no secure future. On the other hand, fatalists believe they have a future, but no hope. Nothing is or can be done; all has been determined. However, only God is big enough to be able to say, “I know the plans I have for you…plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” There is no hope without a secure future. The future is frightening in the absence of hope. Only God is big enough to bring these two things together—hope and a future–and this is what He has done for us. (Ramsden)

Today's blog is on Acts 24 (Paul’s Trial Before Felix) verses 1-9. Paul is accused of multiple charges by the religious leaders of Israel.

Samples from the study:

"On the throne sat Felix, the faded and withered pagan. A former slave. He became a favorite of Claudius, and by that emperor was exalted to high rank. Greed, cruelty and lust were stamped upon his countenance. His administration as procurator of Judea had been marked by injustice, extortion and violence. By his side sat the lovely Jewess Drusilla, a daughter of Herod Agrippa. She had first married a Gentile, who to please her, had become a Jew. Then Felix, with the aid of a sorcerer's incantations, had won her from her husband and was living with her in sin and shame. All that was dishonorable in mankind was represented by that combination of Felix and Drusilla as they sat on the throne awaiting the address by Saint Paul. Before them, with chains on his arms and his body scarred with the marks of his sufferings for Christ's sake, and his coarse garment, which his own hands had woven, contrasting with the velvet and purple of Felix and his paramour, stood the lonely ambassador for Christ." (Macartney 1974, 142)

"Flattery is an often-neglected sin, one that the Bible speaks about more often than one might think. Romans 16:18 speaks to us of who do not serve our Lord Jesus Christ, but their own belly, and by smooth words and flattering speech deceive the hearts of the simple. Jude 1:16 speaks of those who mouth great swelling words, flattering people to gain advantage." (Guzik)

"The enemies of the early Church called the believers either Christians, or Nazarenes. `Christian' or `little Christ' was meant to mock the Lord, and `Nazarene' called attention to the fact that He was from Nazareth — the hick-town about which Nathaniel asked, `Can any good thing come out of Nazareth?' (John 1:46)." (Courson)

The religious leaders bring in a famous lawyer to assemble their case against Paul.
Background on the former slave turned governor Antonius Felix.
Tertullus introduces his accusation against Paul with lies presented as flattery to Felix.
Why does God consider flattery a sin?
Paul’s accusers state their specific charges: politically dangerous & profaner of God's the temple.
Why was it an insult to be called a Nazarene?
Tertullus concludes his accusation against Paul.

9/29/15 - James 5:13-16
9/30/15 - Titus 2
9/30/15 - Proverbs 16:1-18
9/30/15 - Isaiah 47-48
9/30/15 - Ecclesiastes 1-2

Video: Father Describes How Oregon College Shooter Targeted Christians

Article: How Does One Develop a Christian Mind? By J. P. Moreland

First, it is a mind that has formed the habit of being focused on God constantly throughout the day. It is a mind preoccupied with God and directed regularly towards Him in prayer and meditation (Ps 16:8; Is 26:3, Lk 18:1; Ro 12:12; 1Th 5:16-18). But how can one do this and still perform one’s daily tasks? Fortunately, people can do more than one thing at the same time. While driving a car or centering one’s attention on some other task, one can still be aware of God in the boundaries of one’s attention. And one can bring God to the center of prayerful focus at various times throughout the day. There are two habits that facilitate focusing on God constantly. First, memorize four or five Bible passages that really speak to you. Now make it a practice to pray these passages to the Lord all throughout the day. As you pray through a passage phrase by phrase, use it to pray about things of concern to you. Second, regularly ponder these passages or other scriptural readings, thinking of what they mean. of how you can internalize them, and how you can promote them to others.

The second aspect of a mature Christian mind is one that sees all of life in light of a Christian worldview and is growing in intellectual excellence. A worldview is the sum total of the things one believes, especially in regards to reality, truth, knowledge and value. A Christian worldview is a biblically grounded set of beliefs about all of life, from work, recreation, and finances, to God, life after death, and morality. One tries to think of all of life in light of the teachings of Holy Scripture and, more specifically, of the Lord Jesus. There is no secular/sacred separation in such a mind. All of life is an occasion for discipleship and worship for a mature Christian mind. Further, an intellectually excellent mind is one that is informed, that makes important distinctions when a less mature mind fails to do so, and that develops deeper and deeper insights into issues of importance. To develop such excellence, one must regularly read and expose oneself to excellent teaching. Try to tread books that are a bit challenging to understand. One must also be willing to engage others – believers and unbelievers – in conversations about important worldview issues. Such regular practice, if combines with a growing ability to listen non-defensively, will bring motivation and opportunity for regular growth in intellectual excellence.

Video: John Lennox: the Discovery of Water on Mars

In a Q&A during an event at Rice University, "Has Science Buried God?," Professor John Lennox answers the question, "What of the discovery of water on Mars?" Listen to this clip to hear Dr. Lennox's response.

Video: Isn't 'faith' just for weak-minded fools?

Chaplain

Quote of the day:

"Let us say with the great German reformer, as he said of truth in regard to the evil one, “One little word will fell him.” Let us demonstrate with our brother the great Russian novelist and dissident, “One word of truth outweighs the entire world.” If faith is not true, it would be false even if the whole world believed it. If our faith is true, it would be true even if the whole world were against it. So let the conviction ring out from this conference. We worship and serve the God of truth and humbly and resolutely, we seek to live as people of truth. Here we still stand, so help us God. As evangelicals we are people of the good news, but may we also always be people of truth, worthy of the God of truth. God is true. God can be trusted in all situations. Have faith in God. Have no fear. Hold fast to truth. And may God be with us all." (Guinness)

Today's blog is on Acts 24 (Paul’s Trial Before Felix) verses 10-21. Paul’s defense against lies, rumors, and innuendos.

Samples from the study:

"Christianity is not a matter of preference or pedigree, but pilgrimage chosen specifically because a follower has found one worth following. “[Jesus] was the meekest and lowliest of all the sons of men,” wrote Scottish nobleman James Stewart, “yet he spoke of coming on the clouds of heaven with the glory of God… No one was half so kind or compassionate to sinners yet no one ever spoke such red-hot scorching words about sin… His whole life was love. Yet on one occasion he demanded of the Pharisees how they ever expected to escape the damnation of hell… He saved others but at the last, Himself He did not save. There is nothing in history like the union of contrasts which confront us in the Gospels.” Why Christian? Because there is none other like Christ." (RZIM)

"The unjust will be resurrected at the end of the thousand-year reign of Christ. "And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before the great white throne" (Revelation 20:11-12). Death and hell gave up the dead which were in them. The sea gave up the dead which was in it. And they all stood there before the throne of God and the books were opened and they were judged. This is the second resurrection, the resurrection of the unjust unto everlasting shame and contempt. So Paul believes in the resurrection, both of the just and the unjust, even as was declared by Daniel chapter twelve, verse two." (Smith)

"Here's the question: Since the Law required every accusation to be verified by at least two witnesses (Deuteronomy 19:15), where were the witnesses? I have another question: Not only where were the witnesses, but where were James, and the leaders of the Church in Jerusalem, who gave Paul the counsel to go into the Temple in the first place? Tertullus, Ananias, and the elders made the journey to accuse Paul, but why did no one make the same journey to defend him?" (Courson)

Paul exposes the weakness of the case against him that was based on rumors and lies.
Why is God's truth so important?
Is all of the Old Testament about Jesus?
Why did Paul believe in two ultimate resurrections: one for the righteous and one for the unrighteous)?
What does it mean to have a clean conscience toward God and mankind?
What is consciousness?
Paul explains why he was arrested.

Video: The American Dream? Charles Lee and Michael Puett at Harvard University

Charles Lee (Stanford) and Michael Puett (Harvard) discuss "The American Dream - Money, God and the Pursuit of Happiness" at Harvard University on Sept 27th, 2014. The conversation was moderated by Dean of Harvard College Rakesh Khurana.

Audio: Unbelievable? Do Mormons believe in Grace? Bill McKeever & James Holt (10/3/15)

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (Mormonism) differs from mainstream Christianity in various ways. Some Christians, including Bill McKeever of Mormonism Research Ministry, say that LDS believers have an unbiblical view of Grace - the free gift of forgiveness by Christ.

James Holt, a UK Mormon involved in academic research with the LDS Church, responds to Bill on questions such as whether verses in the Book of Mormon requires believers to do 'works' for salvation and Bill's challenge that the Mormons he meets don't have assurance of salvation.

For Mormonism Research Ministry: http://www.mrm.org/

For The LDS Church: https://www.lds.org/

Short videos:

Should universities take religion seriously?
What does religion have to do with the university?
How should the university approach religious knowledge?
Ravi Zacharias on pleasure and meaninglessness
Francis Collins on How medical school led him to Christianity

Chaplain

Quote of the day:

"Our goal is not to teach people to come to know something about God, but to come to know and love him, and to be known and loved by him. How absurd, then, to think that we by ourselves can do what needs to be done, and we can do it simply through words. God is his own best apologist, and it is he himself who draws people to know and love him, and through life and not simply words. All humans have these ceaseless yearnings, Gregory of Nyssa writes, not simply because we are incomplete but because God is infinite. God's wonder and beauty become overwhelmingly attractive be-cause they are infinite and inexhaustible. "This is what it means to see God: never to have this desire satisfied" Our other and lesser human desires for food, sleep, sex and pleasure can each be satisfied completely as they arise. "But our yearning to see God will be satisfied only by knowing God more fully and more intimately. The more we know, the more we desire to know." (Guinness)

Today's blog is on Acts 24 (Paul’s Trial Before Felix) verses 22-27. Paul's defense before Felix.

Samples from the study:

"How did Felix get his knowledge of the Way — of Christianity? We don't know for sure, but there are references in ancient literature to Felix spending a great deal of time with Simon the sorcerer. After Simon's conversion was called into question (Acts 8:20), he disappeared from the scene Scripturally. But history records much about Simon the sorcerer including his becoming a friend of Felix." (Courson)

“By Felix's side sat the lovely Jewess Drusilla, a daughter of Herod Agrippa. She had first married a Gentile, who to please her, had become a Jew. Then Felix, with the aid of a sorcerer's incantations, had won her from her husband and was living with her in sin and shame.” (Macartney 1974, 142)

"Have you ever noticed that many times when you were fighting with your own conscience concerning a wrong deed what a fight and what a struggle it was for you, and after you did it how bad you felt, how guilty you felt? Vowing to yourself, "That's terrible; I'll never do that again." But the next time the issue came up, it wasn't quite so hard to you. You didn't have quite a battle as you did before against the evil. And it continues to create the patterns, until finally a person can do without any pangs of conscience that which one time disturbed him tremendously. Paul calls that a seared conscience with a hot iron. That is, you've destroyed the sensitivity against evil and that's always a sad case to observe. Now when you continually are deferring your decision for Jesus Christ, you're setting a pattern, making it more difficult to accept. Each time you say no, it will become harder to say yes. That is why 9/10ths of the decisions made for Jesus Christ are made while in the teenage years. Nine out of ten Christians became Christians while they were teenagers, before they had set these negative brain patterns." (Smith)

Pr28.13

'What our culture needs is an apologetic that is not merely argued, but also felt. There has to be a passion in the communication. There must be a felt reality beyond the cognitive, engaging the feeling of the listener. Second, it must be an apologetic that is not merely heard, but also seen. We live within a context that listens with its eyes. So much has happened over the last few years to discredit the carriers of the gospel that seeing is indeed going to be a precursor to believing. Finally, we need an apologetic that will rescue not only the ends but also the means. I bemoan the loss of linguistic strength in our time. Jacques Ellul rightly describes this culture as one that has humiliated the word; we have lost the beauty in language. Alexander Pope described the conversion of water into wine: "The conscious water saw its master and blushed." A thousand pictures could not do better than that word picture for us." (Zacharias)

Felix avoids making a legal decision in Paul's case.
Background on the daughter of Herod Agrippa.
An example of Biblical apologetics: Paul uses reason and logic to witness to Felix about the meaning and purpose of life.
Felix avoids (procrastinates) making a spiritual decision.
Does a person reject Jesus if they avoid making a decision about him?
Felix’s heart is revealed by attempting to bribe Paul and break Roman law.

10/4/15 - Seeing Jesus In The Feasts
10/4/15 - How to Grow and Mature Spiritually (Ac 2:42-47)
10/4/15 - Grace Alone! (Gal 1:1-10)
10/4/15 - Shut Your Trap (Proverbs 17:27-28)
10/4/15 - Persecution and Panic (Revelation 6:9-17)
10/4/15 - Religion, a Step Away From God (Amos 4:1-13)
10/4/15 - Amos 3-4
10/4/15 - Truth, Responsibility, and Prayer (II Thessalonians 2:13-17)
10/4/15 - Genesis 22
10/4/15 - Luke 16:1-31

Audio: The Voice of the Martyrs - Reaching Muslim Women

Muslim women face oppression in society and even in their own families, sometimes forced to hide even their very faces from the world. JoAnn Doyle leads an outreach to share the truth with Muslim women that they are Not Forgotten, that Jesus Christ loved them so much He even gave His life for them. Listen in as JoAnn shares how we can reach out to Muslim women, even through simple acts of kindness and conversation. We’ll also answer a question from a reader about how Christians inside the world’s most closed nation—North Korea—pray and worship Jesus Christ.

Article: A Treaty with Reality

As the proverbial saying goes, “The truth will set you free.” In fact, those are Jesus’s very words in John 8. However, we are prone to want freedom and truth on our own terms.

Chaplain

Video: Animated Explanation of 'The Messiah'

Quote of the day:

"The Holy Spirit's function in discipleship is shown in the ability to witness fearlessly in the face of martyrdom. When they bring you to trial and deliver you up (the same word used by Jesus for his passion, 9:31;10:32), do not be anxious beforehand what you are to say; but say whatever is given you in that hour, for it is not you who speak, but the Holy Spirit" (13:11). The ultimate test of the Spirit, as of discipleship, was not an escape from physical death. The disciple should not expect deliverance in the hour of trial any more than Jesus did—but only the power to witness faithfully." (Montague)

Today's blog is on Acts 25 (Paul's Trial Before Festus) verses 1-12. Paul appeals to Caesar to avoid a plot against his life.

Samples from the study:

"`Count it all joy when you enter into various trials,' wrote James in the second verse of the first chapter of his Epistle. Truly, Paul was one who had entered `various trials'! His legal ordeal, which had begun on the steps of the Fortress Antonia in Jerusalem, took him to the Sanhedrin and on to Caesarea, where he stood before the Roman Governor, Festus." (Courson)

"We see a growth of corruption. In Acts 23, where the plot to murder Paul was first launched, we find that it was the zealots who were responsible. Now, in Acts 25, we find that the leaders are initiating the very thing they were only tangentially involved in earlier." (Boice)

"Individual acts of sin are merely the symptoms of the true condition of our hearts. It is not accidental that the call to Christian growth in the Scriptures repeatedly zeros-in on such seemingly benign “human shortcomings” as bitterness, rage, anger, harsh words, slander, and malicious behavior (Ephesians 4:31). In his watershed address, The Sermon on the Mount, Jesus placed a great deal of emphasis on lust, anger, and contempt—behaviors and attitudes that would probably not rank high on our lists of problems in need of urgent resolution. Armed with firm and sometimes unconscious categories of serious versus tolerable sins, we gloss over lists of vices in the Scriptures because they seem to be of little consequence to life as we experience it. But when we fail to grasp the subtleties of sin, we run the risk of rendering much of biblical wisdom irrelevant to our daily life and practice." (Njoroge)

Paul's Jewish accusers decide to re-try the case against him after two years of being in prison.
Paul's Jewish accusers let bitterness consume their hearts.
Are small harmless petty sins like bitterness nothing to worry about?
Festus refuses to put Paul on trial again in Jerusalem.
Festus re-opens the trial in Caesarea.
How should we respond to false accusations?
Paul appeals his case to Caesar.

Article: Questioning God

“Life just doesn’t seem fair.” How often do you find yourself uttering those words? The unscrupulous continue to get richer while the poor continue to be oppressed and victimized. This complaint is especially poignant when family, friends, or leaders whom we expect to act honorably and for our welfare betray our trust. We experience the injustice of people getting away with backstabbing, manipulation, and deception, prospering while those who choose to do what is right are misunderstood and discriminated against. Where is God in the midst of all these? Does God see and judge? If so when and how?

Article: You Don’t Honestly Believe That!

In some countries of the world the Bible is contraband. Smuggling operations exist with the sole aim of getting them secretly across closed borders and into the hands of those who want to read it. I will never forget getting off a train in an Asian country at four o’clock one morning and making my way to a rendezvous with three indigenous church leaders. A team of us were delivering bags filled with Bibles that were to be distributed amongst the churches farther north. When our friends unzipped the bags and looked inside, the tears began to flow down their cheeks. These books were so precious to the Christian believers that they were prepared to risk imprisonment and persecution in order to get hold of them. I found it intriguing that the Bible should inspire such sacrifice and courage in the hearts of those who want to read it.

Article: Questions of Power

A story told in the Hebrew scriptures offers a dramatic interplay of manipulation and honor, kings and kingdoms, power and powerlessness. It is the story more commonly known as “Daniel and the Lion’s Den.” But this title, accurate though it is in terms of the dramatic climax, actually misses the main actors entirely. Ultimately, the story is a depiction of power and weakness at play in two very different kingdoms and communities. On one side stands Darius, the mighty king and ruler of the people and nations, powerful sovereign of the powerful majority. On the other side is the God of Daniel, king of a community in exile, the ruler of a minority people whose city lies in ruins. The question of sovereignty seems as though it has already been answered quite definitively.

Article: Why Did Some Historic Christians Promote Slavery While Others Condemned It?

The 2006 movie, Amazing Grace, chronicled the abolition movement and caused many people to consider the role Christianity played in both the promotion and abolition of slavery. Many Christians are uncomfortable with the historic role believers have played related to slavery in our country. Many devout, church-attending Christians owned slaves right alongside non-believers. Sadly, these believers often cited Christian Scripture to support their ownership of slaves. Prior to the Civil War, many southern slave owners excused their slave ownership by pointing to passages in the Bible.

Article: Four Differences Between New Testament Servitude and New World Slavery

Many words in the Bible had one meaning for those who lived in New Testament times and another for those of us living today. When we think of the institution of slavery, for example, most of us think about the bondage and oppression experienced by African Americans in the 18th and 19th centuries here in America. But the New Testament Servitude (NTS) of the Ancient Near East had little in common with the New World Slavery (NWS) of our American ancestors. So before we, as Christians, become defensive with atheists who claim God somehow approved slavery in the Old and New Testament, we need to examine the difference between these two forms of servitude. Many historic Christian leaders failed to understand these differences as they errantly used the Bible to defend their slave ownership; others learned the historic place of indentured servitude and came to understand how such a system could be reconciled with the words of Jesus. This latter group eventually answered the call of Scripture and abolished New World Slavery altogether.

Article: Why Would God Have Permitted Any Form of Servitude or Slavery?

Many skeptics claim the God of the Bible actually endorses slavery. They make this claim on the basis of specific terminology used in the Old and New Testament. We’ve already highlighted the difference, however, between the New Testament Servitude of the Ancient Near East and the New World Slavery of our American ancestors. But it’s fair to ask an even more foundational question: Why would God allow any form of servitude or slavery in the first place? This question is a subset of other skeptical queries attempting to reconcile the existence of evil with the existence of a loving, all powerful God. While there are many reasonable explanations and responses to the problem of evil, this particular objection related to slavery is grounded in a presupposition about God’s purpose here on earth.

Article: A great explanation of the Trinity: Love, Lover, and Beloved

If reason is conscribed by logic, then at our best, we must speak of the Trinity in analogical terms. In other words, we look for analogies from our human experience, analogical images, pictures, or descriptions that offer an analogous explanation for that which is unexplainable. For Augustine, love best illustrated the nature of the Trinity. “Now when I, who am asking about this, love anything, there are three things present: I myself, what I love, and love itself. For I cannot love love unless I love a lover; for there is no love where nothing is loved. So there are three things: the lover, the loved and the love.”(3) From this analogy, Augustine argues that God’s nature is indeed relational and personal as it is expressed in a divine community of love. It cannot be said that God is love (1 John 4:8) if God is alone and monadic. Instead, love resides both in God’s nature as a personal being and in relationship to the beloved (Jesus Christ) by love (Holy Spirit).

Chaplain

Quote of the day:

"A Russian Army captain came to a minister in Hungary and asked to see him alone. The young captain was very brash, and very conscious of his role as a conqueror. When he had been led to a small conference room and the door was closed, he nodded toward the cross that hung on the wall. “You know that thing is a lie,” he said to the minister. “It’s just a piece of trickery you ministers use to delude the poor people to make it easier for the rich to keep them ignorant. Come now, we are alone. Admit to me that you never really believed that Jesus Christ was the Son of God!” The minister smiled. “But, my poor young man, of course I believe it. It is true.” “I won’t have you play these tricks on me!” cried the captain. “This is serious. Don’t laugh at me!” He drew out his revolver and held it close to the body of the minister. “Unless you admit to me that it is a lie, I’ll fire!” “I cannot admit that, for it is not true. Our Lord is really and truly the Son of God,” said the minister. The captain flung his revolver on the floor and embraced the man of God. Tears sprang to his eyes. “It is true!” he cried. “It is true. I believe so, too, but I could not be sure men would die for this belief until I found it out for myself. Oh, thank you! You have strengthened my faith. Now I too can die for Christ. You have shown me how.” (Tortured for Christ)

Today's blog is on Acts 25 (Paul's Trial Before Festus) verses 13-27. Paul’s hearing before King Agrippa.

Samples from the study:

The words “a certain Jesus” show that Festus didn’t know much about Jesus. It is good to remember that the great and important people of Paul’s day didn’t know much about Jesus, and they had to be told. “Brethren, this is why we must keep on preaching Jesus Christ, because he is still so little known. The masses of this city are as ignorant of Jesus as Festus was.” (Spurgeon)

"In II Corinthians 10, Paul described his own appearance as being physically weak. Historians verify that he was a short man with bowed legs, a long hooked nose, little hair, and runny eyes — and yet here this `little man' commanded the attention of the entire Roman provincial capital of Caesarea. It's amazing what the Lord can do with a little of anything. Consider Bethlehem: a tiny, insignificant town, but perhaps the most well-known village in all of history because Jesus was in it. And where Jesus is, things happen in a big way." (Courson)

Background on Herod Agrippa and Bernice.
Festus explains the case involving Paul to the visiting King Agrippa.
Paul the prisoner is brought before Agrippa, Bernice, and Festus.
Festus declares Paul's innocence in his opening statement before King Agrippa.

Audio: 10/07/15 - Proverbs 16:18-24 (Right-click to save this file)

Audio: Is Culture Dead? Part 1 (Right-click to save this file)

The Peruvian novelist, Mario Vargas Llosa, thinks culture is dead. His latest book, Notes on the Death of Culture, makes the case that any current attempt at cultural engagement, preservation, or transformation is an exercise in futility; there’s no culture left to preserve, no culture left to save, no culture left to transform. In Part 1 of this podcast, I lay out Llosa’s main arguments as strongly as I can. In Part 2, we’ll see if I can recover from his arguments…

Audio: Unbelievable? Os Guinness & Mary Warnock debate religious freedoms

Os Guinness is an author, cultural critic and Christian apologist. He co-founded the Trinity Forum which "seeks to transform society through the transformation of leaders". Former Oxford professor Baroness Mary Warnock is a moral philosopher and atheist. She is a cross bench peer in the House of Lords and an influential voice arguing for liberalisation of euthanasia laws. Her book "Dishonest to God" argues that religious and theological issues should have no place in issues of public morality, covering euthanasia, assisted suicide, and abortion.

At the time of recording Os Guinness was due to speak at the House of Lords on how Christian religious freedoms should be treated in a pluralistic society as set out in his new book "The Case for Civility". They discuss how we judge what is moral, euthanasia, gay adoption and more. The show was recorded in the robing chamber in the House of Lords.

Get the MP3 (Right-click to save this file)

Chaplain

Quote of the day:

“It is in our hearts that the evil lies, and it is from our hearts that it must be plucked Out.” (Bertrand Russell)

Today's blog is on Acts 26 (Paul’s Defense Before King Agrippa) verses 1-11. Paul speaks in his hearing before King Agrippa #1.

Samples from the study:

"Christians affirm that the heart of the gospel message transcends culture and language, just as surely as it was originally proclaimed within a particular culture and language. After all, the good news of the gospel is about “the Word made flesh“—the Son of God stepping into humanity. Missiologist Lesslie Newbigin explains the dialogical nature of the gospel as a product of culture and yet as a trans-cultural communication when he suggests: “Every statement of the gospel in words is conditioned by the culture of which those words are part, and every style of life that claims to embody the truth of the gospel is a culturally conditioned style of life. There can never be a culture-free gospel. Yet the gospel, which is from the beginning to the end embodied in culturally conditioned forms, calls into question all cultures, including the one in which it was originally embodied.” (RZIM)

"Most of the problems that people have today is with their concept of God. Most of the problems that people have with scriptures today is because of their concept of God. J.B. Phillips wrote a book, "Your God is Too Small," and that is true of many people. Their concept of God is too small; it's too limited. They have what they call the anthropomorphic concept of God. Man's concepts of God, man's idea of God or man creating God, and whenever a man creates a God, he creates Him too small." (Smith)

"Before his conversion, Paul believed he must persecute the followers of Jesus. Some imprisoned (shut up in prison), some he killed (they were put to death), and some he forced them to renounce Jesus (compelled them to blaspheme)." (Guzik)

Why was Paul so happy to talk to King Agrippa after spending two years in prison?
Paul’s early life as a faithful Jew and Pharisee.
Paul confronts Agrippa for his lack of faith in God.
Why do so many people have a problem trusting God in our day and age?
Paul explains that at one time he persecuted and murdered the followers of Jesus.
Was Paul ever married?

10/7/15 - Titus 3
10/7/15 - 2 Samuel 18:1-33
10/7/15 - Ecclesiastes 3-4
10/7/15 - Isaiah 49-50

Article: The war of the loves: A gay-rights activist (David Bennett) leaves his old life behind

David Bennett is a passionate apologist for the Christian faith. He studied last year at Wycliffe Hall, the University of Oxford and the Oxford Centre for Christian Apologetics. David wants to bring a fresh new voice to the issue of homosexuality and cutting through the current culture war we are seeing. He is committed to living out biblical sexuality and discipleship and wants to present a positive moral vision for what it means to worship God with your whole being, sexuality included. His other interests include apologetics, the ministry of the Holy Spirit, cooking, community, and he loves living in Oxford.

Article and video: Michael Ramsden on answering the homosexuality question

The homosexual question is a question of identity. When the homosexual community ask this question, they don’t hear “am I allowed to do?”, they hear “am I allowed to be?”. When the answer is”no”, they don’t hear “I am not allowed to do this”, what they hear is “what you believe is that I do not have the right to exist”. Can you understand why someone will feel very threatened when they hear “You are not allowed to be”?

There is a reason why pornography is made free on the Internet. Autopsy done on deceased homosexual men, and it was found that a lobe within their brains was very well-developed. Brain is like a muscle that can be trained and stimulated – brain will eventually crave that stimulated when it gets stopped exercised. Take less controversial area like pornography – people feel powerless and cannot stop themselves. Reason why pornography is made free is because if you can get people hooked on it at an early age with specific images and patterns they will not be able to break free easily. It take 9 years (!) for the brain to go back to normal. That means if you have people locked in a certain pattern of behavior, either (A) they are going to need the healing of the brain equivalent to that of a shriveled hand OR (B) they are going to be on a path of disciple for 9 years – you can’t do it alone this is why church is important, but also why it is catastrophic when church life has become so superficial, that people feel they can no longer share with The Church things they are wrestling with because they have to pretend they are better than they really are to be accepted. Evangelical Church is poor with discipleship and poor at communicating at people that “we are in the long haul with you on this”.

Article: Confirmation that Assisted Suicide Increases Other Suicides

"Many PAS advocates claim that this decision is a purely private exercise of personal autonomy, but Christakis's research suggests that behaviors like suicide, whether assisted or nonassisted, influence the behaviors of not only one's friends but also of one's friends' friends' friends. No man is an island. Finally, it is widely acknowledged in the tradition of Anglo-American jurisprudence that the law has a pedagogical function. Laws shape the ethos of a culture by affected cultural attitudes toward certain behaviors and influencing moral norms. In other words, the law is a teacher." (UC Irvine professor of psychiatry Aaron Kheriaty)

Audio/video - Amy Orr-Ewing - 'What do you want out of life?

Chaplain

Quote of the day:

"The purpose of prayer and of God’s call in your life is not to make you number one in the world’s eyes, but to make him number one in your life. We must be willing to be outshone while shining for God. We hear very little about being smaller in our own self-estimate.” (Zacharias)

Today's blog is on Acts 26 (Paul’s Defense Before King Agrippa) verses 12-23. Paul speaks in his hearing before King Agrippa #2.

Samples from the study:

"Truly communicating the gospel, however, means it will also call into question the way of understanding that is inherent in one’s own cultural language. Saul truly believed his actions against the Christians were in keeping with the God-ordained desire to preserve and protect Jewish identity and purity of belief. Yet, the voice from heaven revealed that this devotion of Saul was a form of persecution against the very God he claimed to serve." (Shull)

"When you find your definitions in God, you find the very purpose for which you were created. Put your hand into God's hand, know His absolutes, demonstrate His love, present His truth, and the message of redemption and transformation will take hold." (Zacharias)

'There are two kingdoms in the world to date, two spheres of government: the government of God, and the government of Satan. They are mutually exclusive and antagonistic. Every man exists in one of these two kingdoms. You tonight are living in the kingdom of light or the kingdom of darkness. You're living under the control of Satan or under the control of God. There are only two governing spheres of the universe. In the beginning there was just one, the kingdom of God. All things in obedience and in subjection unto him; God created angelic beings. One special being known as Lucifer, the anointed cherub, rebelled against the authority of God and formed a second government, the government of death and darkness. Ultimately, Satan's kingdom is going to come down. In fact, it is close to the end of Satan's reign now." (Smith)

"The message of repentance is not a popular message because it says, People who think they've got it together — don't. People who think they're OK — aren't. People who think they'll make it to heaven on their own — won't." (Courson)

Jesus reveals Himself to Paul on the road to Damascus.
What are the challenges for gospel communication in culture?
Jesus commissions Paul on the road to Damascus.
Why does Jesus say that gospel unblinds the eyes of both Jews and Gentiles?
What does it mean to be sanctified in Christ?
Paul calls King Agrippa to repent and turn to God.
What does it meant to repent Biblically?
Paul summarizes his defense #1: The reason the Jews wanted him dead.
Paul summarizes his defense #2: God's help through non-supernatural circumstances.
Paul summarizes his defense #3: The Gospel is taken from the Old Testament.

Audio: The Voice of the Martyrs - Central Asia: Zero Percent Chance

The people of Central Asia are caught between their Islamic culture and the authoritarian remnants of 70 years of communist domination. Statistically, many of the region’s people have a zero-percent probability of meeting a follower of Christ or hearing the gospel message of Jesus’ love. “Brother Harold” has served more than a decade building relationships and planting gospel seeds among Muslim people in Central Asia. He’ll share about the persecution Central Asian Christians face, some of his challenges and God’s victories during 15 years of ministry, and thoughts on how Christians in the United States can minister to Muslims right where we live.

10/08/15 - Diversity Enchances Unity (Ephesians 4:7)
10/11/15 - Exclusively Inclusive (Proverbs 16:25)
10/11/15 - Your Origins Matter
10/11/15 - Luke 17:1-37
10/11/15 - Genesis 23-24

Article: Meet the Christian nurse who faced the firing squad 100 years ago today

Her crime: ‘conducting soldiers to the enemy’ - soldiers who could then continue to fight against the German army. Her Christian faith, which had sustained her throughout her life, equipped her to face the firing squad with confidence that for followers of Jesus, death is not the end.

Audio: Unbelievable? - Alister McGrath & Jim Al-Khalili discuss "Who invented the universe?" (10/10/15)

"Oxford Scientist and Theologian Alister McGrath's new book 'Inventing The Universe' weaves his own story of conversion from atheism to Christianity while studying science as a student, into the questions that modern science continues to provoke around God, atheism and meaning.

Physicist and radio presenter Jim Al-Khalili is the president of the British Humanist Association. He is currently Professor of Theoretical Physics and Chair in the Public Engagement in Science at the University of Surrey. Jim interacts with Alister on whether science excludes God, whether theism makes most sense of the nature of our universe and what it would take for him to abandon his atheism and believe."

For Inventing the Universe: https://www.hodder.co.uk/books/detail.page?isbn=9781444798470

For Alister McGrath: http://alistermcgrath.weebly.com/

New apologetic lectures (right click/save as):

Michael Ramsden - Truth & Love (2 John 1-6)
Michael Ramsden - Is the Christian faith inherently arrogant? (Luke 18:9-14)
Michael Ramsden - Engaging with the Post-Modern Generation
Michael Ramsden - Apologetics and Preaching

Chaplain

Quote of the day:

“Some writers may toy with the fancy of a ‘Christ-myth,’ but they do not do so on the ground of historical evidence. The historicity of Christ is as axiomatic for an unbiased historian as the historicity of Julius Caesar.” (Biblical scholar F.F. Bruce)

Today's blog is on Acts 26 (Paul’s Defense Before King Agrippa) verses 24-26. Festus and Agrippa response to Paul about his testimony and the message of the gospel #1.

Samples from the study:

"There will be those who look at you and say the same thing. `It's not that simple,' they'll say. `Jesus can't change a person — without therapy, seminars, and counseling.' Let the scoffers say what they may. But let us stand by what Paul declared to be the heavenly vision: That God is capable and desirous to change men, to take them out of the power of Satan, and to place them into His glorious, gracious Kingdom." (Courson)

"Consider the empirical test of the person, teaching, and work of Jesus Christ. A look at human history shows why he was who he claimed to be and why millions follow him today. A comparison of Jesus’s teachings with any other claimant to divine or prophetic status quickly shows the profound differences in their claims and demonstrations. In fact, none except Jesus even claimed to be the divine Savior. His offer of grace and forgiveness by being the perfect sacrifice of our offense is profoundly unique. I position the sequence of fact and deduction in the following way: Love is the supreme ethic. Where there is the possibility of love, there must be the reality of free will. Where there is the reality of free will, there will inevitably be the possibility of sin. Where there is sin, there is the need for a Savior. Where there is a Savior, there is the hope for redemption. Only in the Judeo-Christian worldview does this sequence find its total expression and answer. The story from sin to redemption is only in the gospel with the ultimate provision of a loving God." (Zacharias)

"Jesus lived an exemplary life. He made claims of himself that remain extraordinary and startling, though reasonable and profound. We need only to read some of the autobiographies of great men and women who have gone before us to see that they were subject to the same moral frailties distinctive to you and me. Yet nothing of the sort is said about Jesus, a fact that pierces heart, mind, and conscience. Of this, historian and skeptic William Lecky writes: “[Jesus] has exercised so deep an influence that it may be truly said that the simple record of three short years of active life has done more to regenerate and soften mankind than all the disquisitions of philosophers and all the exhortations of moralists. This has indeed been the wellspring of whatever is best and purest in the Christian life.” We cannot but come to the conclusion that Jesus was far from typical. On the contrary, the more we investigate, the more it seems he is exceptionally due our greatest praise." (Jeyachandran)

Why did Festus assert that Paul was mentally insane?
Paul uses truth and reason to respond to Festus.
Paul responds with the historicity of the gospel.
Twelve arguments for the historicity of the resurrection.

Audio: Amir Tsarfati: The Days Of Ezekiel - Middle East Prophecy Update (9/24/2015)

10/11/15 - Current Events
10/11/15 - Revelation 21:9-17
10/11/15 - Heeding God's Promptings (Ac 3:1-11)
10/11/15 - The Broken Heart of God (Amos 5:1-15)
10/11/15 - Amos 5-6

Article: Sydney Anglican Archbishop Glenn Davies' call to arms over same-sex marriage

"The antagonism of the world to the word of God is perhaps seen nowhere more acutely than in the virulent challenge to the definition of marriage which pervades conversations in the media, the workplace and even in our places of leisure," he has told the annual meeting of church leaders in Sydney. "There simply is no 'marriage equality' for everyone," Dr Davies said. "Marriage necessarily has boundaries that even the adherents of the facile rhetoric of 'marriage equality' cannot deny." He cited children, siblings and those already betrothed as examples of existing restrictions placed on marriage.

Article: The Historicity of the Empty Tomb of Jesus (William Lane Craig)

An examination of both Pauline and gospel material leads to eight lines of evidence in support of the conclusion that Jesus's tomb was discovered empty: (1) Paul's testimony implies the historicity of the empty tomb, (2) the presence of the empty tomb pericope in the pre-Markan passion story supports its historicity, (3) the use of 'on the first day of the week' instead of 'on the third day' points to the primitiveness of the tradition, (4) the narrative is theologically unadorned and non-apologetic, (5) the discovery of the tomb by women is highly probable, (6) the investigation of the empty tomb by the disciples is historically probable, (7) it would have been impossible for the disciples to proclaim the resurrection in Jerusalem had the tomb not been empty, (8) the Jewish polemic presupposes the empty tomb.

Article: The Historicity of the New Testament (JP Moreland)

One of the central claims of Christianity is that Jesus of Nazareth was the incarnate Son of God who died on the cross to atone for the sins of humanity and rose bodily from the dead. Our acceptance of these claims depends on whether or not the New Testament documents are reliable historical sources about Jesus. It is the purpose of this chapter to argue that it is reasonable to accept the substantial historicity of the New Testament.

Article/Audio: Contemporary Scholarship and the Resurrection of Jesus (William Lane Craig)

After an appraisal of recent scholarship on the historicity of the resurrection of Jesus Christ, Professor William Craig contends that, “The resurrection appearances, the empty tomb, and the origin of the Christian faith – all point unavoidably to one conclusion: the resurrection of Jesus”.

Article: Archaeology and the Historical Reliability of the New Testament (Peter S. Williams)

"The excessive skepticism shown toward the Bible by important historical schools of the eighteenth-and-nineteenth centuries, certain phases of which still appear periodically, has been progressively discredited. Discovery after discovery has established the accuracy of innumerable details, and has brought increased recognition to the value of the Bible as a source of history. (Archaeologist William F. Albright)

Chaplain

Quote of the day:

"Truth by definition is exclusive. Everything cannot be true. If everything is true, then nothing is false. And if nothing is false then it would also be true to say everything is false. We cannot have it both ways. One should not be surprised at the claims of exclusivity. The reality is that even those who deny truth’s exclusivity, in effect, exclude those who do not deny it. The truth quickly emerges. The law of non-contradiction does apply to reality: Two contradictory statements cannot both be true in the same sense. Thus, to deny the law of non-contradiction is to affirm it at the same time. You may as well talk about a one-ended stick as talk about truth being all-inclusive. Christ is either the immeasurable God or one dreadfully lost. Apply the tests of truth to the person and the message of Jesus Christ. You see not only his exclusivity, but also his uniqueness." (Zacharias)

Today's blog is on Acts 26 (Paul’s Defense Before King Agrippa) verses 27-32. Festus and Agrippa response to Paul about his testimony and the message of the gospel #2.

Samples from the study:

“To grow better at persuasion you’ll also need to delve deeper into the areas of scripture, apologetics, philosophy and critical thinking. Get an understanding of what a logical fallacy is and learn to be able to recognize a few (Straw person, personal attack, genetic fallacy). Jesus was a great persuader and he was excellent at appealing to the common sense of the people he met. When we try this approach it is inevitable that some people will take more persuading than others and we can sometimes misread situations. I’ve done that a few times and it is good to know that God is bigger than the mistakes that I have made." (Price)

"No human persuasion, no lofty speculation ever accomplishes the work of conversion. This is God’s work alone accomplished by the Holy Spirit, and those who bear witness in multiple cultural contexts can depend on the work of the Spirit to accomplish what God desires. “n the mysterious providence of God, a word spoken comes with the kind of power of the word that was spoken to Saul on the road to Damascus…it causes the hearer to stop, turn around, and go in a new direction, to accept Jesus as Lord, Guide, and Savior.” (Shull)

"The problem with Christianity is not that it has been tried and found wanting, but that it has been found difficult and left untried." (G.K. Chesterton)

Paul asks Agrippa to make a decision about Jesus.
Agrippa is almost persuaded to become a Christian.
Why Agrippa reject Jesus and the call God had for him?
Agrippa admits Paul’s innocence, yet forwards him to Caesar.
Why did Paul appeal to Caesar?

Video: The Rising Tide - Europe Refugee Crisis

You've probably seen footage on the news of refugees arriving in Greece by boat, but you've probably not seen anything like this. You've heard opinions about who they are or what they want, but you can see it firsthand in this video. These are the ones lying destitute on the road, and we must be the Good Samaritan. As team leader Dan Stephens shares, "We are the first faces they see when they land. Most of them have probably never met a Christian." It's our calling to show them the love of our Savior, and that is what many of you have helped us to do by your generous gifts.

Article: ISIS Is Threatening to Execute 180 Assyrian Christians

The famously brutal terrorist group, ISIS, claims it will execute 180 Assyrian Christians who they kidnapped in February. The group demanded the Assyrian community pay $12 million for the release of the captured Christians, but Assyrian leadership says the amount is “unbearable.” The Christian Post cited Osama Edward, director of the Assyrian Human Rights Network, as saying, "The negotiations ... have been suspended due to the unbearable demands of the terror group. ISIS threatened to execute the 180 hostages if we didn't pay the ransom." The kidnapped Assyrians are part of a group of 230 ISIS captured back in February from the Khabur river valley in Syria.

Article: Refuting 5 False Theories About Jesus

Who was Jesus really? For the past few weeks I’ve been discussing this question with my high school theology class. Although most of my students have been brought up in the church, I know they’re going to face challenges to their faith when they go off to college. Many will hear jarring claims from classmates and professors about the “real” Jesus—claims contradictory to the church’s confession of Jesus as the risen Son of God. So I want my students to be prepared. I want them to know these claims have been around for a long time, as have Christian responses. Despite what many critical scholars claim, there is no contradiction between the “Jesus of history” and the “Christ of faith.” In fact, studying Jesus as a historical figure can often strengthen faith. But that requires honestly engaging the critics and evaluating their claims. Here I will briefly examine five popular alternative theories about Jesus, concluding with some general guidelines for how Christians can respond to them.

Article: Jesus and the Professional Theologians

Studying theology is dangerous because, from what we can see in the Bible, experts in theology are more apt than others to form little smug societies for the enhancement of mutual honor. Earlier in John’s gospel, Jesus identified the reason for the Jews’ unbelief: “How can you believe, when you receive glory from one another, and you do not seek the glory that is from the one and only God?” (5:44). The Pharisees read and footnote each other’s books and journal articles, confer honorary degrees on one another, devote themselves to a single-minded pursuit of tenure so they can receive glory from other tenured theologians. They impose a brutal knowledge regime on their colleagues, ignoring dissenters when they can and excising them when they can’t. When they run out of arguments, they turn to insults and finally take away the union card.

Video: Give Me an Answer - #2514 - Texas State University - A Biblical World View

Stream: University of Pittsburgh Open Forum: Live Stream (10/15/2015)

What does it mean to be human? Ravi Zacharias and Vince Vitale address this question at the University of Pittsburgh Thursday, October 15, 2015 from 7:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. EDT. There will be a Q&A following the open forum.

Live Stream Youtube Link

Haden

Banned
Just out of interest what are peoples Church's like that they go to?

Mine is a CofE church in England, very traditional with a 1 hour service that includes 19th century hymns and breaking of bread.

Myself and my fiancee enjoy it, most of the congregation are older than us although there are some young couples and it has quite a healthy membership (around 70 I would estimate).

ST_JAMES_CHURCH_INSIDE_RTAL_ADJ610.jpg

Anyone else like to share?

Mine is a small Lutheran church independent from the Finnish state church. Don't have a church building, just a hall in a small scale industrial building we are allowed to use every Sunday. Other than that, it's more high church stuff I suppose, liturgy is important, we sing hymns and have communion and so on.

Hi Group. First time here. Just saw War Room. Reanalyzing a bunch of stuff in life. Powerful movie.

Hi there Bandit! Haven't seen that movie myself, but it's not a surprise, I usually just watch science fiction. :)

Mine is a small Lutheran church independent from the Finnish state church. Don't have a church building, just a hall in a small scale industrial building we are allowed to use every Sunday. Other than that, it's more high church stuff I suppose, liturgy is important, we sing hymns and have communion and so on.

Hi there Bandit! Haven't seen that movie myself, but it's not a surprise, I usually just watch science fiction. :)

Sci-fi is usually my go-to, but I'm a big fan of The Kendrick Brothers. They're the writer/director team that made this movie along with Courageous, Fireproof, and Facing Giants. It's refreshing to take a break from mainstream entertainment to see something more grounded in the morals and beliefs that I grew up with. The movie centers around a troubled couple - specifically the wife - who decides that in order to save her marriage, she needs to learn to submit to God for the heavy lifting. She creates a prayer closet, and begins to reorganize her life as it begins to take new purpose.

It's a powerful movie that had me rethinking a lot about my own life and how much i attempt to control things without relying on Good. Obviously, as the movie attests, that's a losing battle. Thus the title.

Great stuff.

One of the things it really to me considering is my role as a head of family and my responsibility to lead as a spiritual example for my daughter and wife. A lot of people grow up with the wife/mom/woman as the church-going center of the family advocating for God and sunday school. However, this movie makes is so clear how important a father's role is, especially on a young daughter. I mean really deeply moving stuff.

Sci-fi is usually my go-to, but I'm a big fan of The Kendrick Brothers. They're the writer/director team that made this movie along with Courageous, Fireproof, and Facing Giants. It's refreshing to take a break from mainstream entertainment to see something more grounded in the morals and beliefs that I grew up with. The movie centers around a troubled couple - specifically the wife - who decides that in order to save her marriage, she needs to learn to submit to God for the heavy lifting. She creates a prayer closet, and begins to reorganize her life as it begins to take new purpose.

It's a powerful movie that had me rethinking a lot about my own life and how much i attempt to control things without relying on Good. Obviously, as the movie attests, that's a losing battle. Thus the title.

Great stuff.

One of the things it really to me considering is my role as a head of family and my responsibility to lead as a spiritual example for my daughter and wife. A lot of people grow up with the wife/mom/woman as the church-going center of the family advocating for God and sunday school. However, this movie makes is so clear how important a father's role is, especially on a young daughter. I mean really deeply moving stuff.

I think my friend has or had a Fireproof DVD at some point. He said it was okay, but I never got to watching it myself.

Chaplain

Quote of the day:

“Worship is the submission of all of our nature to God. It is the quickening of the conscience by his holiness; the nourishment of mind with his truth; the purifying of imagination by his beauty; the opening of the heart to his love; the surrender of will to his purpose—all this gathered up in adoration, the most selfless emotion of which our nature is capable.” (William Temple)

Two new blog posts on Acts 27 (Shipwreck On the Way to Rome) verses 1-12 & 13-20.

1-12 - Paul travels from Caesarea to Fair Havens
13-20 - The stormy journey from Fair Havens to Malta. #1

Samples from the study:

"So Julius is another Roman centurion we're introduced to, and interestingly enough, in the scriptures we're introduced to several centurions, and all of them were very commendable men. There was a centurion who came to Jesus for the healing of his servant. And Jesus said, "I will come to your house." And he says, "Oh no, Lord. I understand what authority is about because I'm under authority and I have under me men. And I can say to this one, go and he goes and I can say come and he comes. I understand what authority is about, and I'm not worthy that you should come to my house, but you just speak the word and my servant will be healed. I understand authority and I understand your authority. You just speak the word." And Jesus said, " I haven't found this much faith in all of Israel" (Matthew 8:7-10). The centurion at the cross, at the death of Jesus said, "Truly this was the Son of God" (Matthew 27:54). Cornelius, a Roman centurion, was the first Gentile converted in the church. And it was upon his household that the Holy Spirit was poured forth. Now, Julius is a very commendable man. He takes an interest and a liking to Paul, and he shows Paul special favors, and he actually spares Paul's life on this journey." (Smith)

(Courson) Please note four reasons that make this a perfect example of how not to know God's will as you sail through life and journey towards heaven:

1, The sailors were impatient. Although it was not the season for sailing, these guys wanted to get on with their journey. The Word says, `He that believeth in the Lord must not make haste,' (Isaiah 28:16). Are you impatient? Slow down. When you don't know what to do — don't do anything. When you're not sure which way to go, stay where you are. Wait on the Lord. It's so hard to do, but oh, so imperative.

2.The sailors took a vote. The centurion said, `OK Paul, I hear what you're saying, but I also hear the owner, the captain, and the crew,' and Paul was outvoted. God is not an American, folks, and if we make decisions relating to the Kingdom on a democratic basis, we're in a heap of trouble. Ask Moses. If the Israelites had voted during their journey through the wilderness, he would have been ousted the first week. We need to know what the heart of God is — not what the majority says.

3. The sailors tested the winds. `The answer is blowing in the wind,' may be true for Bob Dylan, but it's not true for you and me as believers. We're not to say, `Whichever way the wind is blowing whichever way the circumstances are pointing — will determine my course.' No, there needs to be a solid inner conviction, a Holy Spirit direction.

4. The sailors were seeking ease. They wanted to get to Phoenix. Why? Phoenix was where all of the sailors wintered. There were lots of restaurants, movie theatres, golf courses. No doubt these guys thought, `Why should we stay here? We're only 68 miles from Phoenix. That's the place to be — we can even pick up a Suns game.' Sometimes we, like these sailors, ask, `Where is it most comfortable? Where is it easiest?' instead of `What does the Lord know will be best for me?'

Paul and his companions leave Caesarea.
Why does the Bible speak favorably of roman centurions (Matthew 8, Luke 7, Acts 10)?
Paul’s warns the captain and crew of the ship of impending doom.
The decision is made ignore Paul's earning and to sail on.
A good start is made from Crete, but the ship quickly encounters great difficulty in a storm.
Is there a way to know God's will as we go through trials?
Measures are taken to save the ship.
The crew (veteran seamen) and passengers are filled with hopelessness.

Article: When Christians Use ‘Liberty’ as a License for the Flesh

Article: Ohio church’s $1,000 tip saves pizza delivery woman from eviction

Video: Imago Dei: The Image of God

"According to the Bible, human beings are special: every man and woman is made in the image of God and therefore has infinite value. The importance of this teaching cannot be over-emphasized, since it lies behind and energizes the values that most of us hold to be inviolable — in particular, our Western concepts of the value of each individual human life, of human rights, and of gender equality. The eminent European lawyer Dr Ernst-Wolfgang Bockenforde was underlining this fact, when he made the following observation that has received a great deal of discussion: 'The secular state lives from normative assumptions that it cannot itself guarantee." It is for this reason that atheist intellectual Jurgen Habermas calls for secular society not to cut itself off from important resources by failing to retain a sense of the power of articulation of religious language: "Philosophy has reasons to remain open to learn from religious tradition." Habermas makes it clear that the biblical idea of human beings as created in the image of God belongs to the genealogy of human rights. History confirms this view. In his detailed discussion, historian Arnold Angenendt points out, for instance, that the early church fathers condemned slavery on the basis that no one made in the image of God should be bought with money. In the Middle Ages, Burchard von Worms said that anyone who killed a Jew or heathen person had blotted out both an image of God and the hope of future salvation. In the seventeenth century, John Milton said that "all men are free born because they are in the image of God"." (Oxford professor John Lennox)

Here are some pictures from my church:

The gym:

G71aXWwdUwn9FWCZIEueVm01D9UeV_qqYURICQwpgWm6ILA-9aO-oZWvY5fIfuiuJrKT_N9FyVPzuY48dToLrzqLeCr6Aj2GDYebI7jpDRMbYvR07yw0GLbW-N0vBJrXDjxvMuNSMPmUvHnBGfAjWXsdwy5P2k7NLUtkzUt1BeqSkiYoV1WEyIxdk7wvRzApGePefmjemDauuXQHNaOBDLqrgP2AzOadSftkOFV73i-zRh5Z80YWRBZcHFm7_BcnaFKZA7P7HrTir3e0AVTFBAnt3_Oc0JaI2yT1sJHcbtgWbJSWdPah82iCVjgBx8nf5038wD1rU-j1iD2FglJ7AqIPyxyPD7lO-ejPC0l-hNQDw1jFdMIBgaLyUNymWtIqCy-KqKnwI4NKbure9CbsNaZYBJt4Wodqpvj8_m-OetL68ZFwxmk-GhMkFAhG1ZJyg35R9V1wqrQgYFME7rQ-U8T0Yp47hYFKwV6yi9aMLtE0gCaihySkUuK52nvXrDQhYn5KAdwG2v9MSBn613DfaRzymfUWvxPGuJ-cP-c8dos=w1244-h700-no

Main auditorium:

1B7xUrMV3KEaOFdY7fjfTAHrjljRlNYC_Ej0dr8pr0TawXJyw8ACpu8Cn3J-dkG6HYa--UC4d3srZkYJMi552gEtUoO_vc3V5Glid59VkpjhviZuzaQfdniJYJ16Y_0PHlqg6Tc0oIzegytVQI_HWg5pYt88N0M0ApgEtNm5tkBpbw9uSJf8qghGpIbIu3mTE-cVTquraqTGDvh976Q9dGHM_uBKN-jJR-14De8a-0eQwID5J_oSQpFfYD1M4qAeJCT5ou6YuqaXKjsRCZVdGfG8yVDh01fgzjj7esWpl9FxImXDAIjbVgMmns4hZWRQuIfeeexHg6toTFdMXOJgTZs5ZutC6aSMit8eSC19VZ6pIXrTdXIGiTRJg7psuuvQZ8t5G5R-P7-gNg8IM6tlgxfmRW_EUWraWRIbF-rJYgvok9dNrQaZVgmMvs0hX9werXl0U-q7D84FS2havzMlehiO-znLxI5DEaBArFCGdWwE8JBzCsIsyibO-AM5hKjVhdml38fEQ9CatvH2J_p18GGEBlWZr21gR15qkdIjVeg=w1244-h700-no

khh5XC4EljEelrDCen4ium-2AZKwkoDgiI5EI9rj6_2RVwRnfsW1mz5Q88Xz2bcHya21sd57Pupi-KiRGQshxF-4qMTDoVVVhfUvdjWWkIzlFQWJgI5awUUjvRlWePD1lHjTjFCuqAUyJ3yxsUlZ4EcJ47hZFvwHZWR8Wt21hpHhrRFkvN5uNRWYS-TNn5hMoov8SPdSe6qGlbUwpdJo2uNcmUu8XZxLrzL-I1heIw05aUb8178dvWUSCRffVjVKybLG3RgFwTrUAGI1WeAoQKcxh5pOrKpT-esSafblQiu47tFS5HMfm36rqATJYY9AYZgt0bx7V6RO59Hjpq_cLFc4mnyA47kpnrkw7RnNNqd36QhYkut7-3C36PLmQxp6zRlYCf_dqUYeFubeB1PnS-nynq4tL_3FjZ_e5K3HTjxcJ9JBMWlFboBwBX5hMrjY0LHvwN3f--0f3KhFgJwjhtqFpNbj7LJVN976UUJvAIN5NOfDuU_5I8QyJua2MWunsszJ5reNLVlhm85b77xPJzhyyYanJ2xY0mbwdmggofw=w1244-h700-no

1lZdZs3Ve1fr7y4MG0sJdOgchElxcRVA6xIlr01eku5rT_mblZewegjVVqUfXOjhgyZKZRocrlApuBBn3iDsXXowP3b4bRJM_PZ5xFTEytdZf9zEjybm4FrwvTmR57GxsVaL_fPSWLSu47eY_nFaQ0ZYnRA-LM-X7po3UTRWoSd4BpkQYekyTHyED3lrxtEb2USRtO9TiFemkTi7UhPTVuXnNF0csGgq9k3-Lxhuzn-clas4BlEwglAbnKxNIItjCMJDsT9F-DvpRXXOm-J_w2js9juxQNUhIsrHc8b2xjLNw-52KwOjlhSgrWibQfD8SLTtiDspam1fC2Gw__PKbxHsyl0J8kTPG5d9NfieFsnmlTv-ElPU-_I8yrE-DgInQTA81YMV1WWwCWLF_7yEXzaupqKjwLh7nxfy82puAUFN8hmzS5B7Im_rOQqkzxQGQr-21I4tuUPhMeiBCByqKVc8oQQUy3CgT53f5HfAe_aCZKNSS_h0Kpx-xdK0trOzSqUVyXGeUWfS_mm7FdMlTq4YtkB6l2uw7Oqe5qrml_k=w1244-h700-no

We have services on Sunday (3 morning services, and one evening service), Tuesday (Men and Women Bible studies), Wednesday (6am bible study), Thursday (evening Bible study), and once a month a bible study for married couples on Saturday. Probably around 1000 people or more attend.

Two quotes of the day:

Today's blog is on Acts 9 (The Conversion of Saul of Tarsus) verses 7-16: God ministers to Saul through Ananias.

A summary of the study:

Video: Michael Ramsden - God of Love: Church of Arrogance?

New sermons (right click/save as)"

7/1/15 - Psalms 135-138
7/1/15 - Isaiah 21-24
7/1/15 - 2 Samuel 11:1-27
7/1/15 - Matthew 5:1-6:13

Personally, I would look for a church with no denominational ties. Seek the Lord on where He wants you to go, and start looking. Once you find places that you believe God is pointing you to, find out what their statement of faith is and listen to some of their sermons. This will give you a good idea if what they say is Biblical or not. I would want you to find a church where the gospel is its main priority, that equips the saints to grow to reach the lost, and its foundation is built on the teachings of the Bible.

I think the following book will help you out and point you in the direction God wants you to go in.

This Little Church Went to Market (click to read online)

Let me know if you have any other questions.

You are right. I think its extremely important to know the history of the Catholic Church. Here is just one example of the heretical side of this church:

Agreed.

I shared this before in this thread, but I can't stress enough how spot-on this article is on how to share our faith with those God places in our lives.

One of the things that I have been noticing is the increasing the attacks on anyone who believes in absolute morality. This is nothing new though. What do I mean? Herbert Butterfield (Regius Professor of History and Vice-Chancellor of the University of Cambridge) wrote an amazing analyses in 1949 on human nature in the aftermath of World War 2. I highly recommend reading this, because the parallels are just uncanny with modern society.

John Lennox discusses this in further detail in his book on "Against the Flow - The Inspiration of Daniel in an Age of Relativism." His commentary on Daniel is one of the best I have ever read. But the most interest part are the parallels between the time Daniel was living in and what is going on in Europe and the United States right now.

Preaching on Ananias today! Thank you for the great blog entry on this Biblical passage!

Silentium

Mine is a CofE church in England, very traditional with a 1 hour service that includes 19th century hymns and breaking of bread.

Myself and my fiancee enjoy it, most of the congregation are older than us although there are some young couples and it has quite a healthy membership (around 70 I would estimate).

http://www.allaboutweybridge.co.uk/aaw/ST_JAMES_CHURCH_INSIDE_RTAL_ADJ610.jpg

My Presbyterian church in Melbourne (Australia). I've been out of state for university and work for several years though, so it'll be good to get back more regularly from next year.
WDrlUIF.jpg

(Churches seem to love HDR photos don't they?)

EDIT: Also wanted to say that while I mostly lurk, I really appreciate the daily posts Game Analyst.

Chaplain

Quote of the day:

"The Bible teaches three doctrines we must believe to be saved. Those are precisely the three doctrines Islam denies about Jesus." (Nabeel Qureshi)

A new blog post has been posted on Acts 27 (Shipwreck On the Way to Rome) verses 21-26. The stormy journey from Fair Havens to Malta. #2

Samples from the study:

"Paul sets our earthbound lives beside the eternal purpose that can inform all we are and do. Becoming a people of hope means cultivating an eternal perspective, the ability to see God in the midst of trials, to persevere in the face of despair and pressure. The point is not to undervalue life in this world, but to set it all in context. Afflictions must be weighed in the light of eternity. Our hopes and expectations are anchored in a greater and ultimate reality that is both certain and transforming. Afflictions do not become less real, nor are they unimportant or less painful, but they are limited in their reach and possibilities by the knowledge that they, too, shall pass." (McAllister)

"Maybe the reason we question God’s moral character when bad things happen is that we live our lives largely independent from God on a daily basis. In other words, we struggle to trust God in times of trouble because we do not really trust God when things are going well. Maybe we struggle with suffering so much in the West because we are so comfortable most of the time that we feel we don’t need God. We do not rely on God on a daily basis, and so we do not really know God. When suffering comes along, therefore, it is not so much that it takes us away from God, but that it reveals to us that we have not really been close to God in the first place." (Ramsden)

'Paul believed God when there was nothing else to believe. He couldn’t believe the sailors, the ship, the sails, the wind, the centurion, human ingenuity or anything else - only God. This was not a fair-weather faith; he believed God in the midst of the storm, when circumstances were at their worst. Paul would say along with Job: Though He slay me, yet will I trust Him (Job 13:15). The storm and the danger were real, but God was more real to Paul than the dreadful circumstances.' (Guzik)

“One of the surprises awaiting those who start the study of angelology is that angels are beginning to make tentative inroads into serious philosophical enquiry once again." (Dr. Andrew R. Angel)

Paul tells the crew to take heart.
What is the biblical meaning of hope?
How is it possible to believe in God and Pain?
Paul tells the crew of an angelic visit while on the ship.
What does the world of academia say about the existence of angels?
Why did Jesus appear to Paul again?
God answers Paul's prayer about the safety of the crew.
Paul points the crew to God for their own encouragement.
What is the difference between believing God and believing in God?

10/13/15 - Genesis 27 (men's study)
10/13/15 - Intro: Lord, Teach Us to Pray (Selected Scripture) (Women's study)
10/14/15 - Philemon
10/14/15 - Proverbs 16:25-17:7
10/14/15 - Isaiah 51-53
10/14/15 - 2 Samuel 19:1-43
10/15/15 - Israel Rejects the Gospel (Romans 10:11-21)

Audio: Unbelievable? Revisiting the resurrection - Ed Atkinson vs Tony Costa (10/17/2015)

Ex-Christian Ed Atkinson has been investigating the evidence for the resurrection of Jesus following the "Summer of Scripture" debate between James Crossley and Gary Habermas.

He revisits the "minimal facts" argument for the resurrection and debates with Canadian apologist Tony Costa on whether the evidence for the empty tomb is better explained by hallucination or urban myth.

For the original Habermas/Crossley debate: http://www.premierchristianradio.co...the-resurrection-Gary-Habermas-James-Crossley

For Tony Costa: http://www.freewebs.com/tonycosta

For Ed Atkinson's Unbelievable? discussion group : http://www.meetup.com/Unbelievable-Christian-and-Skeptic-Discussion-Group-London/

Also wanted to say that while I mostly lurk, I really appreciate the daily posts Game Analyst.

Ty.

Chaplain

Quote of the day:

"The night before his death, as Jesus wrestled with what He knew the next day would bring, Jesus said to his friends, “My soul is overwhelmed with sorrow, to the point of death” (Matthew 26:38). Think about it. The God of the Universe, the Creator of all things, saying He is overwhelmed with sorrow, even to death….If you’ve ever experienced deep depression or thought about dying, Jesus is right there with you. There is no depth of agony and helplessness we can experience in this life that He doesn’t understand. At the Cross, we see the absolute uniqueness of the Christian response to suffering. In Islam, the idea of God suffering is nonsense—it is thought to make God weak. In Buddhism, to reach divinity is precisely to move beyond the possibility of suffering. Only in Christ do we have a God who is loving enough to suffer with us." (Vitale)

A new blog post has been posted on Acts 27 (Shipwreck On the Way to Rome) verses 27-44. The stormy journey from Fair Havens to Malta. #3.

Samples from the study:

"Perhaps the best word we can use to translate the Greek word “pistis” (usually translated faith) is the word “trust” or “trustworthy.” Suppose you tell a friend that you have faith in her. What does that mean? It means two things. First, you are sure the person you are talking to actually exists. And second, you are convinced she is trustworthy; you can believe what she says and trust in her character. It is in this way that the writer of Hebrews talks about faith in God. Faith is knowing that God is real and that you can trust in God’s promises. You cannot trust someone who isn’t there, nor can you rely on someone whose promises are not reliable. This is why faith is talked about as the substance of things hoped for and as the evidence of things not seen. Both words carry with them a sense of reality." (Ramsden)

"Even in times of deepest sorrow, there is a joy that rises up within the heart to praise even with tears. Giving thanks can fill a heart full of gladness, which overflows and spills out into acts of kindness and generosity for others. When we are grateful, we cannot help but share our gratitude. And this sharing is the will of God for our lives. As the author of the letter to the Hebrews sums up: “Through God then, let us continually offer up a sacrifice of praise to God that is the fruit of lips that give thanks to his name. And do not neglect doing good and sharing; for with such sacrifices God is pleased.” (Shull)

"Faith is not a pill we take, folks. It's a muscle we work. Therefore, the Lord will send me into a storm from time to time not for correction, but for perfection because the way I react to storms internally will tell me where I'm at spiritually. Storms provide unique opportunity for me to see where I'm at, and to grow in my understanding that the Lord will come through at the right time, saying, `Be of good cheer. We're going to make it.'" (Courson)

Some sailors seek to escape from the ship.
Lessons to learn from Paul's warning about not getting out of the storm (trial).
Why did the passengers trust Paul's word?
What is the meaning of biblical faith?
Paul shares communion with the passengers.
The ship runs aground and breaks apart.
Leaving the ship and coming safely to shore.
What are the four reasons why God allows storms in our lives?

10/18/15 - Protection From The Wrath (Revelation 7:1-8)
10/18/15 - Philemon
10/18/15 - Important Exhortations

Article: Baptist Union gets behind Church of England on refugee crisis

Video/article: Salvation Army sells people on Oxford Street to highlight increase in modern slavery

Article: God's Love In The Battle With Cancer

Audio: Voice of the Martyrs - Sri Lanka: Part of God’s Plan

Those who come to Christ in Sri Lanka—especially in rural areas—face challenges and trials from Buddhist or Hindu family members or village leaders. Sometimes the challenges are extreme: church buildings torn down, Christians beaten and even martyred for their faith. Yet God is at work: even with persecution the church in Sri Lanka is growing. Rev. Godfrey Yogarajah, the leader of the National Christian Evangelical Alliance of Sri Lanka, is in a unique position to tell us about both the exciting growth in the Sri Lankan church and the persecution that our brothers and sisters there are facing, and how they prepare to stand strong even in the midst of persecution. You’ll meet him this week on VOM Radio.

Video: 40. If science answers everything, who needs God?

Video: What do you most fundamentally believe and why? N.T. Wright and Shelly Kagan

Chaplain

Quote of the day:

"In Greek, there is no linguistic differentiation between the words `trial' and `temptation', which is why some versions of James 1:2 read: `Count it all joy when you fall into various trials', while others read: `Count it all joy when you fall into various temptations'. Therefore, the temptation instigated by the enemy to pull me down or do me in is ultimately the trial allowed, even ordained by the Lord to build me up and strengthen my faith.This is seen in the life of Job. Before Satan could bring any difficulty to him, or to those around him, he first had to ask permission of God (Job 1:9-12). But the Ultimate Example of this principle is seen at Calvary. Satan attempted to destroy Jesus Christ only to discover that the Father allowed Judas Iscariot to betray Him, and the Roman soldiers to crucify Him in order to bring about our salvation. Thus, it is the mature man, the wise woman who realizes that whatever is coming down in life is allowed by the Father to do something wonderful in, or to, or through them." (Courson)

A new blog post has been posted on Acts 28 (Paul Arrives In Rome) verses 1-10. Paul’s ministry on the island of Malta.

Samples from the study:

"The Son of Man came to seek and to serve. I remember a number of years ago being a part of a conference in Wales where the theme on Christ was “The Servant King.” If the King Himself came as a servant and to serve, then that should be the model we have for ourselves. So I see it as a privileged servant. Coming from the East, where we had trusted, household help, trusted servants in the home, my father would trust them with the entire household, the children, etc., doing all types of things. This is our role, being a real servant of the King. [Therefore], we should not underestimate the role of leadership. If you do not lead, somebody else will. If you are called to lead and you don’t lead, somebody else will. Biblical leadership takes its role seriously. With a servant’s heart, people will follow a good leader, who is setting the example at the same time. It should never be underestimated." (Zacharias)

God's purpose in suffering: “You will waste your cancer if you do not believe it is designed for you by God. You will waste your cancer if you believe it is a curse and not a gift. You will waste your cancer if you seek comfort from your odds rather than from God. You will waste your cancer if you let it drive you into solitude instead of deepen your relationships. You will waste your cancer if you think that beating cancer means staying alive rather than cherishing Christ. You will waste your cancer if you grieve as those who have no hope. You will waste your cancer if you fail to use it as a means of witnessing to the truth and glory of Christ!” (John Piper, “Don’t Waste Your Cancer")

“The Lord is my shepherd”: that’s relationship. “I shall not want”: that’s supply. “He makes me to lie down in green pastures”: that’s rest. “He leads me beside still waters”: that’s refreshment. “He restores my soul”: that’s healing. “He guides me in the paths of righteousness”: that’s guidance. “For his name’s sake”: that’s purpose. “Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death”: that’s testing. “I will fear no evil”: that’s protection. “For you are with me”: that’s faithfulness. “Your rod and your staff, they comfort me”: that’s discipline. “You prepare a table for me in the presence of my enemies”: that’s hope. “You anoint my head with oil”: that’s consecration. “My cup overflows”: that’s abundance. “Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life”: that’s blessing. “And I will dwell in the house of the Lord”: that’s security. “Forever”: that’s eternity." (commentary on Psalm 23)

The islanders of Malta show kindness to Paul and the ship crew.
Paul models Christlike leadership by serving the islanders of Malta.
Why did God allow Paul to be bitten by a viper when Paul was walking in God's will?
The islanders of Malta are impressed when Paul is miraculously unharmed by a snake-bite.
Why did Paul remain unharmed from the snake-bite?
Paul and his crew find lodging.
Paul heals the father of Publius, and many others.
How does God use our own suffering to help those who suffering?

10/18/15 - Nehemiah 1:2:1-8
10/18/15 - Revelation 21:18-27
10/18/15 - Surrender (Luke 5:1-11)
10/18/15 - God's Grace Saves & Trains His People to Do Good (Titus 2:11-14)

Audio: Andrew and Emma Davies - Living with Locked In Syndrome

Loretta chats with Andrew and Emma Davies. Andrew has Locked In Syndrome, he can barely move and speaking can often leave him short of breath. His adoring wife Emma cares for his every need. They chat to Loretta about the difficulties they have suffered, how they see the future, and what role God has played in their journey.

Article: Our Disappointments Matter to God

Your disappointments do matter because the Shepherd of your soul will put it all together for you and has an eternity for you to revel in the marvel of what God has done. Our Father holds the threads of the design, and I’m so immensely grateful that He is the Grand Weaver.

Article: On Leadership and Calling: An Interview with Ravi Zacharias

As Christian apologists, that the biggest challenge to the faith is not an intellectual question. In fact, I have not heard an intellectual question to the faith that has disturbed me. I am more convinced than ever of the message of the Gospel. But the biggest challenge to the Christian faith is this: If the message that we have lays claim to a supernatural regeneration, then why is it that we do not see that regeneration more often? No other religion claims a supernatural regeneration. They may claim ethics and morality. Hinduism does. But we are the only ones who claim a new birth. Born of the Holy Spirit, our hungers have changed, our disciplines have changed, our behavior has changed. If it is a supernaturally engendered thing, why do we not see it more often? And if that is true of the common person in conversion, how much more true it must be of ones in leadership. So I believe character is essential, and without that, you cannot serve.

Article: Will You Consider It?

For his fluency with words and unrivaled poetic voice, Isaiah has been called the “Shakespeare of the prophets.” His words are assuredly lyrical; they were also political and prophetic, enduring well beyond his life. Unquestionably, the prophet fulfilled his sense of the call of God with conviction. But as human followers often note of the things God calls us to do and do whole-heartedly, it is God’s voice that reverberates in creative ways unknown even to the one called, at times beyond our own understanding, beyond our own lives.

Article: Relational Injunctions

Why is it that the unfathomable truth of Word made flesh can only be conclusively understood in a living, verifiable community of believers? Why is it that of all the methods that the evil one could invent to thwart the purposes of God, none would succeed so spectacularly as the disruption of relationships among the members of the body of Christ?

Question for the OT:

Where does one find a young adult group to go on a spiritual retreat?

My church doesn't do any events that cater to adults in their 20s-30s, and I've been fighting with my inner self about spirituality. I want to take a weekend to reflect with people in my age bracket.

Chaplain

Quote of the day:

"Humility is not thinking less of yourself but thinking of yourself less"—C. S. Lewis

A new blog post has been posted on Acts 28 (Paul Arrives In Rome) verses 11-16. Paul makes it to Rome and becomes a Roman prisoner.

Samples from the study:

"Hearing Paul was on his way, the brothers in Rome set out to meet him. The Appiforum being forty-three miles from Rome, The Three Taverns thirty three — some men traveled further than others to meet the Apostle who had stirred their hearts through his Epistle to the Romans. So too, people travel different distances in their desire to learn of the Lord. The wise men from the East traveled at least a year and a half to see the Christ Child, while the religious leaders in Jerusalem couldn't be bothered to make the five-mile trip to see what was happening in Bethlehem." (Courson)

"Paul wasn’t in a normal prison. He was allowed to dwell by himself and provide his own living space (a rented house according to Acts 28:30). Yet he was constantly under the supervision of a Roman guard, and often chained. The rotation of the guards gave him a constant supply of people to talk to." (Guzik)

"In Philippians 1:13, written from this Roman custody, Paul wanted the Philippians to know that God's blessing and power were still with him, even though he was in prison. He was not out of the will of God, and God's work still continued. We also know that all this turned out for the furtherance of the gospel because during this time he wrote Ephesians, Philippians, and Colossians. God didn't waste Paul's time during the Roman imprisonment. God never wastes our time, though we may waste it by not sensing God's purpose for our lives at the moment." (Guzik)

"A woman imprisoned for life without parole for killing her husband had her sentence unexpectedly commuted by the governor, and she wept when she heard the news. Why did she cry? Because the news was good, and she had been so used to hearing only bad. But why cry at good news? Perhaps because if most of your news is bad, you need to harden your heart to it. So you become accustomed to bad news, and to one extent or another, you learn to protect yourself against it, maybe by not minding so much. And then good news cracks your heart. It makes it feel keenly again all the evils to which it had become dull. It also opens it up to longing and hope, and hope is painful, because what is hoped for is not yet there. So, in an odd sort of way, the mirror of evil can also lead us to God. A loathing focus on the evils of our world and ourselves prepares us to be the more startled by the taste of true goodness when we find it and the more determined to follow where it leads. And where it leads is to the truest goodness of all— the goodness of God." (Philosopher Eleonore Stump)

The final part of Paul’s journey towards Rome.
Paul is encouraged by local believers coming to greet him.
Jesus' promise to Paul is fulfilled.
Paul’s status as a prisoner in Rome.
Why was it God's will for Paul to live in prison?
Why did Paul's imprisonment not hindered the gospel in any way?

Article: Record number of Bibles distributed by Bible Societies in 2014

2014 saw the highest number of printed Bibles ever distributed by Bible Societies around the world. Nearly 34 million full Bibles were distributed, a rise of 6% over 2013’s figures, and 14% higher than the number distributed in the first year of the decade.

Article: Harvard Business Review on trust. "We behave more ethically when we know someone is watching and reviewing." ^_^

During a recent stay at the Disney Swan hotel in Florida, I confess I did something in the bathroom I have done many times before. I used too many towels and carelessly left them on the floor. It’s not something I’ve thought much about before: I leave the hotel and who’s to know? But something struck me as I walked out the door. I would never do this as a guest staying in a place on Airbnb. I behave differently because of the reputation system in place that means not only do I rate hosts, but they rate me. Trust lies intimately between the perceptions of the two users.

Can science account for everything?

As William Lane Craig once pointed out in his classic debate with Dr. Peter Atkins, there are a number of things that cannot be scientifically proven, but that we are all rational to accept.

1. mathematics and logic

2. metaphysical truths (such as, there are minds that exist other than my own),

3. ethical judgments (you can't prove by science that the Nazis were evil, because morality is not subject to the scientific method),

4. aesthetic judgments (the beautiful, like the good, cannot be scientifically proven), and, ironically

5. science itself (the belief that the scientific method discovers truth can't be proven by the scientific method itself) [1]

To check out our responses to other common objections, go here

Blog: Notes from the 2015 RZIM Oxford Summer School: Part 1
Blog: Notes from the 2015 Oxford RZIM Summer School: Part 2

Academic paper: An excellent new paper by Robin Collins on fine-tuning

One of the most persuasive evidences for the existence of God from the cosmos is the argument from the fine-tuning of the cosmos for the existence of life, the so-called anthropic fine-tuning… The most commonly cited case of anthropic fine-tuning is that of the cosmological constant. If it were not within one part in 10^120 of its theoretical possible range of values, either the universe would expand, or collapse, too quickly for galaxies and stars to form. There have been a variety of challenges to the fine-tuning evidence itself, and whether it supports the existence of God or a multiverse. I have developed a detailed argument elsewhere (Collins, 2009) that the fine-tuning evidence does provide strong confirmatory evidence for theism over naturalism. Here I primarily want to explore another kind of fine-tuning and its implications for this debate: the fine-tuning of the universe for being discovered. By this fine-tuning, I mean that the laws, fundamental parameters, and initial conditions of the universe must be just right for the universe to be as discoverable as ours. After presenting examples to illustrate this kind of this fine-tuning, I will argue that if this kind of fine-tuning exists, in general it cannot be explained by a multiverse hypothesis – by far the leading non-theistic explanation for anthropic fine-tuning. Further, I will show how the idea that the universe is fine-tuned for discovery answers some other commonly raised objections against the fine-tuning argument, and finally I will look at its potential predictive and explanatory power.

Finally, to be absolutely clear, my project in this paper is not so much to argue for the existence of God, but to explicate where one might look for new evidence one way or another. This is in keeping with the spirit of scientific inquiry.

Chaplain

Question for the OT:

Where does one find a young adult group to go on a spiritual retreat?

My church doesn't do any events that cater to adults in their 20s-30s, and I've been fighting with my inner self about spirituality. I want to take a weekend to reflect with people in my age bracket.

This is what I found. Do you due diligence and make sure you find out all you can about the place you would be going to.

http://www.retreatfinder.com/Directory/Faith/Christian/Protestant.aspx

Chaplain

Quote of the day:

Prefer to [do]'s God's will; learn to love thyself by not loving thyself. — Augustine

A new blog post has been posted on Acts 28 (Paul Arrives In Rome) verses 17-31. Paul makes it to Rome and becomes a Roman prisoner #2

Samples from the study:

"The moment of truth does not mean that everyone is persuaded by the truth, for even at that point they always have the final choice: to fall on their knees or to turn on their heels. For those who fall on their knees, it is the moment when their unbelief is shown up as inadequate, when they face up fully to the reality that shows it up, and when they accept the logic of God’s truth that points undeniably to God himself. Joad described how he hit that sober moment of truth as a philosopher: “The rationalist‑optimist philosophy, by the light of which I had done my best to live, came to seem intolerably trivial and superficial . . . unable to withstand the bleaker winds of the twentieth century. I abandoned it and found myself a Christian.” (Guinness)

"Some Christians believe what God says and some don't. Those who don't, find themselves engulfed in despair, defeat, discouragement. You see, it's not enough just to know the Scriptures, gang. It's not enough just to hear the Word. It's not enough just to come to Bible study. You and I must believe. And `believe' is not a noun — it's a verb. We can be the happiest, most carefree people in the world if we believe — and act on that belief. You might know the Scriptures backward and forward — but Jesus said, `Happy are you if you do them,' (John 13:17). It's what you do — not what you know that matters, and it all begins by saying, `Today I'm going to believe that God is working, and that He is fulfilling what He has promised. You are faithful, Lord; and I will live in that today. I will proclaim Your faithfulness; and I will choose to rejoice in You.'" (Courson)

" Luke wants to conclude his eyewitness account with the dimension of the gospel that is most striking—namely, that these evidences are far from the end of the story. Luke wants hearers to be well aware that eyewitnesses to the power of the kingdom will go well beyond his own eyes, his stories, his lifetime; your eyes, your stories, your lifetime. Though variant theologies and distorted gospels will abound, though the world will delight in yet another conspiracy theory that promises to be the downfall of Christianity, the great narration of God’s kingdom will go forth unhindered. For the Christian, this means we need not live defeated by every emerging plot to undermine Christ. For Christ is risen! And for the one who has yet to accept him, it is continually and powerfully an invitation. Consider living into a victory like his, walking further up and farther into the great unhindered kingdom of the vicariously human Son of God." (Carattini)

Paul appeals to the Jewish community of Rome.
The Jewish leaders respond to Paul.
Paul uses the Old Testament to share the gospel with the Jewish community of Rome.
What is the kingdom of God?
Some in the Jewish community of Rome reject the gospel.
Paul explains the rejection of the gospel from Isaiah 6:9-10.
Why does God harden the heart of the one who does not want to believe Him?
Why did Paul tell the Jews that he would take the message of salvation to the Gentiles?
What did Paul do waiting two years in Rome for his trial in Caesar’s court?
What does it mean that God's word remains unhindered from the time of Acts until now?

New Sermons (right click/save as):

10-20-15 - Genesis 28 (Men's study)
10-20-15 - Teach Us to Pray (Selected Scripture) (Women's study)
10-21-15 - Proverbs 17:7-28
10-21-15 - Grieve Not the Spirit (Ephesians 4:30-32)

Article: Joyless Christianity Is Dangerous

Are you in spiritual danger? If you were, how would you know? One key sign of spiritual danger is losing your joy. Don’t skim past what Paul says at the end of Philippians 3:1: “Finally, my brothers, rejoice in the Lord. To write the same things to you is no trouble to me and is safe for you.” Paul reminds them to rejoice because it is safe. Joy is one of the vital gauges on the dashboard of the Christian life. When the needle dips — when you lose your joy — you should take note. To stay safe, you need to pay attention to your joy.

Article: Did God Condone Slavery?

God regulated slavery in the Old Testament...does that mean He approves of it? And if He doesn't, why did He allow it?

Article: The people who challenged my atheism most were drug addicts and prostitutes

Three years later I did escape my town, eventually receiving a PhD in physics, and then working on Wall Street for 20 years. A life devoted to rational thought, a life devoted to numbers and clever arguments.

During that time I counted myself an atheist and nodded in agreement as a wave of atheistic fervor swept out of the scientific community and into the media, led by Richard Dawkins.

I saw some of myself in him: quick with arguments, uneasy with emotions, comfortable with logic, able to look at any ideology or any thought process and expose the inconsistencies. We all picked on the Bible, a tome cobbled together over hundreds of years that provides so many inconsistencies. It is the skinny 85lb (35.6kg) weakling for anyone looking to flex their scientific muscles.

I eventually left my Wall Street job and started working with and photographing homeless addicts in the South Bronx. When I first walked into the Bronx I assumed I would find the same cynicism I had towards faith. If anyone seemed the perfect candidate for atheism it was the addicts who see daily how unfair, unjust, and evil the world can be.

None of them are. Rather they are some of the strongest believers I have met, steeped in a combination of Bible, superstition, and folklore.

Chaplain

Quote of the day:

"True faith can no more be without true holiness, than true fire without heat." (John Owen, Vice-Chancellor of the University of Oxford)

A new blog post has been posted on Galatians 1 (Challenging a Different Gospel) verses 1-5. Introduction to the Apostle Paul's letter to the Galatians.

Samples from the study:

"Paul tells us that he received his understanding of who Jesus was and what he did from a supernatural experience within a year or two after the crucifixion. He also points out that he went to Jerusalem three years later and the apostles there agreed that his message of a divine Son of God who was crucified and rose from the dead was correct. There is no reason to doubt that Paul visited the apostles, since he has no dear motive for lying and, further, such a visit fits well with the Jewish practice of looking to authorized teachers of a rabbi's doctrines for controls on doctrinal purity. Thus, belief in a divine, risen Jesus was in existence within just a few years after his death." (J. P. Moreland, Professor of Philosophy at Talbot School of Theology at Biola University in La Mirada, California.)

"Paul always began his epistles in one of two ways: To the Romans and the Philippians, to Titus and Philemon, he introduced himself as a servant, or prisoner of Christ. To the Corinthians and the Ephesians, to the Colossians and the Galatians, he presented himself as an apostle. Why? Because to those who embraced and welcomed his ministry, he was a servant; but to those who challenged his authority he was an apostle, a `sent one' of Jesus Christ. Thus, even the opening verse of this letter underscores the fact that Paul's enemies — those who taught the three R's of religion: Rules, Regulations, and Rituals — sought to undermine the ministry of grace in the region of Galatia by questioning the authority of Paul." (Courson)

"This world is governed by Satan. Jesus called Satan the prince of this world. And referring to him said, "The prince of this world is coming, and has nothing in me" (John 14:30). When Satan tempted Christ by showing to Him the kingdoms of the world and the glory of them, and promised to give them to Jesus, if He would just bow down to Satan, Satan bragged, They are mine and I can give them to whomever I will. Jesus did not dispute that. And because Satan is the god of this world, because it is under his control, being given to him by man, it is a present evil world but the purpose of Jesus Christ is to deliver you, His children, from this present evil world. That is God's will to deliver you from it." (Smith)

Introduction to Galatians 1
Is Paul the author of the letter to the Galatians?
Why did Paul emphasis his the apostolic credentials?
Who ordained Paul for ministry?
What is the value of being formally ordained?
Who was the letter of Galatians written to?
Paul sends his apostolic greeting of grace and peace.
What is the greatest gift Jesus has ever given to mankind?
How can the world be evil if it belongs to God?

Video: 41. Aren't all religions the same?

legend166

Incoming rant alert:

My wife and I currently drive 45 minutes to attend a church. We're investigating some local churches to hopefully find a place we can attend which is closer so we can be be more involved in the life of the church.

We visited a local Presbyterian church yesterday. There was good preaching, a worship style that suited both of us (we prefer I guess what you'd call more 'traditional' worship, i.e. the music leader isn't placed on the same level as the minister :p).

The only thing is in a congregation of about 40 people, there were 3 people under the age of 50, including the two of us, and we were visitors. We talked to some people afterwards and they all said the same thing - "Oh you should come back and visit during the night service, that's more youth oriented."

I don't know if this is the case in the US, but here in Australia this is so common. Church services have become age segregated and it's really, really stupid. There's absolutely no biblical basis for it and it's counterproductive to what the local church should be in the first place.

Firstly, age really has nothing to do with our growth as a Christian. A 23 year old who's been a Christian since he was 14 is more likely to be a mature believer further along in his growth than an 80 year old new convert. Age segregation ignores that fact.

Secondly, the gospel is the gospel. It doesn't change whether we're 8 or 80 and churches shouldn't be promoting this idea. Similarly, worship is worship. We shouldn't be 'tailoring' worship to suit particular age groups. We should be trying to make it inclusive for all believers. That's probably going to involve compromise from all sides, but that's what we should be doing as a family of believers.

Which is really the whole point - we're a family of believers, and each person has individual gifts. But churches these days are deliberately depriving themselves of those gifts. The local church provides a unique opportunity to gather and encourage believers across all age groups, backgrounds, ethnicities, etc. Outside of your family, when would we get these opportunities? Why are we depriving ourselves of that?

Rant over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom