• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chromecast |OT|

reKon

Banned
Any word when Chromecast gets better support?

I use it primarily for Netflix, but I also have Amazon Prime. I really want to watch Amazon Video even though I can't watch HD videos on it (wtf).

It's against's Amazon's interest. They are rumored to be creating their own set top box. If it's only going be for streaming Amazon Prime video, then they're fucking idiots. If it's going to be able to stream all the same stuff as Apple TV in addition to Prime videos and they are able to hit that $40-$50 price point, it could make a big splash.

I do want Amazon Prime on it though... badly.

Skinpop

Soon. Google is holding a chromecast hackathon on the 7th. Which I guess means the sdk is done/releasable.

And I expect to see a host of Google Cast announcements at CES too.

wow, that's the first bit of good news in a while. My chromecast has been collecting dust for the last few months since I personally bought it with the SDK in mind.

I need help with the local file streaming feature (I know it's a novelty). It's impossible to open a file (e.g. an AVI video) without it opening in the default program - in this case, Media Player Classic. It just downloads the file to My Download folder. Without connecting to Chromecast, I can access the folder/index in a Chrome window fine, but I can't open the file IN Chrome. In other words, I can't do what this guy does here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kutb_5umG3c&t=42s

Quasar

wow, that's the first bit of good news in a while. My chromecast has been collecting dust for the last few months since I personally bought it with the SDK in mind.

I can't say mine gets used a lot either (just for Youtube and occasionally Google Music).

IMACOMPUTA

I used my chromecast as a jukebox last night during a party I threw. People just downloaded chromecast on their phones and connected to my WiFi to add songs to my TV queue in youtube.

It worked pretty well, except it seemed like whenever a new device connected to the chromecast initially it erased the TV queue and played the video they selected. I thought it could be user error but it happened every time.

Is there a way to randomize the TV queue? If anybody has any tips or suggestions on getting the most out of chromecast as a juke box, I'd love to hear them.

It would also be nice to be able to queue youtube and Google music together rather than running one app at a time.

Skinpop

I used my chromecast as a jukebox last night during a party I threw. People just downloaded chromecast on their phones and connected to my WiFi to add songs to my TV queue in youtube.

It worked pretty well, except it seemed like whenever a new device connected to the chromecast initially it erased the TV queue and played the video they selected. I thought it could be user error but it happened every time.

Is there a way to randomize the TV queue? If anybody has any tips or suggestions on getting the most out of chromecast as a juke box, I'd love to hear them.

It would also be nice to be able to queue youtube and Google music together rather than running one app at a time.

that's the kind of stuff a SDK would fix, don't get why Google has been so slow to release it. It wouldn't surprise me if they cut all support for the device.

SimleuqiR

that's the kind of stuff a SDK would fix, don't get why Google has been so slow to release it. It wouldn't surprise me if they cut all support for the device.

Ehhh...with the device propping up for sale on all kinds of retail stores I doubt they will. They have also been promoting Chromecast on TV, during prime time hours. Something they haven't even done with their Nexus phone line. So it's doubtful they will "cut all support".

Why has Google taken so long to open up this little stick? Two words, Google TV.

Google TV was hit with so much opposition from the media companies it never had a chance. All broadcast networks blocked the device from streaming FREE available streams from their websites. The form factor and the cost had something to do with it's demised too.

Smartest thing Google did was partner up with Netflix as a launch partner, and later added Hulu and HBO Go.

yyzjohn

Banned
Ehhh...with the device propping up for sale on all kinds of retail stores I doubt they will. They have also been promoting Chromecast on TV, during prime time hours. Something they haven't even done with their Nexus phone line. So it's doubtful they will "cut all support".

Why has Google taken so long to open up this little stick? Two words, Google TV.

Google TV was hit with so much opposition from the media companies it never had a chance. All broadcast networks blocked the device from streaming FREE available streams from their websites. The form factor and the cost had something to do with it's demised too.

Smartest thing Google did was partner up with Netflix as a launch partner, and later added Hulu and HBO Go.

Yeah, I'm seeing more and more places selling Chromecast lately. It seems to me they're ready to release the SDK and make a huge holiday push for the thing. It's a no-brainer buy at the price point as it is. The more advertising it gets, the more they'll sell.

Skinpop

I suppose you are right, since I live in Sweden I'm not exposed to any of that.

thespot84

Does chromecast need external power supply?

depends on if your TV has the newest iteration of HDMI. If so, then no. if it's older, than yes, you can plug it into the service port on your tv (USB, this will break the CEC on function though) or plug it into the included charger to the wall

NH Apache

Banned
depends on if your TV has the newest iteration of HDMI. If so, then no. if it's older, than yes, you can plug it into the service port on your tv (USB, this will break the CEC on function though) or plug it into the included charger to the wall

2.0, the one that came out in September? I have the tv set up on the wall with all the cords hidden. I would rather avoid running another cable through the wall...

Fake edit: after reading more on my tv, it appears I do have a USB port on it proper so I should be good. Throwing this on the Christmas list. Emerson LF504EM4 is my tv btw, but I can't find any docs on the HDMI revision.

So, apparently, the new update that's rolling out right now contains the hooks for V2 of the API. Hopefully that means they'll actually announce what V2 is over the next couple weeks and, you know, actually make it public.

Quasar

So, apparently, the new update that's rolling out right now contains the hooks for V2 of the API. Hopefully that means they'll actually announce what V2 is over the next couple weeks and, you know, actually make it public.

Wouldn't that be part of the hackfest?

yyzjohn

Banned
Probably, but there's no guarantee that that means that they'll actually make things public anytime soon. They could have all the hackfest participants sign an NDA.

They have to be going public very soon. More retailers are selling Chromecast now, software update rolling out and this hackathon going on. Common sense would say they go public before Christmas.

They have to be going public very soon. More retailers are selling Chromecast now, software update rolling out and this hackathon going on. Common sense would say they go public before Christmas.

I hope so, but I'm not going to count on anything. The API is generally fine right now (not great, just fine, and definitely usable) as it is, and has been for months now, and as soon as they get rid of the whitelisting requirement then everything should be fine. The main thing that could make them not do it now is the content providers, and that's what worries me. Content providers basically killed GoogleTV by blocking it, and I can see Google giving in to them to let Chromecast survive.

Quasar

I hope so, but I'm not going to count on anything. The API is generally fine right now (not great, just fine, and definitely usable) as it is, and has been for months now, and as soon as they get rid of the whitelisting requirement then everything should be fine. The main thing that could make them not do it now is the content providers, and that's what worries me. Content providers basically killed GoogleTV by blocking it, and I can see Google giving in to them to let Chromecast survive.

I dont understand why they would. I mean pretty much all the same apps are all on ios with airplay functionality.

I have wondered if stuff is being hung onto till after we see other googlecast devices announced/shown at ces.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I am so ready for people to mess with Chromecast. Even simple things - like having Youtube hit a random video from someone's channel, or a real and functional shuffling...or repeat? Yeah.

SimleuqiR

http://www.droid-life.com/2013/12/10/google-announces-10-new-chromecast-apps-for-the-holidays/

The list of new apps is as follows:
  • VEVO
  • Red Bull.TV
  • Songza
  • PostTV
  • Viki
  • Revision 3
  • BeyondPod
  • Plex
  • Avia
  • RealPlayer Cloud

A quick overview of the Avia App:

http://phandroid.com/2013/12/10/avi...-facebook-dropbox-local-storage-dlna-servers/

Avia’s goal is to help users move their personal media between devices from a variety of storage locations. Like previous versions of Avia, you can link the app to cloud storage, local storage, and network servers.

Cloud storage – A this time, Avia only allows you to link your Dropbox, Facebook, or Google+ accounts. If you use Dropbox for photo and video storage or have the automatic camera upload feature enabled, this is for you. Avia allso supports Facebook photos and videos, allowing you to view and cast any media that’s been uploaded to your Facebook account. While Avia is still using the old retired Picasa name, the final cloud storage option is in fact Google+ Photos. If you share photos or videos on Google+ or have Auto Backup enabled, this is a great option seeing as Google+ allows for unlimited photo and video uploads. Additionally, during our interview, Videon told us that Google Drive support and other possible storage options are on the roadmap, so stay tuned.

Local storage – Your prayers have finally been answered. Just as it sounds, Avia automatically scans your local device storage looking for videos, photos, and music and allows you to cast them to your TV. This is probably one of the most sought after features for Chromecast as many people store media on their phones and tablets. Not everyone embraces the cloud.

Network storage – If you have a local media server, such as a DLNA server, Avia can be linked to cast your content from a networked computer or server to your Chromecast. For example, if you have an extensive photo collection, video, or music library and happen to run a DLNA server such as Windows Media Player, Avia can stream content from that server to your TV. If you have multiple Android devices, let’s say a tablet with videos and a phone with photos, either device can be enabled as a media sharing device, allowing you to pull all of your media together from all sources, into one library.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Awesome! Looks like Avia still has some limitations and Plex requires one of their subscriptions, but this is great that we're finally getting some more apps.

Yep! At least we have some options for actually playing local content now.

Quasar

So happy to see Plex enabled.

Seems to work great for me...except that no matter what I do subtitles are gigantic. Dunno if thats a bug or what.

yyzjohn

Banned
So happy to see Plex enabled.

Seems to work great for me...except that no matter what I do subtitles are gigantic. Dunno if thats a bug or what.

Do they seriously charge a monthly fee even if you want to stream local content to the Chromecast?

Quasar

Do they seriously charge a monthly fee even if you want to stream local content to the Chromecast?

Now I can't be certain, but new features like this tend to start out under the subscription. I assume this fits under that for now. Of course the whole device sync feature (which I pretty much signed up for - well that and early access) still continues as a feature of the PlexPass.

Definitely good news, but not what I was hoping to hear this week. And now I'm wondering about what the process is, right now, to get your app cleared to work for the general public. Is it that Google picks you as a partner? Do you have to contact them? As a customer, it's great to see more apps, but as a developer, this is actually even more frustrating.

tr4656

Definitely good news, but not what I was hoping to hear this week. And now I'm wondering about what the process is, right now, to get your app cleared to work for the general public. Is it that Google picks you as a partner? Do you have to contact them? As a customer, it's great to see more apps, but as a developer, this is actually even more frustrating.

I think until the SDK is released publicly, Google will pick you.

BFIB

We recently cut the cord on our cable, so I'm thinking of picking one of these up. Mostly using Netflix, Amazon Instant Video.

How is the streaming when coming off an iPad?

SimleuqiR

We recently cut the cord on our cable, so I'm thinking of picking one of these up. Mostly using Netflix, Amazon Instant Video.

Well, there is no streaming from your iPad. For example, the streaming of a video on Netflix would be coming directly from their servers. All your iPad is doing is telling the Chromecast your account info on Netflix and what video to stream. Your iPad becomes a glorified remote.

FinKL

There's no Amazon Video yet, but this thing is so nifty theres always a work around. I assume you'll have a computer/laptop and not just an iPad?

For example, you can cast Amazon video through your computer's web browser to Chromecast.

If you really wanted to stay on your iPad, you could remote in to your computer with Remote Desktop/Teamviewer iPad app, open up Chrome browser, point to Amazon video, and Chromecast it. Definitely a little work, and might stutter if WiFi is not up to snuff, but a lot of things are possible with this thing as long as you can access it from the web.

Anyone having issues with their chromecast lately? Mine was working fine since release and I haven't been able to use it at all for 2 days now, it just goes to the red netflix loading screen and spins forever and ever

corn_fest

Anyone having issues with their chromecast lately? Mine was working fine since release and I haven't been able to use it at all for 2 days now, it just goes to the red netflix loading screen and spins forever and ever

Ours refuses to connect to the network, although nothing's changed in that regard. I'm assuming it's an issue with the new firmware.

Top Bottom