• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chromecast |OT|

Mairu

Actually some/many devices don't have access to the prime free videos library, just the purchased videos library.

ps3/wii u can access prime free stuff

it'd be nice if it supported chromecast but I don't expect that to ever happen

Yes it works with Google play music app. Music has to be available to stream though.

Has to be available?

Not sure what you mean?

I got 700 albums uploaded to my Google play music account which i play through my Nexus 7, If i get the Chromecast can it play whats in my Google music account?

Also Google music i play in Chromecast, can i control it via my Nexus 7?

yyzjohn

Banned
Has to be available?

Not sure what you mean?

I got 700 albums uploaded to my Google play music account which i play through my Nexus 7, If i get the Chromecast can it play whats in my Google music account?

Yes, I wasn't sure if google play music was available in the UK, if you have no issues playing on your Nexus device, the Chromecast will work as well. Basically the Chromecast will stream directly from Google play music, it won't stream music direct from your device though (if you have any locally stored music)

Has to be available?

Not sure what you mean?

For whatever reason, you cannot steam stuff that you uploaded.

Yes, I wasn't sure if google play music was available in the UK, if you have no issues playing on your Nexus device, the Chromecast will work as well. Basically the Chromecast will stream directly from Google play music, it won't stream music direct from your device though (if you have any locally stored music)

Thanks for the info, just ordered my Chromecast

thespot84

Huh? I have music uploaded to Google play music and it streams fine. Where are you getting this from?

You can definitely stream anything that's been uploaded and is visible from the google music app. The caveat I believe is that you cannot also have a local copy of it on your device. that might trip it up.

yyzjohn

Banned
You can definitely stream anything that's been uploaded and is visible from the google music app. The caveat I believe is that you cannot also have a local copy of it on your device. that might trip it up.

That sounds like a software issue that should be easily resolvable. I have no locally stored music so I can't comment on it but if your music is all in the cloud there should be no issues.

Quasar

That sounds like a software issue that should be easily resolvable. I have no locally stored music so I can't comment on it but if your music is all in the cloud there should be no issues.

Yeah. There's an option in google music to preference local over the online version that's probably where its tripping up. Its happened to me before.

Elchele

Can I stream music from my Mac/Android to TV using Chromecast? Without uploading it to Google Music (not available in Argentina).

thespot84

Can I stream music from my Mac/Android to TV using Chromecast? Without uploading it to Google Music (not available in Argentina).

mac yes (via chrome tab streaming, even spotify web player works) android no. You'll have to check it chromecast is available in argentina, people have been complaining about dns issues/region locking

sangreal

Does HBO Go support Chromecast? Tired of waiting for them to update it on the Play Store.

no, which is ridiculous. you can see the test page for it on hbogo but they haven't opened it up for more apps yet (other than hulu+)

I like the chromecast for what it is, but hbo go would be absolutely huge for me

I'm assuming (okay, hoping) that whenever they get around to announcing/releasing 4.4 KitKat and the Nexus 5, that'll be when they take the Chromecast SDK out of beta (been playing around with it and it seems stable enough, even though there are a few bugs they could be fixing). And hoping that maybe device mirroring will be a 4.4 feature, or at least some feature to get local pictures/video off the device and onto it.

Elchele

mac yes (via chrome tab streaming, even spotify web player works) android no. You'll have to check it chromecast is available in argentina, people have been complaining about dns issues/region locking

Thank you. Region locking? wow, I didn't know about that. I thought the Google DNS only affected in case you use something like unblock-us to use the US Netflix.

I already bought mine, so let's hope for the best :p thanks!

Maiar_m

Picked it up in Europe, can't play my netflix on the TV, that's a letdown. I'll dig the thread to see if a solution applies to me (I'm in France, i use mediahint to play netflix on the coputer, hiddenNinja VPN as an app on tablets / mobiles) but any quick help would be much appreciated!

SimleuqiR

http://www.droid-life.com/2013/11/1...ported-chromecast-app-in-google-support-page/

HBO Go Shows Up as Supported Chromecast App in Google Support Page

Screen-Shot-2013-11-13-at-1.46.31-PM-650x419.png

According to a Google support page for the Chromecast that lists out compatible apps and services, HBO Go is now shown sitting next to Pandora and Hulu Plus as the “new” apps to the ecosystem.

itshappening.gif

sca2511

Anyone have the issue with the Chromecast hanging after 5+ Youtube videos? I usually have to reset the device to get it working again.

CzarTim

Anyone have the issue with the Chromecast hanging after 5+ Youtube videos? I usually have to reset the device to get it working again.

I had this problem and had to call support to get a new one. It doesn't freeze, but the power plug stopped working. Shoddy craftsmanship.

bob page

Videos via Youtube have been stuttering like crazy for me all of a sudden. I tried a factory reset but it didn't seem to help. Not sure if it's my connection. Any ideas?

SimleuqiR

Videos via Youtube have been stuttering like crazy for me all of a sudden. I tried a factory reset but it didn't seem to help. Not sure if it's my connection. Any ideas?

Probably your ISP throttling.
I don't have these YouTube issues people keep complaining about. Not even on the Chromecast.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
YouTube turned to shit for me today as well. Not bandwidth throttling. Always cuts out at the same time, same sound profile, PC plays without issue, glad it's happening to some others and not my fault.

Quasar

Picked it up in Europe, can't play my netflix on the TV, that's a letdown. I'll dig the thread to see if a solution applies to me (I'm in France, i use mediahint to play netflix on the coputer, hiddenNinja VPN as an app on tablets / mobiles) but any quick help would be much appreciated!

Well if mediahint is like unblockus, you will need to monkey around with a router. The problem is the device has its dns hard coded to google servers. So you need to configure router to redirect all dns requests to non google ip addresses.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Still waiting for Rdio/Spotify support because my Chromecast is connected to my awesome Onkyo receiver which is of course connected to my home theater system.

EDIT: Thinking about it, I guess I can just cast my browser tab. Still, I'd love to be able to control it directly through the iOS/Android app.

Any word when Chromecast gets better support?

I use it primarily for Netflix, but I also have Amazon Prime. I really want to watch Amazon Video even though I can't watch HD videos on it (wtf).

Top Bottom