• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chromecast |OT|

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
How well does this work for a non tech savvy person with an iPad 2?

99% of its job will be streaming Netflix. How well does it do that? Does it send HD and 5.1 sound if connected to a receiver? Reliable?

yyzjohn

Banned
How well does this work for a non tech savvy person with an iPad 2?

99% of its job will be streaming Netflix. How well does it do that? Does it send HD and 5.1 sound if connected to a receiver? Reliable?

You're in luck cause right now the best thing it does it stream Netflix (and Youtube) in HD. As long as your wifi signal is strong and fast enough you'll get a good HD stream. It also does 5.1 sound if connected through your receiver.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
You're in luck cause right now the best thing it does it stream Netflix (and Youtube) in HD. As long as your wifi signal is strong and fast enough you'll get a good HD stream. It also does 5.1 sound if connected through your receiver.

Perfect. I had already ordered it as a backup, waiting for Apple TVs to get updated, and if it wasn't ideal I woulda taken it for shits and giggles but good to know it can definitely get the job done.

Thanks man.

Did music streaming stop working for anyone else? Sucks. I also noticed that if i'm casting with the ps3 powered on, the youtube app will ask me if I want to cast to the CC or the PS3. Pretty neat.

SimleuqiR

Actually, depending on your TV, it doesn't have to be connected to a receiver to do 5.1. My TV automatically sends the sound from the CC (connected to HDMI2 on the TV) to my receiver. The receiver is connected to my TV on HDMI1. I have no optical out sound connect to the receiver. Just one HDMI cable from the TV to the receiver.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Actually, depending on your TV, it doesn't have to be connected to a receiver to do 5.1. My TV automatically sends the sound from the CC (connected to HDMI2 on the TV) to my receiver. The receiver is connected to my TV on HDMI1. I have no optical out sound connect to the receiver. Just one HDMI cable from the TV to the receiver.
Arc is generally only 5.1 from an internal source, ie the TV apps themselves not external sources.

Really? i've had 3 or 4 different setups utilizing this (basically for receivers that don't have hdmi) and the tv tends to pass the signal through fine.

Yeah works for me too...guess we're two of the 1%

Many people think they're getting 5.1 when they're really getting 2.0 from this setup. Very few TVs allow you to go from HDMI to optical for passing on the audio source. If you are absolutely sure you're definitely getting 5.1, then yes, you are lucky to have one of the few TVs that actually supports it. But again, most of the time, people are mistaken.

Many people think they're getting 5.1 when they're really getting 2.0 from this setup. Very few TVs allow you to go from HDMI to optical for passing on the audio source. If you are absolutely sure you're definitely getting 5.1, then yes, you are lucky to have one of the few TVs that actually supports it. But again, most of the time, people are mistaken.
indeed. most sets pass thru stereo audio.

Dunlop

Finally got mine

Note to Canadians as I had researched nothing before buying

The network settings cannot be changed, so it is dhcp with Google's dns.You need a router with dd-wrt or tomato on it to set-up an iptable if you want us netflix
Awesome little device

I solved my dumb crashing problem by cleaning the cache. Could have been something random. But how do you explain this?

https://db.tt/kuRpypiL

I can't stream LOCAL files. Whatever asinine technical excuse Google has, I have to upload my legally bought music from home and THEN stream i. What bullshit.

thespot84

I solved my dumb crashing problem by cleaning the cache. Could have been something random. But how do you explain this?

https://db.tt/kuRpypiL

I can't stream LOCAL files. Whatever asinine technical excuse Google has, I have to upload my legally bought music from home and THEN stream i. What bullshit.

Chromecast does not stream any media from your mobile device EVER. That's the way it's designed as of now. Your device sends stop/pause/play/next/last/volume commands and that's it. Same goes for youtube and netflix, and anything else that gets streamed from a phone or tablet. The purpose is to save battery and stream via stable wifi rather than a 3g/4g network.

Chromecast does not stream any media from your mobile device EVER. That's the way it's designed as of now. Your device sends stop/pause/play/next/last/volume commands and that's it. Same goes for youtube and netflix, and anything else that gets streamed from a phone or tablet. The purpose is to save battery and stream via stable wifi rather than a 3g/4g network.
So why can't it play the album from the cloud? GPAA implementation of cloud and uploaded music is so disappointing. It's better than Spotify's method at least.Why can't it fetch the cloud version I don't technically own? Why does having it on a device ruin everything? It wouldn't be so confusing if Chromecast had an actual UI on the TV so I know what is on there. It's a weird concept for me (and everyone else) to grasp.

So why can't it play the album from the cloud? GPAA implementation of cloud and uploaded music is so disappointing. It's better than Spotify's method at least.Why can't it fetch the cloud version I don't technically own? Why does having it on a device ruin everything? It wouldn't be so confusing if Chromecast had an actual UI on the TV so I know what is on there. It's a weird concept for me (and everyone else) to grasp.

It does stream music from the cloud through Google Play Music.

kaskade

Nice to see Hulu support. Google really needs to hurry with the apps though. I can't wait to properly stream local content.

SimleuqiR

How was Hulu able to release an app with support if the SDK isn't final yet? Shouldn't other companies be allowed to release support too?

How? Just how Netflix had first dibs on the device. It's a partnership. I'm also sure there are some licensing issues that need to be iron out before either Netflix and Hulu allow new devices to stream their service.

It's very possible Hulu support was baked in from day one and the delay was due to licensing issues.

Mairu

Can't see Amazon making the effort to enable Chromecast support for Instant Video considering they're never going to even support Android outside of Kindle Fires. Hopefully they'll surprise me

kinggroin

Banned

I've been lucky in this regard. Both my Samsung plasmas from 2010 and 2011 pass through DD via optical out. Not a setup I use any longer since moving to a Denon with HDMI.

SimleuqiR

I dont think this will ever come, particularly as the Amazon tablets are getting more and more popular.

Will Amazon then strip away their Kindle app from Android (Google Play Store). It makes no sense to me that they allow one versus the other.

At the very least they could support and "Chromecast" app so you can just browse and send the stream to the device, no need to play the content locally.

Will Amazon then strip away their Kindle app from Android (Google Play Store). It makes no sense to me that they allow one versus the other.

At the very least they could support and "Chromecast" app so you can just browse and send the stream to the device, no need to play the content locally.

Amazon has been weird about their video app. It's like pulling teeth to get them to put it on various devices.

Voltron64

Has anyone had problems getting 5.1 audio to play when using Netflix? No sound is playing. 5.1 works fine with my Xbox and PS3 using the same setup.

Has anyone had problems getting 5.1 audio to play when using Netflix? No sound is playing. 5.1 works fine with my Xbox and PS3 using the same setup.

Hmm, I'm not sure if Dolby Digital Plus is backwards compatible or if Chromecast has a fallback codec to use in case it's not supported. It's quite possible that it's because your receiver doesn't support Dolby Digital Plus.

Edit: Nevermind, Dolby Digital Plus will step down to Dolby Digital, so that's not it.

How was Hulu able to release an app with support if the SDK isn't final yet? Shouldn't other companies be allowed to release support too?

More than likely, the SDK is fine right now. Maybe not completely finished, but stable and with enough features to release it. They just don't want to finalize it and make it public for whatever reason, probably having to do with wanting big content owners to feel like they've got first dibs.

Yet again Play Music is broken. When my phone's screen turns off (necessary to save battery) the connection breaks. I'm starting to regret my purchase now.

yyzjohn

Banned
Yet again Play Music is broken. When my phone's screen turns off (necessary to save battery) the connection breaks. I'm starting to regret my purchase now.

Weird I've been using play music streaming for a year now and never have an issue.

Oh you mean Chromecast. Never mind I thought I was in the Android thread.

LOLDSFAN

Weird. When I was using YouTube, the opposite happened. I lost wifi (due to being out of range not sleeping) and then it froze on my phone but kept playing on the TV. The only way to stop it was to turn off the TV.

SimleuqiR

This is probably why Amazon won't give Chromecast a second throught:

http://9to5google.com/2013/10/03/is...ecast-type-of-tv-product-called-the-firetube/

Amazon has all of this content on the Fire and no way to put it on a TV yet. They have to release some type of Chromecast competitor and quick. There are, of course, rumors of an Amazon TV. Lots of rumors. Bloomberg thinks Fall 2013 is the planned launch window. That’s right now.

Which sucks because I feel Amazon should have their services on all platforms.

Fixed.

After experiencing Chromecast's ease of use and out of the way form factor, I rather not buy another set top box to stream web content.

You forgot Android phones, Android tablets, and I think even iPhones unless that finally came out. I know there's an iPad app, but I thought it was iPad only.

AndyD

aka andydumi
I'm confused, can't you get Amazon video content on consoles as well as things like roku and I guess directly on smart tvs? Hardly 'no way to put it on a TV yet'.

Actually some/many devices don't have access to the prime free videos library, just the purchased videos library.

Top Bottom