• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chronicles of Riddick: En route from Xbox to PS2 for Xmas

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
trippingmartian said:
In some cases this is excusable. Skies of Arcadia: Legends is a good example of a port that has updated content that is only available on one system.

B00007KUUD.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

I disagree with that. There is upgraded content, but not nearly enough to change the game. Same goes for RE2 on N64...

What if Microsoft paid for it's exclusivness, somethin VU knew about... but Not Vin Diesel.

What about a Game Cube version?

I'm sure it would look ... Better than a PS2 version.

Sysgen

GaimeGuy said:
Oh please, don't give me that. Riddick has it, it's going to the Ps2. Splinter Cell had it, it went to all platforms. Halo and Star Wars: KoToR had it, they're both going to, or, in Halo's case, already on, the PC.

The exclusive tag simply means that at the time of release, it's exclusive to that platform. Nothing more.

Don't take this wrong way, but you are posting out of yer ass. Splinter Cell did not have the Only on Xbox logo. Check your facts before posting and making absolute assumptions.

dark10x

The Bookerman said:
What if Microsoft paid for it's exclusivness, somethin VU knew about... but Not Vin Diesel.

What about a Game Cube version?

I'm sure it would look ... Better than a PS2 version.

Of course a GC version would smoke the PS2 version. It too would suffer in a port, but at least GC is capable of matching most of the effects.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Also, the "Only on Xbox" label usually only applies to CONSOLES. Apparently the PC doesn't count as it's viewed as a different market.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
well, ok, I was wrong. No need to get all angry. But you can't deny that they DID say it was only for X-box in the commercials.

The point is, the whole "only for" or "exclusive" thing, whether on boxes, commercials, whatever, is not necessarily permanent. It means that, at the time of the release, it IS exclusive to that platform.

Rhindle

GaimeGuy said:
well, ok, I was wrong. No need to get all angry. But you can't deny that they DID say it was only for X-box in the commercials.

The point is, the whole "only for" or "exclusive" thing, whether on boxes, commercials, whatever, is not necessarily permanent. It means that, at the time of the release, it IS exclusive to that platform.
The convention thus far -- to which there have been no exceptions -- has been to use the label on the boxart only for console exclusives, and to use the label in advertising for timed exclusives.

if they actually take the time to find a developer that knows the ps2 hardware well, and use things like the HDD to their advantage to help, it could turn out to be a good port. Unfortunatly, they'll probably just get some B-grade porthouse nobodies ever heard of named "FunTimeGames" or some shit to just do a quick cash-in port out by the holidays. I can always dream though.

Ranger X

But whatever guys, what the fuck is supposed to be a big issue in this whole story? What if Riddick is also on PS2? Why do we care????
You play it on Xbox and it's good. No problem
MANY people with a PS2 and no Xbox will like to play the game on their console. No problem.
The develloper make a pretty buck with the Xbox version --- having a PS2 version is a sure buck. No problem.

Rhindle

Wyzdom said:
But whatever guys, what the fuck is supposed to be a big issue in this whole story? What if Riddick is also on PS2? Why do we care????
You play it on Xbox and it's good. No problem
MANY people with a PS2 and no Xbox will like to play the game on their console. No problem.
The develloper make a pretty buck with the Xbox version --- having a PS2 version is a sure buck. No problem.
There would be no problem if there actually was a PS2 version in the works, but there isn't. So the problem is that you have a misleading thread. It isn't the thread-starter's fault though -- Gamespot posted a misleading story based on old information and didn't bother to check their facts.

Ranger X

Rhindle said:
There would be no problem if there actually was a PS2 version in the works, but there isn't. So the problem is that you have a misleading thread. It isn't the thread-starter's fault though -- Gamespot posted a misleading story based on old information and didn't bother to check their facts.

Thanks. I didn't check on Gamespot of course.

dark10x

The convention thus far -- to which there have been no exceptions -- has been to use the label on the boxart only for console exclusives, and to use the label in advertising for timed exclusives.

You ARE applying this ONLY to XBOX, yes? There are exceptions on other consoles...

I can't wait to get this game for $10 at Best Buy this winter for Xbox while everyone else is paying full price for it on the PS2.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Heh, that actually sounds likely, but it would be pretty bizarre considering that his own company actually had involvement with the game - wasn't he actually partly funding it?

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
evilromero said:
I can't wait to get this game for $10 at Best Buy this winter for Xbox while everyone else is paying full price for it on the PS2.

Just borrow it off a buddy like I did. You can beat the game in two days with a couple of extended sittings, probably one if you weren't all that occupied. Sure, there's some reply in the form of finding all the cig packs, but frankly the extras weren't exactly making me go out of my way for them.

Top Bottom