• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cities Skylines 2 console release delayed indefinitely

Draugoth

Gold Member
cities-skylines-ii-landscape.jpg.webp

Source

We wanted to update you on the console release schedule. Unfortunately, we have not yet met the stability and performance targets we set for the console release. Without a Release Candidate (RC), we are now unable to meet an October release window. While we are making slow but steady progress, there are still unresolved issues impacting the game in ways that harm the player experience we want to deliver. We expect to receive a new RC, which will undergo a thorough review in August.

This evaluation will determine whether we can begin the submission process and provide a solid release date, or if further issues need to be addressed. We understand this is disappointing, and it’s not what we had hoped for either. However, we are committed to keeping you informed throughout this development process, even if the updates aren’t always what we’d like. Thank you for your understanding and support.

StereoVsn

so the pc version is gonna be a performance train wreck, thanks for giving us advanced notice.
It is already a train wreck on PC. They have been trying to patch things up with varying degree of success.

What a shit show though. I just don’t get how they went from Skylines 1 to Skylines 2 (especially the terrible initial release) and though it would have been ok to release.

Edit: Also, Paradox hasn’t been performing well overall so not sure how much more rope the studio has of the game keeps tanking.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
This game was released in alpha state, at best. The sim is fucked, the performance is fucked, the content is fucked. At this point I don't know if it will ever be finished.

Sybrix

Cities Skylines 1 was such a good game and destroyed Sim City.

Skylines 2 is a colossal mess, the whole simulation mechanic is broken, you can build a city but the city doesnt work, peds, input output doesnt work at all.

AND STILL.... they push out DLC!!!! It's so laughable.

This mess of a game would never run on console, it wouldnt work.

The game will be ready in 2 years time hopefully.

XXL

Lol. Not surprising. They can barely get the game working properly on pretty high end PCs.

Paasei

I’m still playing part 1. Didn’t bother with Skylines 2 because of its issues. Looks like I did the good thing so far.

Thick Thighs Save Lives

NeoGAF's Physical Games Advocate Extraordinaire
Not really surprising considering the mess the game still is on PC. Also, VGP apparently has the console version in "stock" so hurry up guys!

hXBYOGd.png

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
How did Paradox allow the PC version to release in such a piss poor state?

It's unfortunate this this is still in such bad shape, the first one was a fun little time waster. You've got to wonder how they managed to botch a sequel this bad.

Neon Xenon

Given the amount of issues the game's been having since launch (maybe calling it "Early Access" would be more appropriate), no shit the console release has been delayed indefinitely.

Last edited:

LakeOf9

It's honestly a shame, especially with how amazing the first one was

But yeah, probably best to spend time on getting it to a good state before trying other things. If games like Cyberpunk or Fallout 76 could be redeemed, I see no reason why this wouldnt be

Hudo

these kinds of games are PC-centric anyway. do they really sell well on consoles?
It seems there's a market. I mean, Microsoft even bothered to port Age of Empires II: DE with a control scheme specifically made for the controller. And people tell me it's actually not bad for a console port. (It seems it was heavily inspired by what Halo Wars did)

Last edited:

TransTrender

Gold Member
What did happens between the two releases?
Right?
Was there an engine change, or a complete turnover in employees?
It's crazy the PC version launched as bad as it did and still remains bad.
EDIT: Looks like both games use Unity.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
Best to release it in a good shape than in a poor shape and ruin the reputation. I mean CITY Skylines exist because of how bad Sim City was. The City builder community remembers.

diffusionx

Gold Member
A bit dramatic, it's not like it's at risk of being canceled. It's just delayed past October, and there won't be an update until August (which is only 4 weeks away).
this is actually the third delay for the console release - it was originally supposed to be released same day as PC, then pushed to spring, then pushed to October, now who knows. And the game is now, almost a year after release, still a total mess with major performance and gameplay issues. They also refunded all the preorders - whether it comes out at all is an open question.

Last edited:

Roxkis_ii

Man, this was likely the only way I would have been able to play this game since I just own a laptop. I hope they can get the console version out the door at some point. I would love to give this game a go.

Kenpachii

Got it on launch, game ran abysmall on high performance like single digits on a 4080 at times, the visual quality was shockingly bad to the point it was a complete pixel mess that ugly because of fsr and resolution scaling. Refunded soon after.

What a complete shit show.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Another case of a traditionally PC-developed game gets developed for console and results in a lower output quality. Quit doing this, devs.

I understand why there's so much emphasis on traffic in these games, but I'd like it if their next game promoted more walkable cities and placed more emphasis on public transport and environment/wellness (sound pollution, criminal activity, corpos v small business, etc).

this is actually the third delay for the console release - it was originally supposed to be released same day as PC, then pushed to spring, then pushed to October, now who knows. And the game is now, almost a year after release, still a total mess with major performance and gameplay issues. They also refunded all the preorders - whether it comes out at all is an open question.
It's just a matter of making it work. It'll happen. Good things take time.

GHG

I understand why there's so much emphasis on traffic in these games, but I'd like it if their next game promoted more walkable cities and placed more emphasis on public transport and environment/wellness (sound pollution, criminal activity, corpos v small business, etc).

Transport fever 2 is what you're looking for:

Puscifer

so the pc version is gonna be a performance train wreck, thanks for giving us advanced notice.
It already is, they fully admitted their publisher made them launch it before optimization. Cities By Diane on YouTube made a long video about how even the water physics are broken compared to the first game leading to accidental flooding of entire cities without explanation

Mercador

Right?
Was there an engine change, or a complete turnover in employees?
It's crazy the PC version launched as bad as it did and still remains bad.
EDIT: Looks like both games use Unity.
I would bet on a team change but you never know. Pandemic was difficult for everyone. I wonder if working from home got any impact on videogame industry.

GHG

I would bet on a team change but you never know. Pandemic was difficult for everyone. I wonder if working from home got any impact on videogame industry.

People need to stop blaming the pandemic or using it as an excuse for incompetent developers/publishers.

We are well past that point now and this is an industry that was one of the least impacted from a pipeline perspective.

Mercador

People need to stop blaming the pandemic or using it as an excuse for incompetent developers/publishers.

We are well past that point now and this is an industry that was one of the least impacted from a pipeline perspective.
Yeah, you are right but I wonder building games from home is not more difficult than being on site. I'm in IT and some projects seem to work better when people are around for some reason.

StereoVsn

Yep, bike lanes, walkable cities, etc, would be cool.

But you still need traffic and public transport regulation.

StereoVsn

Yeah, you are right but I wonder building games from home is not more difficult than being on site. I'm in IT and some projects seem to work better when people are around for some reason.
Ops stuff generally doesn’t matter, but architectural sessions differ in my experience. My company is now back to getting bunch of architects in a room for a few days vs weeks of remote back and forth. Took me two years to convince management on this.

For dev stuff, it depends on a project, hard to generalize. If it’s agile, IMO, it helps to have folks in same place unless people are super disciplined.

If it’s more regular waterfall stuff, remote is usually fine.

Last edited:

sendit

How did Paradox allow the PC version to release in such a piss poor state?

This is from the developer AMA Reddit thread:
"...we just don't believe there would be a long term benefit in setting the target to 60fps,"
"It is worth mentioning for a game like this, the performance target is to run at steady 30FPS minimum (not 60 or more)."

You can see where their head was at. It's actually wild to me that you can be a developer/game designer and think this way.

Last edited:
Top Bottom