• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cities: Skylines |OT| Not Related to Cities XL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

marrec

Banned
Alright so I decided to be "that guy" and get a Pittsburgh map to build in. The only problem is the rivers are pretty poorly set up, they're too shallow to allow decent water pumping (I have 6k in my city right now and need 3 pumps to keep up with demand) and the sewage drainage is actually flowing UP RIVER instead of down river because of the speed of the flow.

Is there anyway I can edit the rivers in the map AND keep my current city? I really like how I have it set up. :(

I may just have to find a better map to build on that simulates the rivers better.

Crispy75

I really like this one, looks very realistic.

I think I'm going to do Wellington, New Zealand next. Similar sort of landscape, but even hillier.

dpSQZxR.png

(city not included)

EDIT: The terrain.party resolution outside the USA is not good enough - everything comes out blocky :(
EDITEDIT: I wish there was an Arid biome as well as Tropical, Temperate and Boreal...

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
god we're all going to end up as pseudo-civil engineers aren't we

No kidding. I spent a good hour and a half studying my traffic problems last night and trying to fix them. For the most part I succeeded too.

I turned this problematic intersection in my industrial district:

Into this nice roundabout that turned an always congested and red junction into a freeflowing lovely green one:

I also had another interchange with two highways crossing at angles that was not doing well, so I built a roundabout there as well and it helped out a lot:

This game is too much damn fun.

My city received their belated parks.

I've made the entire city cyan in terms of leisure availability.

Cue all the pent-up upgrades, many to the max!

Brought me from 25K/week all the way up to 47K/week. The city is printing money!

bj00rn_

Banned
So I'm carefully planning and perfecting my traffic situation for a couple of hours, rezoning, bulldozing and laying new road.. I was getting happy about what I did....And then I accidentally hit the quick load button.. *poof*, gone, lol..

I just go with a main highway connecting to city "districts" (I haven't set actual districts) via a sufficiently wide two-way road. Works pretty OK actually.

I think the more important thing is probably making sure that all the residents can get to where they want to be within a given timeframe, so I tend to end up making offices and commercial to be sandwiched or near residential areas.

Jellzy

Neo Member
Nah, I've found an overdependence on those to be a problem.

Indeed.

I watched many a stream/video (Skye) in particular where the usage of a roundabout was far more detrimental than a simple intersection.

A lot of people also seem to be upgrading their roads in the hope it will improve congestion but traffic flow/management just doesn't work like that. It requires more thought.

The logic needs a little work. Needs to take into consideration laning (you know what I mean) and also time. It seems the shortest route is the route taken even when it's not the quickest. This may be cause traffic doesn't actually take into consideration other traffic, although I'm not too sure about this. I haven't played it nearly enough.

Meier

I haven't used any roundabouts yet but I guess I need to. I've been adding more highways since I found out about how easy it was to raise roads.. traffic has actually gotten a bit worse (lol) with all my tweaking but oh well, we'll see how it goes. My biggest frustration is the micromanaging of the trash.. in theory, I should be incinerating about as much trash as I produce per week according to the stats page, but I can't even remotely keep up.

One thing I did was modify the default entrance from another part of the map -- I extended the highways and made it where there's no little connecting piece like I had before because it was just fucking everything up. I added some little U-turn spots to allow for turning around easily and that's helped. People can get to the other side fairly easily without affecting the flow.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Made a little map based on the Indonesian islands, I called it Archipelago, have a look on the workshop !.

It's an island with lots of elevation, rivers and waterfalls yet has some nice plateaus.
There's one highway connected to it, boat and flight routes and a (I hope) nice scenery.

Let me know what you guys think !

Nice, good work! How did you get the large sandy areas by the way? When I tried it, only the very edge of the water was sandy

Is there supposed to be something on the ground for resources? I don't really understand how the resource or district mechanics work. I've never seen any resources.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Is there supposed to be something on the ground for resources? I don't really understand how the resource or district mechanics work. I've never seen any resources.

Click the resources overlay on the overlay bar. It'll show you where they are.

z3phon

Oh this game is awesome. I need to get more free time to play it.
I just discovered that we can bring in our own 3d models in to the game. I'm thinking about giving that a shot and build some crazy looking stuff and see how far I can push the models with the games limitations. Something like Saurons tower from LOTR or some other cool looking structure.
Once I've made a building or two, I'd be open to recommendations and create buildings you guys want. All the buildings in the game seem to be pretty low poly so it should be very simple to make nicer looking buildings.
Here's a link to my website for anyone curious to see my work. http://www.m-marri.com/

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Is there anyway I can edit the rivers in the map AND keep my current city? I really like how I have it set up. :(

I may just have to find a better map to build on that simulates the rivers better.

Not sure if this would work, but you could go into the asset editor, and modify a water tower so that it provides 20x the water it normally does.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I just discovered that we can bring in our own 3d models in to the game. I'm thinking about giving that a shot and build some crazy looking stuff and see how far I can push the models with the games limitations. Something like Saurons tower from LOTR or some other cool looking structure.
Once I've made a building or two, I'd be open to recommendations and create buildings you guys want. All the buildings in the game seem to be pretty low poly so it should be very simple to make nicer looking buildings.
Here's a link to my website for anyone curious to see my work. http://www.m-marri.com/

Wow, your work is very impressive! I'm excited to see what kind of cool stuff you can make.

Polymath

Neo Member

I just wanted to say that i like your portfolio work! I can imagine that modding may be as fun as playing the game for you if you have that kind of skill-set.

No kidding. I spent a good hour and a half studying my traffic problems last night and trying to fix them. For the most part I succeeded too.

I turned this problematic intersection in my industrial district:

Into this nice roundabout that turned an always congested and red junction into a freeflowing lovely green one:

I also had another interchange with two highways crossing at angles that was not doing well, so I built a roundabout there as well and it helped out a lot:

This game is too much damn fun.

How are you guys making these raised roundabouts? I'm trying to use page up to raise it but it isn't doing anything.

Are these essentially custom roundabouts you're just making with three lane roads etc?

Btw these look awesome, nice work.

Crispy75

How do cargo and train stations work, do I need to connect both ways for it to function?

Trains have two functions: Cargo and Passenger. They have two scopes: Local and Regional.

Regional cargo trains spawn at the map edge and come to your city to export your goods from your industry, or import goods for your commercial shops. Trucks have to do the "last mile" distribution to/from the actual buildings.

Regional tourist trains spawn at the map edge and bring tourists to your city. (Tourists are like citizens without a job or home. They visit and spend money/time at commercial/leisure).

Local cargo trains spawn automatically and move industrial goods around your city, from industrial zones to commercial zones. Again, trucks have to do the "last mile" but it keeps those trucks off the main roads between cargo stations.

Local commuter trains work just like buses or metro trains. You have to manually set the routes and stops, and the Cims will incorporate them into their travel routes.

In an ideal world, You'd want all 4 systems to have their own segregated networks of track so that congestion can't spread. In practice, with a small city you don't need to do more than separate regional from local trains.

Trains can enter and exit stations from one end, but it effectively halves their capacity, as each incoming train must wait for the platform to come free. It's also a good idea to have a passing loop round each regional station, so that trains bound for other destinations can overtake a train that's stopped at a platform.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
This game is way too addicting. Three nights in a row I've stayed up well past my bedtime because I just can't stop playing.

Yeah, it really is. I'm still on my first city even, but having an absolute blast slowly expanding outward and tweaking things to make them better. 25 tiles really gives you lots of room. I was afraid the lack of region play ala Simcity 4 would bother me but I'm convinced it's a non-issue for me now.

I doubt I'll ever play SC4 again, I wouldn't be able to go back after a week of CSL.

Someone already made some awesome Skyrim Statues, one tiny and one fuuuuuucking giant

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
How do cargo and train stations work, do I need to connect both ways for it to function?

This post might help

Protip: Be aware of your industrial sectors and how they are linked by train. I have 3 main sectors of industry, and before they would all be linked by train in every direction. But then I noticed that some cargo trucks were going all the way across town to export their goods via the highway instead of dropping off their cargo at the perfectly fine train station right next to them.

What I noticed is that the train station wasn't focused on exporting goods. It was focused on transporting any intermediate goods from one industry sector to another, which wasn't necessary. Those intra-city trains would only be carrying 10% cargo from one industry section to another.

So, what I did was delete my triangle train track intersection things, so that all my train stations only had a route to the outside, and no way to interact with each other. This set their behavior to export only. Then, all my cargo trucks went to the nearest train station to export goods and my efficiency went up by a lot.

HOWEVER

That is not to say that all cargo train communication within your city is bad. It is probably inefficient if you don't have any specialization industry, but if you do, then intra-city train communication can be very efficient too, as long as it doesn't interrupt your communication between regular industry sectors (if you have more than one).

Since you can't choose where specialized industry will be due to the placement of resources, it's likely that your forestry industry, for example, will be in a separate location than your regular industry.

Your industry supply chain works like this:

1. You mine ore/pump oil/cut trees/farm produce with your specialized industry gatherer buildings.

2. They transport the raw materials to the secondary specialized industry buildings for processing. This is usually not a problem since processing buildings usually spawn right next to the gathering buildings too. (or they export the raw materials if you don't have enough secondary buildings to process it all)

3.The secondary processing buildings then transport their intermediary materials to regular industry for final processing. (or they export the intermediary materials if you don't have enough regular industry to process it all)

4. Your regular industry accepts the secondary materials, and creates the finalized goods that are then shipped to your commercial areas (or they export the finalized goods if you have more than your commercial zones can accept)

Without any train connection to each other, your specialized industry takes the intermediary materials to the regular industry for final processing by truck. It's not so bad if your specialized industry is close to your regular industry. However, it can become a problem if your specialized industry is far away from your regular industry. It can become a big problem if those trucks have to pass through any road bottlenecks, or through any residential areas.

This is where the train comes in. Have your specialized industry be connected to your regular industry by train. The specialized industry takes the secondary materials to the train, the train then takes those materials to your regular industry, bypassing all the traffic, and then trucks at the train station unload the secondary materials to your regular industry for final processing.

I hope someone finds this useful.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Since I've already built parks in my new city, will I need to delete them then rebuild them to get it to fix or start over? (I hope not. This is the best city Ive done so far.)

Also, I have not seen a single custom asset show up yet. At all. No Hermanos. No banana stands. No nothing. What's going on? Are they just a level I don't have? I want some chicken restaurants. :(

marrec

Banned
I'm thinking of redesigning my industrial region with alternating grids to reduce intersections at main throughways.

That's the kind of shit I want my Sim games to inspire. I'm sitting here, at work, staring at an Excel spreadsheet, thinking about how I can improve traffic on Crosstown Blvd.

I freaking love this game.

Skyzard

Banned
So I'm carefully planning and perfecting my traffic situation for a couple of hours, rezoning, bulldozing and laying new road.. I was getting happy about what I did....And then I accidentally hit the quick load button.. *poof*, gone, lol..

Time to give in to the autosave mod.

That's the kind of shit I want my Sim games to inspire. I'm sitting here, at work, staring at an Excel spreadsheet, thinking about how I can improve traffic on Crosstown Blvd.

I freaking love this game.

Agreed... Whenever I see a highway intersection I think, "Would this work in my city?"
It doesn't, but still.

billsmugs

The Linux performance fixes in the new patch are great, I can finally follow cars around and try the 1st person mod without getting ~8fps!

Are custom assets from the Workshop working properly for everyone else? I've subscribed to a quite a few (like the Sunken Park, and the Motherland Calls statue) and they are listed as enabled in the content manager, but they don't appear in any of the menus in game and if I try to load them in the asset editor I just get a blank area.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Spent all day trying to reorganize traffic into one way streets. In the end, the traffic situation ended even worse, so I spent the rest of the day rearranging it back to two-way streets. Traffic still terrible. FML

This is definitely one of the problems I have as well. Should probably read up a bit on traffic management, easily the worst stats in my game in that area

Hari Seldon

I think my mistake in this game is in wanting to create a giant sprawling city, rather than smaller districts, each with their own highway access. Every attempt I have made in creating a sprawling city has ended up in nightmare traffic lol.

Hari Seldon

Spent all day trying to reorganize traffic into one way streets. In the end, the traffic situation ended even worse, so I spent the rest of the day rearranging it back to to-way streets. Traffic still terrible. FML

Yeah I had the same experience. Once you start going one way you are kind of all in and it is hard to get right lol.

Since I've already built parks in my new city, will I need to delete them then rebuild them to get it to fix or start over? (I hope not. This is the best city Ive done so far.)

Also, I have not seen a single custom asset show up yet. At all. No Hermanos. No banana stands. No nothing. What's going on? Are they just a level I don't have? I want some chicken restaurants. :(

If it's anything like the mod, you won't have to rebuild anything -- commercial demand should kick in quickly.

As for assets, yeah I think they are level dependent. I downloaded the McDonald's asset and couldn't find it til I put down some low density-commercial for the first time in a while (and it went away once it leveled up). Would be nice if people modeled multiple levels of the same asset, so the McDonald's goes from a tiny drive-through to a big restaurant, but that's obviously a lot more work. Though when a building levels up it probably chooses from a random pool so I don't know if you could chain theme-relevant upgrades like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom