• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cities: Skylines |OT| Not Related to Cities XL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

spiritfox

I love how this game is actually a City Planning 101 course.

edit: Elevated train stations! And terraforming! (All WIP of course)
2FBD1F3C46B45B3E63A6C245417A61F1E70C33D1

NeoCross

I really want to buy this, as in right now, but I'm afraid my 4 year old PC won't be able to handle it :( I'm still rocking my 4770.

Ayt

Banned
I just created a mod EarlyUnlock that will unlock the Boom Town milestone (2600 population) immediately.

This milestones allow you to create

highway
bus
school
fire/police/health service
garbage

So you can have an accelerated start without needing to use crappy road in the beginning!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=410611969

Does this force you to build those services early as well since those services aren't needed until that point normally.

I had a problem with this a well, it's actually because of the ramps on the paths and roads, which become too steep when it's placed on sloped terrain. When you're building it in the editor, make them a bit longer/shallower than the minimum required (by 2-3 spaces or so). Then it should work on most terrain.

That actually makes sense. I suppose I could place the bones down and add the ramps in game to make sure it works.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
I thought I'd show a critical comparison of Skylines vs XL

YdhberS.jpg

Can't believe cities skylines turned out so well considering it's made by the same people who made cities xl. They really turned the cities franchise around.

Jintor

Can't believe cities skylines turned out so well considering it's made by the same people who made cities xl. They really turned the cities franchise around.

Nah, the Skylines team made Cities in Motion, not Cities XL

Branding nightmare, I know, but Paradox is a bunch of whackos sometimes.

Sober

AWESOME MOD ALERT!!!

COMPLETELY rebalances the income/population of low/high density zones, making high density SUPER packed (thereby increasing traffic!)

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=410344523

Makes some other changes to garbage and income gained, and it should be really nice to now see like 500 workers in a single high res building instead of the wonky vanilla numbers
I guess this just means you're likely to hit the population hard cap much faster.

shockdude

He's trolling. He pulled off the same thing in the 500K sales thread and fished nearly 10 corrections in response (including one from myself).
I'm not buying this game, I hated Cities XL.
It is pretty funny how many corrections a single "Cities XL" post can get though.

Log4Girlz

Decided to buy based on the review thread. Haven't played much city simulator games since Sim City 4 and that just didn't grab me like 2000 did. I played hours and hours on end last night :( Didn't get no sleep.

Lach

Just noticed that pedestrian overpasses really helps at large intersections, because they won't use the zebra crossing and hold up the traffic. And they actually use them quite well...

AWESOME MOD ALERT!!!

COMPLETELY rebalances the income/population of low/high density zones, making high density SUPER packed (thereby increasing traffic!)

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=410344523

Makes some other changes to garbage and income gained, and it should be really nice to now see like 500 workers in a single high res building instead of the wonky vanilla numbers

This mod seems really interesting. Looking forward to trying out a new city with it.

Skux

At about 20,000 I noticed a huge industrial collapse when trying to expand. The trick to avoid this is to not make your workers too smart (don't build the university) if you want to use industry. If you have an educated workforce, go for offices.

tanuki

I don't know if anyone else is running this on a Macbook Pro Retina with dual GPUs, but if you want to play the game at a higher resolution, you need to go into the OS Display settings and Scale the screen to show 'More space'. Then there are more resolution options in the game. Looks a lot better and doesn't seem to affect the performance (so far).

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Well this is interesting

http://www.reddit.com/r/CitiesSkyli..._think_i_found_a_way_to_greatly_increase_the/

FatherlyObviousBat.gif

Tiny animation: https://gfycat.com/FatherlyObviousBat
To do this trick you have to first set the depot down, then remove the road you placed it next to, then set up the roads like this using 2-lane one ways, then convert them to Highway Ramps (fastest speed road).

I was using highways perpendicular to the cargo terminal before, but this seems to be quite a bit faster. The trucks no longer have to awkwardly turn 90 degrees to get in, which is a huge source of delay that limits the throughput.

This truck depot went from a truck line a mile long to basically no line at all. The line for my busiest terminal went down very significantly but is still there.

Some other tips to make sure you're getting max throughput:

Be absolutely certain that no other vehicles are using the train depot road. Garbage trucks love to use these roads so make sure there is a shorter route for them to use. When another car uses the road they usually get blocked by the cars leaving the depot, which then blocks the cars entering the depot. This is really bad!

Make sure that there is always a line of cars queued at the entrance. If you have traffic problems upstream, it could cause gaps in your delivery vehicles and that is wasted time.

EVO

I don't even own the game but this thread is my favourite in a long time. Can't wait to see what this game is like a few months from now. At this rate mod support will make it the best city builder ever, if it isn't already.

Is there any way at all I can place specific residential buildings in one area? I'm recreating where I live and I've downloaded a bunch of low density residential flats that are near enough similar to where I live, but how do I ensure that those particular buildings are actually built where I want them? Build, demolish, build until the correct ones appear?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Is there any way at all I can place specific residential buildings in one area? I'm recreating where I live and I've downloaded a bunch of low density residential flats that are near enough similar to where I live, but how do I ensure that those particular buildings are actually built where I want them? Build, demolish, build until the correct ones appear?

yep

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
He's trolling. He pulled off the same thing in the 500K sales thread and fished nearly 10 corrections in response (including one from myself).

It is pretty funny how many corrections a single "Cities XL" post can get though.

Lol you caught me. A bit of public service on my end, an effective way to highlight the games have nothing in common :p

Grief.exe

At about 20,000 I noticed a huge industrial collapse when trying to expand. The trick to avoid this is to not make your workers too smart (don't build the university) if you want to use industry. If you have an educated workforce, go for offices.

I've just been intentionally keeping my elementary and high school capacities in the upper red or yellow range. I can have as many universities as I want, but people can't make it through elementary and high school.

I don't seem to have as many issues that way.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Psykoboy2 - we were discussing this on your show last week, and here's the most definitive word. As we suspected, they had thought about doing a city builder game, but didn't go into active development until they saw how crappy SimCity turned out to be.

http://www.pcgamer.com/cities-skylines-greenlit-after-what-happened-to-simcity/
Was Skylines already actively in development when the 2013 SimCity came out?

It was not actively in development at that time. When they announced [SimCity 2013] I was pretty sure there was no way we would ever be able to convince Paradox that we should make this game. [Laughs] But, yeah, they gave us the green light after they saw what happened with SimCity.

So that was actually... seeing SimCity 2013 kind of stumble, that's when Paradox said, hey, maybe we should go ahead with this since people aren't really happy with the last SimCity?

Yeah, I think it must have helped a lot.

Pachael

Just need someone to make toll booths to help with traffic control.

I remember that I used them profusely in Rush Hour so I've never really had budget issues. Having them here would do the same - get the heavy trucks out of resi and through all the toll gates

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Psykoboy2 - we were discussing this on your show last week, and here's the most definitive word. As we suspected, they had thought about doing a city builder game, but didn't go into active development until they saw how crappy SimCity turned out to be.

Well that was a very good decision on their part. They managed to not only create a terrific game but swoop in on the carcass that Simcity 5 left behind. CSL does everything right that SC5 did wrong, and CO made all of the correct decisions where Maxis made all of the wrong ones. CO managed to truly learn from the mistakes that Maxis made and mostly corrected every one of them, impressively enough. It's what I had hoped that EA and Maxis would do with Simcity 5 after launch, but none of it ever materialized.

Now, it doesn't even matter, because CO has given us the city builder we've all been yearning for, with most of the features we wanted, and with a superb price tag to boot. They deserve all of their success with CSL, completely deserved, and I personally hope it outsells Simcity 5 and outlives Simcity 4. I still can't believe how much fun I've been having with this game, it's been such a breath of fresh air.

Psykoboy2

Yep, I figured that's how it happened. I really am happy for Colossal Order. It has been great to watch the success of this game continue to rise and rise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom