• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cities: Skylines |OT| Not Related to Cities XL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a few days old, but in case someone didn't see it...

http://www.pcgamer.com/the-strange-...s_source=steam&ns_linkname=0&ns_fee=0

The strange tale of a Cities: Skylines town with only one house

Click on the arrows to continue reading (there's a bit of the story update on every image). I thought the concept of the one house city was pretty cool! I wanna try to do something similar but just trying to get a small little town and see how the people interact with each other.

This is amazing! This game is very detailed.

Also lmao:

rGO2EZE.png

So I'm kinda stuck at 75k
My city just doesn't want to continue growing.
Everyone is super happy everything seems maxed out in regards to coverage.
But they just don't want to build new buildings.

What do I do to get some growth going?

Ikael

One thing about these games that I sorely misss is how they tend to lack the possibility of a multi-use buildings and non-zoning urbanism. Can you set up for example a building with shops at the street level, offices above and apartments at the top? Or are we stuck with 2D urban planing?

Klyka

Banned
One thing about these games that I sorely misss is how they tend to lack the possibility of a multi-use buildings and non-zoning urbanism. Can you set up for example a building with shops at the street level, offices above and apartments at the top? Or are we stuck with 2D urban planing?

Pretty sure mods will be able to do stuff like that.

I love this, my industrial area where my power plants are (oil/coal) became congested pretty bad and there were late deliveries of coal/oil from trucks and that resulted in them not operating and my entire city experienced a blackout for quite a while, lol. So awesome.

Also I saw this on reddit, so awesome. I'm going to pay more attention to my trees.

Yahsper

So I'm kinda stuck at 75k
My city just doesn't want to continue growing.
Everyone is super happy everything seems maxed out in regards to coverage.
But they just don't want to build new buildings.

What do I do to get some growth going?

I have the same problem. Fixing some traffic issues and reducing noise pollution seems to help a little bit.

glaurung

I saw that there are several Automatically Bulldoze Abandoned Buildings mods on the workshop. Can I just use them at any time, even in my already existing 20K city?

Trickster

Has there been anyone that have figured out what kind of max population size you could potential get if you get all the land plots?

Has there been anyone that have figured out what kind of max population size you could potential get if you get all the land plots?

With 9 plots should take some time and some serious density, with 25? Maybe not that hard actually because that is almost 3x the area.

They have said that 1mil is the hard cap, I don't remember if they said that it is easy or possible without cheesing the map and extreme mixmax.

spiritfox

Hmm...

So I was wondering how a pedestrian focused city would work. Not very well, I would say.

Unless I'm reading this incorrectly, we have 100% employment. However, industry is just not building for some reason. There are workers at the clinic and police station in the residential zone, which can't be helped. But pretty much no one else was working.

Oh, here is someone walking to work.

Here's another guy, at the Solar Plant (working with the all unlocked mod, which might skew this experiment). Funnily enough, he changed into a car after walking all the way from his house.

Commercial quickly ran out of goods to sell, until I added a road connection to the highway. If I wanted to do this again, I would try with residential on one side, and commercial and industrial together on the other.

Lastly,

They are so desperate for parking.

xBladeM6x

Wow, it's really really good looking.

That looks really good!
Thanks!
Actually surprising considering it's my first time ever doing a sim like this, so I'm actually ecstatic that you guys think this is even above passable. Lol
I was going for a more squared sort of GTA V map look. I started making some squiggly roads in residential areas when I saw people making utopia looking cities from the future, but mine definitely looks more like a grid. Lol

How is your traffic? Looking great! Lot of free spaces to expand too.
It's not fantastic, but it's definitely functional. It actually looks worse than it is. I basically remedied having bad traffic along the major roads, by splitting all of my districts into smaller bites. Like, creating a residential, and commercial area right next to each other, but doing that four times throughout my city so they're never too far away. Seems to work, because I'm rolling in millions of dollars. Lol

Lot of free spaces to expand too.
My city currently only uses 6 land plots, with even more room for expansion than just my rounded city limits. :D

Chariot

Thanks!
Actually surprising considering it's my first time ever doing a sim like this, so I'm actually ecstatic that you guys think this is even above passable. Lol
I was going for a more squared sort of GTA V map look. I started making some squiggly roads in residential areas when I saw people making utopia looking cities from the future, but mine definitely looks more like a grid. Lol
Well, I can make a city work. Got pretty easy to 100k, but it's another thing to make a good looking city in the proccess. Really cities like yours.

xBladeM6x

Solar energy is amazing. Just lord forbid if one of them catches fire. Your grid will go down if you don't have one as electricity backup production. Lol

Hmm...

So I was wondering how a pedestrian focused city would work. Not very well, I would say.

Unless I'm reading this incorrectly, we have 100% employment. However, industry is just not building for some reason. There are workers at the clinic and police station in the residential zone, which can't be helped. But pretty much no one else was working.

Here's another guy, at the Solar Plant (working with the all unlocked mod, which might skew this experiment). Funnily enough, he changed into a car after walking all the way from his house.

Commercial quickly ran out of goods to sell, until I added a road connection to the highway. If I wanted to do this again, I would try with residential on one side, and commercial and industrial together on the other.

Lastly,

so there is an unlock mod? how powerful is Solar?
is there some later solution for sewage that is cleaner?

Hmm...

Lastly,

I have a looooot of pedestrians in my city.
Metro station access from residential areas to parks, industry , schools, the train station (for tourists) and monuments as well as pedestrian walkway shortcuts to schools and parks from neighbouring residential blocks seems to cause a lot of pedestrian traffic.

edit:

First 3 are of my new city district with the aforementioned metro and walkway access, last one is of my old city core without those things.
Few cars and many pedestrians despite tons of high density residential, almost no peds but plenty of cars in the old core despite mostly low residential and low commercial.

bjaelke

I think a good solution to the abundant money "problem" would be the implementation of a purchasable (or unlockable) quarry / construction aggregate which would subsequently enable terraforming. Obviously this would come at a high cost, but basically work like the map-editor with the added dump trucks, excavators and construction time.

Chariot

Tell me your ways. I've been hitting stagnation in all markets constantly. Lol
Build a butt ugly city :p
Just keep building amd improving stuff. I just kept building even when there was no demand. I guess if nothing else helps and you have enough money you can reduce taxes.

devonodev

Also I'm having an issue with cloud saving. Basically the save is there stored on the cloud as far as my laptop is concerned, but I can't get it to show up on my PC at all.
Any suggestions, other than signing in and out on both?

Kletian

First city sim game since I gave up on SimCity 4 back whenever it came out. I'm loving this so far except I can just not wrap my head around building a coherant road system. The traffic coming off the main highway is rediculous no matter how many extra off rams and on ramps I build.

Yes, they do eventually.

But is there a way to tell how much it's producing? I established some oil industry pretty early in the game - and after not too long, when I select the natural resources tab, the black is mostly gone. Yet my industry in that immediate area still seems to be oil based, and they still seem to be producing.

It just seems hard to determine how much longer they have. When they do run out, will they switch to general industry, or will they start complaining about no resource or something....?

Jintor

But is there a way to tell how much it's producing? I established some oil industry pretty early in the game - and after not too long, when I select the natural resources tab, the black is mostly gone. Yet my industry in that immediate area still seems to be oil based, and they still seem to be producing.

It just seems hard to determine how much longer they have. When they do run out, will they switch to general industry, or will they start complaining about no resource or something....?

They're importing goods to produce now probably.

If I empty my refuse dumps, will the rubbish be transferred to my incinerator?

Either that or a another landfill that isn't set to empty also. Can't say for 100% certain that they prioritise incinerators over landfills but I haven't seen a situation where I set my landfill(s) to empty when I had incinerators and see them hauling trash to a another landfill instead of incinerator.

They do have a storage capacity though but mine have always been low before starting to empty my landfills.

diegotristanUK

Neo Member
Either that or a another landfill that isn't set to empty also. Can't say for 100% certainty that they prioritise incinerators over landfills but I haven't seen a situation where I set my landfill(s) to empty when I had incinerators and see them hauling trash to a another landfill instead of incinerator.

They do have a storage capacity though but mine have always been low before starting to empty my landfills.

Thanks for the advice, my refuse dumps are almost all at capacity right now!

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
Bought this game and...I'm terrible at it but it's so damn addictive.

I think I'm going too fast and trying too big a town/city. Taking a break at the moment but I'll go back later and take my time to see what happens.

Thanks to this game, I'm now going to build a PC and not buy a PS4 like I was going to in a few moths.

I haven't built a PC in over 15 years.

Can't wait.

The annoying part is that you can't easily delete lines and if you are like me and like to create overlapping lines. Well, let's just say that once one has to be remade/tweaked I might aswell remake/tweak all of them.

Off topic:
Caved in and rejoined the master race, got myself a 4690K. *bank balance sobbing in the background*

I have the CPU. Slapped this cooler on it.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835856005

My temps are 90-95* at idle and 120-130* after hours of playing this game. I am using 6 year old arctic silver, so Im sure temps would probably go a smidge lower if I bought some new stuff. I didn't have the budget to redo my water cooling :(.

cyress8

Banned
Every time I screw up my city it is because I expanded to fast. I have a line of vehicles going 10 miles down the highway trying to enter my city. It all start when II upgraded with high density. Everything was going so smooth before then. :( No traffic problems, ton of cash, houses leveled up. Now that traffic is so bad. My industrial area had started dying, then my commercial.

It happened so fast.

I was just playing around with my new dam unlock and planning where to place it.

Hopefully, I should be able to fix it when I get home.

Linius

I wanna try to start a small village with dirt roads and expand very slowly. I like to try micro managing at first getting a feel with the game. Never played a Cim game like this before anyways.

Wow, some really nice cities posted here. I am enjoying this game a lot so far but I have to de-program my end-game Sim City 2013 mind set. Micro managing traffic and roads was enjoyable to me, it made it almost a puzzle game. However, I am finding myself obsessing about my roads before there is even traffic problems in my city. I think I just need to relax and enjoy some of the smaller scale elements in my early cities. With Sim City it was so easy to fill up the entire city tile and obsessive micro managing was all there was left to do.

I am loving the road creation tools in general. So fun making overpasses and on ramps. I am not sure I fully understand the districts tool yet though.

xBladeM6x

If there's ever an "endgame" to this, it seems to be getting 75K population, or getting all the Monuments built, once you reach that population. Also, I've noticed that if after an hour of playing, if I exit the map, and re-load it, my CPU usage goes down by like 30%.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom