• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cities: Skylines |OT| Not Related to Cities XL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grief.exe

Thanks to this game, I'm now going to build a PC and not buy a PS4 like I was going to in a few moths.

I haven't built a PC in over 15 years.

Can't wait.

Bloodborne looks nice, but there is so much overlap now a days the consoles have become redundant at best in many ways.
You will be frequently blown away with the exclusive content as well.

ijqhXpmjsBjeV.gif

How can i have the "a dead person is waiting for transport" message if i have a metro station a few yards away?

What do you mean? Dead only are picked up by hearses' and they travel the roads, not the metro. A sick person can take the metro to go to a doctor, most likely.

Be merciful, it's my first city. 65k population.

WOW

Beautiful.

I have a thin line representing my industrial zone, but I love your dedicated industrial area. You must make a lot of goods.

Spl1nter

Hmm the game simulation if baffling me right now. I have 33% unemployment but there are 25 000 available jobs.

I think I over educated my populace and now the highly educated people wont take jobs.

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
Hmm the game simulation if baffling me right now. I have 33% unemployment but there are 25 000 available jobs.

Mismatch between education level and job offers education needed.

Also, there might be many seniors.

EDIT : yeah you figured out the problem while I was posting ^^

Aaron D.

Thanks to this game, I'm now going to build a PC and not buy a PS4 like I was going to in a few moths.

I haven't built a PC in over 15 years.

Can't wait.

That was Euro Truck Simulator 2 for me a couple years back. I'd been out of the PC game for 10 years by that point.

It's funny what moves us, huh?

Raven77

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT >>>

Do you like fluid physics?

Do you enjoy sandbox games where you can just mess around with the systems?

Do yourself a favor and load up the terrain tool. Select a new one. Use the sea-level tool and raise the sea level to your desired depth (the deeper it is, the bigger the waves. Now at this point, BE SURE to set the games "speed" to max otherwise the water moves sort of slow.

This game uses what I think is an incredible fluid displacement and movement system. Take the land raising / lowering tool, set it to a large brush, and set the strength to max. When you raise and or lower the land, the fluids will realistically move to compensate. You can do some CRAZY things with the water, especially when you then zoom way down to water level. I've managed to create some pretty interesting Tsunamis, tidal waves, etc.

Now, another interesting thing you can do is to create your own terrain, a place you would actually want to publish or play on. Put a coastline on it and put the sea level about where you would normally want it in an real game. Then do the exact same thing I mention above. It will flood your land. However, the water will eventually retreat back to the ocean leaving behind some interesting, natural looking lakes, etc.

Has anyone else messed with this? I think it is insanely fun and interesting.

My industrial bits have started saying they have no customers for their products, but demand for more commercial is zero. Anyone know what's that's about? I could try lowering taxes maybe?

I tried to make a little oil town off in a corner of the map and I put some residential in because the factories needed workers. But now there is a bunch of oil deposits underneath the houses so I don't think I can get at them. Is it right that the factories need to be right on top of the oil?

Another I'm confused about is my train system, they seem to run to sensible places and the lines are pretty congested since trains go around the clock, but they have hardly any passengers. Might try cutting the budget, to at least save money.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Well, 75k to 100k was harder than expected.

Road planning, road planning, road planning, road planning.. am i repeating myself?

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Finally, some sort of fix for the terrible antialiasing. Mmmmmm, Supersampling mod.

Dynamic Resolution

Doesn't 100% fix aliasing, but still way, way better than running at native res. The in-game AA really doesn't make any appreciable improvement on the jaggies from what I could tell, so until someone figures out (or CO patches in) some better AA filters, this seems like the best option for those that can run it.

That sounds great, as the AA in this game is honestly pretty bad. Does enabling the mod disable achievements though?

Grief.exe

Sounds like you want to do 4 lane into a two lane to keep traffic moving at all times, rather then running into bottlenecks.

My industrial bits have started saying they have no customers for their products, but demand for more commercial is zero. Anyone know what's that's about? I could try lowering taxes maybe?

It could be multiple issues, I still haven't fully wrapped my head around the economy aspect. Many times it's traffic congestion causing issues.

Make sure you have plenty of bus, subway, and train access to your satellite industrial towns. I think one of my issues right now is my industrial areas are on opposite sides of the map, which makes it difficult to ship products back and forth. I think I am going to expand my northern industrial area and add in cargo and passenger trains to help with importing/exporting material.

As for your passenger train problem, make sure you have plenty of tourist attractions and public transport throughout your city.

Strider

Here's some shots of my city.

This is my second city and I've avoided the problems I had with my first so far. Mainly some traffic problems and overeducating my population.

The thing I dislike the most right now is the unused space in the middle of my starting tile. Traffic flows much better when there isn't stuff on those main roads though. As is that roundabout is busy (but functional) and I'm afraid if I fill in all that space with commercial or something traffic will be a major problem. I'll figure out something I guess... Will eventually have to adjust the roads there I think.

My only knock against this game is that it's too easy. My city is humming and I'm at 25k population and nearing 1 million in the bank, making about 20k per week. There are no overt problems, all services are accessible, taxes are low, and there's plenty of happiness boosting policies in place.

Time to aggressively expand, i guess.

Grief.exe

I think I over educated my populace and now the highly educated people wont take jobs.

This is my second city and I've avoided the problems I had with my first so far. Mainly some traffic problems and overeducating my population.

Wouldn't the solution be to build more office jobs when there is Industrial demand?

I believe higher levels of industrial buildings will have higher education requirements too.

MrGlass

Following up on what foolishfellow said, here is an image guide:

Ff1L9Q8.png

Alternatively, if you were dumb like me, you may not have plugged in your monitor cable to your GPU

Holy shit, this helped a lot. I'm actually able to have a mix of medium/high settings and still keep it smooth. Thanks!

How sick will people get if I place my industrial areas right next to residential?

I want to make a new city and since the transit options bug me so much I'm going to try and make it as compact and walkable as possible. If I can get away with having industrial close and people just get a little sick I'm kind of OK with that until I get specialized industries / offices and can more or less replace that.

Wouldn't the solution be to build more office jobs when there is Industrial demand?

I believe higher levels of industrial buildings will have higher education requirements too.

This is why it would be neat to manage education by district, so you can deliberately keep an uneducated district to be your factory monkeys.

Does anyone know if there are some sort of physics to the sewage/water pipes? I am on the Golden Coast map, in the starting tile with a population of about 45k. In the far corner of the map there is a hill and I had just built up to it, it's the opposite corner from the coast line. For some reason when anything is built in that area there is water coverage but no sewer coverage toward the top of the hill, and I can't figure out why.

I have 3 sewage treatment plants and a ton of extra water and sewage capacity in my city. I just can't figure out what is going on it with. I had to demolish and dezone the entire area because any time buildings are built on it they don't get sewer coverage. When there are no buildings it has fine sewage coverage. Is there a limit to how far the pipes can service water/sewer from the pumping stations? I'm just confused as to what the problem is.

Spl1nter

There is not enough percentage of highly educated jobs at offices or industrial when your population is 73% highly educated. Honestly I think this is a case of poor simulation design.

There is not enough percentage of highly educated jobs at offices or industrial when your population is 73% highly educated. Honestly I think this is a case of poor simulation design.
I agree, there's just something fundamentally wrong with the negative consequences of education. People should also be really upset when they don't have access to schools.

It's not like there aren't highly educated people working in real life mining/forestry/oil industries.

That sounds great, as the AA in this game is honestly pretty bad. Does enabling the mod disable achievements though?
I'm at work, so I haven't tried it, but I'm pretty sure it will disable achievements, since it's categorized as a "mod". I think the only things that don't disable achievements are maps, assets, and those color correction LUT's.

Bah, I keep forgetting to check. Will the Nvidia control panel override the game settings and allow you to apply your own AA? Im at work and cant check.

Expensive Areas Mod: ExpensiveAreasMod makes the game harder by significantly increasing the costs for buying new areas (factor 10). The costs get even higher (10 + amount of unlocked areas) for each unlocked area.

Hard Times Mod: Is your city too prosperous? Does the game feel too easy?

This simple mod changes the economy from very loose to very strict. Effects:

- All construction costs doubled
- All maintenance costs doubled
- Relocation costs as much as construction
- No refunds

This mod does not effect leveling or demand like the HardMod does

Disable Free Money when your city upgrades

My only knock against this game is that it's too easy. My city is humming and I'm at 25k population and nearing 1 million in the bank, making about 20k per week. There are no overt problems, all services are accessible, taxes are low, and there's plenty of happiness boosting policies in place.

Time to aggressively expand, i guess.

Time to switch on the hard mode ?

Transitioning my industrial zoning to office has done wonders for my city. Gone are all my traffic problems. Offices generate so little traffic.

What I would like to see in a patch is an option not to have cars disappear, I know the reasoning behind why they disappear, when traffic gets really bad/gridlocked, then they disappear and restart their goods they were carrying so that the entire system doesn't ground to a halt.

But I want to maybe set a threshold for disappearance and let me deal with traffic mostly on my own. Not a huge issue, kind of a nitpick by me but just as an option it would be fine.

I was having huge problems with traffic and couldn't figure out for the longest time why all of my trucks were only using two dinky roads. Then I realized I had an area with a no heavy traffic policy blocking every other route in and out of my city. I fixed that and virtually eliminated all traffic. Putting in ports also helped a bit.

Amzin

Are the custom zoned buildings (new shops, houses, etc.) mods or assets? I haven't tried to add any since I want to play and unlock some achievements first, but if they're just assets I may as well throw them in for varieties' sake.

Are the custom zoned buildings (new shops, houses, etc.) mods or assets? I haven't tried to add any since I want to play and unlock some achievements first, but if they're just assets I may as well throw them in for varieties' sake.

Assets. You can sort by assets in Steam and just download them like that too.

Is there a known issue with fire stations? Mine seemingly ignore fires that are even a few feet from them:

I had a very similar problem. It must be a bug.

I think the way AI works is that they respond to the first occurrence of an issue, not the closest. It would also explain why the dead stick around for a while, even if you plop a cemetery or crematory right next to the infected areas.

Point is, that fire was problaby down the list of fires in your city and by the time those fire trucks could there, it was too late.

I think the way AI works is that they respond to the first occurrence of an issue, not the closest. It would also explain why the dead stick around for a while, even if you plop a cemetery or crematory right next to the infected areas.

Point is, that fire was problaby down the list of fires in your city and by the time those fire trucks could there, it was too late.

I was referring to the coverage map. I have no idea if they respond to fires (although one did occur across the street). Everywhere else in my city is green, but the road right near the fire station is gray as if not covered, and was shown as high fire risk. It made no sense.

Sounds like you want to do 4 lane into a two lane to keep traffic moving at all times, rather then running into bottlenecks.

It could be multiple issues, I still haven't fully wrapped my head around the economy aspect. Many times it's traffic congestion causing issues.

Make sure you have plenty of bus, subway, and train access to your satellite industrial towns. I think one of my issues right now is my industrial areas are on opposite sides of the map, which makes it difficult to ship products back and forth. I think I am going to expand my northern industrial area and add in cargo and passenger trains to help with importing/exporting material.

Thanks for the advice. I had some nasty congestion around my new cargo harbour, I've sorted it out and the demand issue seems to have gone away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom