• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cities: Skylines |OT| Not Related to Cities XL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tuxfool

Banned
PSA (in case this hasn't been posted yet).

There is a downsampling AA mod in the workshop. Results are hit and miss, it disables the internal crappy AA, but also breaks effects like the tilt shift.

go here if you're interested in giving it a shot:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=406629464

it should be noted that gaming on a 1080p monitor, results only start looking ok when scaling to 250% (4800x2416), however YMMV.

Durante

I'm at 44k now.

255710_2015-03-14_000qmj1m.jpg

The circular designs you see here (which consist of 3 concentric circles of alternating one-way roads) worked out really well, but connecting them with everything else is where the difficulty comes in.

Thank god for metros, I've got over 10 lines now.
... in a city with 44k inhabitants. Hmmm.

So uhh, I upgraded my parking lot/park and noticed how cims choose to enter it, is there an option in the asset editor to add another or an exit that I've missed? I did only just notice that you don't have to hold RMB to turn an object and just clicking would do it turn it like, 45 degrees.

You can get past it. If educated people have no other option, they will work the shitty jobs eventually.

Standard industry does. At level 3, 12 of their worker requirements is highly educated.
Ahhh, okay.
I've noticed that using massive one-ways for busy off ramps into your city is a huge advantage. I have an industrial quarter in the middle of my downtown and I have a huge one ways leading off in all directions so traffic can flow quickly from the off-ramp.

The cargo mention is huge too, have all trucks flowing into and out the same direction to alleviate some congestion.

I also have 'trash row' where all the landfills are on either side of a huge 6-Lane one way that wraps around.

That's what I did when I moved my cargo station, been working great though I ended up adding another one way into the same area, still been fine since my population is still lowish.

Chuck

Still without luck
I'd love for everyone with beautiful cities to show me your disastrous water pipelines

so i feel better about myself

t-ramp

Been working on this city for the last couple hours. Unfortunately, it seems that something is broken, as I haven't had any demand for commercial in quite a while. At this point I just plop down some more residential and office buildings when I feel like it. I have 24,000 population at the moment, and $700,000 cash on hand.

This game would really benefit from a blueprint/planning mode a la Prison Architect.

Seeing some of your cities makes me feel like a total wally.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
can someone please mod in an entire map grid overlay ;-;

Hehe, yeah I can see how that can be quite the bother.

I think I'd prefer it existed too. Should not be an immensely complicated mod to make since some of the framework for it already exists. Give it a couple of weeks.

Yea, sadly that is not helping.

Anyone got any ideas how to get my 105k people to build new commercial zones?

Demand seems to be dependent on the economics of your city. I discovered this after trying my first unlocked/unlimited money city.
It was not until people moved in to the city, and some of the commercial buildings established, that industrial buildings started to grow.

Additionally, traffic is set to "timeout" to prevent total city gridlock. But your city does get a penalty for this, so check to see if you have any areas with traffic issues.

A mod that shows where traffic is timing out would be fantastic, as it's tough to tell at a glance at the moment. Of course, if your a masochist, you could always use this mod

Mayjaplaya

Neo Member
I'd love for everyone with beautiful cities to show me your disastrous water pipelines

so i feel better about myself

Not sure if my city qualifies as beautiful, but I'm going SC4 style here

Also, I'm getting the HideUI mod because the in-game Hide UI option disabled all the data views

a1e83af9c2.png

The commercial demand/parks bug is really starting to take the enjoyment out of this game, hope it's fixed soon.

Right now I'm stalled at 70k and all my previously thriving commercial zones have disappeared. Think I'm gonna start a new city and revisit this one later.

Chuck

Still without luck
ok, i tried to move all my incineration plants to a corner of the city, but they're not operational for some reason?

Coconut

Banned
I'm at 44k now.

The circular designs you see here (which consist of 3 concentric circles of alternating one-way roads) worked out really well, but connecting them with everything else is where the difficulty comes in.

reminds me of vancouver a bit.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
The commercial demand/parks bug is really starting to take the enjoyment out of this game, hope it's fixed soon.

Right now I'm stalled at 70k and all my previously thriving commercial zones have disappeared. Think I'm gonna start a new city and revisit this one later.

Oh, it's basically confirmed that's a bug. Interesting, and shitty.

ok, i tried to move all my incineration plants to a corner of the city, but they're not operational for some reason?

They are connected to your road network?

I'm at 44k now.

255710_2015-03-14_000qmj1m.jpg

Can you take a picture of the circular road design?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Assets from the workshop don't disable achievements, it seems like user created utility buildings don't either. Only downloads from the "mod" category that you have to enable from the mod tab in the content manager in game seem to turn off achievements from what I can tell.

That's odd because you can totally cheat with the buildings too. Like, if you made, for example, an incinerator with 100 garbage trucks and a radius and garbage capacity of a bajillion. Or a 1x1 tile park that has an entertainment value and tourist attraction of 10,000 and doesn't require any money, power, or water to survive.

They're still experimenting with it. I'll link you the Reddit thread I saw it in but I can't find it anymore.

Thats would be excellent, I want to create some buildings with 3DS max and would be perfect for what I want to make.

Thanks in advance!

BTW Is there a good tutorial of how to create buildings for the game in 3ds max, not talking about tutorials of how to model, but of building sizes and LODs needed for cities skylines.

Mr.Mike

The circular design idea seems like the best bet to me so far. I did something similar but I've probably put too many circles per set and didn't use one way roads and have somehow created a traffic jam in the central roundabout.

I think I might start over and create a city with no intersections or 2 way streets.

KePoW

Banned
That's odd because you can totally cheat with the buildings too. Like, if you made, for example, an incinerator with 100 garbage trucks and a radius and garbage capacity of a bajillion. Or a 1x1 tile park that has an entertainment value and tourist attraction of 10,000 and doesn't require any money, power, or water to survive.

HEY!

aren't u the famous GAFer who is a Civilization-master?? I didn't know u play Simcity games too haha

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member

There's a mod that enables achievements when mods are enabled :D

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=407055819

Using it on my primary save on which I did not want mods to keep getting achievements, works pretty well, I can now use tree brush and other mods without worrying about achievements.

Note that it may only works on saves that never used mods.

Yeaaaah I should probably go back and at least change the tourist thing on my parking lot to 0... Some places should have a tourism attraction aspect but it sounds like all of them do.

I keep restarting cities in this game. I seem to just end up wanting to restart at 10K ...

Progression is too darned slow in normal mode, I think. Sometimes I just want to draw all the things, plop all the things, and let it run at the fastest speed unattended. But I can't exactly do that safely because of...well, lack of sufficiently good services and a finicky demand bar.

On another topic, I got myself a Paradox account (and the forum account, too).

FFS people really need to start tagging buildings as more than just "buildings" in the workshop. it's incredibly difficult to find anything at all.

I keep restarting cities in this game. I seem to just end up wanting to restart at 10K ...

I know those feels. I am never happy with my cities.

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
can anybody share some tips with me? i've lost count of how many times i've just quit and restarted my city. i can't make enough money to keep up. usually it's about the time the fire/police/education unlock. they want me to deal with fires/crime but just don't have money. tried taking out loans and increasing taxes and using budgets. also i'm no good at electrical grids. fine with water/sewage.

Ranger X

My city currently. Population of 94,000, and no major traffic issues at the moment. Though I actually love it when I find a major traffic jam or congestion, it's like a puzzle I like to figure out.

NOW this is not "Sim Town" to the opposite of previous Maxis' effort!!

**feels the urge to buy

can anybody share some tips with me? i've lost count of how many times i've just quit and restarted my city. i can't make enough money to keep up. usually it's about the time the fire/police/education unlock. they want me to deal with fires/crime but just don't have money. tried taking out loans and increasing taxes and using budgets. also i'm no good at electrical grids. fine with water/sewage.

You shouldn't have to lay down electrical lines other than the one from your power plant to the city itself. You can increase power output to a certain degree by increasing its funding in the budget too. So you don't necessarily have to build a new power plant every time you start getting brownouts (though you will if you expand your city more).

If you're ever making money, I'd often just sit while the city is stable and put some money in the bank. You can ignore education right off that bat as well, it's more important to get police and fire coverage (which again can be expanded via budget).

Chariot

Amazing. Makes me really want to rethink things. When I get home I need to do some more work.

BTW, how do you unlock monuments? What population do you need?

Also, I tried to get the Frenetic Mayor achievement and clicked a police building 100+ times and never got it. Did I do it wrong? How do you get it properly?

And not any police building, the big one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom